The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Why would Everette Brown be better than Clint Sintim as a 3-4 OLB?

Sintim is slotted to go later. Sintim also played OLB and had over 10 sacks. Everette Brown did well but playing out of a DE in a 4-3. Why would we not be better off drafting Sintim? Bear in mind, Im not lobbying against Brown but merely scrutinizing value.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Boss Man
Solid Starter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Sintim is slotted to go later. Sintim also played OLB and had over 10 sacks. Everette Brown did well but playing out of a DE in a 4-3. Why would we not be better off drafting Sintim? Bear in mind, Im not lobbying against Brown but merely scrutinizing value.
I would say the ideal situation is to obviously land one of the two. However I feel the best value combined with talent would be praying that Sintim will be there at our second pick, as you've said sintim has experience in a 3-4 and more or less he has roughly the same skill set. I believe a prime scenario Denver should consider is trading down with someone such as the lions and taking Tyson Jackson and then Sintim in the second.

However it is very justifiable to stay at 12 and taking a presence at Mlb in Maualuga or a leader such as Spikes if he does in fact declare... Sorry got a little of track ... Regardless all of this is merly meaningless speculation until the team reveals what it intends to do with the current personell.
Boss Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

He has good pass rush skills and has good size at 250 pounds. I wonder if he can get up to like 260 pounds?

In any event do we even know if Broncos are going 3-4 for sure?

If not then this kid would still fit pretty good at outside linebacker in a 3-4. Probably on the strong side for Broncos.

I can't wait for draft and FA so we can see how McDaniels and Goodman plan on fixing this mess.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

since it seems inevitable that we will be a 3-4 defense now, i would like us to go after Sintim. i like Brown but if we are going to deviate from the 4-3 i think he would be a project 1st rounder that we were trying to either teach OLB, or bulk him up a little more to be a bigger DE in a 3-4

Sintim already has the experience.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Here is the thing about 3-4 defenses, we are not going to play the very aggressive Philips version like the Cowboys and Chargers. If you look at the Patriots OLBs who are more the sort of players we will be looking for, they are all true LBs.

I like Sintim and I think Cushing could have a role as well, the other kid from USC Clay Matthews could also be interesting.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

It's all in the quick twitch fibers.

Everett Brown will be a force against the run and the pass. Whatever is slightly below an LT burst of the LOS, he has that.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Ninjatime
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Lets just draft Tebow, we will need a RB in week 9 or so anyway. Jump passes in the NFL!
Ninjatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Elway777
Ring of Famer

If the Broncos decide to switch to the 3-4 then Everette Brown has to be #1 on our draft list. Cleveland or 49ers will most likely draft him though.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway777 View Post
If the Broncos decide to switch to the 3-4 then Everette Brown has to be #1 on our draft list. Cleveland or 49ers will most likely draft him though.
I doubt McDaniels would draft a LB in the first. Belichick only ever drafted one first day LB in his time at NE and that was Mayo in the first last year. Their school of thinking is that OLB in the 3-4 is the hardest position to project for a player coming out of college. Accordingly, they devalue those prospects somewhat, and their usually gone before the round the Patriots value them at.

I think Lamar Woodley was the only 3-4 OLB drafted since Ware/Merriman to register 5 sacks last year. It's a developmental position. You pick them later on and teach them the position for a few years.
ayjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Further to my last post, if we're going to a 3-4, and McDaniels follows the Belichick model, they'll pick a d-lineman. Seymour, Warren, Wilfork were all first rounders. I don't see any offensive need that would preclude the pick of a giant athlete to play end or nt in the 3-4.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

There is no Richard Seymore where we are drafting. You can't fit a square peg in a round hole.

Taylor Mays would have been first on my board.

Everette Brown a close 2nd at this point.

I haven't seen enough of Aaron Maybin but a lot of people are high on him.

At this point, with Mays gone and several solid OLB prospects in the draft and tons of holes to fill, i would rather we trade back with PHilly (just name dropping) and try to land a combination of William Moore/Tyson Jackson or Paul Kruger. I think that makes more sense.

I bet McDaniels is going to be tempted by Jeremy Maclin if he is there.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
ayjackson
Pro Bowler

Not so new to the forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
There is no Richard Seymore where we are drafting. You can't fit a square peg in a round hole.
There was no Richard Seymour on anybody's board when they chose him sixth overall (it was considered a reach). The Patriots had their own board, and I'm betting McDaniels does too. And I'll bet dollars to donuts that no OLB is on it at #12. I expect he'll do what he can to move down and gain picks. But I wouldn't be surprised if he found a big DL he liked at #12. We'll see as the draft season rolls on if anybody emerges in the planet category.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #13
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Here is the thing about 3-4 defenses, we are not going to play the very aggressive Philips version like the Cowboys and Chargers. If you look at the Patriots OLBs who are more the sort of players we will be looking for, they are all true LBs.
I like Sintim and I think Cushing could have a role as well, the other kid from USC Clay Matthews could also be interesting.
Tedi Bruschi played defensive line in college. DT, I think.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #14
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjackson View Post
There was no Richard Seymour on anybody's board when they chose him sixth overall (it was considered a reach). The Patriots had their own board, and I'm betting McDaniels does too. And I'll bet dollars to donuts that no OLB is on it at #12. I expect he'll do what he can to move down and gain picks. But I wouldn't be surprised if he found a big DL he liked at #12. We'll see as the draft season rolls on if anybody emerges in the planet category.

Wow, its interesting to see people talk as though the coach is the GM. Its hard getting use to the fact that Goodman may not be as slavish to what they did in New England.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayjackson View Post
Actually I recall Richard Seymore being projected high. That was the year Marcus Stroud came out from UGA as well.

If you don't believe me though, here's the first mock draft I found from 2001. King, Kirwin and Banks all had him going at #10, which is not that far from #6.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...xperts_picks2/
Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #16
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

It's just value really. I'd rather Sintim in a trade-down in a 3-4 than Brown at #12, IMHO.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #17
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

Taylor Mays would have been first on my board.

Everette Brown a close 2nd at this point.

I haven't seen enough of Aaron Maybin but a lot of people are high on him.

At this point, with Mays gone and several solid OLB prospects in the draft and tons of holes to fill, i would rather we trade back with PHilly (just name dropping) and try to land a combination of William Moore/Tyson Jackson or Paul Kruger. I think that makes more sense.

I bet McDaniels is going to be tempted by Jeremy Maclin if he is there.
What are your thoughts on the DT's out there and the OLB/LB tweeners that could play in the 3-4? I see at least 15-20 LB's that are in this draft that would be upgrades, but not as many 3-4 DL if they go that direction. Many of the 3-4 DL are mid rounders at this point IMHO.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
It's just value really. I'd rather Sintim in a trade-down in a 3-4 than Brown at #12, IMHO.
Sintim will go up. He reminds me of Jerrod Mayo last year. Everyone said early second rounder and look how that worked out.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
What are your thoughts on the DT's out there and the OLB/LB tweeners that could play in the 3-4? I see at least 15-20 LB's that are in this draft that would be upgrades, but not as many 3-4 DL if they go that direction. Many of the 3-4 DL are mid rounders at this point IMHO.
I think there is a ton of value you out there, especially at OLB. There always is, which is why i'm a fan of the 3-4. There are way more tweeners or athletes out there that can be plugged into the 3-4. It's why NE/Baltimore/Pittsburgh stay fat and deep every year and only a 1/3 of the league run the defense.

A couple of DL names i'm interested in early are Tyson Jackson from LSU and Paul Kruger from Utah. Jackson is a great defender, not necessarily a great pass rusher even though he gets pressure. Kruger reminds me of a Justin Smith/Carriker type. His best ball is definitely in front of him.

I would love for Denver to trade back. We are at a sweet spot. Somebody who wants to overpay for a Maclin or Maualuga can do so and we can pick up some extra picks early and take a handful of players that can help us fix this unit.

I would love to land Will Moore and Paul Kruger. That would be huge for us. Philly could look to move up. Maualuga would be huge in their defense as a blitzer and Maclin could be a huge weapon for McNabb moving forward. D. Jackson and J. Maclin would be two HUGE dynamic players which would help out Westbrook a lot.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #20
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I think there is a ton of value you out there, especially at OLB. There always is, which is why i'm a fan of the 3-4. There are way more tweeners or athletes out there that can be plugged into the 3-4. It's why NE/Baltimore/Pittsburgh stay fat and deep every year and only a 1/3 of the league run the defense.
That's really what it comes down to and it's why I've wanted to go this route for some time. Building a 3-4 seems to be easier than a 4-3. Finding the NT is difficult but it's no more difficult than finding the killer DE to make the 4-3 work.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #21
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:
Tyson Jackson fits the bill and with good workouts could be worth 12
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #22
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Tyson Jackson fits the bill and with good workouts could be worth 12
I do not think so. He does not have the drive and nastiness of Seymore. He is more like TY Warren than Seymore, not that that is bad, but its not a top15 pick either.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #23
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

A couple of DL names i'm interested in early are Tyson Jackson from LSU and Paul Kruger from Utah. Jackson is a great defender, not necessarily a great pass rusher even though he gets pressure. Kruger reminds me of a Justin Smith/Carriker type. His best ball is definitely in front of him.

I would love for Denver to trade back. We are at a sweet spot. Somebody who wants to overpay for a Maclin or Maualuga can do so and we can pick up some extra picks early and take a handful of players that can help us fix this unit.

I would love to land Will Moore and Paul Kruger. That would be huge for us. Philly could look to move up. Maualuga would be huge in their defense as a blitzer and Maclin could be a huge weapon for McNabb moving forward. D. Jackson and J. Maclin would be two HUGE dynamic players which would help out Westbrook a lot.
Yeah, we are thinking alike here except I think Stewart Bradley was exceptional this year for PHI and they need an OLB to complement Gocong more than a Mike. The guy who would be perfect for them would be Clay Matthews, a guy DEN would be wise to look at late on the first day. He can play with his hand down or rush OLB.

What is your take on Moala and Ron Brace?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: