The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default scheffler, kuper and marshall all UFAs next year?

we need to get these guys extended asap if im correct. if they all go UFA we wont be able to sign them all, most importantly marshall.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

I read somewhere that Marshall's contract is jumping from 456k to over $2 million this year because of incentives. Good for him.

Also, when teams have 3 marquee free agents (there might be more?), you generally see one taken care of before the season, one during the season, and one after the season. Teams usually save the most difficult to get done (or easiest to franchise) for last. So, Brandon, you may have to wait.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

Who gets franchised?
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
I read somewhere that Marshall's contract is jumping from 456k to over $2 million this year because of incentives. Good for him.

Also, when teams have 3 marquee free agents (there might be more?), you generally see one taken care of before the season, one during the season, and one after the season. Teams usually save the most difficult to get done (or easiest to franchise) for last. So, Brandon, you may have to wait.
That might be good anyway. I want to see his arm come back and I'd like to see if McDaniels can make him take his game to the next level. He could be Randy Moss good, but if he doesn't apply himself he'll be a "pretty good" starter in the mold of Yancey Thigpen.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I want to see more creative route combos. Having Marshall running across the formations, put in motion, and other ways to get him the ball.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Even if they don't address their contracts, it's my understanding that none of these guys will be UFAs next year because they don't have enough years in the league. The 2010 "uncapped" year means they're essentially stuck with us due to a technicality if I'm not mistaken.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

They will only be UFA if a new CBA is finished. Otherwise they are RFA.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Even if they don't address their contracts, it's my understanding that none of these guys will be UFAs next year because they don't have enough years in the league. The 2010 "uncapped" year means they're essentially stuck with us due to a technicality if I'm not mistaken.
Here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Here's some early indications of what's ahead.
A general manager told me that the projections for players scheduled to be free agents -- if it were a capped year -- could be upwards of 170 fewer players if it is uncapped. Every player from the 2005 draft who signed a five-year contract and every player who signed a four-year deal in 2006 would miss out on eligibility for free agency and revert back to their club as a restricted free agent. Keep in mind, teams target this group over all others when it comes to spending the big money in free agency.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

They will all be RFAs. Since 2010 will be uncapped you need 6 years to become UFA, they will all only have 4 so we can tender them.

All that aside, I do think we extend an offer to Marshall when the regular season roles around, I think they want him to get through the offseason without incidents.

Kuper will probably start negotiations during the offseason. Scheffler I am not so sure about, it depends on what his market is going to be, right now he is an oft-injured pass catching TE, if he will settle for a deal in the area of the deal Clady has now (with less guaranteed) I think he will stay.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Until Scheffler can prove that he can stay healthy, we shouldn't spend serious money on him. Right now he's all potential, little production.

Last edited by telluride; 01-16-2009 at 11:18 AM..
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Scheffler needs to stay healthy otherwise I could care less. He's great and all but oft injured.

Marshall and Kuper are must signs though.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Tight Ends are usually pretty cheap by NFL standards. Considering Tony's injury history, lack of blocking ability and relationship with Cutler - I'd hope he wouldn't be too hard to resign. I'm assuming at some point Graham's contract will be reworked (if not released depending on his role in McDaniels' offense) and that money could be allotted to Scheffler.

Kuper shouldn't be terribly difficult either. The Broncos have always taken care of their OL. Nalen, Lepsis, Hamilton and Neil are all examples of guys who never hit the open market.

Marshall's a big one. As long as he's not planning on holding out, there's no reason to give him big money now until we know his arm is all the way back.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Tight Ends are usually pretty cheap by NFL standards. Considering Tony's injury history, lack of blocking ability and relationship with Cutler - I'd hope he wouldn't be too hard to resign. I'm assuming at some point Graham's contract will be reworked (if not released depending on his role in McDaniels' offense) and that money could be allotted to Scheffler.

Kuper shouldn't be terribly difficult either. The Broncos have always taken care of their OL. Nalen, Lepsis, Hamilton and Neil are all examples of guys who never hit the open market.

Marshall's a big one. As long as he's not planning on holding out, there's no reason to give him big money now until we know his arm is all the way back.
Good post, but Marshall I certainly disagree with. We should pay him sooner than later. He's already got a pair of seasons average at 1300 yards... do we wait until he posts an Andre Johnson season and then have to make him the highest paid receiver in the NFL? Or we could hit it now and pay him a pro bowl rate.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Good post, but Marshall I certainly disagree with. We should pay him sooner than later. He's already got a pair of seasons average at 1300 yards... do we wait until he posts an Andre Johnson season and then have to make him the highest paid receiver in the NFL? Or we could hit it now and pay him a pro bowl rate.
for sure, we need to avoid any issues with him now and get him signed to 5-6 years.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
I expect the Broncos to take the Pats model of player management. You will get paid well to stay or come here but if you are looking for a payday, don't let the door hit you on the rear. Marshall is a good WR but there are many holes in his game.

Kuper will be the key signing. He is a big, quick interior lineman that plays well with the line they have. Sign him long term should be the top priority. Shef should take less money to stay here. If all else fails, try to sign Marshall to a team friendly deal, if not, franchise and trade his ass.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #16
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That might be good anyway. I want to see his arm come back and I'd like to see if McDaniels can make him take his game to the next level. He could be Randy Moss good, but if he doesn't apply himself he'll be a "pretty good" starter in the mold of Yancey Thigpen.
He's 25 and already had 2 seasons of 100+ recepts and 1300 yards. Yancey Thigpen Wishes. We are harsh on our own players here
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #17
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
I expect the Broncos to take the Pats model of player management. You will get paid well to stay or come here but if you are looking for a payday, don't let the door hit you on the rear. Marshall is a good WR but there are many holes in his game.

Kuper will be the key signing. He is a big, quick interior lineman that plays well with the line they have. Sign him long term should be the top priority. Shef should take less money to stay here. If all else fails, try to sign Marshall to a team friendly deal, if not, franchise and trade his ass.
look at what happened to the giants without burress. thats what would happen to us permanently without marshall, it would close down the passing lanes for the other receivers. he needs to be a bronco for life
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

There are many holes in every third year player, dude. Coaches help clean that up.

You can't retain a player like him without coughing up a payday, but losing a player like that is disastrous.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #19
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
He's 25 and already had 2 seasons of 100+ recepts and 1300 yards. Yancey Thigpen Wishes. We are harsh on our own players here
That's true. I undersold Marshall but I just know what he can do and want to see him get there.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #20
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:

Why does everyone assume that just because we have a coach from the Patriots coming over, that we will suddenly also adopt their FO way of doing things? We got McDaniels, not Pioli. The Goodman's have their own system, and it's one that Bowlen likes or he wouldn't have kept them on. I don't expect you to see a huge diference in how contracts are handled this year vs the last few.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #21
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
There are many holes in every third year player, dude. Coaches help clean that up.

You can't retain a player like him without coughing up a payday, but losing a player like that is disastrous.
did not say they shouldn't pay him. Pats players all took a home discount to stay or come to the Pats. I believe you will see that culture here.

TSI-don't compare Burress to Marshall. 2 total different offenses and QB's. What did the Broncos do to the Raiders without Marshall? The Giants have a good o-line, good rb's and a bunch of #2 and #3 wideouts....
Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #22
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy

marshall is still under contract next season
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #23
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Why does everyone assume that just because we have a coach from the Patriots coming over, that we will suddenly also adopt their FO way of doing things? We got McDaniels, not Pioli. The Goodman's have their own system, and it's one that Bowlen likes or he wouldn't have kept them on. I don't expect you to see a huge diference in how contracts are handled this year vs the last few.
If the front office runs the same way, the McDaniels will fail. They need to work in tandem and the Goodman's need to understand and find the players that fit the current system, not how it was done in the past.

You create a winning culture and environment, players are going to come.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #24
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
If the front office runs the same way, the McDaniels will fail. They need to work in tandem and the Goodman's need to understand and find the players that fit the current system, not how it was done in the past.

You create a winning culture and environment, players are going to come.
I guess I should have said that it will be run similar to last year, when the Goodman's actually had power. Which I wouldn't consider a failure. We brought in a few free agents, nothing spectacular... most of them were misses but maybe you can balme that on Shanahan, maybe you can't. However, it was a relatively quiet free agency with a strong focus on keeping our own and building through the draft. I don't see that philosophy changing this year. We might go after one big name in FA but I think people are going to be disappointed if they expect much more than that.

And to your last point, this town already has a winning culture, and players already do want to come. That hasn't been a problem in Denver for at least 10 years.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
did not say they shouldn't pay him. Pats players all took a home discount to stay or come to the Pats. I believe you will see that culture here.

TSI-don't compare Burress to Marshall. 2 total different offenses and QB's. What did the Broncos do to the Raiders without Marshall? The Giants have a good o-line, good rb's and a bunch of #2 and #3 wideouts....
Well, I think we HAVE seen that culture here. Every great player that's resigned with the club has done so for less than they could've had in FA (the sole exception MAY be Trevor Pryce's second contract). Even with a discount, a young, premier player like Marshall is going to be expensive, and every season that price is headed in one direction.