The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Default Free Agents to Target for the 3-4 Defense

Now that it's almost certain the Nolan will be the DC with Capers I'm thinking they'll be moving to a 3-4 base defense.

With that in mind here is a list of FA this offseason that are available and IMO are pretty much plug and play to come into 3-4 to give our defense a much needed boost:

DE:
1. Chris Canty: Probably the best 3-4 DE available
2. Shaun Cody: Coming out of the draft a lot of people thought he would be an ideal 3-4 guy but his career his been stunted by playing in Detroit in a 4-3 for most of the time. We could get him for cheap and he's got pretty big upside.
3. Igor Olshansky: I hate this punk but beggers can't be choosers.

LB:
1. Terrell Suggs: Nothing I can say will describe the effect a head hunter like Suggs can have in our defense. An out and out pass rusher with good skills against the run.
2. Bart Scott: Another speedy Ravens LB who excels in the Ravens 3-4
3. James Farrior: The name says it all.
4. Mike Peterson: The ideal ILB. A real thumper against the running game.

NT:
?

Safeties: The safety class is loaded with talented top notch guys who would be a vast improvement over the junk we've got back there
1. Darren Sharper
2. Jermaine Phillips
3. Osigmoghue Atogwe
4. Mike Brown
5. Gerald Sensabaugh

Not all of these guys are going to cost an arm and a leg, especially the safeties. The major money will go for a guy like Suggs or Chris Canty. The rest can be had for decent money.

Out of the current group of players in our team the only ones I can see making the transition are DJ, Thomas/Robertson as DEs, Moss/Dumervil (Maybe, just of depth as tweeners) and Champ/Bly/Williams/Paymah.

The rest can can walk, but we might be forced to stick with guys like Boss/Winborn for depth.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Bigger more physical outside backer like Dansby in ariz who goes 250 are ideal inside in a 3-4. The only linebacker that really can't play in a 3-4 are little tiny ones that are under 235 pounds. Winborn, Webster,Boss Bailey are just too small for anything in a 3-4. DJ is borderline and would need to be paired with a big mauler for the other inside spot.

Usually the size ratios are 240-250 inside backers, and 260 pound outside linebackers. Obviously smaller guys that are borderline in LBS will have to be physical players.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Also I would put Brain Dawkins on that safety list. He's older but still obvioulsy has some yrs left. Also safety's as good as him often effective for a long time.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Now that it's almost certain the Nolan will be the DC with Capers I'm thinking they'll be moving to a 3-4 base defense.

With that in mind here is a list of FA this offseason that are available and IMO are pretty much plug and play to come into 3-4 to give our defense a much needed boost:

DE:
1. Chris Canty: Probably the best 3-4 DE available
2. Shaun Cody: Coming out of the draft a lot of people thought he would be an ideal 3-4 guy but his career his been stunted by playing in Detroit in a 4-3 for most of the time. We could get him for cheap and he's got pretty big upside.
3. Igor Olshansky: I hate this punk but beggers can't be choosers.
*No way on Igor!!! You're right beggers can't be choosers, but you can't sell your soul to the devil either. Canty and Cody would be great fits.

LB:
1. Terrell Suggs: Nothing I can say will describe the effect a head hunter like Suggs can have in our defense. An out and out pass rusher with good skills against the run.
2. Bart Scott: Another speedy Ravens LB who excels in the Ravens 3-4
3. James Farrior: The name says it all.
4. Mike Peterson: The ideal ILB. A real thumper against the running game.

I had suggested almost the exact same cast, except Dansby instead of Peterson. I was also calibrated on Farrior signing an extended contract some short time ago.

NT:
?
There aren't any! That is why we have to look to Raji at #12 which is a slight reach, but his upside is very nice. His motor and ethic were questionable leading up to his Sr. year... stock is climbing!

Safeties: The safety class is loaded with talented top notch guys who would be a vast improvement over the junk we've got back there
1. Darren Sharper
2. Jermaine Phillips
3. Osigmoghue Atogwe
4. Mike Brown

5. Gerald Sensabaugh

Atogwe and Mike Brown were part of my "get well plan". Atogwe is one of the three FAs I wanted regardless of scheme (3-4, 4-3). He can support vs the run but is a great ball hawk coming off of a 6 FF, 5 Int season. Mike Brown, when healthy, is a very good safety with a nose for the all.

Not all of these guys are going to cost an arm and a leg, especially the safeties. The major money will go for a guy like Suggs or Chris Canty. The rest can be had for decent money.

I think Atogwe is a younger Darren Sharper. He will get a pretty good contract, probably in the neighborhood of $4-6m per season. 6 years and $28m would not surprise me.

Out of the current group of players in our team the only ones I can see making the transition are DJ, Thomas/Robertson as DEs, Moss/Dumervil (Maybe, just of depth as tweeners) and Champ/Bly/Williams/Paymah.

Maybe you just forgot them, but what about Spencer Larsen and WWIII? I think both have a spot on this defense. Sure it would be nice to see WWIII bulk up a bit, but he'll play regardless. I think it was Farrior that started off in the 225# range, right? Maybe I'm thinking of Greg Lloyd. Larsen woiuld make a nice WILB in a 3-4. Give him a smaller field to play within and he is a true thumper.

The rest can can walk, but we might be forced to stick with guys like Boss/Winborn for depth.

I had a few other pieces in my offseason plan. But on defense we're pretty close. I added a few draft prospects (Raji, Clay Mathews Jr., and Jasper Brinkley) and then some offense. Derrick Ward, Charlie Batch, and Devery Henderson.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #5
socalorado
Ring of Famer

OF all of the FAs this year, these are the guys i think can totally revamp the defense, and do it quickly.
NT
Shaun Cody- Get him for cheap. He has a huge upside, and he would be rejuvinated in DEN. Great depth for cheap.
LB
Terrell Suggs- Will cost some coin, but DEN has the $, so spend on quality. HUGE, HUGE upgrade. ProBowler, but more importantly, he would become a leader, and one who has playoff experience.
Carlos Dansby- If DEN cant sign Suggs, Danby is a great alternative. A real thumper, he can do it all.
Safety
OJ Atogwe- DEN has to make a push for this guy. Hes simply one of the best FAs to be available in a while. His #s are staggering. 6 Forced Fumbles last year. 6 FF?!?!?!? Are you kidding me?!?!? This means two things. OJ can drop the hammer, and OJ is always around the ball. Hes a ballhawk. He had 5 INTs this season. At one point in OJs NFL career last year, he had 10 picks in 14 games. Yeah, he would solve DENs huge issues at Free Safety. Whatever he costs, get him.Last time i checked, those cheap @$$ clowns in STL dont exactly like to throw money around, and i have no doubt OJ will sit on his hands and wait for the incentive laden contract with big $. Pay the man.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Come next season, the Ravens might have to get used to life without linebacker/defensive end Terrell Suggs, since they have only one franchise tag and three guys (Suggs, Ray Lewis, and Bart Scott) preparing to hit the open market if they aren’t re-signed.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...s-title-fight/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
TonyR
Franchise Poster

IF EAGLES DON’T WANT DAWKINS, HE’LL GO ELSEWHERE
Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2009, 12:46 p.m. EST
Eagles safety Brian Dawkins, drafted by the team was back in 1996, is due to become a free agent after the season.

As of now, there’s been no serious effort to extend his deal.

FOX’s Pam Oliver reports that Dawkins will play elsewhere next season if the Eagles don’t re-sign him.

But Dawkins doesn’t think it’ll come to that.

“When that time comes [to renegotiate with the Eagles], hopefully we’ll be able to get something done, but I’m not sitting here telling you that I don’t think it’s gonna get done, because I believe it will.”

If the Eagles really wanted him, however, they’d already have a new deal done. But since he’s 35 years old, the team might want to see how he holds up through the postseason run before making any decisions about 2009.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...-go-elsewhere/
Old 01-13-2009, 06:30 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

PANTHERS FACE BIG DECISIONS ON PEPPERS, GROSS
Posted by Josh Alper on January 11, 2009, 10:29 a.m. EST
With their season ending earlier than some expected, the Carolina Panthers will now have to turn their attention toward retaining two key players for 2009 and beyond. Offensive tackle Jordan Gross and defensive end Julius Peppers are both free agents and it may be difficult for the team to fit both under their salary cap without serious pruning elsewhere on the roster.

The Panthers are $10 million under the cap for 2009, which wouldn’t be enough to sign both men. A franchise tender to Peppers would cost in the neighborhood of $17 million and a long-term deal would average around $13 million, according to a report from the Charlotte Observer. The same report indicates that the team and Peppers’s agent Carl Carey are negotiating a deal. When asked about his desire to stay with the Panthers after last night’s game, Peppers said he wanted to make the “best decision for myself and for the Panthers’ organization.”

One way the Panthers could clear cap space would be cutting ties with Jake Delhomme, a move that probably became more likely after his six turnovers against the Cardinals. Adam Schefter reports that they’d save $6.325 million if they released the quarterback, a number that may prove too big to pass up.

UPDATE: As a reader points out, the franchise number for defensive ends quoted by the Observer seems out of whack. It was $8.879 million when Terrell Suggs was trying to be designated a defensive end last season. Peppers’ $14,137,500 was the highest cap figure for defensive ends in 2008, according to USA Today, which makes $17 million seem high indeed.

SECOND UPDATE: Actually, the $17 million isn’t out of whack. The franchise tender is the average of the top five cap figures or 120% of his previous cap figure, whichever is more. Peppers, at $14 million-plus is in the latter category.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...peppers-gross/
Old 01-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Eagles safety Brian Dawkins, drafted by the team was back in 1996, is due to become a free agent after the season.

FOX’s Pam Oliver reports that Dawkins will play elsewhere next season if the Eagles don’t re-sign him.

“When that time comes [to renegotiate with the Eagles], hopefully we’ll be able to get something done, but I’m not sitting here telling you that I don’t think it’s gonna get done, because I believe it will.”

If the Eagles really wanted him, however, they’d already have a new deal done. But since he’s 35 years old, the team might want to see how he holds up through the postseason run before making any decisions about 2009.

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

I love Dawkins, but he might be a stretch on a rebuilding team. I would think we might look younger, but the Pats have always been able to extend careers of older players, maybe Josh agrees.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 AM   #11
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
PANTHERS FACE BIG DECISIONS ON PEPPERS, GROSS
Posted by Josh Alper on January 11, 2009, 10:29 a.m. EST
With their season ending earlier than some expected, the Carolina Panthers will now have to turn their attention toward retaining two key players for 2009 and beyond. Offensive tackle Jordan Gross and defensive end Julius Peppers are both free agents and it may be difficult for the team to fit both under their salary cap without serious pruning elsewhere on the roster.

The Panthers are $10 million under the cap for 2009, which wouldn’t be enough to sign both men. A franchise tender to Peppers would cost in the neighborhood of $17 million and a long-term deal would average around $13 million, according to a report from the Charlotte Observer. The same report indicates that the team and Peppers’s agent Carl Carey are negotiating a deal. When asked about his desire to stay with the Panthers after last night’s game, Peppers said he wanted to make the “best decision for myself and for the Panthers’ organization.”

One way the Panthers could clear cap space would be cutting ties with Jake Delhomme, a move that probably became more likely after his six turnovers against the Cardinals. Adam Schefter reports that they’d save $6.325 million if they released the quarterback, a number that may prove too big to pass up.

UPDATE: As a reader points out, the franchise number for defensive ends quoted by the Observer seems out of whack. It was $8.879 million when Terrell Suggs was trying to be designated a defensive end last season. Peppers’ $14,137,500 was the highest cap figure for defensive ends in 2008, according to USA Today, which makes $17 million seem high indeed.

SECOND UPDATE: Actually, the $17 million isn’t out of whack. The franchise tender is the average of the top five cap figures or 120% of his previous cap figure, whichever is more. Peppers, at $14 million-plus is in the latter category.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...peppers-gross/
I dont know how that would work with the 3-4 and for that kind of money Id like to be more certain that he fits the system. Switching to the 3-4 possibly moved Suggs up ahead of Pepper.

The other thing, we have potentially Moss, Dumervil, Williams, Woodyard, and Larsen all possibly getting a crack at LB this year. Im not averse to getting a good LB but someone would have to go. And to be honest, they should probably make that kind of determination early on...in other words, do they want to risk seeing if the guys we currently have will work. The other thing too is the draft. I really like Zack Follett who is slotted to go in the 3-5 rounds, depending on where you look.

Last edited by lex; 01-13-2009 at 06:39 AM..
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:39 AM   #12
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Also I would put Brain Dawkins on that safety list. He's older but still obvioulsy has some yrs left. Also safety's as good as him often effective for a long time.

I didn't want to include Dawkins because he's all of 35 but yeah he's an awesome player who even if he plays for a season here would be great. He would ideal if we draft a safety in the first day and let him sit for the first season to watch Dawkins do his thing.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #13
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Terrell Suggs would be my #1 FA priority if transitioning to the 3-4. Suggs is the most underrated player on that defense. I think Dawkins would be a great signing as well.

Suggs can bring the most as a player, and Dawkins can bring the most as a leader of the defense.

I think Thomas and Robertson are possible stop gaps at NT, and we should look to the draft for a NT instead of trying to go the FA route. Stud NTs just aren't available in FA unless you're willing to break the bank. As far as the draft goes I like Peria Jerry from Ole Miss over Raji. Raji is maxed out on his from at 330, but Jerry can get to 350 and be an absolute beast in the middle.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #14
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Dawkins is just what this team needs. A little heat and fire for that ass. Then again, i'm not familiar with Mike Nolan's system. It is hard to say that it will be anything near as aggressive as Jim Johnson's unit in Philly and I think Dawk feeds off that.

For what its worth, B-Dawkins is the Rodney Harrison of this offseason. A vet who will sacrifice all and everything to win, at any cost.

Bart Scott, T. Suggs, Canty and Dansby should be where we look to spend our money first. It's hard to invest a ton of money in down linemen for the 3-4 though as they are just taking up blocks for the most part. To me that takes Canty out of the equation if we're dropping dough.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #15
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

James Farrior is signed through 2012. He took a lesser deal, back in March 08, to stay with the Steelers long term.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #16
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
I had a few other pieces in my offseason plan. But on defense we're pretty close. I added a few draft prospects (Raji, Clay Mathews Jr., and Jasper Brinkley) and then some offense. Derrick Ward, Charlie Batch, and Devery Henderson.
I don't like Raji because of the issues you detailed already with him. I'd rather a guy like Terrance Taylor (?) who's a real run stopper and force in the middle if developed right.

I didn't forget about Larsen and WW. But I do hope our next DC does. These guys shouldn't see playing time. Sorry, it's a great feel good story but we need real players inside and not some projects.

They can fight their way for playing time through special teams and on the bench.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #17
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Dawkins is just what this team needs. A little heat and fire for that ass. Then again, i'm not familiar with Mike Nolan's system. It is hard to say that it will be anything near as aggressive as Jim Johnson's unit in Philly and I think Dawk feeds off that.

For what its worth, B-Dawkins is the Rodney Harrison of this offseason. A vet who will sacrifice all and everything to win, at any cost.

Bart Scott, T. Suggs, Canty and Dansby should be where we look to spend our money first. It's hard to invest a ton of money in down linemen for the 3-4 though as they are just taking up blocks for the most part. To me that takes Canty out of the equation if we're dropping dough.
Actually, isnt Rodney Harrison a FA this offseason?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
I dont know how that would work with the 3-4 and for that kind of money Id like to be more certain that he fits the system. Switching to the 3-4 possibly moved Suggs up ahead of Pepper.

The other thing, we have potentially Moss, Dumervil, Williams, Woodyard, and Larsen all possibly getting a crack at LB this year. Im not averse to getting a good LB but someone would have to go. And to be honest, they should probably make that kind of determination early on...in other words, do they want to risk seeing if the guys we currently have will work. The other thing too is the draft. I really like Zack Follett who is slotted to go in the 3-5 rounds, depending on where you look.
Dumerville IMO is to short and not agile enough to drop back in coverage to play outside linebacker in a 3-4. He's never done it so I see that as a long shot. Moss seems to have the slightly better body for the tweener jack backer in a 3-4 but really I doubt that is something Broncos can count on.

Woodyard at under 230 pounds has no position in a 3-4 linebacker alignment IMO. He may just be a role player special teamer for Broncos.

Larsen actually has the size and playing style to possibly do well inside in a 3-4. DJ Williams would have to play more physical, and he is just under what you would like size wise, but he's pretty good football player and could probably do it.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Dumerville IMO is to short and not agile enough to drop back in coverage to play outside linebacker in a 3-4. He's never done it so I see that as a long shot. Moss seems to have the slightly better body for the tweener jack backer in a 3-4 but really I doubt that is something Broncos can count on.

Woodyard at under 230 pounds has no position in a 3-4 linebacker alignment IMO. He may just be a role player special teamer for Broncos.

Larsen actually has the size and playing style to possibly do well inside in a 3-4. DJ Williams would have to play more physical, and he is just under what you would like size wise, but he's pretty good football player and could probably do it.
OK, so according to you we need to fill the open spots:

LDE- Peterson
NT-
RDE- Thomas
OLB-
ILB- Larsen
ILB-
OLB-
CB- Bailey
CB- Bly/Bell
SS-
FS-
Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 AM   #20
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
OK, so according to you we need to fill the open spots:

LDE- Peterson
NT- CODY
RDE- Thomas
OLB- WWIII
ILB- Larsen
ILB- REY REY
OLB- SUGGS
CB- Bailey
CB- Bly/Bell
SS- BROWN/BARRETT
FS- OTOGWE

WWIII-"Give the man a chance"
Old 01-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #21
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
WWIII-"Give the man a chance"
Cody is not in the draft. Neither is Mays, btw. And regarding, Rey Rey, McDaniels said he wants smart players. Rey may be a little too undisciplined.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #22
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Cody is not in the draft. Neither is Mays, btw. And regarding, Rey Rey, McDaniels said he wants smart players. Rey may be a little too undisciplined.
I was wondering about Cody. He hasn't declared from Alabama that I have heard.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #23
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Cody is not in the draft. Neither is Mays, btw.
Not the Cody from Bama.
Shaun Cody FA from Detroit.
I know Mays is not in the draft. Never wanted him.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #24
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Ah ok Shawn Cody. Not Terrance Cody.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
*sighs*