The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
lostknight
In The Arena
 
lostknight's Avatar
 
ohwaitwtf

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default A roadmap for winning in 2009: McDaniels Edition.

So what does this team need to do to succeed in 2009?

Build on Mike's talent, but add some twists
The reality is that the offense is in great shape. Peyton Hillis has show brilliance in the RB position, easily the most since Clinton Portis, Terell Davis and Mike Anderson. The WR corp with Marshall, Royal and Stokley is in the running to be the best in the NFL, behind perhaps only the Arizona Cardinals.

Peyton Hillis might be the pivot between Shanahan's running system and a Billichick style offense. His ability to run out of the backfield ala the Miami game, and his ability to power through the line might make him a superstar in the league. That combined with a spread offense leaves Hillis, Marshall, Royal and Stokley in the field.

Or he may never recover from his injury. Remember how high everyone was on Mike Bell after his first season?

Another disconnect is that the New England system typically does not utilize mobile quarterbacks. Jay is better outside the pocket then in. While Jay has to realize that just because he can throw the ball, doesn't mean she should, pinning him into the pocket in a attempt to improve his decision making (focus downfield rather then on the pocket) might not work. Jay's stupid passes typically don't occur after the pocket has been open for a while and is about to close suddenly, but rather when the pocket collapses immediately or the pocket might collapse in 10 minutes.

Finally go outside both New England and Shanahan and take a look at what San Diego has done with their 15 yard short passes, practiced like clockwork have made Phillip Rivers look like a much better quarterback then he actually is.

Switch to Red Miller 3-4

The best games in 2009 where the games that shut down the running game. The running game is won or lost at the d-line. 3-4 lines are better at controlling the running games, and with a strong CB corp (which we have) and a decent LB corp (which we don't) will result in a middle of the road defense.

We don't need a lights out defense. We need a mediocre defense, somewhere in the high teens to win. The key to this defense is up the middle. We need a strong nose tackle (a very difficult - perhaps impossible task), a strong set of ILBs and a good nickle corner.


Ditch the arrogance:
One thing that has alarmed me is how arrogant this team has become.
  • Jay comparing his arm strength to Montana and Elway (sure kid, but that doesn't mean you are a great QB).
  • Players showboating in the end zone (a NFL wide problem). Can you imagine Rod Smith and Eddie Mac pulling the routines that our players do?
  • Defensive players celebrating on stops at goal line. With how pathetic they were this year, that is not something to celebrate, rather a badge of shame for how often they did not.
  • Our new coach walking in and acting as if he had actually won Super Bowls the last three years.

It starts at the top with McDaniels. Congrads, you just won the best open coaching job outside of the Colts this year. But you are replacing a legend in Mike Shanahan. Until you have won some superbowls, be efficient, modest and good. You can jaw off on how great your system is after that.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,342

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Well, this is stupid.

You think McDaniels is arrogant?
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 29,605

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

So you don't want Jay to answer the questions asked of him. Since that is arrogance to you? Ok great that sounds like fun.

Then again aren't you the one who also thought the team switched in season from a 4-3 to a 3-4 just for ****s and grins rather than out of deperation.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster
 
Crushaholic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,500

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

Hillis showed some good things before he was injured. I'm not quite ready to put him in the category with all the other great running backs in Denver. Until I see him shred defenses for touchdowns, he'll remain a "change of pace" back in my eyes.
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
AbileneBroncoFan
Pro Bowler
 
AbileneBroncoFan's Avatar
 
Do your job.

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 563

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

Hillis is not our best option as the primary ball carrier. I want him to get 5-10 carries a game. Michael Pittman was the best runner we had last year, but I think we will address RB in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft with either Knowshon or LeSean McCoy. Depends on how the first 11 picks fall and if we can find a trade partner to trade down.

I don't have a problem with Jay Cutler saying he has the strongest arm. He has by far the best arm in the NFL right now. But he knows as well as we do that it doesn't mean jack if we don't win. And if McDaniels didn't win 3 Super Bowls, why does he have 3 rings? He may be a little arrogant (I didn't see this, but apparently others did), but I'll take that in a coach. If you don't think your plan and your system will be successful, you will probably not be worth a crap as a coach.
AbileneBroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,284

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

McDaniels has earned the right to be a cocky bastard, 32 and a HC in the NFL, 3 Super Bowl wins, was the OC of the best offense in NFL history. we need a superior attitude like his to rub off on our players. we need to get our players thinking they are better than they are, so they will play better than they did this year.

I am not sure about Hillis yet. until he goes more than 3 games and averages over 20 carries a game, i will want a RB.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,342

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Hillis and someone else would make a killer RB combo. My vote is Derrick Ward.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,143

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
Jay comparing his arm strength to Montana and Elway (sure kid, but that doesn't mean you are a great QB).
He compared his arm to Montan's? Cripes I have a better arm than Montana.

Last edited by footstepsfrom#27; 01-13-2009 at 01:19 PM..
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,812

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Defensive players celebrating on stops at goal line. With how pathetic they were this year, that is not something to celebrate, rather a badge of shame for how often they did not.
I repped you for this sentence alone.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #10
jhat01
Ring of Famer
 
jhat01's Avatar
 
Knuckle Dragging Homer

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West River
Posts: 1,853

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ManRam
Default

"It starts at the top with McDaniels. Congrads, you just won the best open coaching job outside of the Colts this year. But you are replacing a legend in Mike Shanahan. Until you have won some superbowls, be efficient, modest and good. You can jaw off on how great your system is after that."

WTF are you blabbering about?? Jeezus Sally, your p***Y hurt? You and I must have watched an entirely different presser
jhat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
telluride
Ring of Famer
 
telluride's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,557

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--
Default

If McDaniel brings only one thing from NE I hope it's that franchise's ability to make the best use of all the skills of their most versatile players. Because with Hillis, Woodward, Larsen, and Royal, we have some damned versatile athletes.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
NUB
Just Crafted
 
NUB's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,529

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
[*] Defensive players celebrating on stops at goal line. With how pathetic they were this year, that is not something to celebrate, rather a badge of shame for how often they did not.
Take a few step backs and tell them to stop celebrating on a first and ten garbage stop when we're down 30 points in the waning fourth.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 29,605

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

I do agree on the god awful I touched you while you were down because you slipped so I get credit for a sack celebration dance. Its disgusting and I think the NFL should start having 10 yard minor Unsportsmanlike Penalties for that crap.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
Tankgunner95
Hell yea I want some PIE!
 
Oh its true

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Posts: 461

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Cartman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbileneBroncoFan View Post
Hillis is not our best option as the primary ball carrier. I want him to get 5-10 carries a game. Michael Pittman was the best runner we had last year, but I think we will address RB in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft with either Knowshon or LeSean McCoy. Depends on how the first 11 picks fall and if we can find a trade partner to trade down.

I don't have a problem with Jay Cutler saying he has the strongest arm. He has by far the best arm in the NFL right now. But he knows as well as we do that it doesn't mean jack if we don't win. And if McDaniels didn't win 3 Super Bowls, why does he have 3 rings? He may be a little arrogant (I didn't see this, but apparently others did), but I'll take that in a coach. If you don't think your plan and your system will be successful, you will probably not be worth a crap as a coach.
No way in HELL we pick a RB in the 1st or 2nd ROUND, Write that down or take a picture, I dont give a I'd like to crawl in the same snuggie with cuz thats not going to happen!!!!!
Tankgunner95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
Ninjatime
Solid Starter
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 149

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

As long as we throw touchdowns to Brandon Marshall over and over, a-la 2007 Pats offense, I'll be happy.
Ninjatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #16
lostknight
In The Arena
 
lostknight's Avatar
 
ohwaitwtf

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

What;s your goal, TD's for Marshall, or a super bowl ring for Marshall? To score, pass. To Win Run.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #17
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,045
Default

Quote:
We don't need a lights out defense. We need a mediocre defense, somewhere in the high teens to win. The key to this defense is up the middle. We need a strong nose tackle (a very difficult - perhaps impossible task), a strong set of ILBs and a good nickle corner.
Screw that.

If we wanted a mediocre defense that was good enough to win and then inevitabley got blown out of the water in the playoffs against good offenses then we should have stuck with Coyer and Mike Shanahan and ignored the defense.

Our good players like Boss/DJ/Dumervil/Champ etc being healthy alone makes this a mediocre defense.

We don't need a mediocre defense, we need a very good one because nothing else is going to be good enough to win the SuperBowl.

Anything less is just foreplay.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Paladin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,290
Default

Well, the good ones have pretty good foreplay before they actually get there. Know what I mean?

This could get interesting........
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,333

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbileneBroncoFan View Post
I don't have a problem with Jay Cutler saying he has the strongest arm. He has by far the best arm in the NFL right now. But he knows as well as we do that it doesn't mean jack if we don't win. And if McDaniels didn't win 3 Super Bowls, why does he have 3 rings? He may be a little arrogant (I didn't see this, but apparently others did), but I'll take that in a coach. If you don't think your plan and your system will be successful, you will probably not be worth a crap as a coach.

JaMarcus Russell might take issue with your strongest arm claim. He might suck balls, but the dude's got a cannon.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #20
lostknight
In The Arena
 
lostknight's Avatar
 
ohwaitwtf

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Well, the good ones have pretty good foreplay before they actually get there. Know what I mean?
I suspect he doesn't. ;-)
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 PM   #21
dsmoot
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbileneBroncoFan View Post
I don't have a problem with Jay Cutler saying he has the strongest arm. He has by far the best arm in the NFL right now. But he knows as well as we do that it doesn't mean jack if we don't win.
The strongest arm doesn't mean anything if you can't make all the type of throws you need to intelligently. Does anybody remember Bobby Douglas with the Bears in the late 60's early 70's. That guy could throw the ball through a wall. He just didn't know what wall he would hit. He could throw smoke. He should have been a MLB closer, nobody would have been digging in against him.
dsmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #22
AbileneBroncoFan
Pro Bowler
 
AbileneBroncoFan's Avatar
 
Do your job.

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 563

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankgunner95 View Post
No way in HELL we pick a RB in the 1st or 2nd ROUND, Write that down or take a picture, I dont give a I'd like to crawl in the same snuggie with cuz thats not going to happen!!!!!
Never say never in a draft. I don't think we will take a WR, but I won't say there's no chance. You have to see how it plays out, and you should under NO CIRCUMSTANCE, go into a draft saying we are not taking this position period, unless it is quarterback and you have a franchise QB. Case in point, I guarantee you people said before the 06 draft "no way in hell we take a QB in the first." Right. Should we take a RB if there is just as good of a prospect at DL or LB or S available? No. But should we take a DL just for the sake of taking a DL? No.
AbileneBroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #23
AbileneBroncoFan
Pro Bowler
 
AbileneBroncoFan's Avatar
 
Do your job.

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 563

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
JaMarcus Russell might take issue with your strongest arm claim. He might suck balls, but the dude's got a cannon.
I'm sorry. I was not aware that JaMarcus Russell counted as an NFL quarterback. High School JV maybe.

And I realize that arm strength isn't everything, which is why I said after that statement that NONE OF IT MATTERS IF WE DON'T WIN. Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
AbileneBroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #24
baja
Elite Sissie
 
baja's Avatar
 
Because

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,448

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies
Default

It's amazing to me how many people confuse confidence with arrogance

Confidence is saying, We got a lot of work to do but we have a good plan and we will put a winning football team on the field.

Arrogance is saying something like, We are going to win because I am a great coach ,I guarantee it.

McDaniels is super confident and you better be glad he is.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #25
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,526

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
So what does this team need to do to succeed in 2009?

Build on Mike's talent, but add some twists
The reality is that the offense is in great shape. Peyton Hillis has show brilliance in the RB position, easily the most since Clinton Portis, Terell Davis and Mike Anderson. The WR corp with Marshall, Royal and Stokley is in the running to be the best in the NFL, behind perhaps only the Arizona Cardinals.

Peyton Hillis might be the pivot between Shanahan's running system and a Billichick style offense. His ability to run out of the backfield ala the Miami game, and his ability to power through the line might make him a superstar in the league. That combined with a spread offense leaves Hillis, Marshall, Royal and Stokley in the field.

Or he may never recover from his injury. Remember how high everyone was on Mike Bell after his first season?

Another disconnect is that the New England system typically does not utilize mobile quarterbacks. Jay is better outside the pocket then in. While Jay has to realize that just because he can throw the ball, doesn't mean she should, pinning him into the pocket in a attempt to improve his decision making (focus downfield rather then on the pocket) might not work. Jay's stupid passes typically don't occur after the pocket has been open for a while and is about to close suddenly, but rather when the pocket collapses immediately or the pocket might collapse in 10 minutes.

Finally go outside both New England and Shanahan and take a look at what San Diego has done with their 15 yard short passes, practiced like clockwork have made Phillip Rivers look like a much better quarterback then he actually is.

Switch to Red Miller 3-4

The best games in 2009 where the games that shut down the running game. The running game is won or lost at the d-line. 3-4 lines are better at controlling the running games, and with a strong CB corp (which we have) and a decent LB corp (which we don't) will result in a middle of the road defense.

We don't need a lights out defense. We need a mediocre defense, somewhere in the high teens to win. The key to this defense is up the middle. We need a strong nose tackle (a very difficult - perhaps impossible task), a strong set of ILBs and a good nickle corner.


Ditch the arrogance:
One thing that has alarmed me is how arrogant this team has become.
  • Jay comparing his arm strength to Montana and Elway (sure kid, but that doesn't mean you are a great QB).
  • Players showboating in the end zone (a NFL wide problem). Can you imagine Rod Smith and Eddie Mac pulling the routines that our players do?
  • Defensive players celebrating on stops at goal line. With how pathetic they were this year, that is not something to celebrate, rather a badge of shame for how often they did not.
  • Our new coach walking in and acting as if he had actually won Super Bowls the last three years.

It starts at the top with McDaniels. Congrads, you just won the best open coaching job outside of the Colts this year. But you are replacing a legend in Mike Shanahan. Until you have won some superbowls, be efficient, modest and good. You can jaw off on how great your system is after that.
Scouts rate people im sure jay has heard about how strong his arm is for a while. then some idiot from a newspaper asks him what he thinks. he responds and then us fans jump on Jay because he answered a question. i thought we wanted honesty folks. and less bs answers..
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Denver Broncos