The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
bronco0608
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default On Cutler: Enforcement of the DB touching/chucking rule has made avg QBs Superstars

If you look at the statistics of the QBs since the NFL made it a point of emphasis to prevent CBs from touching/pushing/chucking WRs after 5 yards you will see a noticable trend of QBs with exploding statistics.

We have seen every individual passing record broken, with Manning getting the tds mark, Brady with passing yards (I think) and so forth.

Is it even that big of deal for a healthy QB to get 3,000 yards in a season anymore? Absolutely not.

QBs stats are inflated and skewed now.

Back in the day, it took the Troy Aikmans, John Elways, and Brett Favres a couple of seasons to adjust to the NFL. Now? You got guys like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco stepping right in and producing seasons that coaches would have killed for from their veteran QBs in the late 80s and early 90s.

So if you think about it, Jay Cutler would have thrown about 30 interceptions this year if the CBs were allowed to bully WRs down the field since he likes to take "chances" and fit the ball into tight spaces. Would Jay even be playing 15 years ago? Probably not, because he would have turned the ball over too much. He would have been the cannon arm kid with the two cents head. And how many potential ints did Cutler have this year had the DB simply not dropped the pass directly too him? It's staggering. Cutler threw the 2nd most ints this year. That's terrible.

To me, Cutler has been disappointing simply because of his decision making. He really makes dumb mistakes on the field ala Plummer. Four red zone ints? You know how deflating that is to a team?

Cutler is no smarter than Plummer. Because of the emphasis on the passing rules, QBs like Cutler are now "superstars" when in fact they are simply benefactors of rules that make it nearly impossible for a WR NOT TO BE OPEN.

If Culter doesn't change, Shanahan is going to have to start managing the game with him like he did with Plummer.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,516

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

This team has problems. Those who think Cutler is one of them are retarded.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer
 
Steve Prefontaine's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,403

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
This team has problems. Those who think Cutler is one of them are retarded.
QFT
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer
 
Peoples Champ's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,490

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

I Blame Peyton Manning.

Offense sells tickets/jerseys, Defense wins championships.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
bronco0608
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
This team has problems. Those who think Cutler is one of them are retarded.
Is even possible to discuss Cutler around here in a completely objective and isolated way without every two teeth having sheep blarring, "bhaaa, we team suck, cutler god?"

Is that even possible?
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
If you look at the statistics of the QBs since the NFL made it a point of emphasis to prevent CBs from touching/pushing/chucking WRs after 5 yards you will see a noticable trend of QBs with exploding statistics.

We have seen every individual passing record broken, with Manning getting the tds mark, Brady with passing yards (I think) and so forth.

Is it even that big of deal for a healthy QB to get 3,000 yards in a season anymore? Absolutely not.

QBs stats are inflated and skewed now.

Back in the day, it took the Troy Aikmans, John Elways, and Brett Favres a couple of seasons to adjust to the NFL. Now? You got guys like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco stepping right in and producing seasons that coaches would have killed for from their veteran QBs in the late 80s and early 90s.

So if you think about it, Jay Cutler would have thrown about 30 interceptions this year if the CBs were allowed to bully WRs down the field since he likes to take "chances" and fit the ball into tight spaces. Would Jay even be playing 15 years ago? Probably not, because he would have turned the ball over too much. He would have been the cannon arm kid with the two cents head. And how many potential ints did Cutler have this year had the DB simply not dropped the pass directly too him? It's staggering. Cutler threw the 2nd most ints this year. That's terrible.

To me, Cutler has been disappointing simply because of his decision making. He really makes dumb mistakes on the field ala Plummer. Four red zone ints? You know how deflating that is to a team?

Cutler is no smarter than Plummer. Because of the emphasis on the passing rules, QBs like Cutler are now "superstars" when in fact they are simply benefactors of rules that make it nearly impossible for a WR NOT TO BE OPEN.

If Culter doesn't change, Shanahan is going to have to start managing the game with him like he did with Plummer.
first off, if the rule enforcement was as it was, then Cutler plays a different game. Further more our defense would play differently. Lastly, we had to throw because we couldn't consistently run the ball with anyone from week-to-week. It's all interconnected and you can't really go back and say what the conditions would be like under this senario B, but then speculate the outcome of senario B based on the results on senario A when the senarios are not equal. It doesn't mathmatically add up. There are too many confounding variables that you can't control and draw any kind of realistic conclusion.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 12-30-2008 at 01:00 PM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
This team has problems. Those who think Cutler is one of them are retarded.
Cutler has his issues. He's also hasn't even played for 3 seasons yet.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,516

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Is even possible to discuss Cutler around here in a completely objective and isolated way without every two teeth having sheep blarring, "bhaaa, we team suck, cutler god?"

Is that even possible?
It is if your "theory" made sense, and you know, actually was objective.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
bronco0608
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
first off, if the rule enforcement was as it was, then Cutler plays a different game. Further more our defense would play differently. Lastly, we had to throw because we couldn't consistently run the ball with anyone from week-to-week. It's all interconnected and you can't really go back and say what the conditions would be like under this senario A, but then speculate the outcome based on the results on senario A. It doesn't mathmatically add up.
Our running game was fine every week. Check the stats. We were 2nd in the league in rushing average at 4.8 PER CARRY. 2nd in the league, so for you to say that would couldn't consisently run the ball game after game is completely false. You have nothing statiscally to back that up.

You have a faulty premise of thinking that if that the rule was enforced, Cutler would be play different. How do you know that? Wasn't Warren Moon and Dan Marino chucking passes left and right in the 80's. I could say that Cutler would throw the ball twice as much before the rule enforcement and that would have as much as weight as what you said. You are speculating as much as I am.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!
 
Jason in LA's Avatar
 
Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA
Posts: 11,908
Default

So the league finally decides to enforce the illegal contact rule, and this is a problem?
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,516

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Our running game was FINE? Are you kidding me? You claim to be objective and then make that claim just because it would back up your theory. 7 RBs down. 7! And the only good one went down when it counted.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #12
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!
 
Blart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,910

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time
Default

I agree that QB's of today should not have stats compared to QB's of the 80's and early 90's.


edit: nevermind, Cutler did throw a rather high % of INT's this year, though he was well below Romo, Roethlisberger and Favre.

Last edited by Blart; 12-30-2008 at 01:08 PM..
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #13
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Our running game was fine every week. Check the stats. We were 2nd in the league in rushing average at 4.8 PER CARRY. 2nd in the league, so for you to say that would couldn't consisently run the ball game after game is completely false. You have nothing statiscally to back that up.

You have a faulty premise of thinking that if that the rule was enforced, Cutler would be play different. How do you know that? Wasn't Warren Moon and Dan Marino chucking passes left and right in the 80's. I could say that Cutler would throw the ball twice as much before the rule enforcement and that would have as much as weight as what you said. You are speculating as much as I am.

we were in the bottom 3rd for rushing attempts...the running game may be fine, but it was mostly ignored throughout the season.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #14
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 60,172

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Is even possible to discuss Cutler around here in a completely objective and isolated way without every two teeth having sheep blarring, "bhaaa, we team suck, cutler god?"

Is that even possible?
Well first you have to have 200 posts that's the rule on discussing Jay Cutler.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mandan
Posts: 4,982

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
This team has problems. Those who think Cutler is one of them are retarded.
I don't see Cutler as one of the 'problems' on this team. But there are plenty of areas where he can get even better, especially at finding open receivers in the middle of the field.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #16
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,516

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
I don't see Cutler as one of the 'problems' on this team. But there are plenty of areas where he can get even better, especially at finding open receivers in the middle of the field.
And I trust that to happen. Dude's only in his 3rd year. 2nd full year starting.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Our running game was fine every week. Check the stats. We were 2nd in the league in rushing average at 4.8 PER CARRY. 2nd in the league, so for you to say that would couldn't consisently run the ball game after game is completely false. You have nothing statiscally to back that up.
Well. That's the thing about stats, the can say one thing, but the reality is they don't really tell you what's going on out there. For example, do you know who our leading rusher was against buffalo? Our 2nd wide reciever. The only consistent runner we had all season was Peyton Hillis. Once he went down our shot at the plyoffs went down with him.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #18
bronco0608
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
we were in the bottom 3rd for rushing attempts...the running game may be fine, but it was mostly ignored throughout the season.
And we still finished with the 12th most rushing yards in the league. But I agree with you, we really did ignore the running game when in fact, no matter who we threw back there, they were successful. Doesn't make sense.

