The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Default Anyone else Hear Joe Collier on the Radio Last Night?

The FAN guys had him on to talk about the 3-4 conversion. My takeaway from the conversation was that the switch isn't as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be.

One point he made was that you don't actually run in the 3-4 for that many plays, because you're frequently in nickle and dime situations and rushing 4.

He was asked whether Dumervil could make a switch to OLB and he said he wasn't sure if he can move in space well enough (not that he necessarily doubts it, but just doesn't know), but that he would be "hell on wheels" because they could get him rushing the passer often matched up with a RB. He also noted, when discussing the potential of Dumervil and Moss swithcing to OLB, that both Mecklenberg and Simon Fletcher made exactly that switch after coming out of college as undersized linemen. (As an aside, CU fans probably remember that Alfred Williams made the opposite switch after playing as a LB in college).

He also mentioned that he originally switched the Broncos to the 3-4 out of necessity, when Lyle Alzado blew out his knee.

Bottom line: a guy who knows one or two things about defense doen't think the transition is the monumental task some on here make it out to be.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
backup qb
Ring of Famer

Thanks for sharing.
backup qb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

I LOVE the 3-4 and hope we do it. If we have to get rid of all our defensive players to do so then great, lets get it done.
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Doom v. RB I like his chances. The best and sometimes only way to stop Dumervil off the corner is clothesline him which is never called. I don't see how a RB could block him.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Joe Collier is a God. I love that man.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

The question is how well Doom can play in space. If not then it going to be easy for the other team id the blitzing LB.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I trust Moss to play better in space better than Dumervil. However, I wasn't impressed by Moss in space this year when they put him as a standup End and 3-4 OLB. The image in my mind is him completely whiffing on Jerious Norwood when he could have had him for only a 4 yard gain. He lined up as an OLB that play.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
Paladin
Ring of Famer

I don't know, but I would think the angles would be different for Moss in that situation, and he just didn't get that part of the practice down. Not making excuses, just an observation.....Maybe....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
I trust Moss to play better in space better than Dumervil. However, I wasn't impressed by Moss in space this year when they put him as a standup End and 3-4 OLB. The image in my mind is him completely whiffing on Jerious Norwood when he could have had him for only a 4 yard gain. He lined up as an OLB that play.
to be fair Norwood is very very good runner in space and is not easy for regular LB to stop him .
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
to be fair Norwood is very very good runner in space and is not easy for regular LB to stop him .
Yeah, but Norwood really didn't make much of a move. Moss broke down, and lowered his head and just missed.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

A little practice and proper instruction would help.

I doubt he got a lot of either.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
yavoon
Ring of Famer

I've been saying it isn't the giant monstrosity that ppl on this forum imagine it to be for years. This forum has been convinced that a 3-4 needs atleast 4 all pro's w/ masters degrees in game theory while a 4-3 needs ppl who can grunt syllables.
yavoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The question is how well Doom can play in space. If not then it going to be easy for the other team id the blitzing LB.
Well he has as many INTs as DJ Williams in the last three years and only 3 less passes defended.

I love comparing other player's numbers to our LBs numbers . God they suck.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
jsco70
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
Bottom line: a guy who knows one or two things about defense doen't think the transition is the monumental task some on here make it out to be.
Well then, he should obviously spend some time at the Orangemane. I'm sure the "expert" posters could straighten him out in no time flat.
jsco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #15
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
The FAN guys had him on to talk about the 3-4 conversion. My takeaway from the conversation was that the switch isn't as big a deal as everyone makes it out to be.

One point he made was that you don't actually run in the 3-4 for that many plays, because you're frequently in nickle and dime situations and rushing 4.

He was asked whether Dumervil could make a switch to OLB and he said he wasn't sure if he can move in space well enough (not that he necessarily doubts it, but just doesn't know), but that he would be "hell on wheels" because they could get him rushing the passer often matched up with a RB. He also noted, when discussing the potential of Dumervil and Moss swithcing to OLB, that both Mecklenberg and Simon Fletcher made exactly that switch after coming out of college as undersized linemen. (As an aside, CU fans probably remember that Alfred Williams made the opposite switch after playing as a LB in college).

He also mentioned that he originally switched the Broncos to the 3-4 out of necessity, when Lyle Alzado blew out his knee.

I am not going to argue with the the guy, Joe knows his ****!

Fact was that this D did not do anything with any confidence at all last year.

What ever they do they need to pound home Fundamental football.

I won't mind them losing if they are just out manned as long as they play sound atacking football.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote