The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: All things considered, how far off is this team from being a Superbowl contender?
1 year 17 9.88%
2 years 78 45.35%
3 years 49 28.49%
4 years 11 6.40%
5 or more years 17 9.88%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Given our current situation, how far is this team from a Superbowl.

Simple, straightforward question.

I believe that we have a team that is about 3 years off from a Superbowl. I figured this offseason, we'd shore up the defense, improve to the mid-to-higher teens in the rankings (with a playoff birth), spend another another year working on the defense and plugging any holes that develop on offense. The following year - a deep playoff run, with the sky being the limit from there.

Perhaps this is faulty. I'm curious how far off people see this team, given the talent and current situation.
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Rome wasn't built in a day and completely revamping this team won't happen instantly either, imho. It's gonna take time to acquire the necessary talent and for all the players to learn a new offensive and defensive system and to "gel" as a team (find their new "identity" if you will). Hopefully I'm wrong, but a season or two in the AFC West cellar wouldn't surprise me.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
GarretBarnes
Blogger: Bronco Madness

Come Back John Lynch PLEASE!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elvis Dumervil

i would have said one year had mike shanahan not been fired but for now it looks like 3.
GarretBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Assuming we make right hires we will be a play off contender in 2 years and sb in 3.
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

It really depends on who becomes GM, HC, assistants and how well the drafts go, but I am down for the 3 year plan.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Rome wasn't built in a day and completely revamping this team won't happen instantly either, imho. It's gonna take time to acquire the necessary talent and for all the players to learn a new offensive and defensive system and to "gel" as a team (find their new "identity" if you will). Hopefully I'm wrong, but a season or two in the AFC West cellar wouldn't surprise me.

We don't need a complete revamping though. Whatever anyone wants to say about Mike's record over the last ten years, he's put this organization in a great position to succeed. We've got a great offensive unit right now, with a lot of continuity built-in by way of their contracts. All we really need right now is a major effort on defense. The question really amounts to how long people think it will take to build the defense.

(note: I figure special teams to be built into the equation - as special teams is only as good as your depth and coaching)
Taco John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I have no faith in this team making a Super Bowl run anytime soon.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

All depends on the new head coach, specifically what happens on offense. If some of the current offensive staff is kept, and the current scheme is kept, then presumably the offense should be even better next year. So, they are ready to win now.

The only way the offensive staff stays in place is if we get a defensive minded head coach, or hire a current defensive coordinator. Based on this:

We need to upgrade 5-6 positions on defense, some of which should be able to be filled internally (such as possibly Barret at safety).

Via the draft or FA, we need to upgrade: MLB, SLB, FS, SS, DE, DE?

So, as to how far away we are, it depends on how long it takes to fill those five or six holes. If we pick up a stud DE in free agency, that could allow Dumervil and other in house DE's to rotate at the other end spot. Then, depending on how we address the LB spots (what role does Woodyard or Larsen have for instance), we likely need at least one LB, probably an MLB and a safety.

If we draft a stud, ready to play now MLB, and a safety, then we have the 'potential' to make a large leap (middle of the pack) on defense next year.

As to how long? You can't really answer that question, because when you start talking three years out, that is a lifetime in the NFL. What I mean is that in three years, we could be looking at another head coach, might not have Marshall (if we can't resign him), etc. There are simply too many variables in the NFL to look three years out, so the question is can we compete next year or the year after.

Fill those 5 holes on defense, with at least 3 people that aren't currently on the team, and we have an outside chance of being SB ready next year, but could very well be a SB contender in 2010. Beyond that, flip a coin.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyway you look at it, Cutler will be learning a new Offensive system so the question that should be asked will the Broncos go to the SB before Cutlers current contract runs out or at the end of Cutlers contract how close are the Broncos from going to the super bowl.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Well most will say without Mike the team is 5 years away. But if Bowlen focuses on Defense and gets that retooled this team can be there much sooner. Shanahan layed the ground work on Offense now just fix the defense.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:20 PM   #11
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretBarnes View Post
i would have said one year had mike shanahan not been fired but for now it looks like 3.

So you reckon he was gonna figure out the defense in one draft/FA when he couldn't do it in the 3 years he already wasted on rebuilding that core
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
We don't need a complete revamping though. Whatever anyone wants to say about Mike's record over the last ten years, he's put this organization in a great position to succeed. We've got a great offensive unit right now, with a lot of continuity built-in by way of their contracts. All we really need right now is a major effort on defense. The question really amounts to how long people think it will take to build the defense.

(note: I figure special teams to be built into the equation - as special teams is only as good as your depth and coaching)
A lot depends on the new HC and whatever assistant coaches/staff he chooses... from today's perspective (without that information) it's hard to make an educated guess as to which (if any) of Shanahan's coaches would be retained, so I was going with the presumption that the new coach will bring in all his own guys and a totally new offensive and defensive scheme...

With changes this broad and sweeping, I don't see instantaneous improvement... or playoffs next year... as likely. I think we'll have at least two "rebuilding" years...
Old 12-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I am actually going with one. Unlike some I think this team is closer then people think.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

This is obviously a set-up poll for later use on Taco's part.

I'll guess 2 for fun, but I may as well guess how many inches of rain we'll get next month.

How can we possibly make that prediction without a new head coach/DC assigned?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:

TJ his total blindness as to the real problem cost him another Superbowl in Denver and his job eventually. A premier DT or in reality a real NT. Instead he pumped draft picks and free agency/trade $$ into CB's, LB's and DE. The one DT he thought was for real pulled the wool over his eyes bigtime and cost the franchise another $12m for little return.

One Premier DT/NT in my opinion gives this team a playoff berth in one season. You cant run a system that expects the LB's to make all the plays, no other team in the league does that bar some 3-4 defenses and they still have better front 3's than the front 4's we've run over the last 3 years.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:28 PM   #16
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I am actually going with one. Unlike some I think this team is closer then people think.
I might have agreed with you... if Shanahan had been retained.... and Slowik fired.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #17
kmonty
BT Blogger

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sweet Feet

Who knows, but with even an average defense and guys that want to win, I think this team can compete with anyone.
kmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:42 PM   #18
Borks147
the dude abides...

I see a similar situation where Dungy left Tampa because he had grown stale and new blood (Gruden) won them a superbowl the first year with the old team.

yes, I'm optimistic by nature.
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:45 PM   #19
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
I might have agreed with you... if Shanahan had been retained.... and Slowik fired.
This is why I think it closer then people think

1. I think Bowlen and Goodman will ensure that Bates/Turner/Dennison/WR coach be retained. The playbook will shift a little but the still be the ZBS and power game team that we need to be successful. (there is already a statement on the official site the individual coaches will be review and retained as appropriate)
2. We will see a healthy Champ, DJ and Boss next year.
3. I think actually see defense system that put in place that all the players can understand and properly used in.
4. Denver has 31 million in cap room to get NT that to allows Thomas and Robinson to go back to the UT mode which they are better suited for. Improving the run defense is key to turning the defense around.
5. We have 10 draft picks and Goodman have shown a good eye for selecting talent
6. The draft is deep in three position for us - Safety, OC/OC and LB.
7. I think we able to find right rb in the draft to improve the red zone production. Plus we haveTorain, Young and Hillis coming back healthy next year.
8. Cutler is ready to explode next season. And really good QB has ability to carry a team to great heights.
9. Getting some heathly starters back allows Larson, Woodyard to focus on ST coverage. Both those guys are going to be key taking the next step.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #20
Ace7
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:

I believe that we have a team that is about 3 years off from a Superbowl. I figured this offseason, we'd shore up the defense, improve to the mid-to-higher teens in the rankings (with a playoff birth), spend another another year working on the defense and plugging any holes that develop on offense. The following year - a deep playoff run, with the sky being the limit from there.
Except its not so 'simple and straightforward' is it? Its harder to predict the future than it is to judge the past. And we don't even know who the coach(es) will be yet. So it seems rather a strange time to be posing the question.

Be that as it may, and just so I'm clear, you are saying that this team under Sahanahan would have won a SB within 3 years? Is that what you are saying?

Of course, we'll never know that because Shanny is now gone. But my gut feeling, based on the prior 10 years, is that we wouldn't have.

We almost certainly wouldn't have won it next season with the state of the defense and with the schedule we have. So that narrows it down to a window of two years...the 2nd and 3rd years.

Last edited by Ace7; 12-31-2008 at 05:21 PM..
Ace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #21
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
This is why I think it closer then people think

1. I think Bowlen and Goodman will ensure that Bates/Turner/Dennison/WR coach be retained. The playbook will shift a little but the still be the ZBS and power game team that we need to be successful. (there is already a statement on the official site the individual coaches will be review and retained as appropriate)
2. We will see a healthy Champ, DJ and Boss next year.
3. I think actually see defense system that put in place that all the players can understand and properly used in.
4. Denver has 31 million in cap room to get NT that to allows Thomas and Robinson to go back to the UT mode which they are better suited for. Improving the run defense is key to turning the defense around.
5. We have 10 draft picks and Goodman have shown a good eye for selecting talent
6. The draft is deep in three position for us - Safety, OC/OC and LB.
7. I think we able to find right rb in the draft to improve the red zone production. Plus we haveTorain, Young and Hillis coming back healthy next year.
8. Cutler is ready to explode next season. And really good QB has ability to carry a team to great heights.
9. Getting some heathly starters back allows Larson, Woodyard to focus on ST coverage. Both those guys are going to be key taking the next step.
Good thoughts.... but...

1. What if Shanahan gets a new HC gig and offers these guys jobs... and perhaps more $$ to go with him instead of staying on in Denver?
2. These guys should start the season healthy, but for how long? Injuries have been incredible in recent years and Boss, in particular, is very much injury-prone.
3. This new defensive scheme would have to be learned... and also include new talent at quite a few positions. It might not "gel" immediately even if it ultimately was successful.
4. Some semblance of a pass rush would also be nice. Even a marginal QB can look like Peyton Manning if he's allowed to sit comfortably in the pocket.
5. I'm very impressed with this year's draft and if they can keep making shrewd choices, yes, we could improve dramatically via the draft.
6. This is good because those are all areas of need this year.
7. If a couple of our RBs can come back healthy and 100%, we really shouldn't have to address RB... unless the coaches are looking for a PS prospect for the future.
8. Yes, Cutler is progressing nicely... sometimes he tries too hard to "make something happen" but more experience is what he needs most.
9. It would be very nice if the "injury bug" would relent just a bit... the RB injuries were inconceivable.

I still think the key to how long it's gonna be is exactly how much change the new HC brings... a lot of changes in schemes most likely will = more time to adjust to the changes and execute the way the coach wants and needs them to.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Good thoughts.... but...

1. What if Shanahan gets a new HC gig and offers these guys jobs... and perhaps more $$ to go with him instead of staying on in Denver? They are still under contract with Denver. 2. These guys should start the season healthy, but for how long? Injuries have been incredible in recent years and Boss, in particular, is very much injury-prone. We will add depth thru FA and draft, plus we have experience Larson and Woodyard now
3. This new defensive scheme would have to be learned... and also include new talent at quite a few positions. It might not "gel" immediately even if it ultimately was successful. It just needs to be improve as the season goes along, the offense is good enough to carry the team early
4. Some semblance of a pass rush would also be nice. Even a marginal QB can look like Peyton Manning if he's allowed to sit comfortably in the pocket.
Stopping the run on first down allows the defense to elimate other plays and we will get a better pass rush. To often this year team were 3rd and short and our defense had to watch for everything vs. just playing the pass. Med has excellent post about in the draft section.
5. I'm very impressed with this year's draft and if they can keep making shrewd choices, yes, we could improve dramatically via the draft.
6. This is good because those are all areas of need this year.
7. If a couple of our RBs can come back healthy and 100%, we really shouldn't have to address RB... unless the coaches are looking for a PS prospect for the future. I think will add another one via the draft

8. Yes, Cutler is progressing nicely... sometimes he tries too hard to "make something happen" but more experience is what he needs most.
A healthy running game will improve his completion rate and give us access to PA that missing this year.
9. It would be very nice if the "injury bug" would relent just a bit... the RB injuries were inconceivable.
Can not control this at all, we just hope and build depth.
I still think the key to how long it's gonna be is exactly how much change the new HC brings... a lot of changes in schemes most likely will = more time to adjust to the changes and execute the way the coach wants and needs them to. It football not rocket science, scheme and termalogy change all the time and the players can learn faster then you think.
Anwers in red
Old 12-31-2008, 05:19 PM   #23
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
Anwers in red
It doesn't matter if they are under contract in Denver, as long as they get a promotion when hired away. If a QB coach is offered an OC job, then he is allowed out of his contract. If an OC is offered an assistant head coach job, he is allowed out of his contract.

The only thing they can't do is make lateral moves. An OC, for instance, while under contract, can't simply move to another team to become an OC.

Beyond that, someone said that there is a statement on the Broncos site that reiterated what Bowlen said, which is that they don't expect to keep any coaches, but each will be evaluated individually, but they are free to find jobs elsewhere. I haven't confirmed this myself, but someone posted that this statement was released by the Broncos.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:19 PM   #24
Meck77

We all speak as if the entire league remains constant while we plug our holes on the Dline, safety etc. Meanwhile 31 other teams are busting their humps trying to make improvements. The next LT could be waiting in the wings for the Patriots. The next Manning could be in this years draft and turn a franchise around ala Steelers style. My answer is it's impossible to tell but I'll bet the farm our Defense improves over the next two years and the BLOWOUTS slow down.

I laugh at the people who say we were on the rise. Maybe the offense was but this team was getting their asses kicked up and down the field the last two years. For crying out loud Shanny admitted he failed last year at 7-9.

Stop crying in the forum. So far the trolls have been kind but they'll be around to take their shots at some of these embarrassing posts soon enough.

After hanging out with some charger fans today I'm relieved shanny is gone. The weak ass chargers have owned us over the last few years. We all talk smak about how much they suck but they dominated us and kicked our freakin teeth in.

I seriously doubt we'll miss the playoffs for another 3 years. Shanny was soft on this team.

If I ever cross paths with Pat Bowlen in the lobby of a hotel again I'm buying that man a drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Meck77; 12-31-2008 at 05:27 PM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:25 PM   #25
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:

Perhaps this is faulty. I'm curious how far off people see this team, given the talent and current situation.
I think that's reasonable but I think we can see a fairly quick defensive change with a new HC and some new player personnel. The offense's time is now. If next year's schedule wasn't so brutal I would bet on a deep playoff run then. I still think we can win the West next year but it will take a little time for this thing to click. 2010 and we'll be in the SuperBowl provided we get either a Defensive minded HC or a great Defensive Coordinator.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote