The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Rocky Mountain Stampede
Solid Starter

Default Rank the Broncos all-time coaches in order

1. Frank Filchock (1960-61): 7-20-1 record, .259 winning percentage

Deserves some credit for getting our team off the ground with a group of rag-tag players in hideous uniforms. In the inaugural season, he got Denver off to 2-0 start after wins in Boston and Buffalo. Beat the Raiders in our first ever meeting! Other than that, he had a rough ride with a 4-9-1 and 3-11 record.

2. Jack Faulkner (1962-64): 9-22-1 record, .290 winning percentage

1962 UPI AFC Coach of the Year. Led Denver to their only .500 season in their first 13 seasons of existence. Helped Denver to a torrid 7-2 start in '62, but finished his tenure here with a dismal 2-20-1 mark. Fired after an 0-4 start in '64. Allegedly used spying tactics to help beat his old friend and coaching mentor Sid Gillman of the Chargers.

3. Mac Speedie (1964-66): 6-19-1 record, .240 winning percentage

Speedie relieved Faulkner after an 0-4 start in '64 and became an instant hit in his first game by upsetting the Chiefs 33-27. He finished '64 with a 1-7-1 record and followed with a 4-10 record in '65. After a 0-2 start in '66, Broncos fans hurled garbage at Speedie as he walked off the field following a 24-10 loss to the Patriots. This led to his resignation.

4. Ray Malavasi (1966): 4-8, .333 winning percentage

Interm coach later went on to lead the 1979 Los Angeles Rams to a NFC Championship. Holds the highest winning percentage of the Broncos first five head coaches.

5. Lou Saban (1967-71): 20-42-3, .323 winning percentage

Nick Saban's cousin brought high expectations and a resume of winning to Denver after leading the Buffalo Bills to back-to-back AFL Titles in 1964 and 1965. Unfortunately, Saban couldn't do any better than a 5-8-1 record. During the home opener versus the Miami Dolphins in '71, Saban infamously went for the tie instead of win, sealing his fate and turning the entire city against him. After the game, Saban described his decision, ""At least half a loaf is better than none."

6. Jerry Smith (1971): 2-3, .400 winning percentage

Smith was Denver's interm coach for five games in 1971. He defeated Pittsburgh and Chicago, but got pummeled by three AFC West rivals (KC, SD, OAK) by a 94-40 margin.

7. John Ralston (1972-76): 34-33-3, .507 winning percentage

Led Denver to their first winning season in 1972 (7-5-2). He also had winning records in both 1974 (7-6-1) and 1976 (9-5). He was an excellent evaluator of talent, but the players ran him out of town because he was too much of a nice guy. In the end, he couldn't beat the Raiders or get the Broncos to the postseason. Raised the bar in Denver and was a victim of his own success.

8. Red Miller (1977-80): 40-22 record, .645 winning percentage, AFC Championship (1977), 2 AFC West Championships ('77, '78), 3 Playoff Appearances ('77, '78, '79)

Miller was a guy that players would run through a wall for. Holds the highest winning percentage of any Broncos head coach. 1977 AP NFL Coach of the Year. Was also recognized in '77 as the NFL's best coach by the Sporting News and PFW. Led Denver to their first postseason appearance and AFC Championship in '77. Went to the postseason in his first three seasons. Following an 8-8 record in 1980, Miller got a raw deal as he was fired by then owner Edgar Kaiser.

9. Dan Reeves (1981-1992): 110-73-1 record, .601 winning percentage, 3 AFC Championships ('86, '87, '89), 5 AFC West Championships ('84, '86, '87, '89, '91), 6 Playoff Appearances ('83, '84, '86, '87, '89, '91)

In addition to going to the Super Bowl three times from '86-'89, Reeves also went 10-6 in '81, 13-3 in '84, 11-5 in '85 and 12-4 in '91. He was in love with his hero Tom Landry and was archaic in his ways, but he was still a hell of a football coach. I don't see how the Pro Football Hall of Fame can deny Reeves if Marv Levy and Bud Grant are already there.

10. Wade Phillips (1993-94): 16-16 record, .500 winning percentage, 1 Playoff Appearance ('93)

Phillips was ultimately fired because of Charlie Waters' porous defense. The offense flourished though with Reeves gone. He was on a short leash from the beginning because Shanahan was Bowlen's first choice all long.

11. Mike Shanahan (1995-2008): 138-86 record, .616 winning percentage, 2 Super Bowl titles (XXXII, XXXIII), 2 AFC Championships (1997, 1998), 3 AFC West Championships ('96, '98, '05), 7 Playoff Appearances ('96, '97, '98, '00, '03, '04, '05)

Shanahan led Denver to a robust 46-10 record (including playoffs) from 1996-98. He was 91-69 post-Elway covering 10 seasons (averaging a 9-7 record). Shanahan had only two losing seasons during his 14-year tenure in Denver.
Rocky Mountain Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
Rocky Mountain Stampede
Solid Starter

Mine:

1. Shanahan
2. Reeves
3. Miller
4. Ralston
5. Phillips
6. Saban
7. Faulkner
8. Malavasi
9. Filchock
10. Smith
11. Speedie

Last edited by Rocky Mountain Stampede; 01-14-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Old 01-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

The first coach I remember was Red Miller. I was upset when Reeves came on even though I was only 11 yrs old. I remembered thinking he was a Cowboy and I hated Cowboys, and still do.

I'd rank them

Mike Shannahan
Red Miller
Dan Reeves
Wade Phillips

The rest I couldn't say.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Gotta love the Half a Loaf story. Poor guy probably had no idea that would follow him to his grave.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Well, first of all, if I ever change my user name it will be MacSpeedy. Seems pretty cool.

Ok, here we go:

Reeves
Shanahan
Miller
Ralston

Reeves #1 because he could drive his team to victory through sheer force of will on gameday. Dude was a demon on gameday. Denver won a lot of games and titles just because Reeves drove them on gameday. Also, Reeves brought Shanny into the NFL and taught him 80% of what made him successful.

#2 Shanahan solely because he went B2B. Other than that he couldn't hold Reeves, Red Miller's or John Ralston's jockstrap.

#3 Red Miller. Hardass dude, drove Ralston's roster to victories. I remember seeing him in a grocery store one time, got about 10 yds from him and the look in his eye said, "don't get any closer." Big dude, limping and angry, I veered off.

#4 John Ralston. Superb talent evaluator, smiled all the time, Jimmy Carter-like, all the time smiling, didn't make a lot of victories, but he loaded the team with talent.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Cito Pelon, what's it like not knowing anything about football? You are like a chick rooting for a home run on 2nd and goal from the 6
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Cito just likes to rile feathers he doesn't believe the bull **** that comes out of his mouth.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

You guys are not respecting Jerry Smith enough.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #9
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

1. Josh McD
2. Shanny
3. Reeves
4. All the rest
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
jmz313
Ring of Famer

1) Shanny
2) the ones who didn't win a title in Denver.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Wade Phillips

Everyone else.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Mike Shannahan
Red Miller
John Ralston
Dan Reeves

The rest are not worthy of mention.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

1. Mike Shanahan
2. Dan Reeves
3. wade Phillips

I'm not old enough to comment on the other coaches
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
B-Love
Ring of Famer

They're killin me Whitey, they're killin me!!

Yeah Red Miller at number 2 huh?? 6 Posts and three people have Red Miller ranked higher than Dan Reeves??

Yeah, that's it; Miller's 4 years where the team got WORSE every year rank ahead of Reeves' 12 seasons.

Great take people.

Again, the comeplete lies and myths about Dan Reeves are the biggest weakness here at this otherwise great board. But the Dan Reeves stuff continues to just be laughable.

Shanahan
Reeves
Ralston and Miller tied for 3rd and 4th
Saban

Couldn't really see it any other way.
B-Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Love View Post
Yeah Red Miller at number 2 huh?? 6 Posts and three people have Red Miller ranked higher than Dan Reeves??

Yeah, that's it; Miller's 4 years where the team got WORSE every year rank ahead of Reeves' 12 seasons.

Great take people.

Again, the comeplete lies and myths about Dan Reeves are the biggest weakness here at this otherwise great board. But the Dan Reeves stuff continues to just be laughable.

Shanahan
Reeves
Saban

I have to agree that Reeves was better than Miller (though I liked Miller a whole lot more). But Reeves put more TVs in danger than any coach in football history. I still remember sitting there for a crucial 3rd and 6, with Elway back there, and before the play was even run, I would say, out loud, "Sammy Winder up the middle." Then, bing! What's the ****ing play? SW up the middle for a loss of three and punt. Oh, and then there were the wonderful SBs where the team was so prepared they looked like a bunch of prep school ping pong players lost in a Bulgarian train station. I'll never forget attending a big SB party in L.A. where I was the only person wearing orange in a sea of 49er jerseys, losing 55 to 10. By halftime, I was out in the garage by myself playing darts with people shouting from the windows, "Don't you want to see the second half?" Perhaps this is why Reeves doesn't get a very good rating on this board. Him and his ****ing "foobawl."
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos

who knows after a few yrs we will be saying

1. Josh McD
2. All other denver head coaches.

DBBBSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #17
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

Great take people.

Shanahan
Reeves
Saban

I gotta agree with this. You don't wonder if Ralston stayed on one more season if he wouldn't have had gone to the super bowl. It was his team. R66v6s had his flaws but the team was always competitive under him and they got to three super bowls, which is two more than Miller.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #18
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

Quote:

Great take people.

Shanahan
Reeves
Saban

Yeah, it was probably personal bias that had me rank Miller before Reeves. I was not a Reeves fan at all, so he's lucky to have come in @ #4 on my list....and that's only because I'm acknowledging the guy's accomplishments.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #19
Riddi
Seasoned Veteran

Its been five years!!!!

Well I was 9 years old in 1981 when I became a football fan and my love for the Broncos grew. So I can only really comment on the coaches from then. I loved Reeves and was sad to see him go. But of course back then the fighting between Reeves and Elway wasn't as public as it would be today. Shanny was and is the man in denver in terms of historic coaching. It will be a long time before anyone takes the top spot.

So here is my top 4 coaches since I have been a Bronco fan.

1. Shanny
2. Reeves
3. McDaniels
4. Phillips

Just after one press conference I rate McDaniels ahead of Wade...I hate that tub of crap!
Riddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 AM   #20
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Cito just likes to rile feathers he doesn't believe the bull **** that comes out of his mouth.
Consider me successfully troll'd haha
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #21
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

My only criteria is Superbowls, and since Shannahan is the only one to do that, he is number one. Regardless of what team he was "given" (or built)

Plus,

Even his "bad years" or losing seasons, we were never the laughing stock of the NFL, while many other successfull franchises were.

Last edited by Peoples Champ; 01-14-2009 at 10:05 AM..
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

1. Shanny
2. Miller
3. Reeves

the rest are all fine coaches, but I can't really break down eaches ranking in Bronco's history.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #23
Rocky Mountain Stampede
Solid Starter

Quote:

Great take people.

Shanahan
Reeves
Saban
I did say Reeves was a hell of a football coach who should be in the HOF.

I went back-and-forth with Reeves/Miller at 2/3 and eventually decided on Miller because I thought he was underappreciated by the pro football world in general. I wasn't trying to diminish Reeves' accomplishments at all.

Anyways you convinced me. Reeves is back at #2 where he belongs.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #24
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
Cito Pelon, what's it like not knowing anything about football? You are like a chick rooting for a home run on 2nd and goal from the 6
That's awesome!!! I thought the same thing. A month or so back he was trying to make the point that Shanahan won the Super Bowls mostly with Reeves and Phillips' players.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #25
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I don't understad all the Reeves hate as well. the guy should be in the HOF. After Super Bowl 33 does anyone know how many Super Bowls Dan was a part of? Almost a quarter of them. 3-4 with Dallas, 3 with Denver and 1 with Atlanta.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote