The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default Remember when the Chiefs hired Greg Robinson?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...s/?partner=RSS

Broncos' next hire likely will be Priefer

ENGLEWOOD — New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels continues to make the rounds in search of assistants to fill out his staff.

And the Broncos are expected to make Mike Priefer their special-teams coach if the sides hit no unexpected snags. He has been the Chiefs' special-teams coach since 2006.

The Broncos took a look at Patriots special-teams coach Brad Seely, with whom McDaniels had worked at New England, but Seely is expected to join Eric Mangini's staff in Cleveland.

Mangini is another former Patriots assistant. And Seely has been on the Patriots staff for a decade, long enough to be the only holdover from Pete Carroll's time as New England's coach.

Former Broncos special-teams coordinator Scott O'Brien was not retained when Mike Shanahan was fired - O'Brien will replace Seely with the Patriots - so McDaniels has a significant opening to fill.

Priefer has a year left on his contract in Kansas City, but the Broncos are expected to give him the title of special-teams coordinator, so the move would be a promotion and, thus, one Priefer would be able to make.

The Chiefs have given Priefer permission to talk with Green Bay and the Broncos, but he is expected to end up at the Broncos' Dove Valley complex.

Priefer, a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, flew helicopters for five years before starting his coaching career. His father, Chuck, was a longtime special-teams coach in the league but is retired and works part time in the NFL's officiating department.

--------------

Priefer is responsible for some of the worst special teams play I've ever seen in Kansas City. Enjoy.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Jiggles, your whole team is garbage. Any thoughts on how a coach is supposed to field a good special teams unit under those circumstances.

Nice work, though. This is practically like winning a playoff game.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
Rocky Mountain Stampede
Solid Starter

I don't understand why Priefer sucks so bad. In his three seasons in KC, the Chiefs posted two of their team's top three net punting averages in history. Colquitt shouldn't take all the credit either. The Chiefs had some quality coverage units to achieve those marks.

In addition to punting, the Chiefs had the fifth ranked kickoff return coverage unit in the NFL during the 2007 season.
Rocky Mountain Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
In addition to punting, the Chiefs had the fifth ranked kickoff return coverage unit in the NFL during the 2007 season.
If he does nothing but duplicate this I'll be satisfied.

People tend to underrate how vital special teams are. If you punt and kickoff 10 times, line up to return another 10, add in field goal and PAT attempts and defending them...these guys are on the field close to half as much time as the offense or defense is. In a game where field posistion reversals with turnovers is crucial, rolling out the crap we have under Shanny with these units was killing us.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Stampede View Post
I don't understand why Priefer sucks so bad. In his three seasons in KC, the Chiefs posted two of their team's top three net punting averages in history. Colquitt shouldn't take all the credit either. The Chiefs had some quality coverage units to achieve those marks.

Giving Priefer credit for Colquitt is like giving Dungy credit for Manning.

I've lost count of the number of returners and field-goal kickers we had under this guy.

DOG****.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post

I've lost count of the number of returners and field-goal kickers we had under this guy.

DOG****.
Remember what you told us to expect from Wiegman? You are wrong so often do really expect people to take your opinions seriously?

Special teams is pretty much done the same way on almost every team. The concept of spacing out your defenders and not getting bunched up is universal. Using a wedge or walling off defenders is basics for returning. IMO special teams coach is more about drilling the basics into them, getting them fired up, and having players sell out to make plays.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Remember what you told us to expect from Wiegman?
I told you he would play well in the right system.

Lo and behold, he did.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:

DOG****.
Well at least I'm glad to see you like our new HC selection:

http://www.gaysportsblog.com/2009/01...fill-post.html
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:35 AM   #9
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
Well at least I'm glad to see you like our new HC selection:

http://www.gaysportsblog.com/2009/01...fill-post.html
BoBo knows surprise buttsecks !!! ...

TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:23 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
I told you he would play well in the right system.

Lo and behold, he did.
I thought you said he can't handle bigger tackles anymore but my bad if you said he would play well. That's still only one time you have been right.

special teams play is more about how good your depth is on team and players being fired up. I think Broncos sick special teams is because they lack quality players to play on them. As Broncos draft young defenders the special teams will improve.

Let's face it position coaches do not make or break a team.

The Broncos seem to be putting together a decent staff, it will be up to the Goodmans finding more talent.

I can deal with the last 3 drafts but if they don't start hitting on some defenders it won't get better even if they had Lombardi himself to coach.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:12 AM   #11
crazyhorse
All Motor!!

You can only hope to contain me

Our special teams units have been bad. I cant tell you statistically where we have been. I can only tell you that teams were busting big returns on us all the time. Couple that with us not getting big returns on our own and we weren't very good. I considered our special teams a serious problem that went unnoticed. I personally will be glad to see him go.

I wouldn't get too excited about this guy. He sucks. Maybe you can do something with him the we couldn't. Who knows.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:24 AM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

no doubt anything from the Chiefs is nothing to be excited about. At this point we have to give everything the benefit of doubt as far as coaching goes. What else can we do but wait and see what they do.

If the new regime tries to sell me on ideas that suck I will call them out.

Special teams actually not that complicated, its mostly about talent and mental fortitude.

It's also about the front office keeping players based on special teams play and considering special teams important. IMO Broncos haven't thought that way in a long time.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Bottom line. Our STs can only get better.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #14
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Mods, can you keep boob from creating new threads?
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #15
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Well we were supposed to have the best ST coach in Obrien and he didn't do much to impress. If this guy sucks, well I guess we are really screwed.

I think it has more to do with your teams depth if you are good at special teams, and where you are deep. Shanny never really put much stock in ST and thus the team lacked in that area. All i know is that we need to consider bringing in Jason Hanson from the lions who is a free agent, and possibly drafting a punter in the late rounds, Kern was decent but not great. Anyone know if Hanson still kicks off? I believe he does.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Jiggles, your whole team is garbage. Any thoughts on how a coach is supposed to field a good special teams unit under those circumstances.

Nice work, though. This is practically like winning a playoff game.
Jiggles... I like it. I would like to see that one stick.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Our special teams are actually not too bad. This year our punting game and return game got better, but that was largely attributed to Kern and Royal. They've been mediocre to abysmal pretty much since 2000.

We've changed everything about this staff save Turner so far. There will likely be a lot of turnover on personnel so I expect some change. At worst it will still suck and there will be no change and Priefer will be fired. At best he'll improve things. He was good in his other areas before he got to KC, which is a dung heap since Herm took over so maybe he's a victim of circumstance. We won't know until a few years go by.

One thing I do know. The Patriots make their starters play special teams so that alone should change things.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

This might sound incredibly ignorant, but between offense, defense, and special teams, ST's really seems like the one furthest from brain surgery. It seems like the aspect of the game where its more how disciplined a guy is rather than strategy
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

I don't like taking anything from the Chiefs as far a coaching staff. The Chiefs coaching incompetence was astounding. Seriously, any time spent with Herm has to make you dumber. First hire I don't like though.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

I love the idea of starters playing special teams. I hated the let's have champ wait at the 50 yard line and tackle the guy if he beats everyone else. That's like playing a man down (two men down if you don't count the punter). I know he saved a lot of TD's on ST's but then teams were starting at the 50...
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #21
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

The thread title itself is laughable. Robinson did a good job with the Broncos defense. I can't help it that he couldn't do anything with the misfits in Kansas City...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #22
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

You guys are having a tough offseason. I get it now.

Shanny fired, the Chiefs get Pioli, and now you get the worst special teams coach in league history.

When was the last time you guys made the playoffs, again?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #23
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

We got the better of the 2 from NE there jiggles.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #24
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
You guys are having a tough offseason. I get it now.

Shanny fired, the Chiefs get Pioli, and now you get the worst special teams coach in league history.

When was the last time you guys made the playoffs, again?
Hey Boob,

When was the last time you guys WON a playoff game??
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
Hey Boob,

When was the last time you guys WON a playoff game??
Don't you realize this is completely irrelevant?

You guys just dumped your head coach.

Might want to see if Josh Mcn00biels can win a GAME before you start pounding your chests.