The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Default Bates' role now in question

Josh McDaniels' statement Monday that he will handle play-calling duties for the Broncos might further cloud the future of the person who handled that job in 2008.

Jeremy Bates remains under contract with the Broncos and will interview with McDaniels to clarify his future.

In his official capacity this season as passing-game coordinator, Bates became among the closest staff members to quarterback Jay Cutler.

"I think Josh and Jeremy will sit down and talk and he'll decide Jeremy's role, if any, with our team," said Jim Goodman, the Broncos' de facto general manager. "But his experience has been with play-calling, and we respected that when we talked to him and we asked him the question whether he'll call plays, and he said, 'Yes.' You have to respect that. He's done it."

Other holdover assistants the Broncos want to interview with McDaniels are running backs coach Bobby Turner, receivers coach Jedd Fisch and offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, who met Monday with San Francisco 49ers officials about their coordinator vacancy.

McDaniels to pick staff

Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has voiced his preferences for bringing back certain assistants but indicated he won't push the issue with McDaniels.

"I think it would be a mistake for me to say, 'You've got to do this' in that type of situation because then if it doesn't work out, then it's my problem," Bowlen said. "But I think there are some coaches here I'd like to see remain. If the head coach decides he can't do that, then it's going to be his decision."

McDaniels said he'll have "no preconceived notion" on the future of Broncos assistants, of whom he knows only a couple informally.

"That's a decision that will be made here over the next few days," he said.

Even-keeled

McDaniels was careful many times not to go too deep into personnel deficiencies, nor would he make any grand pronouncements about the state of the team.

The Broncos have gone three straight seasons without a playoff appearance.

"I think I'll reserve judgment on that. I want to evaluate everything we can evaluate here," he said.

"But our goal is to win, and as soon as we can do it at a championship level, that's what we're going to try and make happen here. When that is or timetables, I don't want to say.

"But there are good players here and there's a tradition of winning. I'm proud to join it."

No do-overs

After hours of meetings, piles of questions to go with piles of answers and a cross-country trip thrown in as well, Bowlen said he isn't in any hurry to do such an extensive search for a coach any time soon.

Bowlen interviewed seven candidates in a week, making it the biggest search he has conducted for a coach.

"Enjoyable would be stretching it a little bit," Bowlen said. "But it was educational."

He added: "All of the people I interviewed, I can't think of one person who didn't have some right to be here. . . . In the past, it hasn't been that way. These guys out there now have done their homework."

On 'Spygate'

McDaniels was asked about the impact of the Patriots' "Spygate" troubles, in which the team was fined $250,000 and docked a first-round pick, and coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 for videotaping New York Jets defensive signals in the 2007 regular-season opener.

"It really didn't affect us, to tell you the truth," McDaniels said. "I don't think it's good to have that kind of attention. . . . Certainly never looking to do anything that's not within the rules established by the National Football League. They determined the punishment on that, it was what it was and we moved on."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...w-in-question/
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Considering Bates' new contract was signed off by the FO and finished Dec 24th, yet Pat's inclination is to let the HC handle off of his coaching staff, this really illustrates how this entire situation WAS an impulse thing.

So what was the tipping point?
A) SD game?
B) Taking back "power"?
C) Something even more obscure?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 AM   #3
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Considering Bates' new contract was signed off by the FO and finished Dec 24th, yet Pat's inclination is to let the HC handle off of his coaching staff, this really illustrates how this entire situation WAS an impulse thing.

A) SD game?
B) Taking back "power"?
Yep. I get the feeling that Bowlen just wanted to make a power play, like something that was said about how Shanahan owns him and the Broncos and that Bowlen is just his butt buddy finally pissed him off enough.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:14 AM   #4
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Well, Pat's managed to blow up the 1 thing that worked pretty good despite 7 RB's on IR.,

What's next on his plate? Rebuild the offensive staff around a rookie HC?

I thought this offseason was about fixing the defense?

Nolan Collier's dunce.

You want to see our future defense, just look at Dallas without the talent. or SF's.

Last edited by watermock; 01-13-2009 at 06:20 AM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #5
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Nolans stats are a lot better than Slow***** but not that impressive either
Old 01-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Nolan runs Colliers soft 4-3.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 AM   #7
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I don't want a soft 4-3 that sits back I want a "STRONG" playing Defense that attacks
Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

A) SD game?
B) Taking back "power"?

I think Jeremy Bates has an incredibly keen mind for playcalling - he was a real asset for the Broncos in 2008. However, he isn't very good at teaching decision making, or working with Jay on "winning games" rather than making highlight reels. He just seems like too much "buddy" and not enough "coach."

Jay needs more discipline to win a championship. He can still be a gunslinger with a rocket arm when necessary, but he needs to look for more short routes to keep drives going. That is a quality that is very "Brady-esque" and I would really, really like to see Cutler makes strides in that area.

If McDaniels can help Cutler with that discipline, then its worth losing Bates.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #9
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I think Jeremy Bates has an incredibly keen mind for playcalling - he was a real asset for the Broncos in 2008. However, he isn't very good at teaching decision making, or working with Jay on "winning games" rather than making highlight reels. He just seems like too much "buddy" and not enough "coach."

Jay needs more discipline to win a championship. He can still be a gunslinger with a rocket arm when necessary, but he needs to look for more short routes to keep drives going. That is a quality that is very "Brady-esque" and I would really, really like to see Cutler makes strides in that area.

If McDaniels can help Cutler with that discipline, then its worth losing Bates.
I don't necessarily disagree. I'm focused in on the parts of the article that show the plan as of 12-24 was to keep the current staff in place, and then trying to figure out what Bowlen's catalyst was.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #10
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree. I'm focused in on the parts of the article that show the plan as of 12-24 was to keep the current staff in place, and then trying to figure out what Bowlen's catalyst was.
I agree with you Rev, but I also think this is very good that everything will be broken down and rebuilt. We can keep all the components that work, but they should all be re-evaluated. Bates, Turner, Dennison, and Fisch could all be assets if they accept whatever roles McDaniels gives them - otherwise they would just be talented and dysfunctional.

I think in the long run, Bowlen had a gut feeling that Shanny had just stagnated. This organization needed a shakeup to make any progress. It is painful, but looking back I think it was also necessary.

Shanny was going to keep Slowik. Holy ****! Could you imagine what another 1-2 years of drafting for Slowik would do for this organization? Dear God, I think we have already wasted a couple years of Champ's career, and it would be a travesty to see him spend his last few years under Slowik.

This organization needed to change, Bowlen rolled the dice. I'm sad about losing Shanahan, but this looks promising. We are shooting for the whole ball of wax here - looks like a dynasty build or bust. But, we will probably do better than 24-24 over the next three seasons.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I don't want a soft 4-3 that sits back I want a "STRONG" playing Defense that attacks
Mock doesn't know what he is talking about. Nolan employs the 3-4 defense. Which is more aggressive by nature.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #12
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:

A) SD game?
B) Taking back "power"?
Does anyone here actually think that Shanahan wouldn't still be the coach if we beat San Diego or Buffalo?
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #13
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by killericon View Post
Does anyone here actually think that Shanahan wouldn't still be the coach if we beat San Diego or Buffalo?
If they beat Buffalo and SD and showed strong in the playoffs, yes. But it sounds to me that Bowlen started thinking about this mid season. Then sealed the deal after the SD debacle.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
It really doesnt matter what the catalyst was. Its done and the team is in for A LOT more change than we thought we were going to see.

Change is necessary and in many cases, scary. I was worried about losing the offensive coaching if we hired McDaniel but now Im hearing that it didnt matter who we hired, most of the offensive staff was going to leave anyway. I agreed with the decision to let Shanahan move on, but I also knew that it was risky.

Broncos football, the football we have grown used to and all love, I think is dead. It died the day Bowlen fired Shanahan and now we have to adapt to a new type of Broncos football. One that may not feature the run game (or it may, we really just dont know yet) but one that certainly wont allow for plug an dplay running backs anymore.

Change, Obama preached it, now we got it. ****.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

I don't buy that this was a snap decision. I think Bowlen let Mike run things as usual until his termination and Bates was part of that. If he put the brakes on a staff member extension, especially in the playoff hunt with games to play, it would send a message you don't have confidence in either coach and be a distraction. Bowlen let Shanahan try and get into the playoffs and make a run. He let him wear all his hats through the end of the season and that included letting Bates get an extension. After it all unraveled he canned Shanahan and now nothing is off the table, including letting Bates go.

I think if Bates fits into the plans of McDaniels then he should stay but we should not bend around what the new head coach wants to do to accommodate Bates. McDaniels is the head coach and we need to give him every opportunity to run things the way he thinks will give us a championship. Bates is a great coach, but he's an assistant and having everyone on the same page takes precedence over whatever relationship Bates and Cutler have. Hopefully we can have our cake and eat it too, but if not Bates is gone.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

And Cutler will mope and make a statement about it but in the end he will get over it too.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
...the team is in for A LOT more change than we thought we were going to see.
If this change includes better defense, better special teams, an offense that moves the ball and scores, division titles, and playoff wins, I'm 100% in favor of it.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #18
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I'd kinda like to have Bates stay and work with McDaniels together they would probably come up with one helluva game plan and Bates could still work with Cutler
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #19
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
and now we have to adapt to a new type of Broncos football. One that may not feature the run game (or it may, we really just dont know yet) but one that certainly wont allow for plug an dplay running backs anymore.
As long as Clady, Harris and Kuper are starting, I don't see the running game stalling out any time soon.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #20
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Bates gives Cutler his insulin shots... who's going to do that now
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #21
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
If this change includes better defense, better special teams, an offense that moves the ball and scores, division titles, and playoff wins, I'm 100% in favor of it.
Don';t count on it this next year dude. It may happen but odds are stacked against big improvements in any of the areas next year.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #22
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I don't buy that this was a snap decision. I think Bowlen let Mike run things as usual until his termination and Bates was part of that. If he put the brakes on a staff member extension, especially in the playoff hunt with games to play, it would send a message you don't have confidence in either coach and be a distraction. Bowlen let Shanahan try and get into the playoffs and make a run. He let him wear all his hats through the end of the season and that included letting Bates get an extension. After it all unraveled he canned Shanahan and now nothing is off the table, including letting Bates go.

I think if Bates fits into the plans of McDaniels then he should stay but we should not bend around what the new head coach wants to do to accommodate Bates. McDaniels is the head coach and we need to give him every opportunity to run things the way he thinks will give us a championship. Bates is a great coach, but he's an assistant and having everyone on the same page takes precedence over whatever relationship Bates and Cutler have. Hopefully we can have our cake and eat it too, but if not Bates is gone.
But what background do you have to NOT think it was a snap decision, really?

The last two pressers have shown that the Goodmans have handled the past three drafts (Shanahan) and also free agency (McDaniels). As fun as it is for local writers to claim Shanahan was a "Supreme Dictator for Life" ala Adolf, he certainly wouldn't be the only man involved in signing off and creating a new contract for Bates.

Now, if this weren't impulsive, why would the Bowlen and anyone else who may have placed input into the decision (Xanders, Ellis, Goodmans) allow a week 16 contract, instead of waiting ONE week until the post-season to evaluate their own direction and make these decisions?

It was either impulsive or poor business. I'm certainly not inclined to believe they practive poor business.

Personal coaching preferences aside, doesn't anyone else find that curious?
Old 01-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #23
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Don';t count on it this next year dude. It may happen but odds are stacked against big improvements in any of the areas next year.
Personally, I think odds are stacked for great leaps defensively and, in turn, ST coverage units. The FA market and draft are just too good and too deep this year.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #24
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
But what background do you have to NOT think it was a snap decision, really?

The last two pressers have shown that the Goodmans have handled the past three drafts (Shanahan) and also free agency (McDaniels). As fun as it is for local writers to claim Shanahan was a "Supreme Dictator for Life" ala Adolf, he certainly wouldn't be the only man involved in signing off and creating a new contract for Bates.

Now, if this weren't impulsive, why would the Bowlen and anyone else who may have placed input into the decision (Xanders, Ellis, Goodmans) allow a week 16 contract, instead of waiting ONE week until the post-season to evaluate their own direction and make these decisions?

It was either impulsive or poor business. I'm certainly not inclined to believe they practive poor business.

Personal coaching preferences aside, doesn't anyone else find that curious?
I don't. When has Bowlen ever put his hand down and vetoed anything Shanahan has done? Bowlen believes in hiring good people and getting out of their way. If he suddenly starts shutting down hires in the middle of the season it would throw up all sorts of red flags. If he had done that Shanahan would have cause to say Bowlen disrupted the chemistry of the staff. It doesn't make sense on so many levels. I know you're determined to think this was a power play and purely ego driven, but I think Bowlen was tired of missing the playoffs and seeing his team's fan base dwindle and decided it was time to move on. I don't think there was any event that triggered it beyond seeing his team get blown out on national TV for the second time and undergo one of the worst team collapses in NFL history to miss the playoffs. I think Bowlen said "enough is enough."

Last edited by Kaylore; 01-13-2009 at 07:43 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #25
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Personally, I think odds are stacked for great leaps defensively and, in turn, ST coverage units. The FA market and draft are just too good and too deep this year.
Is Bowlen going to spend in FA? Recent history suggests that route is over with and that Bowlen;s play is to build through the draft.

And get money savers in FA.