The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
SpiritGuy
Rookie

Default Update on Hillis and a bit more

Saw that some fans on the message board yesterday were wondering about Peyton Hillis’ recovery from his hamstring injury he suffered against the Chiefs. He’s been hanging around the locker room since he’s at the facilities rehabbing this offseason, and I thought I’d give you all a quick update.

He said everything’s coming along fine, and he’s not too concerned that he is staying in Denver working while many of his teammates are on vacation or home with their families.

“As long as I’m in here getting better, getting stronger, getting faster, there’s really not a problem for me,” he said.

Hillis said that it hasn’t really clicked into his mind yet that he’s not rehabbing from last season but really preparing for 2009. But he knows he wants to get into that mindset soon.

“Everything starts off slow because you are injured and you are working toward that goal to get back healthy,” he said. “Especially now because there’s a new coaching staff and a lot of things are going to be changing, you kind of want to get to that point where you’re healthy so you can start learning the playbook and start getting adjusted to things.”

So that’s a little update on his condition, hope that was helpful. There will be a story on many of the players staying in Denver to rehab this offseason in the upcoming issue of Broncos Magazine, so be on the lookout for that.

-Gray Caldwell

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denver...hillis-update/

As normal there were some comment / questions on the blog after the above and Gray responded to a few. check out the link if the answers Gray gave don't make sense to you.

dare2bme: (questioned strength and conditioning team)
I’m positive Coach McDaniels will take a look at all aspects of how things are done here, from the assistant coaches to strength and conditioning to the team’s travel arrangements. Any time there’s a change at the top, everything is looked over, and if Coach McDaniels sees anything he feels needs to be changed, rest assured he’ll make those changes.

C2: (asked about afree agents list for the guys on the team)
We will have a comprehensive list of our own free agents as well as some of the key free agents at every position when we get closer to the opening of free agency. Stay tuned.

Pratama: (questioned strength and conditioning in relation to injuries)
Like you said, injuries certainly are a part of football. Every team goes through them every year — just look at the Patriots losing their franchise QB and linebackers galore. The Jaguars’ offensive line was banged up all season. I know it seems like the Broncos have been hit with the injury bug pretty hard lately, but you can’t chalk it up to much more than bad luck. But like I said to dare2bme, Coach McDaniels will make changes where he feels they are warranted. We’ll see as time goes by where those changes might take place, if there are any to be made.

rev79: (how is Carlton Powell doing on his rehab, might make a good DE in the 3/4)
Carlton Powell has been around the facilities a decent amount this offseason, still working with Greek on occasion to rehab his injury, and Ryan Torain (who is also still here rehabbing) said he has hung out with him a few times to watch some playoff games. Powell certainly has potential, especially due to his big role in a solid defensive front at Virginia Tech. Certainly looking forward to seeing him in action come next season.

Thanks for reading, keep the questions coming.
-Gray

Last edited by SpiritGuy; 01-15-2009 at 10:20 PM..
SpiritGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

I hope Hillis can be the back for us all season that he was for us during his stretch last year before he got hurt. He was a big reason we were able to knock off teams like Atlanta.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
20yardline
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I believe Hillis will be a big part of our offense next year. Get better soon Hillis.
20yardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
SpiritGuy
Rookie

I agree!! We need this kid on the field for 19 games next year.

I disagree with Gray on this comment: "But you can’t chalk it up to much more than bad luck" Having so many groin injuries and all the other problems is more than "bad Luck". Whether it's the strengh and conditioning team not getting it done, or a lack of effort on the players parts something isn't right.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

if we go into next season with Hillis as our main RB, i think it would be in his best interest to try and get down to the 235-240lbs range. he could gain a little more explosiveness through the hole.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
BroncoDoug
Ring of Famer

R.I.P. D-Will and D-Nash

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I hope McD can find a nice place for Hillis next year, the guy is just a stud...And I just bought his authentic jersey, and I would like to wear it to a game next year...
BroncoDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
bombquixote
Ring of Famer

11-5 in 2009

Carlton Powell...Oh right.
bombquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think Peyton and Powell will both have big roles in this defense next year. The NE offense has always used a lot of passes out of the backfield and Hillis is great at that. Powell was said to be one of the best run stuffing DT's in the draft last season and we are sorely lacking a NT. I bet he gets a crack at it.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Good to hear about Hillis...really hope he is our #1 running back next yr and performs as well as he did during the stretch run. DEf will get a jersey of him if he starts
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritGuy View Post
I agree!! We need this kid on the field for 19 games next year.

I disagree with Gray on this comment: "But you canít chalk it up to much more than bad luck" Having so many groin injuries and all the other problems is more than "bad Luck". Whether it's the strengh and conditioning team not getting it done, or a lack of effort on the players parts something isn't right.
"Greek", Rich Tuten -- the whole lot of them need to get gone. We need some medical/strength/conditioning folk in here who know what they're doing. The current group have been a disaster.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 AM   #11
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Powell was a bit small for a NT IIRC. Would the get that Baji or a FA NT and use Powell as a DT/DE combo. Nolan runs a hybrid.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #12
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Powell, Hillis, Aldridge, Torain. I'm eager to see what all these kids can do when healthy.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Next season will be exciting, I can feel it already.

Good to see his is mentally strong and working to get better.

Man I cant imagine him being stronger then before, he would be unstoppable.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I still question if alridge was even hurt. That whole thing seemed fishy to me. he just showcases himself in a great game, they know he wouldnt clear waivers..hmmm
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #15
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I hope we finally get to see what Powell can bring to the D-line
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #16
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

I felt bad for Hillis' parents. They made the effort to come to the game only to see their son fall to a freak injury...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

There is absolutly no question in my mind that Hillis was the difference between the flash-in-the-pan offense that was incapable of ball control in the last 3 games, and the absolutly awesome performances against teams like Atlanta. This injury may end up being a good thing for Hillis, because he is going to get more exposure to the new coaching team before the other players.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #18
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
"Greek", Rich Tuten -- the whole lot of them need to get gone. We need some medical/strength/conditioning folk in here who know what they're doing. The current group have been a disaster.
youre right, its the coaching staffs fault when someone lands on a players knee, or in hillis' case, his back. good call, dump everyone.

moron.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #19
SpiritGuy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I hope we finally get to see what Powell can bring to the D-line
Me too!!! I was really looking forward to seeing the kid play and then he got hurt. Here's to Powell kicking tail in 09
Old 01-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #20
SpiritGuy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
youre right, its the coaching staffs fault when someone lands on a players knee, or in hillis' case, his back. good call, dump everyone.

moron.
I'm thinking it's somewhere in the middle. The staff can't do anything about the knee's or Hillis getting hurt but there were an awful lot of injuries that shouldn't have happened if the staff and players were on top of things.