The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
DemonEagles
Seasoned Veteran
 
DemonEagles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 430
Default Shanahan fired as Broncos coach

Atchison Ks Over the past few years, Mike Shanahan, the vice president of football operations, didn't do Mike Shanahan, the coach, any favors.

In the end, both got served .

The Denver Broncos parted ways with Shanahan on Tuesday following a late-season fizzle that knocked the team out of the postseason for a 3rd straight season.

The collapse was complete with a 52-21 debacle at San Diego, with the Chargers rallying for the AFC West crown as Denver became the first team since divisional play started in 1967 to blow a three-game lead with three games left.

A dreadful defense one built by Shanahan, the personnel man was mostly to blame.

"After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos," said owner Pat Bowlen, whose team finished 8-8.

Shanahan had a good run in Denver, leading the Broncos to two Super Bowl victories behind the legs of Terrell Davis and the arm of John Elway.

But life without Elway wasn't all that rosy; the Broncos have won only one playoff game since No. 7 retired after the second championship.

Over the past 10 years, Shanahan burned through three quarterbacks, five defensive coordinators 4 calling birds and untold millions of dollars trying to get the Broncos back to the top. It didn't work.

The latest, most serious problem was the defense. Coordinator Bob Slowik attempted a different scheme seemingly every week 3-4, 4-3, blitzes, zones, etc. but the lack of talent was something no coach or scheme could overcome. Denver finished 29th in overall defense and last, at minus-17, in turnover margin.

It was Shanahan, in charge of every aspect of the Broncos, who put together the defense. This year, in his latest attempt to fix things, he brought in Boss Bailey, Niko Koutouvides and Dewayne Robertson in the offseason. But Bailey got hurt, Koutouvides couldn't get on the field even with injuries at linebacker and Robertson wasn't much help on the defensive line.

The team also said goodbye to John Lynch in training camp but free agents Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree weren't the solutions at safety. Cornerback Champ Bailey had his worst season ever, missing almost two months after tearing a groin at New England in October and never regaining his All-Pro form.

"I'm part of the defense that didn't play well," defensive lineman Ebenezer Ekuban said. "You feel a little like it's your fault for what happened."

The 2008 Broncos also had a slew of injuries in the backfield seven were placed on injured reserve.

But churning out tailbacks has never been Shanahan's problem. Davis, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell were all unheralded. All ran for 1,000 yards for the Broncos, leading to the notion that anyone could gain yardage in Shanahan's system.

Given all the ailments, some of the Broncos figured he'd get a pass for this season.

Didn't happen.

Shanahan and Bowlen were scheduled to hold news conferences Wednesday. Shanahan had three years left on his contract, worth about $20 million.

"The Broncos have had so much success under his tenure, you felt like he had it until he wanted to stop," said Spencer Larsen, a rookie fullback and linebacker. "I thought he was tremendous. Great person. He was always true to his word. He had a very good handle on the whole organization."

Shanahan went 146-91 in 14 seasons with Denver, including the playoffs. However, he was a pedestrian 24-24 over the last three seasons.

The new coach coming in will have pieces to work with the offense is fully loaded. With Pro Bowlers Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, rookie wideout Eddie Royal and a young offensive line, the Broncos finished with the second-best offense in the league.

It's that defense that needs work. The Broncos gave up 448 points this season, third-worst in the NFL.

Defensive deficiencies aside, Ekuban thinks the team is on the right path.

"Whoever comes in is going to have a well-stocked team that should be ready to go," said Ekuban, a pending free agent who hopes to be back. "As any year, some things are going to change. But I wouldn't touch that offense ... They did a tremendous job. Wish we could've helped."

The ousting of Shanahan came as a shock in Denver.

Bowlen has remained fiercely loyal to Shanahan over the years, viewing him as a coach who constantly redefined his operation to keep up with the ever-evolving league.

So entrenched was Shanahan, he's building a 35,000-square-foot house in a posh part of Denver, the mansion complete with a bowling alley and racquetball court.

Now he's out of a job at least temporarily.

Shanahan went on the air last summer to declare Denver would make the playoffs in 2008, a brash prediction from the calculating coach.

It backfired.
DemonEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,630

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

holy **** he was fired!?!?!?!
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
DemonEagles
Seasoned Veteran
 
DemonEagles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 430
Default

sry if it is a repost


"People from the south like to say "that dog won't hunt" I am afraid to tell them that the dog is infact, dead -Hellen Keller"
DemonEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Link
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
DemonEagles
Seasoned Veteran
 
DemonEagles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 430
Default

the link is when you go to yahoo sports and type in mike fired

When you are looking for meximelt, sometimes you find nacho's -robert frost
DemonEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
PRBronco
Ring of Famer
 
PRBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,215

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth
Default

What the **** is going on in here?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer
 
Hook'em Horns

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,415

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

100 post rule! Justified once again.....
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

I aint buying this until I see proof
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
broncofan7
Ring of Famer
 
broncofan7's Avatar
 
BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BIG D
Posts: 6,006
Default

I like pie.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,782

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Taco is going to lose his mind when he hears this.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 52,913

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Dude's got 96 posts in five years.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,401

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

I'm a little disappointed in Demon Eagles. This is WAY below your caliber. I opened the thread expecting some mood-lightening photos and all I get are ****ty quotes.

"Don't eat Mexican before your prostate exam"-Thomas Jefferson, Aug 11th, 1784

"Oops. I should've listened to Thomas Jefferson" Ben Franklin, Aug 12th 1784
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,340
Default

http://cbs4denver.com/local/shanahan....2.897334.html

In case anybody really gives a shat about a link.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil
 
Dagmar's Avatar
 
..there's just God when he's drunk.

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Morrison
Posts: 16,975

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Is there going to be a press conference? I bet he tears Pat a new one.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,970

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 52,913

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Why doesn't Pat interview Foneco?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert
 
Hotrod's Avatar
 
aka Dortoh

Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 25,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I
Default

Someone should start a thread about possible new coach interviews and such.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #18
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,782

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortoh View Post
Someone should start a thread about possible new coach interviews and such.
I hope it's Cowher!
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
DemonEagles
Seasoned Veteran
 
DemonEagles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 430
Default

hopefully the editorial I posted provides an interesting slant on the firing
Attached Images
 
DemonEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #20
DemonEagles
Seasoned Veteran
 
DemonEagles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 430
Default stuff

mstufferson
Attached Images
 
DemonEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,970

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonEagles View Post
hopefully the editorial I posted provides an interesting slant on the firing
What "interesting slant" do you speak of? Aside from perhaps the EE quotes, which were hardly mind-blowing, it's nothing we haven't read 1,000 times already.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #22
HEAV
Ring of Famer
 
HEAV's Avatar
 
It's about the Team

Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Ville
Posts: 12,058

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

WOW! Right before NewYears and all!
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #23
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 
No avatar is the new avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,495

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy
Default

I heard it was because he would not fire slowik.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #24
DemonEagles
Seasoned Veteran
 
DemonEagles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
What "interesting slant" do you speak of? Aside from perhaps the EE quotes, which were hardly mind-blowing, it's nothing we haven't read 1,000 times already.

well I will bold the ones I thought were good
Atchison Ks Over the past few years, Mike Shanahan, the vice president of football operations, didn't do Mike Shanahan, the coach, any favors.

In the end, both got served .

The Denver Broncos parted ways with Shanahan on Tuesday following a late-season fizzle that knocked the team out of the postseason for a 3rd straight season.

The collapse was complete with a 52-21 debacle at San Diego, with the Chargers rallying for the AFC West crown as Denver became the first team since divisional play started in 1967 to blow a three-game lead with three games left.

A dreadful defense one built by Shanahan, the personnel man was mostly to blame.

"After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos," said owner Pat Bowlen, whose team finished 8-8.

Shanahan had a good run in Denver, leading the Broncos to two Super Bowl victories behind the legs of Terrell Davis and the arm of John Elway.

But life without Elway wasn't all that rosy; the Broncos have won only one playoff game since No. 7 retired after the second championship.

Over the past 10 years, Shanahan burned through three quarterbacks, five defensive coordinators 4 calling birds and untold millions of dollars trying to get the Broncos back to the top. It didn't work.

The latest, most serious problem was the defense. Coordinator Bob Slowik attempted a different scheme seemingly every week 3-4, 4-3, blitzes, zones, etc. but the lack of talent was something no coach or scheme could overcome. Denver finished 29th in overall defense and last, at minus-17, in turnover margin.

It was Shanahan, in charge of every aspect of the Broncos, who put together the defense. This year, in his latest attempt to fix things, he brought in Boss Bailey, Niko Koutouvides and Dewayne Robertson in the offseason. But Bailey got hurt, Koutouvides couldn't get on the field even with injuries at linebacker and Robertson wasn't much help on the defensive line.

The team also said goodbye to John Lynch in training camp but free agents Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree weren't the solutions at safety. Cornerback Champ Bailey had his worst season ever, missing almost two months after tearing a groin at New England in October and never regaining his All-Pro form.

"I'm part of the defense that didn't play well," defensive lineman Ebenezer Ekuban said. "You feel a little like it's your fault for what happened."

The 2008 Broncos also had a slew of injuries in the backfield seven were placed on injured reserve.

But churning out tailbacks has never been Shanahan's problem. Davis, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell were all unheralded. All ran for 1,000 yards for the Broncos, leading to the notion that anyone could gain yardage in Shanahan's system.

Given all the ailments, some of the Broncos figured he'd get a pass for this season.

Didn't happen.

Shanahan and Bowlen were scheduled to hold news conferences Wednesday. Shanahan had three years left on his contract, worth about $20 million.

"The Broncos have had so much success under his tenure, you felt like he had it until he wanted to stop," said Spencer Larsen, a rookie fullback and linebacker. "I thought he was tremendous. Great person. He was always true to his word. He had a very good handle on the whole organization."

Shanahan went 146-91 in 14 seasons with Denver, including the playoffs. However, he was a pedestrian 24-24 over the last three seasons.

The new coach coming in will have pieces to work with the offense is fully loaded. With Pro Bowlers Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, rookie wideout Eddie Royal and a young offensive line, the Broncos finished with the second-best offense in the league.

It's that defense that needs work. The Broncos gave up 448 points this season, third-worst in the NFL.

Defensive deficiencies aside, Ekuban thinks the team is on the right path.

"Whoever comes in is going to have a well-stocked team that should be ready to go," said Ekuban, a pending free agent who hopes to be back. "As any year, some things are going to change. But I wouldn't touch that offense ... They did a tremendous job. Wish we could've helped."

The ousting of Shanahan came as a shock in Denver.

Bowlen has remained fiercely loyal to Shanahan over the years, viewing him as a coach who constantly redefined his operation to keep up with the ever-evolving league.

So entrenched was Shanahan, he's building a 35,000-square-foot house in a posh part of Denver, the mansion complete with a bowling alley and racquetball court.

Now he's out of a job at least temporarily.

Shanahan went on the air last summer to declare Denver would make the playoffs in 2008, a brash prediction from the calculating coach.

It backfired.
DemonEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #25
bowtown
Ring of Famer
 
bowtown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,782

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonEagles View Post
well I will bold the ones I thought were good
Atchison Ks Over the past few years, Mike Shanahan, the vice president of football operations, didn't do Mike Shanahan, the coach, any favors.

In the end, both got served .

The Denver Broncos parted ways with Shanahan on Tuesday following a late-season fizzle that knocked the team out of the postseason for a 3rd straight season.

The collapse was complete with a 52-21 debacle at San Diego, with the Chargers rallying for the AFC West crown as Denver became the first team since divisional play started in 1967 to blow a three-game lead with three games left.

A dreadful defense one built by Shanahan, the personnel man was mostly to blame.

"After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos," said owner Pat Bowlen, whose team finished 8-8.

Shanahan had a good run in Denver, leading the Broncos to two Super Bowl victories behind the legs of Terrell Davis and the arm of John Elway.

But life without Elway wasn't all that rosy; the Broncos have won only one playoff game since No. 7 retired after the second championship.

Over the past 10 years, Shanahan burned through three quarterbacks, five defensive coordinators 4 calling birds and untold millions of dollars trying to get the Broncos back to the top. It didn't work.

The latest, most serious problem was the defense. Coordinator Bob Slowik attempted a different scheme seemingly every week 3-4, 4-3, blitzes, zones, etc. but the lack of talent was something no coach or scheme could overcome. Denver finished 29th in overall defense and last, at minus-17, in turnover margin.

It was Shanahan, in charge of every aspect of the Broncos, who put together the defense. This year, in his latest attempt to fix things, he brought in Boss Bailey, Niko Koutouvides and Dewayne Robertson in the offseason. But Bailey got hurt, Koutouvides couldn't get on the field even with injuries at linebacker and Robertson wasn't much help on the defensive line.

The team also said goodbye to John Lynch in training camp but free agents Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree weren't the solutions at safety. Cornerback Champ Bailey had his worst season ever, missing almost two months after tearing a groin at New England in October and never regaining his All-Pro form.

"I'm part of the defense that didn't play well," defensive lineman Ebenezer Ekuban said. "You feel a little like it's your fault for what happened."

The 2008 Broncos also had a slew of injuries in the backfield seven were placed on injured reserve.

But churning out tailbacks has never been Shanahan's problem. Davis, Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns and Tatum Bell were all unheralded. All ran for 1,000 yards for the Broncos, leading to the notion that anyone could gain yardage in Shanahan's system.

Given all the ailments, some of the Broncos figured he'd get a pass for this season.

Didn't happen.

Shanahan and Bowlen were scheduled to hold news conferences Wednesday. Shanahan had three years left on his contract, worth about $20 million.

"The Broncos have had so much success under his tenure, you felt like he had it until he wanted to stop," said Spencer Larsen, a rookie fullback and linebacker. "I thought he was tremendous. Great person. He was always true to his word. He had a very good handle on the whole organization."

Shanahan went 146-91 in 14 seasons with Denver, including the playoffs. However, he was a pedestrian 24-24 over the last three seasons.

The new coach coming in will have pieces to work with the offense is fully loaded. With Pro Bowlers Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, rookie wideout Eddie Royal and a young offensive line, the Broncos finished with the second-best offense in the league.

It's that defense that needs work. The Broncos gave up 448 points this season, third-worst in the NFL.

Defensive deficiencies aside, Ekuban thinks the team is on the right path.

"Whoever comes in is going to have a well-stocked team that should be ready to go," said Ekuban, a pending free agent who hopes to be back. "As any year, some things are going to change. But I wouldn't touch that offense ... They did a tremendous job. Wish we could've helped."

The ousting of Shanahan came as a shock in Denver.

Bowlen has remained fiercely loyal to Shanahan over the years, viewing him as a coach who constantly redefined his operation to keep up with the ever-evolving league.

So entrenched was Shanahan, he's building a 35,000-square-foot house in a posh part of Denver, the mansion complete with a bowling alley and racquetball court.

Now he's out of a job at least temporarily.

Shanahan went on the air last summer to declare Denver would make the playoffs in 2008, a brash prediction from the calculating coach.

It backfired.

Outstanding. I hope to God you did that on purpose.


More pics please.

Last edited by bowtown; 01-06-2009 at 10:37 AM..
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Denver Broncos