The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Hallside
Solid Starter

John Fox is Stupid

Default Tell me about Jasper Brinkley

ILB, SR, South Carolina

Height: 6'2''
Weight: 275

Estimated 40 time on nfldraftcountdown.com is the same as Rey's.

Who is this guy? His purported size-speed combo makes him an awesome prospect, especially for a 3-4.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...r-Brinkley.php
Hallside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Jasper Brinkley(ILB-South Carolina) tipped a pass that resulted in a CJ Spillman interception, but most of the time he got washed out of the play and seemed to have trouble instinctively flowing to running plays.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/artic..._day_two_east/

Jasper Brinkley(ILB-South Carolina) again made a few impact plays - shooting the gap to blow up a run play and forcing a Chase Daniel fumble at the goal line with a crushing blow, but his natural instincts diagnosing run plays mostly took him out of the play instead into the mix.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/artic...ay_three_east/

So he sounds like a great physical specimen with **** for instincts. Sound familiar?
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I'm not so sure that he wouldn't be worth a 3rd or 4th round pick anyway. Considering that he's playing in a defense right now that is purely straight forward without a true scheme, it would be hard for me to put too much emphasis on his performance. Look at his performance throughout the year and determine how he plays his assignments. The nice thing about a 3-4 ILB is the limited space he plays in. I would be okay entering the season with Moss/Doom at OLB, Larsen and Brinkley at ILBs, and DJ manning the other OLB spot. WWIII would offer some depth to a number of positions.

I will say that I doubt Brinkley would fit into a 4-3 too well. Too much responsibility in the middle.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Brinkley is also a huge injury concern for teams. His play dropped off some, this year from last, although he has recovered quite well considering.
I think alot of teams will be scared off by his history. I remember he had a high ankle sprain and couldnt recover, and then he destroyed his knee, and that was it for him.
I think his injury history has to do with his size.
Hes 6'2" 270!!!! A great prospect as a ILB in the 3-4, but hes so freakin heavy for his height. I think he weighs too much, and it causes him to get injured alot. Compare his weight to say James Laurinitus 6-3 240, or Ray Lewis 6-1 250. I think he just weighs too much. He'll go in the 4th.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Denver Bronco56
Head Coach

The Greatest

I go to USC, and have watched all the games....HE WAS A MONSTER pre-Injury and towards the middle of the season was finally getting back into the groove. I think he would be a great 3-4 ILB
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He's not disciplined and is easily fooled is the most common complaint I see with him. He's kind of a poor man's Maualuga.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Wow, when was the last time a linebacker weighed that much? Levon Kirkland?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
I'm not so sure that he wouldn't be worth a 3rd or 4th round pick anyway. Considering that he's playing in a defense right now that is purely straight forward without a true scheme, it would be hard for me to put too much emphasis on his performance. Look at his performance throughout the year and determine how he plays his assignments. The nice thing about a 3-4 ILB is the limited space he plays in. I would be okay entering the season with Moss/Doom at OLB, Larsen and Brinkley at ILBs, and DJ manning the other OLB spot. WWIII would offer some depth to a number of positions.

I will say that I doubt Brinkley would fit into a 4-3 too well. Too much responsibility in the middle.
I'm not sure we'll have to take him that early. The injuries, questionable instincts, and lack of versatility (he's probably limited to 3-4 ILB) could push him down to our early 5th.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
Cecil Lammey
NFL Insider

Football is Life

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Just got back from the shrine game practices and I came away largely unimpressed by Jasper. our practice reports are linked here at the Mane, so you can read for yourself, but basically he likes to look for contact so much that he doesn't scrape and flow to the play. He often looks like he's guessing where the hole/play is.

I liked his fire and enthusiasm, but too often he ran himself out of the play.
Cecil Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Lammey View Post
Just got back from the shrine game practices and I came away largely unimpressed by Jasper. our practice reports are linked here at the Mane, so you can read for yourself, but basically he likes to look for contact so much that he doesn't scrape and flow to the play. He often looks like he's guessing where the hole/play is.

I liked his fire and enthusiasm, but too often he ran himself out of the play.
Thanks Cecil. How Mike Thomas from Arizonia looked?
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallside View Post
ILB, SR, South Carolina

Height: 6'2''
Weight: 275

Estimated 40 time on nfldraftcountdown.com is the same as Rey's.

Who is this guy? His purported size-speed combo makes him an awesome prospect, especially for a 3-4.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...r-Brinkley.php
I have seen his 40 at 4.75 this spring. well see at the combine
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
Cecil Lammey
NFL Insider

Football is Life

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Thanks Cecil. How Mike Thomas from Arizonia looked?

I like the way that Thomas looked, not the best receiver at the game (Deon Butler, Aaron Kelly, Jarrett Dillard) but there's definitely something there to work with.

solid hands, good body control, and he turns into a RB after he catches the ball.
Cecil Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Lammey View Post
I like the way that Thomas looked, not the best receiver at the game (Deon Butler, Aaron Kelly, Jarrett Dillard) but there's definitely something there to work with.

solid hands, good body control, and he turns into a RB after he catches the ball.
Thanks. There are three WRs I like in this draft - Kelly (great upside as #2), Thomas (great slot WR, KR/PR) and Ramses Barden (Marshall Clone as WR#1)
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I would not draft him if the Broncos have a 4-3. If the Broncos go to a 3-4 then I would draft him as a 2 down thumper in the Middle. 3-4 linebacker don't have as much reponsibility as 4-3 linebackers because their are 2 middle linebacker . Brinkley would also make a exellent pass rusher . Brinkley would be great on goal line situations.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: