The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos
Default May be... Just this is what they are waiting for tomm 1/10

If they are truly looking for Defensive minded coach and were not impressed with steve spagz interview and if they are thinking morris needs few more years to become a true head coaching prospect.... and this weekend they are planning on making there final short list or one more twist to the whole deal.. then why not it could ryan from baltimore.

May be the week when they were interviewing the 7 (frazier, morris, garret, McD, DB OC) were all out of the playoffs and NYG had a bye week. The next weekend mia lost, so they got the guy from miami. May be they are actually waiting on ryan to see if they lose tomorrow and they can bring him in for a interview. Since his team is still in playoffs and they haven't had a bye week.. they could not bring him in.

Just a thought, may be it is ryan they are waiting for. Though all the papers say we are going for offensive minded coach, retaining shannahan's offensive side of the coaching staff doesn't make sense.

If may be baltimore wins tomorrow, they will bring in tennesse's co-ordinators for a round of interview and be in waiting mode until NYG or BAL slips if those two will be the HC prospects.

Just my 2 cents.. I could be wrong, But i am thinking strongly they have ryan in mind as well.
DBBBSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
DBBBSBS
Pro Bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Team Broncos

Think of ryan coming in as HC and getting suggs and scott (Both fa's) as a package. It is a instant upgrade than what we have. And fewer holes to fill on that side.
DBBBSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

i think ryan is a tool. guy has several HOF's on defense, i'd freaking hope he is doing something right. i wants spags, screw this joker, plus his brother coaches for chokeland.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

If they wanted to interview the DC of Tennessee, they could have done it during his recent bye week like they did with Spags.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Denver needs a system guy.
Not a guy like Ryan who has been surrounded with awesome talent and could basically make any defense work.
Besides, as good as their defense has been, they always seem to give up that backbreaking drive in crunchtime.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I'm not necessarily a Ryan fan but check this out:

NO EXCUSES FOR INJURIES
Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2009, 8:36 a.m.
From Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News comes an article that should be required reading for everyone who follows the NFL.

Not enough of us consider the impact of injuries on the overall performance of a team, and on the assessment of the achievements of a given team based upon health or a lack thereof.

Case in point: The starters for the 2008 Ravens missed 64 games due to injury, the fourth highest amount in the league.

On defense, the starters were gone for 46 games.

And yet the Ravens went 11-5, made the playoffs, and beat on the road a Dolphins team that lost starters for only 25 games.

Though injuries are a fact of life in the NFL, health is a key component to the overall success of a team.

That said, the teams that can overcome injuries via depth and coaching have truly achieved something significant.

And, likewise, teams that stayed healthy but who stagnated require even greater scrutiny as to whether they’ve accumulated the wrong players, or whether they haven’t done a good job of coaching them up.

Case in point — the Patriots lost 64 starter games to injury, the same as the Ravens. Like the Ravens, the Pats won 11 and lost five.

The Jets were the healthiest team in the league, with out 12 starter games missed. But they won only nine games, triggering the termination of coach Eric Mangini.

Gosselin also looks at the relative health of the past ten Super Bowl winners. Typically, the team that’s standing at the end of the year was one of the healthiest teams for the rest of it.

The only Super Bowl champs not in the top ten were the 2004 Patriots (No. 19), the 2006 Colts (No. 23), and the 2003 Patriots, who finished dead last with 87 games lost to injury.

In each of those cases, the teams were able to overcome a rash of injuries — possibly because they didn’t wallow in self pity or make excuses.

Like the Ravens this year, the ‘03-’04 Pats and the ‘06 Colts pushed the next guy onto the field and continued to expect the same degree of performance from the sub as they did from the starter.

And maybe that’s the key to dealing with injuries. Sure, a team needs to have capable backups. But a team also can’t afford to adopt a “woe is us” attitude when, for whatever reason, they experience more injuries to starters than other teams.

In our view, using injuries as an excuse for poor performance only leads to more poor performance. It reduces the accountability of everyone in the organization — from the G.M. to the coach to the assistants to the players.

Perhaps that’s why the Broncos tanked down the stretch. Yeah, they lost a flock of running backs to injury. But this was/is an offensive system that created a revolving door of 1,000-yard rushers over the past 14 years. Instead of listening to the announcers and the writers who were willing to write off the season as an aberration, every person in the organization should have accepted the situation as the ultimate challenge.

Do injuries affect a team’s overall performance? Yes. Maybe that’s because too many teams allow injuries to affect their performance, by using injuries as the safe harbor for missed assignments, errant throws, untimely fumbles, and dropped passes.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...-for-injuries/

Here's a link to the article referenced:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.34d3911.html

Last edited by TonyR; 01-10-2009 at 08:41 AM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I like Gosselin. He brings up some good stuff, especially this one, which is a little too close to the bone for comfort. The mental aspect of competition is huge. Probably the dominant factor. And that's the business of coaching.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

We're going with the waterboy fom N.E.

Gawd I'm gonna be pissed.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

The Broncos need a motivator! Not a a defensive wizard with X's and O's to be their Head Coach. DC's who get HC'ing jobs because of their creative gameplans flame out as Head Coach's a majority of the time.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
The Broncos need a motivator! Not a a defensive wizard with X's and O's to be their Head Coach. DC's who get HC'ing jobs because of their creative gameplans flame out as Head Coach's a majority of the time.
shhhhh dont talk like that. didnt you know DC who become HC are gauranteed winners?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

No, they need someone who is sound with Xs and Os to give them direction. They currently have none on defense. Theyve spent a season and a half with gemischtes nonsense on defense.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
No, they need someone who is sound with Xs and Os to give them direction. They currently have none on defense. Theyve spent a season and a half with gemischtes nonsense on defense.
That will be the job of our new DC that our HC will bring in. Bringing in a sound X's and O's guy defensively as HC brings no guarantee you'll see defensive improvement - this is evidenced time and time again by the DC's who've failed as HC's (Dick LeBeau, Mike Nolan, Wade Phillips and Marvin Lewis to name a few).

Also, you've got look beyond this year. The new Head Coach needs to be here for the long run. We shouldn't be hiring a HC simply to be our de-facto DC in an attempt to make a quick fix. Our new HC needs to be a motivator as the Broncos inability to get up for games has been as large or more of a problem than defensive philosophy. The new HC needs to find a DC that will install great schemes. The Mike Tomlin as HC, Dick LeBeau as DC model is a perfect example here.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Exactly. I don't care if we have a Rah Rah Cheerleader guy or someone that doesn't say a word. Just bring in someone that will change this defense for the better and knows how to get the best out of our players.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBBBSBS View Post
Think of ryan coming in as HC and getting suggs and scott (Both fa's) as a package. It is a instant upgrade than what we have. And fewer holes to fill on that side.
If Bowlen was able to pull that off! Then all would be forgiven for firing Shanahan. If Ryan can't change the misfortunes and philosophy of the post Shanahan era!

Ryan is the best choice to bring the Denver defense back to the days of the "Orange Crush".
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #15
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

They have interviewed who they are interested in. Enough with the surprises coming. And Ryan is a tool who's current team wouldn't even hire him for THEIR head coaching job.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #16
driver
Pro Bowler

Second Oldest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Pure Nonsense! The Rev said something like this in another Thread I pointed out names of HOF coaches who came from the defense, They were; Landry, Shula, Parcells, and Belichek. 1 more who came from the Defense to become a HC. Lombardi thats Vincent to you kiddies.
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #17
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalBull View Post
Exactly. I don't care if we have a Rah Rah Cheerleader guy or someone that doesn't say a word. Just bring in someone that will change this defense for the better and knows how to get the best out of our players.
I agree! Also, no more Club Med training camps and letting players go home!!! This team needs to establish a boot camp atomosphere so this team will toughen up and not quit in DECEMBER!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #18
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
They have interviewed who they are interested in. Enough with the surprises coming. And Ryan is a tool who's current team wouldn't even hire him for THEIR head coaching job.
Hell, hire the tool! At least Ryan can whip Denvers defense back to respectibility.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #19
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I like Gosselin. He brings up some good stuff, especially this one, which is a little too close to the bone for comfort. The mental aspect of competition is huge. Probably the dominant factor. And that's the business of coaching.
IMHO this was more of an inditement of our lack of depth than anything else. how do you compensate for 7HBs going on IR? IMHO the O wasnt bad this year even without a starting RB for more than three games.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #20
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
Pure Nonsense! The Rev said something like this in another Thread I pointed out names of HOF coaches who came from the defense, They were; Landry, Shula, Parcells, and Belichek. 1 more who came from the Defense to become a HC. Lombardi thats Vincent to you kiddies.
I'm not saying a great DC cant become a DC. Not at all! I want a defensive-minded HC. My point was that many DC's who are hired based on their schemes fizzle out (just as they do on offense much of the time). The guys you mentioned above had the qualities to make them great Head Coaches. That's what the Broncos need to find. If coordinating a great unit made you an awesome HC, Norv Turner and Dick LeBeau would be headed to the HOF as HCs. The best HC's are guys who are leaders who motivate their teams and help compliment their empowered coordinators on both sides of the ball. My point is that we shouldn't hire Spagnuolo to run our defense but because we think he'd be the best leader of our football team.

