The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #26
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Capers was the D-coordinator of the steelers in the mid 90's right? He had that crazy blitzing D then.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #27
yerner
Ring of Famer

I'm pretty pessimistic on Nolan changing to a 3-4. Not cause I care about the 4-3 or anything, but just because it seems like its going to be another overhaul of the entire defense. Again. Not that it doesn't need it, but I just don't want to have to wait another 3 years.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #28
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Capers was the D-coordinator of the steelers in the mid 90's right? He had that crazy blitzing D then.
yeah but that Zone blitz he came up with took offenses off guard , offenses finally caught up , but that zone blitz of his is what Steelers run now out of a 3-4
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #29
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

So in a few hours we go from hearing it's an aggressive attack style defense to more of the same read and react stuff. I can't say this pleases me.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #30
lookin' glass
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallside View Post
You think Nolan and Capers can deliver that?
No. Nolan's time in SF is a lot like the Wash/Snyder story. With Norv as OC the Niners did ok, Alex Smith looked better. When Norv left Nolan installed Jim Hostler as OC. Jim Hostler OC = Bob Slowik DC. Smith was battered due to play calling and strategy and Nolan virtually shunned him. I don't know if Alex Smith would have ever amounted to anything but Norv got a lot out of him and the Niners were viewed as 'on the rise'. Vernon Davis used to get away with stuff under Nolan until Singletary became HC put a stop to it. The same Niner team played better under Singletary than Nolan.
Is he a better DC than HC, probably but I think the Raven defensive players and their style made Nolan look better. His defenses in SF, the ones he actually built, offered little in the way innovation or adaptation. They were just a defense. Better than Slowik, yes. Is that saying much?
lookin' glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #31
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
So in a few hours we go from hearing it's an aggressive attack style defense to more of the same read and react stuff. I can't say this pleases me.
We're not sure, obviously.

I'm just stating what Nolan ran in San Francisco, and what McDaniels had running in New England. Dom Capers and Nolan have both ran "aggressive attacks" in their careers.

We will have to see. Our personnel can't run an aggressive defense as we currently have it. We'd run and fall down to every single offensive line in the league. I can honestly say, at 110% honesty... if we played 11 guys on defense vs 10 or even 9 guys on offense we'd still get ****in owned (last season).
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #32
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
We're not sure, obviously.

I'm just stating what Nolan ran in San Francisco, and what McDaniels had running in New England. Dom Capers and Nolan have both ran "aggressive attacks" in their careers.

We will have to see. Our personnel can't run an aggressive defense as we currently have it. We'd run and fall down to every single offensive line in the league. I can honestly say, at 110% honesty... if we played 11 guys on defense vs 10 or even 9 guys on offense we'd still get ****in owned (last season).
I actually see it the other way around. I think pressure defenses in almost any sport can cover up weakness in talent. Nothing is worse than watching your team get sliced and diced down the field drive after drive when they're sitting back there in a passive, prevent style zone and waiting for things to happen. If it's talent we need to run that style, then lets go find it, but God Allmighty I'm tired of watching Denver's soft, finesse style D that never hits anyone and never attacks. After reading this I really wish we were getting the dude from Philly instead.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #33
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I actually see it the other way around. I think pressure defenses in almost any sport can cover up weakness in talent. Nothing is worse than watching your team get sliced and diced down the field drive after drive when they're sitting back there in a passive, prevent style zone and waiting for things to happen. If it's talent we need to run that style, then lets go find it, but God Allmighty I'm tired of watching Denver's soft, finesse style D that never hits anyone and never attacks. After reading this I really wish we were getting the dude from Philly instead.
have you seen our D ? they would be helter skelter , A simple Iso play would be a 85 yard TD play that quick ........
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #34
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
after the 1999 season, when his defense finished at the bottom of the league, Nolan was fired.
NOOOO!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #35
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
have you seen our D ? they would be helter skelter , A simple Iso play would be a 85 yard TD play that quick ........
We've been giving that up anyway. Why not at least mix in a sack now and then just to see if maybe we can stop a drive here or there for fun? I just fear this is going to be more of the same...hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #36
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Maybe if Nolan doesn't have all of the HC tasks on his mind he can do a good job on our defense.
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #37
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Quote:
We've been giving that up anyway. Why not at least mix in a sack now and then just to see if maybe we can stop a drive here or there for fun? I just fear this is going to be more of the same...hope I'm wrong.
I'm not sure we're on the same page. Our personnel and coaching from last season... we ran ALL OUT BLITZ'S and got 0 pressure. Every single one of our players were held at the line of scrimmage more often than not. We could not generate any sort of pressure by doing all out bltiz's! It was horrific to watch. I wish I was exaggerating like a biased fan, but I'm not. It was THAT bad.

I am not joking, whether we all out blitzed or ran 3 guys, it was nearly the same the majority of the time.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #38
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

We rarely blitzed this season - rarely.

The first half against Buffalo was an exception, and it was great ... but then we stopped blitzing completely and lost.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #39
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Jae) View Post
Me 3.......

Me 400
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #40
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
if anything we ran a bend dont break D then stiffin up in the redzone , if anything we did better when our back ups were in ......... aggression and pressure dont do you any good if you cant maintain , your responsibilities
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #41
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
if anything we ran a bend dont break D then stiffin up in the redzone , if anything we did better when our back ups were in ......... aggression and pressure dont do you any good if you cant maintain , your responsibilities
It looked more like a bend AND break to me. My point is...can we get some aggressive defense going here instead of this 10 yards off the ball crap?

I really wanted that Philly D-back coach...I guess I'll reserve judgement till I see what the story is but if it's more of the same I'll be pissed.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 AM   #42
yavoon
Ring of Famer

Quote:
pressure defenses w/o talent just die fast instead of slow. fans seem to think they like that more, I have my doubts. If you look at all the good qb's in the league their ratings against the blitz tend to be astronomical.
yavoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 AM   #43
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
It looked more like a bend AND break to me. My point is...can we get some aggressive defense going here instead of this 10 yards off the ball crap?

I really wanted that Philly D-back coach...I guess I'll reserve judgement till I see what the story is but if it's more of the same I'll be pissed.
you really think that our D wanted to give 10 yard cushions?
they gave those 10 yard cushions for a reason ........if you dont have it up front , then you have to bait the QB into mistakes and to do that , you have to keep big plays to a minimum,make an offense drive , it didnt work , but it beat the hell out of any other plan ........ you work with what you got , we didnt have the personnel up front ........ and until that changes no coach is going to tighten the gap ......
Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #44
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
you really think that our D wanted to give 10 yard cushions?
they gave those 10 yard cushions for a reason ........if you dont have it up front , then you have to bait the QB into mistakes and to do that , you have to keep big plays to a minimum,make an offense drive , it didnt work , but it beat the hell out of any other plan ........ you work with what you got , we didnt have the personnel up front ........ and until that changes no coach is going to tighten the gap ......
It's not just last year. We haven't seen a truly aggresive D in this town in a long time, certainly not one that played physical lights out hitting. Regardless of scheme, we need to see that again.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:08 AM   #45
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by yavoon View Post
pressure defenses w/o talent just die fast instead of slow. fans seem to think they like that more, I have my doubts. If you look at all the good qb's in the league their ratings against the blitz tend to be astronomical.
Even the bad ones looked great against us. I hope Nolan and Capers are in the film room right now watching that horror show.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #46
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

Get me the Arizona D-backs coach...
Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 AM   #47
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Read and react=flat footed
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 AM   #48
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

First of all, it doesn't matter if it's blitz heavy, 3-4, 4-3, cover 2, whatever.

Nolan said one thing and one thing only that rules the day in the nfl:
At the same time, it's personnel and what you draft people to come in and do.

I could care less if we run a scheme called "Ostrich: Bury your head in the sand" as long as we draft and bring in the right personnel.

Both Nolan and McDaniels are known for having a good eye for talent evaluation and that's what we need RIGHT NOW.

If you go back the last ten years in this franchise we've run practically EVERY scheme in the book including the 3-4 at numerous times all full of fail because either we couldn't restock the front 7 or we didn't have those players originally to begin with.

As far as I'm concerned Capers/Nolan are just another Jim Bates experiment ready to go wrong unless the FO manages to turn around a decade of futility when it comes to bringing in real Defensive talent consistently.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 AM   #49
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

This article sounds terrible. Are we going to get slowik version 2with Nolan?
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #50
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

To the people still complaining our corners played 10 yrds off did you watch how often Pitt CB dropped way back in over coverage today? Why because they play the SS in the box a lot and when you do that you have you.

What happened in Denver was too much time for QB, and the linebackers and safety's missing tons of tackles when QB threw in front of the defense. Broncos time and time again would give up 5-7 yrds after the catch. Pitt comes up and sticks those plays for a short gain.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote