The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default My Fix The Defense Mock Draft (3 rounds)

First, sign two free agents. Win the bidding war for Suggs, then get go after Atogwe for FS.

I understand that the combine could greatly change a few of these picks.

First round - trade back a few spots and pick up an extra third. So, this scenario shows the first four picks (trade back in fist, pick up an extra third)

This draft is based on my opinion of the most important player in a dominant 3-4 system - the OLB. This guys really needs to be an athletically gifted D-end. He needs to be a terror on pass rush, but be able to drop in coverage with a TE. These guys are the freaks worth paying for.

#1 - Michael Johnson DE, Georgia Tech. I think this guy could be the next Merriman type at OLB. He is tremendously gifted in space and has the power to dominate at the line.
#2 - Tyson Jackson DE, LSU. We need some badasses on the d-line. Jackson is that. He would be great as a 3-4 DE.
#3a - Dannell Ellerbe ILB, Alabama. A good thumper for one of our inside spots.
#3b - Terrance Taylor DT, Michigan. Here's our new NT. Already 320lbs, a powerlifting champ, wrestling star, and big bad mofo.

So, my starting lineup on defense in 2009 would be:

DE - Tyson Jackson
NT - Terrance Taylor
DE - Kenny Peterson

OLB - Michael Johnson
ILB - Dannell Ellerbe
ILB - DJ or Larsen (let them compete)
OLB - Suggs

FS - Atogwe
SS - Barrett

CB - Bailey
CB - Bly

Everyone else can compete, or goes in the trading block. Elvis and Jarvis can try to make the switch to OLB. Woodyard competes for ILB.

Marcus Thomas and Robertson can try out NT or DE and see how they fit. They would definitely create a team with a lot of size and depth on the D-line.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I like it.
We definitely need to beef up our lines.
The only difference is I dont think we will get Suggs.
And I would hope Thomas could beat out Peterson for that DE spot.

I think we should give Moss/Crowder/Doom a chance to start at OLB before we toss them aside.
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Dukes
Ring of Famer

This would make me very happy. Is Robertson capable of playing DE in a 3-4? I bet he's pissed that we're switching after what happend in NY.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I am not so sure that our 1st 3 picks w/o trades will be on the defensive side of the ball. I can see at least one being on the offense.

2nd, I don't know if I would want to go with 4 rookies in my front 7. I would be happy with 2 Defensive studs drafted 1 and 2, and then a hodgepodge of offense, defense and ST guys to fill it out.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I'm on board
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
bryantkev
Just Drafted

Good choices. I hope the draft goes this well.
bryantkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I agree that I look at this grouping with some hesitation because of the youth involved. But, all of our vets will be learning a new system also, so it's not that huge.

There are obviously several guys that would compete at the DE / OLB / ILB slots. Crowder, Ekuban , and Clemons could take a shot at DE. Elvis and Jarvis would try out OLB. Woodyard and Winborn compete for backup ILB / special teamer. No Webster, no way, no how.

But, OLB is such a key position in a 3-4. It's what separates a great 3-4 (Steelers, Ravens), from a crappy 3-4 (Cleveland).

Just ask yourself what happened to San Diego once Merriman dropped out. It was a huge blow and it took them about 13 games to recover. OLB needs a freakish talent to create a freakish defense.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I hate the Michael Johnson pick. I have watched him all season and he not good enough in space, has crappy pass rush moves, isn't strong enough at the point of attack and struggle getting past so-so blockers. He more of the Larson (SF 49ers out NCST) then Merriman. And Terrance Taylor has shown nothing this season to be worth a 3rd rounder. In fact I expect him to be sitting there late in 4th or early fifth.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I hate the Michael Johnson pick. I have watched him all season and he not good enough in space, has crappy pass rush moves, isn't strong enough at the point of attack and struggle getting past so-so blockers. He more of the Larson (SF 49ers out NCST) then Merriman. And Terrance Taylor has shown nothing this season to be worth a 3rd rounder. In fact I expect him to be sitting there late in 4th or early fifth.
I'm not real big on Johnson either, I get a Quentin Moses vibe from him.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes View Post
This would make me very happy. Is Robertson capable of playing DE in a 3-4? I bet he's pissed that we're switching after what happend in NY.
He is gone either way since his price tag is sky high.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

That is a SERIOUS gap in Michael Johnson evaluations ... is he Shawn Merriman or Quentin Moses?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'm in the minority. I don't like it. Johnson to me is a good potential pick in a 4-3. His length just doesn't translate on the edge in the 3-4 IMO. Does the kid love the game? He's often been a guy highly regarded because of his tools but he's never dominated his competition.

I do like Tyson Jackson.

Taylor is a 4th rounder and slipping. He may be a 5th/6th rounder after the combine if he participates. I'm not a huge Ellerbe fan either.

Last edited by bpc; 01-21-2009 at 05:18 AM..
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
First, sign two free agents. Win the bidding war for Suggs, then get go after Atogwe for FS.

I understand that the combine could greatly change a few of these picks.

First round - trade back a few spots and pick up an extra third. So, this scenario shows the first four picks (trade back in fist, pick up an extra third)

This draft is based on my opinion of the most important player in a dominant 3-4 system - the OLB. This guys really needs to be an athletically gifted D-end. He needs to be a terror on pass rush, but be able to drop in coverage with a TE. These guys are the freaks worth paying for.

#1 - Michael Johnson DE, Georgia Tech. I think this guy could be the next Merriman type at OLB. He is tremendously gifted in space and has the power to dominate at the line.
#2 - Tyson Jackson DE, LSU. We need some badasses on the d-line. Jackson is that. He would be great as a 3-4 DE.
#3a - Dannell Ellerbe ILB, Alabama. A good thumper for one of our inside spots.
#3b - Terrance Taylor DT, Michigan. Here's our new NT. Already 320lbs, a powerlifting champ, wrestling star, and big bad mofo.

So, my starting lineup on defense in 2009 would be:

DE - Tyson Jackson
NT - Terrance Taylor
DE - Kenny Peterson

OLB - Michael Johnson
ILB - Dannell Ellerbe
ILB - DJ or Larsen (let them compete)
OLB - Suggs

FS - Atogwe
SS - Barrett

CB - Bailey
CB - Bly

Everyone else can compete, or goes in the trading block. Elvis and Jarvis can try to make the switch to OLB. Woodyard competes for ILB.

Marcus Thomas and Robertson can try out NT or DE and see how they fit. They would definitely create a team with a lot of size and depth on the D-line.
i like it, but i tend to think there will be an offensive player drafted by the 2nd round. i am assuming FA will be all about the defense, maybe some offensive depth pickups, but mainly defense, which will in turn free us up to go after an offensive player(RB) by the 2nd round.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:03 AM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I am not a big fan.

I hate Michigan defensive linemen more than I hate genital warts and I am not a fan of Michael Johnson, he looks too much like a perpetual underachiever to me. Motor runs cold too often, I don't think he is particularly coachable and he is more a physical specimen than a football player. To me he has all the hallmarks of a Jarvis Moss or Jamaal Anderson.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: