The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default McDaniels will be calling the offensive plays

He just said he'll be orchestrating the offense. In case you're not catching the press conference, he intends to bring continuity to the defensive scheme, stating he's played against Denver 5-6 times the past 8 years and seen a different defensive scheme most times playing against us. He plans on installing one scheme and building on it with whatever DC is chosen.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

See ya Jeremy...
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

I want coach McD to be calling the plays... if Jeremy Bates stays.. he could be the QBs coach.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
He just said he'll be orchestrating the offense. In case you're not catching the press conference, he intends to bring continuity to the defensive scheme, stating he's played against Denver 5-6 times the past 8 years and seen a different defensive scheme most times playing against us. He plans on installing one scheme and building on it with whatever DC is chosen.

i am happy about that. there was always too much tinkering going on with the defense, which is another reason we were bad. the players would get comfortable with one scheme and the next week we are doing something else.
we need just one defense, and add to it as we go, not completely change schemes week-to-week
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

McDaniels has experience coaching QBs, as well.

Great stuff. I liked what Bates was doing, but could have stood to see more running. (Given, a healthy back helps.)

I've got a ton of confidence in McDaniels' ability to get major production out of our O.

Hopefully he's going to put the right staff in place for the D, so he can be somewhat hands-off and allow the defensive staff to do their jobs... something we haven't seen in Denver in a long time.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

McDaniels did a little bit of everything with New England. Should be fun.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
Bob
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
Lets hope that he brings "continuity" to the offence...
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

If he cuts Bobby Turner loose he's not as smart as everybody says. Bobby is the Yoda of the NFL running game.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Good Riddance...I don't care if I ever see a Bates called offensive series ever again. It seems our scripted plays played out fine and once he took over the gameplan on thefield things never clicked. Just tell me no wide receiver screens next year and I'm onboard.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

The thought of losing Bates, Turner, and Dennison makes me sick.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Good Riddance...I don't care if I ever see a Bates called offensive series ever again. It seems our scripted plays played out fine and once he took over the gameplan on thefield things never clicked. Just tell me no wide receiver screens next year and I'm onboard.
Never clicked? Were you watching the same team this year? 2nd best offense in the league, statistically. They just didn't get the ball enough due to terrible defense, and had too many RB injuries which really hurt in the red zone.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
The thought of losing Bates, Turner, and Dennison makes me sick.
He was hired to run his offense...i dont mind him bringing in his guys...cant have it both ways. Cant tell him what he can and cannot do with his o when you brought him here to install it
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
FISH
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't think Bates is going anywhere....his roles will just be diminished at first
FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

they should also think about keeping Jedd Fisch
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Unfortunately it will probably be the opposite. Every time Ive watched New England, it seems like a majority of the offense flows through that one play. And as a result, it seems like a lot of his running plays are out of the SG.

Im going to continue pounding the guy until he demonstrates he can and is willing to run as a first option and also out of base formations--not the shotgun. I fear that his offense will score a lot of points but will lack sufficient balance to win big money games like what happened against the Giants. I also am expecting to commit to the run more. We need to fix the running game as well as the defense and we should be looking to run.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
If he cuts Bobby Turner loose he's not as smart as everybody says. Bobby is the Yoda of the NFL running game.
What if Bobby doesn't want to stay without Shanny or Dennison?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #17
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH View Post
I don't think Bates is going anywhere....his roles will just be diminished at first
Bates was given premission to find a new job if wanted. I highly doubt he sticks around. If Dennison get the 49ers jobs I expect Bates and Turner to follow him there.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

If anyone knows the problems with our defense its the guy who threw 41 up on us back when we still thought we might be a contender.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Why did Yoda draft Mo Clarrett when Brandon Jacobs was still on the board?

Force not so strong with that one I see. HMMMMM.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH View Post
Sounds reasonable to me. I think he can still be QB coach and learn McD's system while also contributing some of the old heritage/legacy Shanahan scheme that he knows. I hope he stays for the sake of Cutler. But it wouldn't surprise me if the new coach wanted to completely wipe the slate clean. No holdovers from a past regime and therefore less opportunity for internal strife. These guys are professional though. I'd bet that McD and Bates can form a pretty good working relationship IF both are willing... both are remarkable young minds.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #21
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
He was hired to run his offense...i dont mind him bringing in his guys...cant have it both ways. Cant tell him what he can and cannot do with his o when you brought him here to install it
He was hired to be the head coach, not the offense coordinator.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #22
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

NE Rushing statistics, 2008
513 Carries, 2278 yards, 4.4 average, 21 TDs (6th in the NFL)

NE Rushing Stats, 2007
451 Carries, 1849 yards, 4.1 average, 17 tds (13th in NFL)

Dont think he has a problem with calling the run if the offense skill set he has demands it.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #23
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Why did Yoda draft Mo Clarrett when Brandon Jacobs was still on the board?

Force not so strong with that one I see. HMMMMM.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Broncos front office wasn't calling up Turner and asking him for final clearance on who to draft. Nor would personnel decisions, should he ever make them, have much of an impact on his ability to coach. Come on man, we just came from 15 years of Mike Shanahan and you haven't even learned that much? Don't be an idiot.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #24
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Broncos front office wasn't calling up Turner and asking him for final clearance on who to draft. Nor would personnel decisions, should he ever make them, have much of an impact on his ability to coach. Come on man, we just came from 15 years of Mike Shanahan and you haven't even learned that much? Don't be an idiot.

Actually, there was a piece done at the time about how Turner lobbied for Mo Clarett. I think Turner has ties to Ohio State.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Actually, no. It was explicitly stated after the draft that Turner wanted Clarrett so they got him.

So catch a clue ass clown. He wanted Clarrett and it blew up in his face. He hasn't coached the "next great Broncos RB" since we shipped Portis out of town. So why exactly should we feel so damn attached to a guy who hasn't gotten the job done in nearly as many years as Shanahan?

So how about you stop being a jackass and learn what you're talking about?