In reality, it doesn't matter who we put back there because as everyone knows, we make 1000 yards runners out of running backs that aren't even in the league two years after they leave us e.g Droughns, T.Bell, Gary, M.Anderson and so forth.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
I don't see Cutler as one of the 'problems' on this team. But there are plenty of areas where he can get even better, especially at finding open receivers in the middle of the field.
Exactly. Pre snap reads and finding the open man. Somebody is always open. I think Cutlers biggest problem is that he's greedy on the football field. He wants more, and sometimes he needs to take what the defense gives him.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #20
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
I agree that QB's of today should not have stats compared to QB's of the 80's and early 90's.


edit: nevermind, Cutler did throw a rather high % of INT's this year, though he was well below Romo, Roethlisberger and Favre.
By percentage, I assume you mean INT's per pass attempt?
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #21
manchambo
Ring of Famer
 
manchambo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco0608 View Post
Is even possible to discuss Cutler around here in a completely objective and isolated way without every two teeth having sheep blarring, "bhaaa, we team suck, cutler god?"

Is that even possible?

It is possible. But your post is retarded.

Did it even occur to you that, if the rules were different, Cutler might adjust his game to account for them?

What we know is that Cutler is an execeptionally talented quarterback who has been succesful so far, except that he's thrown a few too many interceptions. His interceptions are part and parcel of him being very aggressive slinging the ball around. For the most part, the good of his gunslinging outweighs the bad, but he needs to keep his head more in key situations (i.e., don't try to make a touchdown on every play and throw less red zone interceptions). To put it slightly differently, he generally takes full advantage of the rules to create an explosive passing game.

Cutler, like Brady Manning and others, plays very well under the current rules. He does that because he is tremendously gifted physically, and is reasonable smart football-wise. To assume that he or anyone else wouldn't be able to adjust their strategy to play under the previous rules is totally unfounded.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #22
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer
 
Hook'em Horns

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,423

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

I think his game is progressing fine. He has shown the ability to adjust to defenses. Early in the season it was bombs away, now that corners are turning and running he's throwing the quick hooks and slants, and drilling it in there. He is definitly not the problem, if we had 22 cutlers we would have won the division (scratch that 29 cutlers 7 spares for RB.)
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #23
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 47,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson
Default

Not only that, but he had many pass attempts and this gives him experience. Even though we didn't win the Super Bowl this year, every problem is an opportunity in disguise.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #24
bronco0608
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
It is possible. But your post is retarded.

Did it even occur to you that, if the rules were different, Cutler might adjust his game to account for them?

What we know is that Cutler is an execeptionally talented quarterback who has been succesful so far, except that he's thrown a few too many interceptions. His interceptions are part and parcel of him being very aggressive slinging the ball around. For the most part, the good of his gunslinging outweighs the bad, but he needs to keep his head more in key situations (i.e., don't try to make a touchdown on every play and throw less red zone interceptions). To put it slightly differently, he generally takes full advantage of the rules to create an explosive passing game.

Cutler, like Brady Manning and others, plays very well under the current rules. He does that because he is tremendously gifted physically, and is reasonable smart football-wise. To assume that he or anyone else wouldn't be able to adjust their strategy to play under the previous rules is totally unfounded.
What strategy does Cutler have right now with his INTS? Throw stupid passes at the most inopportune time?

Your post doesn't even make sense.
bronco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,454

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Give me a break. Cutler is the only reason this team finished 8-8 and not 2-14. Of course he was going to have a lot of mistakes this season, he threw the ball 616 times this season with 18 INTs, meaning 2.9% of his passes were intercepted. Rivers threw 11 INTs on 478 attempts and 2.3% were intercepted.
Kurt Warner 598 attempts and 14 INTs for a 2.3% INT rate
Drew Brees 635 attempts and 17 INTs for a 2.7% INT rate
Eli Manning 479 attempts and 10 INTs for a 2.1% INT rate
Peyton Manning 555 attempts and 12 INT's for a 2.2% INT rate
Brett Favre 522 attempts and 22 INT's for a 4.2% INT rate

The point being. amongst this years pro bowlers Jay is basically right in line with the amount of their passes being intercepted. He is getting a bad rep for his total of INT's because he has thrown more than practically every other QB in the league.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Denver Broncos