The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Schefter: Ellis met with McDaniels Thursday, Frazier & Morris still in running

Denver narrows list of coaching candidates
By Adam Schefter

At this time last week, in this space, it was suggested that New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was the leading candidate for the Broncos head coaching job. The point is still valid, only now itís stronger.

Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis spent five and a half hours in Massachusetts on Thursday night, conducting a second interview with McDaniels in which he was said to be just as impressive as he was in his first meeting with a full contingent of Denver officials.

Now there is a growing concern in Foxboro, Mass., that the Patriots are on the verge of losing their offensive coordinator, the man who is in charge of the offense and helped elevate the play of quarterbacks Tom Brady and Matt Cassel.

Though Denver refuses to say anything, it clearly has McDaniels in its list of a select few finalists. The others are thought to be Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris.

But Denver has been so busy this week that is is possible, even likely, that it will make its move as early as Monday and introduce the next coach of the Broncos early this week.

The Broncos also have made it clear that, even though their defense is in disrepair, they want to hire the best head coach, even if he doesnít come from the defensive side of the football.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/10/denv...ng-candidates/
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

I just popped an ambien and a couple xanax.

I don't need restraints.

Last edited by watermock; 01-10-2009 at 12:38 PM..
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Was just going to post this. I trust Schefter more than Mort.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Ah, Spags. We never knew you.

This kinda sucks. I don't really want any of these guys. And if it's McDaniels, prepare yourself for another five years of crappy defenses.

Boy, I really had hoped that Denver could get some of that NFC East toughness in it. Guess we're going to try to win with twinkletoes offense. Of course, we've seen that Spags' defense can stop McDaniel's offense, so tell me again why we aren't hiring Spags?
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Our next head coach:

frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I was just reading this article. It sounds like McDaniel, which is ok IMO, he has experience on both sides of the ball, and broke some NFL records on the Off side of the ball. He's young but I think a good hire.

Here is some more info on him...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_McDaniels
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I would take McDaniels over Frazier if he brings in a DC like Dom Capers.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post

This kinda sucks. I don't really want any of these guys. And if it's McDaniels, prepare yourself for another five years of crappy defenses.

Boy, I really had hoped that Denver could get some of that NFC East toughness in it. Guess we're going to try to win with twinkletoes offense. Of course, we've seen that Spags' defense can stop McDaniel's offense, so tell me again why we aren't hiring Spags?
Your logic here is completely flawed. Just because we hire an offensive guy, it doesnt mean he'll ignore the defense. This isnt some role playing computer game. He could hire an experienced defensive coordinator and they could gear the draft and free agent signings towards defense. Brian Billick was an O-coordinator, yet Baltimore always had great D's. We just need a leader and a culture change. Who says McDaniels cant bring that
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
And I believe McDaniels is wise enough to follow through w/this plan...
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Your logic here is completely flawed. Just because we hire an offensive guy, it doesnt mean he'll ignore the defense. This isnt some role playing computer game. He could hire an experienced defensive coordinator and they could gear the draft and free agent signings towards defense. Brian Billick was an O-coordinator, yet Baltimore always had great D's. We just need a leader and a culture change. Who says McDaniels cant bring that
Exactly. I'm not in favor of the McDaniels hire either (I want Spags) but this "our defense is going to suck if we hire this guy" nonsense is just stupid. Our defense is going to suck no matter what we do if we don't get some players.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I'm hoping we get Romeo Crennel for DC
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I'm with you there. At first I wanted to see Spags, but I've been leaning more towards McDaniels after I read the rumor about Capers. I've been wishing that we would go back to the 3-4 for years and Capers was instrumental in putting Pittsburgh's D together. I think we have just as many needs trying to build a 4-3 as we do a 3-4 at this point. If it is down to McDaniels/ Morris/Frazier, I'm all in for McDaniels. I think Frazier has only done a so so job with the defense in MN & as far as Morris, I'm just not thrilled with someone who really hasn't been a coordinator.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
I'm hoping we get Romeo Crennel for DC
Just say no to the 3-4.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
McLuvin
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Exactly. I'm not in favor of the McDaniels hire either (I want Spags) but this "our defense is going to suck if we hire this guy" nonsense is just stupid. Our defense is going to suck no matter what we do if we don't get some players.
No our defense lacks great coaching. You bring in an offensive minded guy who cant motivate a team as a whole like a HC is suppose to do. SOmething Shanny failed @ doing.

Get ready for the hire and fire games of DC's the next couple years. Defensive minded coaches bring toughness and attitude to a team as a unit. What is the point in hiring an offensive minded coach and shanny is a offensive minded guru?? For all that we should just promote Bates to HC....I mean hes one of the young bright minds in the NFL on the offensive side of the ball.
McLuvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
McLuvin
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

And who is Dom Capers? The guy that failed in Houston?
McLuvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #16
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
yeah at HC he failed, but he would be a coordinator in this scenario
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #17
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

If McDaniels is the pick we need to get a very serious DC to pair with him...I wonder if McDaniels with Morris is a possibility.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #18
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post

you should just STFU last I checked you had a orgasim not all that long ago go cuddle on a bear rug and STFU
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #19
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Quote:
If I remember correctly, Capers was the head coach at Houston. We're talking about Capers as the defensive coordinator here, not the head coach. He's the person mostly responsible for designing Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
If McDaniels is the pick we need to get a very serious DC to pair with him...I wonder if McDaniels with Morris is a possibility.
I would weep tears of joy.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
yerner
Ring of Famer

I'm shocked. Bowlen picks the white guy.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
No our defense lacks great coaching. You bring in an offensive minded guy who cant motivate a team as a whole like a HC is suppose to do. SOmething Shanny failed @ doing.

Get ready for the hire and fire games of DC's the next couple years. Defensive minded coaches bring toughness and attitude to a team as a unit. What is the point in hiring an offensive minded coach and shanny is a offensive minded guru?? For all that we should just promote Bates to HC....I mean hes one of the young bright minds in the NFL on the offensive side of the ball.
So just because McDaniels is an offensive guy, now he's weak willed and can't motivate? Are you just making this **** up as you go along? Lets say they brought in Capers to run the D. Experienced, head coach twice, would automatically get respect. Whats your problem with that?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #23
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
No our defense lacks great coaching.
Yes, that's why you bring in a good DC and assistants. Just as one example of why your theory doesn't hold water, how was "offensive minded" Brian Billick's defense in Baltimore? Going the other direction, how is/was "defensive minded" Tony Dungy's offense in Indy?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Probably not since he's the DC in Tampa, but it is a nice thought. But I actually prefer the Jim Johnson/Steve Spagnuolo brand of D over the Tampa 2.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #25
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
yeah at HC he failed, but he would be a coordinator in this scenario
What I've been preaching the past few days. Another example of a great X's and O's coordinator failing as a HC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yes, that's why you bring in a good DC and assistants. Just as one example of why your theory doesn't hold water, how was "offensive minded" Brian Billick's defense in Baltimore? Going the other direction, how is/was "defensive minded" Tony Dungy's offense in Indy?
Thank you Tony. Thank you...
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote