The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer
 
Popcorn Sutton's Avatar
 
Don't mess with Popcorn

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Who cares
Posts: 3,766

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme
Default PFT: Schwartz wants Bates or Schottenheimer for Lions OC...

REPORT: SCHWARTZ WANTS BATES OR SCHOTTENHEIMER TO RUN OFFENSE
Posted by Mike Florio on January 15, 2009, 11:44 p.m.

Now that Jim Schwartz is the new coach of the Detroit Lions, heíll have to lure assistant coaches to a franchise that has won one playoff game since Dwight D. Eisenhower was running the country.

At the top of his list on the offensive side of the ball, per Chris Mortensen of ESPN, are Broncos quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates and Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

Mort reports that Bates signed a three-year extension with the Broncos after coach Mike Shanahan was fired. However, the Broncos recently gave Bates permission to interview with the Raiders for a position on the teamís coaching staff; if the Broncos would let Bates jump to their arch-rivals in Oakland, the Broncos surely would let Bates go to Detroit.

As to Schottenheimer, Mort says that the holdover from Eric Manginiís staff might ask out of his contract, if he isnít hired to be Manginiís replacement. But Mortensens also says that the Jets prefer to keep the offensive staff in place, if the team eventually hires Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan or Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.


It's sounding more and more like Turner is going to be the only coaching holdover from last season.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Bye Bates! We hardly loved your 2 to 1 pass to run ratio.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

What if Cutler decides he can't live without his pal, and decides to retire to become Bates' QB coach in Detroit? WHAT THEN?!?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,224

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

i am sure this has to due with Shanny talking with Jeff Fisher and letting him know what a good coach Bates is going to be. Or Hermindinger Sp? talking up his young offensive assistant
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Borks147
the dude abides...
 
Borks147's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hanover NH
Posts: 1,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
i am sure this has to due with Shanny talking with Jeff Fisher and letting him know what a good coach Bates is going to be. Or Hermindinger Sp? talking up his young offensive assistant
or, you know, maybe it was the whole #2 offense in the league the first year calling plays thing........
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,823

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Calvin Johnson I have two words for you: bubble screen.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,702

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Bye Bates! We hardly loved your 2 to 1 pass to run ratio.
yea bates! we gave you so many non-injured running backs to work with to, which made our running game effective enough to justify calling ANY running plays!
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
rugbythug
Church Eyes.
 
rugbythug's Avatar
 
Salty Dog

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,053

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
or, you know, maybe it was the whole #2 offense in the league the first year calling plays thing........

Can we stop throwing around this #2 offense in the League Crap. You act like we did not see the games.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #9
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
yea bates! we gave you so many non-injured running backs to work with to, which made our running game effective enough to justify calling ANY running plays!
That excuse works at the end of the season, but Denver didn't start the year with 7 injured RB's.... the playcalling was still unbalanced when there were healthy backs
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #10
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer
 
supermanhr9's Avatar
 
"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Back in DENVER BABY!!
Posts: 1,214

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody
Default

I'd hate to see Bates go because I know Cutler will start pouting, and there goes our chances next year. We all knwo how good he plays when the pouting starts up. This is news to me that I had no idea he interviewed w/ the raiders. What the hell do contracts mean anymore? You sign a contract you stay with them unless you get fired. Am I the only one with this belief?
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
I'd hate to see Bates go because I know Cutler will start pouting, and there goes our chances next year. We all knwo how good he plays when the pouting starts up. This is news to me that I had no idea he interviewed w/ the raiders. What the hell do contracts mean anymore? You sign a contract you stay with them unless you get fired. Am I the only one with this belief?
you have to have the potential for advancement. you have to honor your contract for the position you hold, but if someone offers you a promotion you should be able to take it.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,702

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
That excuse works at the end of the season, but Denver didn't start the year with 7 injured RB's.... the playcalling was still unbalanced when there were healthy backs
yea and we were averaging like 34 points a game then too...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'
 
2KBack's Avatar
 
Cake is delicious

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wash DC
Posts: 7,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
yea and we were averaging like 34 points a game then too...
We finally lost Hillis in week 14, up until then we always had a back healthy was successful whenever thy actually decided to run the ball. that's 3 whole weeks where Bates had no other option than to pass. Every other week who knew what we were going to see. denver socred 30+ points 5 times, kudos to them. They also scored less than 20 points seven times. while the defense was a pretty consistant suck, the Offense was inconsistant as ****. It passed far too much, often leading to turnovers due to the sheer volume. This team isn't going anywhere throwing the ball 600 times a season, and that wasn't all injuriesd to RB, it was a stubbourn air attack philosophy
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
We finally lost Hillis in week 14, up until then we always had a back healthy was successful whenever thy actually decided to run the ball. that's 3 whole weeks where Bates had no other option than to pass. Every other week who knew what we were going to see. denver socred 30+ points 5 times, kudos to them. They also scored less than 20 points seven times. while the defense was a pretty consistant suck, the Offense was inconsistant as ****. It passed far too much, often leading to turnovers due to the sheer volume. This team isn't going anywhere throwing the ball 600 times a season, and that wasn't all injuriesd to RB, it was a stubbourn air attack philosophy

WORD
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #15
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer
 
supermanhr9's Avatar
 
"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Back in DENVER BABY!!
Posts: 1,214

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody
Default

Touche
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Calvin Johnson I have two words for you: bubble screen.
McDaniels loves the screen too, although he's a fan of multiple types of screens. Hopefully he doesn't fall as much in love with the Scheffler-bubble screen as Bates did. I'm all for getting the ball into Marshall and Royal's hands though.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #17
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue
 
no-pseudo-fan's Avatar
 
Follow me...

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: EPT
Posts: 2,113

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo
Default

Bubble Screen is fine, if you can throw it in as a change of pace, or you are making people pay for playing off coverage.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,284

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
I'd hate to see Bates go because I know Cutler will start pouting, and there goes our chances next year. We all knwo how good he plays when the pouting starts up. This is news to me that I had no idea he interviewed w/ the raiders. What the hell do contracts mean anymore? You sign a contract you stay with them unless you get fired. Am I the only one with this belief?
Jay will be fine next season. He upgraded with McDaniels and not Bates is expendable.
He would have been upset had we hired a defensive minded coach who then got rid of Bates, but we hired a way more talented version of Bates and that will keep Jay happy.

You don't think his mouth is watering when he thinks about how incredible his offense and his stats are more than likely going to be while working with the guy who coordinated the best offense ever in the NFL.

Jay more than likely just went from being a 4500 passing yards a year with 25TD's and 18INT's a year guy to a guy who will throw for over 4000 every year, around 33TD's and 12INT's a year.

Bates copied a system, McDaniels knows that system inside and out. Jay will be fine.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
yea bates! we gave you so many non-injured running backs to work with to, which made our running game effective enough to justify calling ANY running plays!
that's some weak azz schitt right there...
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Denver Broncos