And again, I caution everyone to look beyond 2009. Hiring a HC to be a de-facto DC in an attempt to quick fix the defense is a horrible organizational decision in the long run. Just as Pat said, he needs to hire the best HC (not OC or DC). It's possible the defense could improve just as much or more under McDaniels than it does Spagnuolo. While those coaches have backgrounds on one side of the ball, it's their coordinators who will be running those units. I simply hope Pat goes for the best HC, not the best DC or OC. The best HC is the guy who can get the most out of his team and will empower his coordinators to create gamewinning gameplans.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #21
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I'm not saying a great DC cant become a DC. Not at all! I want a defensive-minded HC. My point was that many DC's who are hired based on their schemes fizzle out (just as they do on offense much of the time). The guys you mentioned above had the qualities to make them great Head Coaches. That's what the Broncos need to find. If coordinating a great unit made you an awesome HC, Norv Turner and Dick LeBeau would be headed to the HOF as HCs. The best HC's are guys who are leaders who motivate their teams and help compliment their empowered coordinators on both sides of the ball. My point is that we shouldn't hire Spagnuolo to run our defense but because we think he'd be the best leader of our football team.

And again, I caution everyone to look beyond 2009. Hiring a HC to be a de-facto DC in an attempt to quick fix the defense is a horrible organizational decision in the long run. Just as Pat said, he needs to hire the best HC (not OC or DC). It's possible the defense could improve just as much or more under McDaniels than it does Spagnuolo. While those coaches have backgrounds on one side of the ball, it's their coordinators who will be running those units. I simply hope Pat goes for the best HC, not the best DC or OC. The best HC is the guy who can get the most out of his team and will empower his coordinators to create gamewinning gameplans.
again, dont use common sense with these morons. they dont realize a great DC as a HC is not necessarily going to do anything with the team, see: crennel, romeo; marinelli, rod; lebeau, dick

a HC is the leader of the team, not teh leader of the defense or offense. thats what a coordinator is for. it is very very likely we will have a better D under mcdaniels then we would under spags, just as much as the opposite as true. but you morons dont want to hear that, you just want to take the info you read from the denver post and make a decision on who you think is best to run this billion dollar franchise. pat is 100x more qualified then any of you to do so, just as he is qualified to see that NORV TURNER HAS FAR MORE PLAYOFF WINS THEN SHANAHAN OVER LAST 10 YEARS, and that is not acceptable.

let pat do his job and pick the best person qualified for this job. just because spagz is a great DC doesnt mean he came off to anybody as teh best HC or leader of a whole team. which is what we need, as he is not coming here as the DC.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #22
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Pointless over-emphasis on misleading stats. The "number of starts missed" is truly misleading, as half or more starters are just average players.

Nate Webster, Marlon McRee, Boss Bailey ... that's 30-35 lost starts right there. See?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #23
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
That will be the job of our new DC that our HC will bring in. Bringing in a sound X's and O's guy defensively as HC brings no guarantee you'll see defensive improvement - this is evidenced time and time again by the DC's who've failed as HC's (Dick LeBeau, Mike Nolan, Wade Phillips and Marvin Lewis to name a few).

Also, you've got look beyond this year. The new Head Coach needs to be here for the long run. We shouldn't be hiring a HC simply to be our de-facto DC in an attempt to make a quick fix. Our new HC needs to be a motivator as the Broncos inability to get up for games has been as large or more of a problem than defensive philosophy. The new HC needs to find a DC that will install great schemes. The Mike Tomlin as HC, Dick LeBeau as DC model is a perfect example here.
No, they need someone to give the team direction defensively and then he can find the guy who can implement that vision...not some motivational speaker with little to no demonstrated acumen.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #24
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
a HC is the leader of the team, not teh leader of the defense or offense. thats what a coordinator is for.
WTF? That's what cheerleaders are for. Do you know what a coach is? He coaches, period. Or else, he won't know who or how to delegate authority.

Frankly, this thing is turning into a circus, and I am even more convinced that Shanny's refusal to fire Slowick came ass a surprise to Bowlen, and he kneejerked.

The fact we have our offensive personell and staff on offense makes this a simple hire. Except:

We can't just promote Dennison, Spags has to make an up tic.

Spags is the logical choice.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBBBSBS View Post
How would you organize the roster with those two?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote