The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Why we are going after a young upstart, and not some well-known "name" coach

I remember Jerry Jones saying that bigtime coaches are not worth the headache, money, or power they want after leaving a team they won a Super Bowl with. He pointed to the track record of coaches like Bill Parcells, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, George Seifert, and Dick Vermeil. All those coaches won a Super Bowl with a previous team, and every job they had after that never produced a single Super Bowl win.

The game of football is all about freshness. Young coordinators learn under the best, come up with their own twists, fool other coordinators for years, and win big with their unique brand of football. Then the rest of league copies what they do, and they become stale.

Plus, looking at the recent hires of non-big name coaches, they are doing quite well for themselves:

Ken Wisenhut Arizona
Mike Smith Atlanta
Jim Harbaugh Baltimore
Tony Sparono Miami
Eric Magnini Cleveland (wasn't terrible by any means in NY)
Brad Childress Minnesota
Lovie Smith Chicago
Mike McCartney Green Bay
Gary Kubiak Houston (.500 football team now)
Jack Del Rio (was damn good before this season)
John Fox Carolina
Marvin Lewis (team was great until Palmer went down, turned them around)
Mike Tomlin Pittsburgh

Now while there have some obvious busts like Crennel and Nolan, the majority of new coaches recently have done quite well.

And this year either Mike Tomlin, Ken Wisenhut, Jim Harbaugh, or Andy Reid (who also was a fresh hire as a coordinator) will be the Super Bowl winning coach.

Not that we are going after a big name coach, but I see why are going after someone with fresh ideas who hasn't been a coach before.

Last edited by bronco0608; 01-11-2009 at 06:13 PM..
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I havent seen many clamoring for Bill Cowher lately.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
I havent seen many clamoring for Bill Cowher lately.
Yes, I understand that. But some fans are quite upset with rumor that Bowlen only wants to pay 2 mill per for a new coach. They believe because of that, Bowlen is not going after the "best candidate."
Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Tony Soprano Miami
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. But some fans are quite upset with rumor that Bowlen only wants to pay 2 mill per for a new coach. They believe because of that, Bowlen is not going after the "best candidate."
When the COO is doing 5 hour interviews, that kind of tells you that winning isn't the only consideration.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #6
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Well theyre holding Bowlen to his own words. He said he wanted a coach who is a 10 in all categories and who will help him win a SB. This doesnt go with: Wanted--NFL coach who will work for cheap. Must be willing to pass 70% of the time.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
you know what i'm trying to say lol
Old 01-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Well theyre holding Bowlen to his own words. He said he wanted a coach who is a 10 in all categories and who will help him win a SB. This doesnt go with: Wanted--NFL coach who will work for cheap. Must be willing to pass 70% of the time.
Have you ever heard of a coordinator getting 5 mill per for his first job? Never. Spending less money is just part and parcel of hiring a new, fresh coach.

They are going to come cheap, I don't see the big deal with it.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

You only had to watch Pittsburgh today to realize that while coaching is very important, great players are more important. Most of those players Tomlin has on the team are the same guys who won the Superbowl a few years ago. He'll get credit but the players, in the end, are really who determines who wins and loses. Ultimately, I honestly believe the GM or who ever is in charge of making the choice on draft day and which FA's to sign or let go has more of an impact on a team then a HC.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
bronco0608
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
You only had to watch Pittsburgh today to realize that while coaching is very important, great players are more important. Most of those players Tomlin has on the team are the same guys who won the Superbowl a few years ago. He'll get credit but the players, in the end, are really who determines who wins and loses. Ultimately, I honestly believe the GM or who ever is in charge of making the choice on draft day and which FA's to sign or let go has more of an impact on a team then a HC.
Of course great players have a lot to do with it, but at the sametime you can have all the great players in the world and still not do diddly poo ala Dallas, Washington, Jets, and San Diego.

Coaching has a ton to do with it. And remember, Cowher's last season with the Steelers, he didn't even make the playoffs with them. Tomlin obviously brought in something fresh to make the team play for him and turn things around.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
When the COO is doing 5 hour interviews, that kind of tells you that winning isn't the only consideration.
How exactly?

Might want to attach a little logic and rationale with that vacuous statement.

Quote:
The average NFL head coach makes between $2-$3M I believe (at least the article everyone is dragging this $2M number out of stated it) so I don't see why people think its "cheap" or why the Broncos should let every coaching option know they'll start the negotiations at an above average salary.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

The energy of youth and a willingness to change are in demand in a league where this is now a year round job with high stress, so I understand the push for youth. A 32 year old guy still concerns me.

As for Bowlen's choice being based on money...I think that's absurd. He's not goint to hand the keys to his billion dollar franchise to a guy just because he comes at the same price as a middlin' free agent lineman. I think he's smarter than that.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
How exactly?

Might want to attach a little logic and rationale with that vacuous statement.
Didn't think it needed spelled out. We sent our financial guy to have a 5 and 1/2 hour meeting with McDaniels. I very much doubt they were discussing X's and O's.