The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
GoHAM
Ring of Famer
 
GoHAM's Avatar
 
36, now that's shabby!

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: County 5
Posts: 1,212

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein
Default According to DP: Nolan's the new DC

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11434955

Didn't see it posted anywhere else.





Nolan set to return to Denver
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 01/12/2009 09:38:35 AM MST
Updated: 01/12/2009 10:12:27 PM MST


In his first task as head coach, Josh McDaniels may conjure up ex-Broncos to fill his coordinator positions.

Mike Nolan, the former San Francisco 49ers head coach who was part of Dan Reeves' defensive staff in Denver from 1987-92, has agreed to become the Broncos' new defensive coordinator once contract details are finalized.

"I have talked to Mike Nolan but nothing's official yet," McDaniels said at his introductory press conference Monday.

Both Nolan and McDaniels have coached for teams that run the 3-4 system. The Broncos have been mostly running out of the 4-3 set for the past 25-plus years.

McDaniels also will need an offensive coordinator. With the Broncos going offense with their head coach, the team's current

Rick Dennison, left (Denver Post file photo)offensive coordinator, Rick Dennison, is shopping his services elsewhere.
Dennison interviewed Monday for the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator position, according to two NFL sources. Dennison was one of seven candidates interviewed for the Broncos' head coaching job that went to now former New England Patriots' offensive coordinator McDaniels, who received a four-year contract.

Should Dennison coach elsewhere in 2009, one possible replacement would be former Broncos' offensive lineman Jeff Davidson.

Davidson worked with McDaniels on the Patriots' offensive staff in 2004 and is now the Carolina Panthers' offensive coordinator.

Davidson was the Broncos' fifth-round draft pick in 1990 and started all 16 games at left tackle in 1991 and left guard in 1992.
GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,577
Default

Awsome. Lets all move on now.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,247

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

See, this just doesn't strike me as 'awesome'. I read the thread on Nolan's impact on defenses and I just wasn't all that impressed. A 3-4 should look like Pittsburgh, Baltimore and/or New England--tactically superior, athletically superior, and attack-driven. I haven't seen this in ANY of Nolan's defenses and this concerns me. Maybe I'm off base.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,234

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWYO View Post
Should Dennison coach elsewhere in 2009, one possible replacement would be former Broncos' offensive lineman Jeff Davidson.

Davidson worked with McDaniels on the Patriots' offensive staff in 2004 and is now the Carolina Panthers' offensive coordinator.
Pass-happy spread offense loving head coach with an OC that loves nothing more than pounding the ball. At least they're looking to cover all their bases.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

Once again... Lets hope for the best.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,357

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
See, this just doesn't strike me as 'awesome'. I read the thread on Nolan's impact on defenses and I just wasn't all that impressed. A 3-4 should look like Pittsburgh, Baltimore and/or New England--tactically superior, athletically superior, and attack-driven. I haven't seen this in ANY of Nolan's defenses and this concerns me. Maybe I'm off base.
Can I poke some holes in that? Sandy Clough was yapping about this yesterday acting all smug saying "I look at the record."

Nike Nolan took over a team in the Giants that went from the 26th best scoring defense to the first. People say "It got worse under him" but don't point out that the offense went to hell because they had Dave Brown at QB who threw multiple INT's and took 40+ sacks a season as a starter. They were the thirtieth worst offense in the league and remember this '96 so that's dead last.

The Redskins had a bunch of players retire and go south in a hurry because Snyder spent all his time trying to rebuild the offense those years.

His first year as Defensive coordinator in Baltimore the Ravens had a bunch of turnover on defense as well as injuries and the next year they were back at fourth in the league. Nolan played a part in that.

As for the Niners, they haven't had a good draft in forever. He certainly found Patrick Willis, but he was the most sure thing on defense in the draft that year. Their FO just isn't good and some coordinators don't make good head coaches.

Bottom line is there is more going on to Nolan than people are leveling. You talk to people around the league who know football and they'll all tell you he is hard and fair and one of the most respected (though not liked) coaches in football. Personally I'm ready to see someone come into town that the players respect but don't like. I'm sick of seeing stupid-ass Slowick yuking it up with Dre Bly while we get shell shocked. Nolan is a welcome change of scene.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

I'd trade Dennison for Davidson, he's done some real good things in developing a power running game behind some well developed OLs.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Pass-happy spread offense loving head coach with an OC that loves nothing more than pounding the ball. At least they're looking to cover all their bases.

This past season new england ran the ball 513 times for 2200 yards and 21 tds. Not bad for a pass happy O coordinator. You go with what you have, right?


Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Dukes
Ring of Famer
 
Dukes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You talk to people around the league who know football and they'll all tell you he is hard and fair and one of the most respected (though not liked) coaches in football. Personally I'm ready to see someone come into town that the players respect but don't like. I'm sick of seeing stupid-ass Slowick yuking it up with Dre Bly while we get shell shocked. Nolan is a welcome change of scene.
Exactly, we don't need the coach to be the players' best friend. They need soemone who will keep them honest and kick them in the pants when needed.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer
 
Dudeskey's Avatar
 
This space for rent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,310
Default

We're rollin' w/ Nolan... I like this DC hire a lot.
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Riddi
Seasoned Veteran
 
Its been five years!!!!

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 293
Default

Dennison don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!
Riddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer
 
Dudeskey's Avatar
 
This space for rent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddi View Post
Slowik don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!
Fixed it for you
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,441

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Bottom line is there is more going on to Nolan than people are leveling. You talk to people around the league who know football and they'll all tell you he is hard and fair and one of the most respected (though not liked) coaches in football. Personally I'm ready to see someone come into town that the players respect but don't like. I'm sick of seeing stupid-ass Slowick yuking it up with Dre Bly while we get shell shocked. Nolan is a welcome change of scene.
Completely agree. He is going to be taking on the challenge of rebuilding not only one of the worst defenses in football, but also one of the youngest. I have no doubt, that Nolan is going to rub some of older defensive players the wrong way similar to when Tom Coughlin moved to the Giants. But Honestly, sans Champ and maybe D.J., no one has enough clout to even warrant a second whine if they aren't on board. The first process that Mike will bring is to cut out the softness, and there is plenty. Believe me, you won't see double-bicep flexes after making a tackle ten-yards down the field, or the eight-yard CB cushion with Nolan at the helm. That in itself will be a monumental improvement.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Pass-happy spread offense loving head coach with an OC that loves nothing more than pounding the ball. At least they're looking to cover all their bases.
i'm going with the assumption that we are going to be balanced on offense. i think we will have the spread offennse a lot, but we are still going to run 25 times a game at least.
McDaniels probably realizes looking at our offense that had we been balanced we would have won more, and with a young QB a runnning game is a necessity.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Capers might still be in the picture. Sirius is saying that he's leaving NE but the destination is unknown. The word was that if Sapgnuolo took an HC job this year the Giants might try and bring him in as DC.

So who knows, maybe we'll be picking him up as an Asst. HC right off too.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,842

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Can I poke some holes in that? Sandy Clough was yapping about this yesterday acting all smug saying "I look at the record."

Nike Nolan took over a team in the Giants that went from the 26th best scoring defense to the first. People say "It got worse under him" but don't point out that the offense went to hell because they had Dave Brown at QB who threw multiple INT's and took 40+ sacks a season as a starter. They were the thirtieth worst offense in the league and remember this '96 so that's dead last.

The Redskins had a bunch of players retire and go south in a hurry because Snyder spent all his time trying to rebuild the offense those years.

His first year as Defensive coordinator in Baltimore the Ravens had a bunch of turnover on defense as well as injuries and the next year they were back at fourth in the league. Nolan played a part in that.

As for the Niners, they haven't had a good draft in forever. He certainly found Patrick Willis, but he was the most sure thing on defense in the draft that year. Their FO just isn't good and some coordinators don't make good head coaches.

Bottom line is there is more going on to Nolan than people are leveling. You talk to people around the league who know football and they'll all tell you he is hard and fair and one of the most respected (though not liked) coaches in football. Personally I'm ready to see someone come into town that the players respect but don't like. I'm sick of seeing stupid-ass Slowick yuking it up with Dre Bly while we get shell shocked. Nolan is a welcome change of scene.
Funny thing, I was driving home from work this afternoon and around 4:30 I pull into the driveway and something catches my attention on 104.3. A caller (that sounds somewhat familiar) says he wants to ask Sandy a few questions and proceeds to rattle off all of Nolan's successes. He goes into the points allowed turnaround from 20th to 1st. I'm thinking that sounds familiar. Then I hear the caller talk about Dave Brown and his 20 INTs and 40+ sacks... At that point I know, this dude either reads the Mane or posts there b/c he's rattling off Khan's post verbatim and Sandy is being a lil'B and cutting him off b/c the caller is making him look like an poor prepared fool. I missed the last part of the call b/c I was busy calling my buddy Nick to ask him if he was listening in. I told him what was going down on The Fan and that it was somebody from the mane and I was pretty sure it was Khan! He said he thought it may have been Montrose as he likes to call in and give those bozos hell from time to time. Anyhow, about 20 minutes later my cell phone is ringing and Khan's calling to say that it was indeed him. Said that he opened by saying that he wasn't trying to put Sandy on the defensive and just wanted him to know that there was a lot to Nolan's past other than the poor performances he was touting.

Khan said his computer was getting worked on today so he wouldn't be on (that's newly wed code for "I'm trying to get lucky tonight") this evening. He'll be back tomorrow to tell of his moment in which he enlightened Denver Sports Radio.

Btw Khan, I had just opened my gas bill when you called so if I sounded a little ticked off, it was bewilderment... not you! Sorry I didn't tell you congrats on your recent marriage. It was good talking to you!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 5,965

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Funny thing, I was driving home from work this afternoon and around 4:30 I pull into the driveway and something catches my attention on 104.3. A caller (that sounds somewhat familiar) says he wants to ask Sandy a few questions and proceeds to rattle off all of Nolan's successes. He goes into the points allowed turnaround from 20th to 1st. I'm thinking that sounds familiar. Then I hear the caller talk about Dave Brown and his 20 INTs and 40+ sacks... At that point I know, this dude either reads the Mane or posts there b/c he's rattling off Khan's post verbatim and Sandy is being a lil'B and cutting him off b/c the caller is making him look like an poor prepared fool. I missed the last part of the call b/c I was busy calling my buddy Nick to ask him if he was listening in. I told him what was going down on The Fan and that it was somebody from the mane and I was pretty sure it was Khan! He said he thought it may have been Montrose as he likes to call in and give those bozos hell from time to time. Anyhow, about 20 minutes later my cell phone is ringing and Khan's calling to say that it was indeed him. Said that he opened by saying that he wasn't trying to put Sandy on the defensive and just wanted him to know that there was a lot to Nolan's past other than the poor performances he was touting.

Khan said his computer was getting worked on today so he wouldn't be on (that's newly wed code for "I'm trying to get lucky tonight") this evening. He'll be back tomorrow to tell of his moment in which he enlightened Denver Sports Radio.

Btw Khan, I had just opened my gas bill when you called so if I sounded a little ticked off, it was bewilderment... not you! Sorry I didn't tell you congrats on your recent marriage. It was good talking to you!
Somebody from the Mane called in to 'Movin the Chains' on NFL Radio tonight and talked about the transition to the 3-4 defense. It ended up in a discussion about trading Champ and what his value would be on the market. Pretty good call.

So, who was it?
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,842

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

What did the guess Champ's value in a trade would be?

I've seen people on the mane say a first and third... which is absurd.

I think possibly a late first to someone like the Giants or Dolphins but more likely a 2nd and 4th.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Nolan's past HC experience should certainly be a big help to McDaniels as well, even in the minutia like organizing and scheduling practices, meetings, etc.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,842

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Nolan's past HC experience should certainly be a big help to McDaniels as well, even in the minutia like organizing and scheduling practices, meetings, etc.
He said "minutia". I have a buddy who's boss thanked him for being his minutia sifter. Gets paid quite well too. I think he was a little insulted by the comment, but the paychecks make him feel a little better I'm sure!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #21
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator
 
Man-Goblin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 5,965

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
What did the guess Champ's value in a trade would be?

I've seen people on the mane say a first and third... which is absurd.

I think possibly a late first to someone like the Giants or Dolphins but more likely a 2nd and 4th.
Well, the discussion started at a 1st round pick, but Kirwin and Ryan were unsure as to whether they could get that. They left it open as a possibility, though. They threw around teams that might be interested in a man coverage corner; Atlanta, Washington (?), NYG, but the most intriguing team to me was Houston.

Kirwin stated that it's almost impossible to gauge the value of Champ Bailey on the open market until he gets there; which I agree with.

I, personally, would not trade him. But I wouldn't rule out that the new administration would. They are looking at building a 3-4 defense from almost scratch. You're going to have to use as many picks/assets that you have to do that.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 AM   #22
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,842

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Corners can typically play well in either a 3-4 or 4-3. The biggest difference for them is man or zone coverages. Some of the defenses that McD has been a part of had Asante Samuel on them and he was a terror. I'd like to think that they see Champ as a better player and know what he is capable of with a pressuring defense.

I also like the fact that we could bring in Dom Capers and along with McD help to design some aggressive blitz packages to go with what Nolan does well which is teaching the players how to diagnose and then attack.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,308

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Now, Nolan picked Denver over Green Bay, right?

He's gotta like something he sees here.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #24
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,842

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Sunshine and the mountains
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #25
bronco_diesel
giddy-up
 
bronco_diesel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: denver
Posts: 1,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'm sick of seeing stupid-ass Slowick yuking it up with Dre Bly while we get shell shocked. Nolan is a welcome change of scene.
kaylor, i could be wrong, but when i read your posts i get the overwhelming feeling you don't care for slowick?
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Denver Broncos