The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
RocBronc
Pro Bowler

Default What if...

What if Bates isn't offered a job with the new staff and Cutler doesn't like the thought of learning a completely new system that will involve several years of rebuilding as we bring in the kind of players you need to run the systems McDaniels/Nolan are implementing (on offense and defense) and demands to be traded.

I know this isn't likely but Cutler strikes me as hard headed enought to maybe do this...

How pissed would you guys be and what kind of package would you guys want in return
RocBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

The the punk can sit. He has a contract and should honor it. Also it would show how much he needs to grow-up and that he's not a real leader.

Basically the kid won't do this.

Everyone fears or resents change to some extent.

Jay is just going to have to understand that as long as he plays this is how the NFL works.

Jay should also look at the track record McDaniels has shown the past few years. Jay is going to still be the focus of the offense and he's going to get his stats.

Jay will be fine.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Then we get a helluva lotta value for Jay Cutler. He's one of my three favorite players on this team but I don't care for his attitude at all. Don't care for the way he carries himself, the way he yells at his teammates, or the way he argues with the officiating crew during the games. But he is fun to watch, especially when he is on and you are generally sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for him to make a big play. He has some growing up to do and hopefully he will do just that. I was only 10 years old when Elway was entering this stage of his career so I don't remember, but what was he like? I imagine he was kind of the same. Confident even arrogant and kept you on the edge of your seat. He'll be alright eventually.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocBronc View Post
What if Bates isn't offered a job with the new staff and Cutler doesn't like the thought of learning a completely new system that will involve several years of rebuilding as we bring in the kind of players you need to run the systems McDaniels/Nolan are implementing (on offense and defense) and demands to be traded.

I know this isn't likely but Cutler strikes me as hard headed enought to maybe do this...

How pissed would you guys be and what kind of package would you guys want in return
If someone doesn't want to play for the Broncos let them go. We put up with a totally disfunctional defense and an offense that looked terrible after the first 15 plays most of the year. Jay has potential and a great arm (just ask him) but he doesn't have the ability to hold a franchise at gun point to get his own whinny way. Change was needed and unfortunately he got comfortable with the administration which was on its way out. If he really wanted the coaches he had to stay he and the rest of the team shoulda busted ass to save their jobs when he had the chance. Say what you want but very few broncos players threw their bodies around in reckless fashion to make plays or to keep/save the club med atmosphere they grew accustom to under Shanny.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
If someone doesn't want to play for the Broncos let them go. We put up with a totally disfunctional defense and an offense that looked terrible after the first 15 plays most of the year. Jay has potential and a great arm (just ask him) but he doesn't have the ability to hold a franchise at gun point to get his own whinny way. Change was needed and unfortunately he got comfortable with the administration which was on its way out. If he really wanted the coaches he had to stay he and the rest of the team shoulda busted ass to save their jobs when he had the chance. Say what you want but very few broncos players threw their bodies around in reckless fashion to make plays or to keep/save the club med atmosphere they grew accustom to under Shanny.
Yep, even complained publicly when he made them put pads on b/c he knew they were getting soft! Who was it that said part of the reason he came here is b/c he had heard that it was a lot easier on them during the season?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Jay will get over it.
Especially when he throws for 6,000 yards and 55 TD's.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

What if Champ Bailey decides he doesn't want to play with us anymore, because we fired Slowick? What if Hamilton doesn't want to play without a zone blocking scheme? What if Daniel Graham doesn't want to play in a New England system anymore?

These guys are professionals. Cutler's not gonna leave because his buddy isn't on the staff anymore...And if he DID, he'd probably tell Bowlen so, and Bowlen would probably force McDaniels to keep Bates.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

This is one of the first jobs McDaniels will do, and one we will probably never hear about. I think Josh will be able to win Jay over. As stated before, Jay needs to chill out and listen a little more (to good advice). His arrogant side does indeed get in the way of some growth. But, I would rather have a restless racehorse, than a crappy QB who doesn't have the skills or fire to compete.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Why on earth would Jay Cutler balk at playing in a system that made a potential franchise player out of a guy who hadn't taken a snap since high school? There is no "rebuilding" to do on this offensive unit save finding a frontline running back (which we'd have to do anyway) and maybe plugging Lichtensteiger in for Casey if he quits, something else that would happen anyway. All our other skill positions are set. If anything, Cutler must be smiling knowing that he will play in a system that set an NFL record for points a year ago AND he's finally going to get a defense...not like Shanahan was bothering to work on that side of the ball much so the net result is Jay is moving a lot closer to a full team around him than he was with Bates/Shanny. What's Bates done anyway that people are so enamored with that guy? From where I sit this offense underperformed significantly relative to their talent this year.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon View Post
What if Champ Bailey decides he doesn't want to play with us anymore, because we fired Slowick? What if Hamilton doesn't want to play without a zone blocking scheme? What if Daniel Graham doesn't want to play in a New England system anymore?

These guys are professionals. Cutler's not gonna leave because his buddy isn't on the staff anymore...And if he DID, he'd probably tell Bowlen so, and Bowlen would probably force McDaniels to keep Bates.
I'd hope Bowlen would tell Jay to earn his paycheck under any staff Bowlen brings in and if he can't he'll find someone who can. What we really need out of an offensive leader like Jay is someone who desparately wants to win at any cost not someone worried about a buddy no longer on staff. If he really has those concerns please go elsewhere and we'll find someone more concerned with winning.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:18 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

He'll play. He'll realize it'd be ridiculously stupid not to. If he wants to be hard-headed about it, he DOES have an option to not resign and then be a dick if he gets tagged in a year or two and try to force his way back to Mike. That's the only semi-realistic "What if" scenario I can see playing out.

He'll be a career Denver player though.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #12
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

In 2009 the BRONCOS will not be soft. No more politics of the Shanny favorites (Champ) and the hand holding (Jay) of players. Players are going to have to earn their keep in Denver.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

He has three years left at least. It's amazing what a little success on the offensive side of the ball will do to make a QB happy. I'm sure we'll have that success.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

....people actually finished thread titles so that they had a somewhat decent description. That would be cool huh?
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
In 2009 the BRONCOS will not be soft. No more politics of the Shanny favorites (Champ) and the hand holding (Jay) of players. Players are going to have to earn their keep in Denver.
Yes, Heav. Because if I had to point out two players on the Broncos roster that haven't earned their keep it's Champ and Jay....

uhh
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #16
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yes, Heav. Because if I had to point out two players on the Broncos roster that haven't earned their keep it's Champ and Jay....

uhh
The Champ coddling will go on NO MORE! NO MORE BREAKS JUST BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST PLAYER ON DEFENSE!
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:15 AM   #17
jmz313
Ring of Famer

If Jay is skeptical of JMAC's dedication to Offensive domaniance, He's an idiot. He gets paid lots of money and will probably be have a better career due to this change. Change is good.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #18
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

amazing how you guys think.. we were ranked #2 in OFFENSE!! How the hell can we get any better? We were ranked top 10 in redzone offense when had a decent RB through the 1st 12 weeks of the season! You don't get better by changing what has proven to work.

You don't go to a power run team, when our O-line doesn't fit the bill! When our Line has given up the fewest number of sacks. When dallas proved in TC that we can't hold our blocks 1on1! Get your heads out of your asses, McD isn't a saint sent from NE to save our Offense. What the **** is there to save?
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

No packages, he'd get to sit on his ass, lose his whole paycheck in fines, and watch his career turn into the second coming of Jeff George.

I'll be real surprised if we don't draft a QB in the middle rounds this year for McDaniels to develop behind Cutler, and we'll probably actually start having 3 QBs on the roster from now on (Cutler, a vet backup for the short term, and the young guy we'll be bringing along to replace the vet backup).

Also, we've got all the talent McDaniels needs to run his offense and then some, never mind the fact that in his four years as offensive play caller for NE ('05-'08) he's had a revolving door at basically every position except QB, LT, and TE yet still coached to their strengths and produced a top 10 offense.

If Cutler isn't incredibly excited to finally work with an elite offensive mind who is still at the top of his game then I'd question his desire to be an elite NFL player. McDaniels coached Brady to the best seasons of his career and he just made Matt Cassel look better than Cutler himself, who has just about a metric ****ton more talent.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #20
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Cutler needs to keep the change, just like BoFA, and in the end, it will all be worth it.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #21
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

Good ****ing God...what if the world starts revolving the other way, or the oceans turn into jello. Lets imagine another scenario that wont happen.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #22
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

I love how we actually haven't heard anything from Cutler on this except for the first day Shanahan was fired, when he was obviously a little caught off guard and still rightly upset by the news. Then someone makes a post asking "What if..." and suddenly everyone runs to the barn to grab their torches. This place is a riot.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #23
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
suddenly everyone runs to the barn to grab their torches. This place is a riot.
Are we finally going after the Champ coddlers? good.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #24
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

What if Cutler decides to leave because of the new system? Then, you would see the Mother of All Meltdowns on the Mane...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #25
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:

Then McDaniels would have done a stupid thing, and don't be suprised if he tries and benches Cutler at some point. His "mentor" the camera did the samething to Bernie Kosar in Cleveland.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote