The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default Dortohs FA wish list

I know I know there is no way we are signing all these guys. Its my dream list or a list of who we IMO should atleast make a run at/test the waters

Brandon Jacobs
Albert Haynesworth
Jeff Saturday
Shaun Cody
Terrell Suggs
Nnamdi Asomugha
Dawan Landry
Jermaine Phillips
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortoh View Post
I know I know there is no way we are signing all these guys. Its my dream list or a list of who we IMO should atleast make a run at/test the waters

Brandon Jacobs
Albert Haynesworth
Jeff Saturday
Shaun Cody
Terrell Suggs
Nnamdi Asomugha
Dawan Landry
Jermaine Phillips
Sure... 45 minutes into FA you'll be screaming from the mountain tops.

OMG!... *&GHD !!@#$ WE ARE TEH SUCK&!!!

and by the way if we make a Run at Asomugha I'm going to **** myself
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
Sure... 45 minutes into FA you'll be screaming from the mountain tops.

OMG!... *&GHD !!@#$ WE ARE TEH SUCK&!!!

and by the way if we make a Run at Asomugha I'm going to **** myself
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Pick Six
Armchair Poster
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

I know that people are raving about our offensive line (and they have done a pretty good job, especially in pass protection). However, Jeff Saturday would help us out TREMENDOUSLY. We still have trouble opening holes for the running backs.
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Traveler
Traveling Man!
 
Traveler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,437

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Unless he has some type of stipulation that the Faid can't franchise him again, Asomugha won't even sniff free agency.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,589

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I know that people are raving about our offensive line (and they have done a pretty good job, especially in pass protection). However, Jeff Saturday would help us out TREMENDOUSLY. We still have trouble opening holes for the running backs.
Saturday will cost a ton. I'd rather use that money one the other side of the ball.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Traveler
Traveling Man!
 
Traveler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,437

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I know that people are raving about our offensive line (and they have done a pretty good job, especially in pass protection). However, Jeff Saturday would help us out TREMENDOUSLY. We still have trouble opening holes for the running backs.
If they looked for more power at the G position, you'd get no argument from me.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
MagicHef
Ring of Famer
 
MagicHef's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,354

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Atogwe.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Atogwe.
He probably should have made my list.

We probably wont get Albert but Cody could play the NT position and atleast one of those safetys should be brought in. Suggs if we can land him and we are well on our way.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,972
Default

FS ATOGWE
LB SUGGS
DT CODY

Every level of the defense is addressed.
socalorado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
Saturday will cost a ton. I'd rather use that money one the other side of the ball.
Yes he probably will and the dolts will probably find away to resign him. Yet with Casey looking at retirement the position must be addressed.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,060

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Unless he has some type of stipulation that the Faid can't franchise him again, Asomugha won't even sniff free agency.
He actually has such a stipulation. They cannot franchise Nnamdi.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
PRBronco
_never forget_
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,376

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He actually has such a stipulation. They cannot franchise Nnamdi.
I didn't know that, that's awesome The one good thing they've got going for them and he's on his way out!
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
Traveler
Traveling Man!
 
Traveler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,437

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
He actually has such a stipulation. They cannot franchise Nnamdi.
Really? Last I heard from the talking heads at ESPN, the only player to have that type of language in his contract was Haynesworth.

If true, Asomugha is about to get paid!


I did find this...


Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:23 am EST

Raiders likely to slap Asomugha with franchise tag. Nnamdi Asomugha. Shane Lechler. One or the other. Take your pick. Can't have both. Both players are Pro Bowl selections. Both are unrestricted free agents at season's end. Only one is likely to be back with the Oakland Raiders next season, according to the Oakland Tribune.

Such is the poor timing of matters that two of the Raiders' most valuable players are potential free agents in the same year, and only one can be prevented from signing with another team.

Cornerback Asomugha figures to be that player for the second straight season. The Raiders used the exclusive franchise tag on him this season. That guaranteed him $9.765 million and prohibited other teams from pursuing him.

As for Lechler, he knows nothing other than the Raiders in terms of NFL experience. He was drafted by the Raiders in 2000 and is one of their two longest-tenured players - along with kicker Sebastian Janikowski. Lechler is on the verge of free agency unless the Raiders offer a contract extension that he accepts between now and the end of February.

The Raiders all but tipped their hand on which way they are leaning in terms of applying the franchise tag designation by signing free agent punter Ricky Schmitt on Monday. Teams with four-time Pro Bowl punters don't sign undrafted free agent punters without any NFL experience.

That is, unless there's a chance of losing the Pro Bowl punter. On Thursday, Raiders coach Tom Cable admitted as much, saying Schmitt was signed, in part, as a "just-in-case."

Source: Oakland Tribune

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...urn=nfl,130684

Last edited by Traveler; 01-15-2009 at 11:42 AM..
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,567

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

How Gale Sayers, Jack Lambert, and Ronnie Lott didn't make your list is beyond me...
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
How Gale Sayers, Jack Lambert, and Ronnie Lott didn't make your list is beyond me...
I had to make some difficult decissions no doubt.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #17
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,741

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

Shane Lechler should of made your list. Dort, you are slipping man
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #18
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
FS ATOGWE
LB SUGGS
DT CODY

Every level of the defense is addressed.
Well-focused list ... at least you didn't throw in any offensive players like some of these big-spenders

I dunno about Cody, I think Carlton Powell can be what Shaun Cody is in a year or two. I just re-read Powell's player capsules, and he is a BEAST stuffing the run. Both him individually and Va. Tech as a team led the nation in average per carry against (the individual ranking is a strange stat, but impressive nonetheless). I think all of us here should start focusing more on whether Powell can add 10-15 pounds and play NT. Until he's ready, Dewayne Robertson is a proven 3-4 NT. Meantime, draft Ron Brace in Round 2 or 3.

For Suggs, I need to know whether he is a Will or a Sam in the 3-4 ... anybody? We just paid Boss to play Sam, and Jarvis Moss would presumably be lined up for a shot to backup Boss at Sam in the 3-4. Plus, DJ should be set as the Will in the 3-4 or 4-3. We just paid DJ too, so he's not going anywhere, although maybe he'll move inside in a 3-4.

So I guess what I'm saying is, neither Suggs nor Cody, unless Suggs can play Sam or DJ moves inside.

Atogwe is the right choice, though ... safeties are fairly inexpensive in free agency. At least they were before Al Davis overpaid Gibril Wilson.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

give me Jason Hanson, the dude still has one of the strongest legs in the league, he ws 95% last year and still has 3-4 more years before he calls it a career.
quick stats (2008)

FGA
22

FGM
21

PCT
95.5

LNG
56
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #20
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Well-focused list ... at least you didn't throw in any offensive players like some of these big-spenders

I dunno about Cody, I think Carlton Powell can be what Shaun Cody is in a year or two. I just re-read Powell's player capsules, and he is a BEAST stuffing the run. Both him individually and Va. Tech as a team led the nation in average per carry against (the individual ranking is a strange stat, but impressive nonetheless). I think all of us here should start focusing more on whether Powell can add 10-15 pounds and play NT. Until he's ready, Dewayne Robertson is a proven 3-4 NT. Meantime, draft Ron Brace in Round 2 or 3.

For Suggs, I need to know whether he is a Will or a Sam in the 3-4 ... anybody? We just paid Boss to play Sam, and Jarvis Moss would presumably be lined up for a shot to backup Boss at Sam in the 3-4. Plus, DJ should be set as the Will in the 3-4 or 4-3. We just paid DJ too, so he's not going anywhere, although maybe he'll move inside in a 3-4.

So I guess what I'm saying is, neither Suggs nor Cody, unless Suggs can play Sam or DJ moves inside.

Atogwe is the right choice, though ... safeties are fairly inexpensive in free agency. At least they were before Al Davis overpaid Gibril Wilson.
Good stuff Buff

Just to clairfy I'm not saying sign everyone on my list but any one or two of them would make me happy.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #21
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,974
Default

Atagwe definitely.
Suggs it depends, I would rather now break the bank to get him, I want to make sure we have plenty of cap room to sign our own guys before we start handing out contracts to FAs.

Cody would be a decent pick up as well I think, and Canty if he is not too expensive
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #22
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,212

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I know that people are raving about our offensive line (and they have done a pretty good job, especially in pass protection). However, Jeff Saturday would help us out TREMENDOUSLY. We still have trouble opening holes for the running backs.
Here is from football outsiders, their OL ranking for runs for the 2008 season:
rank team adj line yrd RB yards Power succ% power rnk Stuffed stuffed rnk
1 Den 4.92 4.96 70% 11 17% 1

Left End YPA Rank
5.94 1

Left Tackle YPA Rank
4.95 5

Mid/Guard YPA Rank
4.69 4

Right tackle YPA Rank
4.45 10

Right End YPA Rank
5.29 2


Passing:

Team Rank Sacks Adj Sacks allowed
DEN 4 12 3.3%


Our offensive line is pretty damn good, spending a ton of cash on improving an offensive line that is top 5 in the league is just not bright. I agree we need to prepare for life without Nails and Wiegman, but we don't do that by committing a ton of money to Jeff Saturday.

I would much rather spend money on quality help on defense where we really need the help.

Looking at the playoffs this year is certainly a good indication that a strong defense will get you futher than a high power offense. The Chargers are gone, Broncos and Saints didn't even make the first round. Meanwhile the Ravens and Steelers and their pedestrian offenses are going to settle who represents the AFC.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,212

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Well-focused list ... at least you didn't throw in any offensive players like some of these big-spenders

I dunno about Cody, I think Carlton Powell can be what Shaun Cody is in a year or two. I just re-read Powell's player capsules, and he is a BEAST stuffing the run. Both him individually and Va. Tech as a team led the nation in average per carry against (the individual ranking is a strange stat, but impressive nonetheless). I think all of us here should start focusing more on whether Powell can add 10-15 pounds and play NT. Until he's ready, Dewayne Robertson is a proven 3-4 NT. Meantime, draft Ron Brace in Round 2 or 3.

For Suggs, I need to know whether he is a Will or a Sam in the 3-4 ... anybody? We just paid Boss to play Sam, and Jarvis Moss would presumably be lined up for a shot to backup Boss at Sam in the 3-4. Plus, DJ should be set as the Will in the 3-4 or 4-3. We just paid DJ too, so he's not going anywhere, although maybe he'll move inside in a 3-4.

So I guess what I'm saying is, neither Suggs nor Cody, unless Suggs can play Sam or DJ moves inside.

Atogwe is the right choice, though ... safeties are fairly inexpensive in free agency. At least they were before Al Davis overpaid Gibril Wilson.
Powell did face quite a bit of double teams in college and he does have good lower body strength. The one thing I worry about is that he won't be able to generate enough push that he will command double teams on every play which will free up the MLBs to do their job.

To be honest I would like Powell on the outside, I think he would do better as a DE with a huge monster in the middle. My feeling is that we will play the 2-gap version of the 3-4 front which requires big strong ends who can stop the run and plug lanes. Essentially our version of Ty Warren or Justin Bannan from Baltimore.

Suggs tends to line up on the weak side, so he only has to face a RB blocking and doesn't have to cover the TE.

I think we have to make a concentrated effort to acquire at least 2 players who can start on D in UFA, that way we don't have to force too many rookies into starting roles.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #24
vancejohnson82
Shabby
 
vancejohnson82's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Posts: 6,106

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points
Default

the only thing I've read here that I disagree with is that Dewayne Robertson is a proven 3-4 NT....the reason the Jets were so ready to dump him (and Vilma) was because they were moving into a 3-4 and those two guys were being eaten up....

we are going to have another horrible defense next year as we make the transition to the new scheme...our personnel isn't even close to ready in order to fill the 3-4 out sufficiently....

we need a NT...and we need some LBs that can play the run....
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #25
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,001

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
the only thing I've read here that I disagree with is that Dewayne Robertson is a proven 3-4 NT....the reason the Jets were so ready to dump him (and Vilma) was because they were moving into a 3-4 and those two guys were being eaten up....

we are going to have another horrible defense next year as we make the transition to the new scheme...our personnel isn't even close to ready in order to fill the 3-4 out sufficiently....

we need a NT...and we need some LBs that can play the run....
Cody/Baji/Peterson/Powell NT problem solved
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Denver Broncos