The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #26
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Why wouldn't Curry now be the more important pick?

We have been looking at Rey and Spikes because of a 4-3 MLB spot, but shouldn't we be talking about the potential of Curry as a 3-4 OLB?
Because the Broncos won't get a sniff at Curry unless they trade up to about the fifth pick.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #27
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Brandon Spikes would be a good pick up for this defense. He can do it all; Rush, tackle, cover...
Gotta get Raji first though and I don't think Spikes lasts to the 2nd round.

Jasper Brinkley would be an excellent fit for the Strongside Mike.

I would love to see Clay Mathews in a Broncos uniform. The guy's motor is remarkable. Not the most physically gifted guy but through hardwork and dedication makes tons of plays. A leader and stud STer as well. I would be extremely pleased with him in the 2nd or 3rd round. He can get after the QB too.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #28
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Here's what I put in another thread that I think we need to do to improve immediately. All doable and the more I think about it, the less we need to land a guy like Suggs. I think we can get good production from the current personnel and a guy like Mathews in the draft.

The problem is that the Goodman's draft experience was based heavily on understanding what Shanny liked to do on offense. Their track record on defense isn't nearly as good. I have confidence that they can adjust, but we still are in a wait in see mode regarding the drafting of defensive personnel.

Here's a glimpse of what my offseason plan would be...

Oshiomogho Atogwe- a 6' 200# safety that plays the run well but is best described as a ball hawk. He hasn't missed a game in three years and is coming off a season with 5 INTs and 6 Forced Fumbles. He won't come cheap but he also won't command the same type contracts as an Ed Reed or Troy Palaumalo. He's only 27 so a long term contract makes sense. Something in the range of 5 years and $25m with a $5-7m bonus. Cap number of roughly $5m per year. Healthy contract, but the guy fills an immediate need...for years! Back up plan would be the oft injured Mike Brown from the Bears. When healthy he is a super talented safety.

Shaun Cody- At 6'4 and 300# he would make a perfect 3-4 end. His success while with the Lions has been moderate so I think he would come relatively cheap. It is important to get some "beef" up front if we want to use guys like WWIII and DJ Williams in the 3-4. Shaun Cody would likely come in with a contract in the range of 4 years for $12m with $3 or 4m guaranteed.
Back up option is Chris Canty. At 6'7 and 300# he is a beast (I stood within 4 or 5 feet of him at camp last year. The dude is a monster. Made Ryan Clady look like a normal sized man!), plus he as experience as a 3-4 end. He would be more expensive due to his success. Probably in the $4-5m per year range.

Terrell Suggs- An outstanding 3-4 OLB but will ask for and get big time money. He's a popular name right now and unless you have total confidence in either Moss or Dumervil playing the ROLB you bring in a guy like Suggs. Porter did great for the Dolphins D and Suggs would give us a similar boost. I figure 5 years $45m with $15-20m in guaranteed money, cap hit around $6m the first couple years and then up to $10-12m after that. Back up plans would be Karlos Dansby who is more versatile but not the same caliber pass rusher. Bart Scott's experience in the 3-4 would also be welcomed. He wouldn't come cheap, but not nearly as expensive as Suggs or Dansby... also doesn't fill the ROLB role either.

Dunta Robinson- As a rookie he showed a ton of promise and has since had several injuries that have held him back. At the very least he would come in and compete for the 3rd/Nickel Back position. His upside is high enough that he could offer us our eventual replacement for Dre Bly. B/c of his injuries, I imagine he would cost us a little less but I also suspect the Texans will try to keep him. He is a leader. 3 years $12m.

Derrick Ward- Great size for a RB would be capable of caring the load. I see Peyton Hillis having a role on this team, but I'm not sure exactly what that role is yet. What I do know is that Ward is a 230# back with homerun ability. In fact, when you watch him run he looks more like a speed back than a power back. He has a strong stiff arm, 4.5 speed, and good cutbacks. He's showed the ability to run inside and outside. He is certainly capable of 1200-1500 yard seasons. Not sure at all what kind of contract he will demand. If memory serves, Turner signed something in the neighborhood of 6 years $35m. I would expect Ward would sign something a little bit less than that, perhaps in the 4 year $20m range. He is 28 years old so a long term contract may not be our best bet. Back up plan would be Correll Buckhalter who is now 30 but has been injured so often he only has the milage of a 27 year old. I would prefer to take our chances with Hillis over him.

Charlie Batch- At the very least he can come in and win a football game if need be. He's been around a long time and understands defenses. He would be good for Cutler and provide sound insurance for injury.

Now on to the draft.

There is an obvious need here and that is a mammoth DT. BJ Raji fits that bill. Somewhat concerned with his attitude, but at the same time I don't want a "nice guy" playing in the trenches either. Just hope he doesn't turn into a Wilfork type of dirty player... but rather a Wilfork type of on field performer! IMO, he is a very similar player to Wilfork which bodes well for our 3-4 defense. We will also have to count on Marcus Thomas either adding some weight or dropping some weight and moving to the end. I think the latter is more likely considering his athleticism.

In the 2nd round I think a guy like Clay Mathews. Maybe a little early for him but this guys is a football player plain and simple. He would fit well into the 3-4 and will make his presence felt on STs and in the locker room immediately. This is the type of guy we have been going after recently. High Character, motivated, over achieving, team first mentality.

In the 3rd round a guy like Jasper Brinkley makes sense. Hard to gauge where he will end up right now. Could last until the 4th, could go in the 2nd. I'm guessing at this point he will be available in the 3rd. If DT wasn't such a big need I would go with Rey rey in the first to fit that ILB spot with a banger. Brinkley reminds a lot of people of Kirkland. Super big boy (6'2 270#) that is productive on the field. Was a 2nd team SEC player(coaches selection) which tells me all I need to know about his performance.

I would round out the draft with guys like Jordan Shipley/Quann Crosby (WR, pick one!), Max Unger/Alex Mack (C), Dorrell Scott (DT), Will Johnson (DE) and Pat White (QB/WR).

We need to trim some fat off of our roster as well. I won't guess who but I think guys like Boss Bailey, Marlon McCree, Manuel, Engleberger, and Nate Webster are on their way out
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #29
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange crusher View Post
Before you call BS, you could try a simple google search. It really isn't that difficult, but here:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08354/936233-66.stm
So yes, Farrior WAS 218.
Point taken, but I think their story is CRAP.
I actually saw him a few weeks ago (I didn't know who he was, someone pointed him out) and still say there's not a hope in hell he was that light!
I was surprised that he's about an inch or two shorter than me, ... but as a prime athlete, packed with "in-season" muscle, ... I'm still sticking with 235, though i COULD be off by 5lbs.
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #30
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
3-4 ........ First you need a monster for a Nose tackle , with out that , you are screwed , then you want some tweeners Line Backers / DE types , and then you want head hunter for one safety and a ball hawk for the other , but most of all you have to control the center and a guard ......
Terrell Suggs!!!
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #31
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Gotta get Raji first though and I don't think Spikes lasts to the 2nd round.

Jasper Brinkley would be an excellent fit for the Strongside Mike.

I would love to see Clay Mathews in a Broncos uniform. The guy's motor is remarkable. Not the most physically gifted guy but through hardwork and dedication makes tons of plays. A leader and stud STer as well. I would be extremely pleased with him in the 2nd or 3rd round. He can get after the QB too.
No denying Clay's heritage. Clay Mathews is another guy in the WWIII mold: Plays with passion and intensity until the whistle blows. He showed up Rey in the Rose Bowl, IMO. I'd like to see a team full of those kinds of guys. BTW, from what I've been reading, Raji isn't one of those guys. He's getting the major focus in the first round because he's the only game in town if you're looking for a NT. I see a big mistake for the team that drafts him high. Personally, I would never invest in a player in the first round with as many questions as there are about Raji (effort, intelligence, etc.) This draft is full of great LBs and the rebuild isn't going to be done in one season. I would hate to see the Broncos reach out of need. Just grab the best guys you can get, when you can get them.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote