The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
Drek
Ring of Famer

Default Tim Tebow: Not a first round pick?

I've heard this talk quite a bit lately, most recently it was even mentioned on PTI that Tim Tebow will probably not be a first round pick.

Is that completely asinine to anyone else? Guy has a shot at a second Heisman this year, might win a second national championship this year, and he's as athletic a QB as the league has seen since Vince Young.

He's obviously not a great fit for every system, but he'd fit in a hell of a lot of them. If he slides out of the first round some teams are going to be looking stupid in a few years.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

I think that he most likely will fall into the late round because of his throwing motion. He has crappy mechanics and ball dives into the dirt when he throw it. Plus I don't think he has the arm strength to throw the 15 yard our.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

I am a HUGE FL fan--but his game does not translate well into the NFL--to erratic and too slow--he lacks lateral quickness--those runs he makes against college defenses would not be as effective in the pro's at all. His throws are often high and his VERY athletic recievers are constantly having to adjust to the ball---If he had accuracy I would say that he is the next Mark Brunnell--but he doesn't.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

To be fair I also think Bradford (OU) is going to struggle when he gets to the NFL too. I think that he going to have problem adjusting to the speed of the game and how fast he needs to get rid of the ball, because in college he never really be forced to throw with feet not set or under pressure because of that offense line.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
I am a HUGE FL fan--but his game does not translate well into the NFL--to erratic and too slow--he lacks lateral quickness--those runs he makes against college defenses would not be as effective in the pro's at all. His throws are often high and his VERY athletic recievers are constantly having to adjust to the ball---If he had accuracy I would say that he is the next Mark Brunnell--but he doesn't.
Yeah, he runs way too physically for it to translate well to the NFL. Teams have to be scared about paying a QB first round money that plays that way. Im sure GMs worry that he's an injury waiting to happen. Plus, Florida is a program of great athletes, which means Tebow has relatively large passing windows. He also has good Olinemen. In the NFL, those passing windows shrink and he has less time to throw. And has been mentioned, he's isnt exactly the most polished passer. He is more or less some physically gifted good guy who isnt as polished as you want from a 1st round pick. Philanthropy is great but I wonder if his trips in the summer is taking away from his progress as a QB.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I think he'll slip out of the first and somebody will be extremely smart and happy to get him toward the top of the 2nd round. As much as I'd hate to see it, somebody like the Faiders, who need OL help in a bad way, would be extremely wise to draft Oher in the first and then Tebow in the second (assuming he comes out). Russell isn't the answer and Tebow really could use a year of a real system to get his game down. He'll be a very good throwing QB but it will take some time as that part of his game hasn't matured yet. His heart will distinguish himself. I'd love to have him as a Bronco back up but wouldn't spend a second on him since it's not a huge need.

The Jets, Seahawks, Rams, and Lions would all be wise to draft Tebow in the first (jets) or second (rest of em).
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

I like Chase Daniel as a Denver Backup--he reminds me of Drew Brees.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I like Chase Daniel as a Denver Backup--he reminds me of Drew Brees.

No way. What success that dude has had in college can be linked to the fact that he played in practically the same system in high school. He will have to learn a new offense, he is a runt, and his arm strength is questionable. He threw an out to the wide side of the field last night and it barely made it. I would rather have a smart, accurate passer who is from a more obscure school that has a little mobility.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

You guys sound like a bunch of old ladies. Tebow is a fighter and a winner. He's in the mold of Favre, Plunkett, Stabler and Namath. If there was another Bill Walsh out there he would draft this kid and win four SBs.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better. Tebow is a poor man's Vince Young IMO. Only difference is Tebow doesn't have mental issues.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:47 AM   #11
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
You guys sound like a bunch of old ladies. Tebow is a fighter and a winner. He's in the mold of Favre, Plunkett, Stabler and Namath. If there was another Bill Walsh out there he would draft this kid and win four SBs.
Didn't Bill Walsh call Jake Plummer the 'next Joe Montana' when Jake was leaving ASU?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Didn't Bill Walsh call Jake Plummer the 'next Joe Montana' when Jake was leaving ASU?
He meant to say, "The Joe Montana of handball."
Old 12-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

He meant to say the next Joe Idaho. Joe Idaho isnt as good as Joe Montana.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #14
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I think a little bit higher of Tebow. He's going to have to sit for a few years though watching.

Probably 3rd round guy IMO.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

IMO, Tebow needs to quicken his release to be successful in nfl. His deep ball accuracy is also questionable.

He has lot of other skills good pocket awareness, toughness, moxie but you never know how qb will react to changing his fundamentals. He is sort of a project in that sense.

If I am Minnesota or someother team in need of a QB, i will take Mathew Stafford. He looks to me like a more polished Jay Cutler and his game projects well to nfl.
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #16
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

hes a winner and will win in the nfl
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #17
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILEYpick6 View Post
hes a winner and will win in the nfl
So were Faiser and Wufferal.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Tebow will definitely have to sit for 2 years to learn the NFLgame and change his game.
From what I've seen, he likes to run the ball and truck defenders. That won't happen in the NFL.
He doesn't have great mechanics throwing and his arm strength is average IMO, with above average accuracy.
He is a developmental guy, and I think he will be a late 1st/2nd round pick.
And remember, Danny Weurffel won the Heisman at Florida. Winning the Heisman does not = successful NFL career. Heck, look at Jason White too.
And winning in college does not mean you will win in the NFL. I think its ridiculous when people bring this up. Ken Dorsey was a winner in college and looked great at Miami. Matt Leinart was a winner.
And the Raiders will NOT draft a QB for at least 2 years early. They have a HUGE amount invested in Russell and this is only his 2nd year. Gotta give him 2 more years at least.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Development guys are usually 3 rounders or later. 1st and 2nd are ready to come in compete.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
Jens1893
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
Tebow will definitely have to sit for 2 years to learn the NFLgame and change his game.
From what I've seen, he likes to run the ball and truck defenders. That won't happen in the NFL.
He doesn't have great mechanics throwing and his arm strength is average IMO, with above average accuracy.
He is a developmental guy, and I think he will be a late 1st/2nd round pick.
And remember, Danny Weurffel won the Heisman at Florida. Winning the Heisman does not = successful NFL career. Heck, look at Jason White too.
And winning in college does not mean you will win in the NFL. I think its ridiculous when people bring this up. Ken Dorsey was a winner in college and looked great at Miami. Matt Leinart was a winner.
And the Raiders will NOT draft a QB for at least 2 years early. They have a HUGE amount invested in Russell and this is only his 2nd year. Gotta give him 2 more years at least.
Eric Crouch, Troy Smith, Chris Weinke ...
Jens1893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Same stuff they said about Duante Culpepper.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I've heard this talk quite a bit lately, most recently it was even mentioned on PTI that Tim Tebow will probably not be a first round pick.

Is that completely asinine to anyone else? Guy has a shot at a second Heisman this year, might win a second national championship this year, and he's as athletic a QB as the league has seen since Vince Young.

He's obviously not a great fit for every system, but he'd fit in a hell of a lot of them. If he slides out of the first round some teams are going to be looking stupid in a few years.
Troy Smith, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke are 3 QB's drafted in the last decade who won the Heisman none of which were drafted in the first round.

winning the Heisman does not make you a great NFL player. Tebow has great athletic ability, and that wins awards in college, but in the NFL athletic ability isn't enough. Look at Vince Young or Michael Vick. you also need the mental aspect of the game, and Tebow's skills are very similar to Young's. also more than likely Stafford and Bradford are coming out and both are better than him.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #23
GoHAM
Ring of Famer

36, now that's shabby!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein

I just don't see Tebow as an NFL quality QB, then again I didn't see Alex Smith as a first round QB either, so that shows you what I know.

Just watching Tebow throw the ball, he looks like an offensive lineman throwing the ball around in warmups. The ball flutters and ducks, has no trajectory and usually nosedives for the dirt. And his release can be measured w/ a sundial. At this point Tebow to me is an overhyped BVP. Sure he can run the ball and shotput the ball to his talented receivers, and he wins a lot of games and he's a really nice guy and a great teammate but I just don't see him as an NFL QB.

But I could be wrong. Name me the last really succesful NFL QB to win the Heisman. Palmer and that's not looking like a real good argument right now.
GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #24
stugotsII
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

Tebow is NOT be a first round selection. He is the product of a college system and that's it.

Unless the team that drafts him runs Urban Meyers version of the spread, he won't be anything but a backup.

There is a difference between putting up huge numbers in college and winning awards and performing in the NFL.

Please see:

Eric Crouch
Troy Smith
Matt Leinart
Tim Couch
Ryan Leaf
Jason White
Timmy Chang
David Klingler
Ty and Koy Detmer

...and the list goes on and on.

Another way to look at this:

Name one, just one QB who ran the spread option offense in college who has been a success in the NFL.
stugotsII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #25
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWYO View Post
I just don't see Tebow as an NFL quality QB, then again I didn't see Alex Smith as a first round QB either, so that shows you what I know.

Just watching Tebow throw the ball, he looks like an offensive lineman throwing the ball around in warmups. The ball flutters and ducks, has no trajectory and usually nosedives for the dirt. And his release can be measured w/ a sundial. At this point Tebow to me is an overhyped BVP. Sure he can run the ball and shotput the ball to his talented receivers, and he wins a lot of games and he's a really nice guy and a great teammate but I just don't see him as an NFL QB.

But I could be wrong. Name me the last really succesful NFL QB to win the Heisman. Palmer and that's not looking like a real good argument right now.
QFT! Guess we'll have to wait and see his combine video to determine who is correct. My guess is the QB from Oklahoma will make a better Pro QB than Tebow.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: