The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #26
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,023

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Capers was the D-coordinator of the steelers in the mid 90's right? He had that crazy blitzing D then.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #27
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,924
Default

I'm pretty pessimistic on Nolan changing to a 3-4. Not cause I care about the 4-3 or anything, but just because it seems like its going to be another overhaul of the entire defense. Again. Not that it doesn't need it, but I just don't want to have to wait another 3 years.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #28
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,156

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Capers was the D-coordinator of the steelers in the mid 90's right? He had that crazy blitzing D then.
yeah but that Zone blitz he came up with took offenses off guard , offenses finally caught up , but that zone blitz of his is what Steelers run now out of a 3-4
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #29
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

So in a few hours we go from hearing it's an aggressive attack style defense to more of the same read and react stuff. I can't say this pleases me.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #30
lookin' glass
Pro Bowler
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallside View Post
You think Nolan and Capers can deliver that?
No. Nolan's time in SF is a lot like the Wash/Snyder story. With Norv as OC the Niners did ok, Alex Smith looked better. When Norv left Nolan installed Jim Hostler as OC. Jim Hostler OC = Bob Slowik DC. Smith was battered due to play calling and strategy and Nolan virtually shunned him. I don't know if Alex Smith would have ever amounted to anything but Norv got a lot out of him and the Niners were viewed as 'on the rise'. Vernon Davis used to get away with stuff under Nolan until Singletary became HC put a stop to it. The same Niner team played better under Singletary than Nolan.
Is he a better DC than HC, probably but I think the Raven defensive players and their style made Nolan look better. His defenses in SF, the ones he actually built, offered little in the way innovation or adaptation. They were just a defense. Better than Slowik, yes. Is that saying much?
lookin' glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #31
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
So in a few hours we go from hearing it's an aggressive attack style defense to more of the same read and react stuff. I can't say this pleases me.
We're not sure, obviously.

I'm just stating what Nolan ran in San Francisco, and what McDaniels had running in New England. Dom Capers and Nolan have both ran "aggressive attacks" in their careers.

We will have to see. Our personnel can't run an aggressive defense as we currently have it. We'd run and fall down to every single offensive line in the league. I can honestly say, at 110% honesty... if we played 11 guys on defense vs 10 or even 9 guys on offense we'd still get ****in owned (last season).
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #32
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVPlaya View Post
We're not sure, obviously.

I'm just stating what Nolan ran in San Francisco, and what McDaniels had running in New England. Dom Capers and Nolan have both ran "aggressive attacks" in their careers.

We will have to see. Our personnel can't run an aggressive defense as we currently have it. We'd run and fall down to every single offensive line in the league. I can honestly say, at 110% honesty... if we played 11 guys on defense vs 10 or even 9 guys on offense we'd still get ****in owned (last season).
I actually see it the other way around. I think pressure defenses in almost any sport can cover up weakness in talent. Nothing is worse than watching your team get sliced and diced down the field drive after drive when they're sitting back there in a passive, prevent style zone and waiting for things to happen. If it's talent we need to run that style, then lets go find it, but God Allmighty I'm tired of watching Denver's soft, finesse style D that never hits anyone and never attacks. After reading this I really wish we were getting the dude from Philly instead.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #33
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,156

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I actually see it the other way around. I think pressure defenses in almost any sport can cover up weakness in talent. Nothing is worse than watching your team get sliced and diced down the field drive after drive when they're sitting back there in a passive, prevent style zone and waiting for things to happen. If it's talent we need to run that style, then lets go find it, but God Allmighty I'm tired of watching Denver's soft, finesse style D that never hits anyone and never attacks. After reading this I really wish we were getting the dude from Philly instead.
have you seen our D ? they would be helter skelter , A simple Iso play would be a 85 yard TD play that quick ........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #34
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
after the 1999 season, when his defense finished at the bottom of the league, Nolan was fired.
NOOOO!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #35
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
have you seen our D ? they would be helter skelter , A simple Iso play would be a 85 yard TD play that quick ........
We've been giving that up anyway. Why not at least mix in a sack now and then just to see if maybe we can stop a drive here or there for fun? I just fear this is going to be more of the same...hope I'm wrong.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #36
Anaximines
Anaximines
 
Anaximines's Avatar
 
Anaximines

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 530

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

Maybe if Nolan doesn't have all of the HC tasks on his mind he can do a good job on our defense.
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #37
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
We've been giving that up anyway. Why not at least mix in a sack now and then just to see if maybe we can stop a drive here or there for fun? I just fear this is going to be more of the same...hope I'm wrong.
I'm not sure we're on the same page. Our personnel and coaching from last season... we ran ALL OUT BLITZ'S and got 0 pressure. Every single one of our players were held at the line of scrimmage more often than not. We could not generate any sort of pressure by doing all out bltiz's! It was horrific to watch. I wish I was exaggerating like a biased fan, but I'm not. It was THAT bad.

I am not joking, whether we all out blitzed or ran 3 guys, it was nearly the same the majority of the time.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #38
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

We rarely blitzed this season - rarely.

The first half against Buffalo was an exception, and it was great ... but then we stopped blitzing completely and lost.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #39
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus
 
UberBroncoMan's Avatar
 
Wut

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,064

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Jae) View Post
Me 3.......

Me 400
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #40
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,156

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
We've been giving that up anyway. Why not at least mix in a sack now and then just to see if maybe we can stop a drive here or there for fun? I just fear this is going to be more of the same...hope I'm wrong.
if anything we ran a bend dont break D then stiffin up in the redzone , if anything we did better when our back ups were in ......... aggression and pressure dont do you any good if you cant maintain , your responsibilities
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #41
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
if anything we ran a bend dont break D then stiffin up in the redzone , if anything we did better when our back ups were in ......... aggression and pressure dont do you any good if you cant maintain , your responsibilities
It looked more like a bend AND break to me. My point is...can we get some aggressive defense going here instead of this 10 yards off the ball crap?

I really wanted that Philly D-back coach...I guess I'll reserve judgement till I see what the story is but if it's more of the same I'll be pissed.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 AM   #42
yavoon
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I actually see it the other way around. I think pressure defenses in almost any sport can cover up weakness in talent. Nothing is worse than watching your team get sliced and diced down the field drive after drive when they're sitting back there in a passive, prevent style zone and waiting for things to happen. If it's talent we need to run that style, then lets go find it, but God Allmighty I'm tired of watching Denver's soft, finesse style D that never hits anyone and never attacks. After reading this I really wish we were getting the dude from Philly instead.
pressure defenses w/o talent just die fast instead of slow. fans seem to think they like that more, I have my doubts. If you look at all the good qb's in the league their ratings against the blitz tend to be astronomical.
yavoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 AM   #43
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,156

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
It looked more like a bend AND break to me. My point is...can we get some aggressive defense going here instead of this 10 yards off the ball crap?

I really wanted that Philly D-back coach...I guess I'll reserve judgement till I see what the story is but if it's more of the same I'll be pissed.
you really think that our D wanted to give 10 yard cushions?
they gave those 10 yard cushions for a reason ........if you dont have it up front , then you have to bait the QB into mistakes and to do that , you have to keep big plays to a minimum,make an offense drive , it didnt work , but it beat the hell out of any other plan ........ you work with what you got , we didnt have the personnel up front ........ and until that changes no coach is going to tighten the gap ......
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #44
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
you really think that our D wanted to give 10 yard cushions?
they gave those 10 yard cushions for a reason ........if you dont have it up front , then you have to bait the QB into mistakes and to do that , you have to keep big plays to a minimum,make an offense drive , it didnt work , but it beat the hell out of any other plan ........ you work with what you got , we didnt have the personnel up front ........ and until that changes no coach is going to tighten the gap ......
It's not just last year. We haven't seen a truly aggresive D in this town in a long time, certainly not one that played physical lights out hitting. Regardless of scheme, we need to see that again.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:08 AM   #45
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter
 
footstepsfrom#27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 16,138

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yavoon View Post
pressure defenses w/o talent just die fast instead of slow. fans seem to think they like that more, I have my doubts. If you look at all the good qb's in the league their ratings against the blitz tend to be astronomical.
Even the bad ones looked great against us. I hope Nolan and Capers are in the film room right now watching that horror show.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #46
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,372
Default

Get me the Arizona D-backs coach...
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 AM   #47
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,807
Default

Read and react=flat footed
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:42 AM   #48
fontaine
Ring of Famer
 
fontaine's Avatar
 
Go John Manning!

Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 13,153
Default

First of all, it doesn't matter if it's blitz heavy, 3-4, 4-3, cover 2, whatever.

Nolan said one thing and one thing only that rules the day in the nfl:
At the same time, it's personnel and what you draft people to come in and do.

I could care less if we run a scheme called "Ostrich: Bury your head in the sand" as long as we draft and bring in the right personnel.

Both Nolan and McDaniels are known for having a good eye for talent evaluation and that's what we need RIGHT NOW.

If you go back the last ten years in this franchise we've run practically EVERY scheme in the book including the 3-4 at numerous times all full of fail because either we couldn't restock the front 7 or we didn't have those players originally to begin with.

As far as I'm concerned Capers/Nolan are just another Jim Bates experiment ready to go wrong unless the FO manages to turn around a decade of futility when it comes to bringing in real Defensive talent consistently.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 AM   #49
summerdenver
Ring of Famer
 
summerdenver's Avatar
 
Rebuilding both offense and defense

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,813

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default

This article sounds terrible. Are we going to get slowik version 2with Nolan?
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #50
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

To the people still complaining our corners played 10 yrds off did you watch how often Pitt CB dropped way back in over coverage today? Why because they play the SS in the box a lot and when you do that you have you.

What happened in Denver was too much time for QB, and the linebackers and safety's missing tons of tackles when QB threw in front of the defense. Broncos time and time again would give up 5-7 yrds after the catch. Pitt comes up and sticks those plays for a short gain.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Denver Broncos