The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr
Default The impact of Fake News

Every reasonable American (dem and repubs alike) should be very concerned about the influence of social media on our populace. Especially social media posting fake news.

Paul Horner, admits to making up fake news and creating websites that mimic legitimate websites claims he is responsible for putting Donald Trump in the White House. Some of this stories include protesters being paid $3500 by the democratic party, Obama's executive order to end the National Anthem at Sporting Events and a gay wedding mobile van service that also specializes in abortions, Wikileaks confirms Hillary sold weapons to ISIS. The man claims to not be a Trump supporter "I hate Donald Trump" but does not plan to stop doing fake news because he said he makes $10,000/month from ad agencies that work with him. He also said that Donald Trump supporters are gullible idiots will believe anything and are not interested in fact checking.

Main story

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-t...esponsibility/

Information about the effect fake news has on the electorate

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook...investigation/

A couple of his fake news articles. Notice that it is supposed to fool the viewer to think it's from ABC News or CNN. Also notice the social media share links right on top near the headline.

http://abcnews.com.co/gay-wedding-mo...-gay-marriage/

http://cnn.com.de/news/obama-signs-e...tional-anthem/

So, what should be done about this? Should Paul Horner face any charges? Is posting fake news supported by the 1st amendment? Is Paul Horner nothing more than an entrepreneur?

I personally believe he should face serious penalties as I would think impersonating legitimate news companies has to be against the law.

Last edited by SVine; 11-18-2016 at 09:52 AM..
SVine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Trump is human garbage

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Most of the people at Fox News would be in prison right now if fake news was a crime.
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paxton Lynch

All your links have been cleared out.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I personally hate it and I saw so many Trump supporters eating it up. Here is one example of an old friend who never fact checks anything and when I tell him to check out snopes.com or actually post the story as false, he tells me, "they are run by liberals!" (Ok, use factcheck.com). So he post the story on the executive order for ending Pledge of Allegience in schools. I looked it up on snopes and sure enough it was there back from August 16th (this was posted in October). I put the link on his thread and I get a guy responding to me saying, "That is old story from August. This is now new one." So the idiot admits the one in August is fake BUT THIS ONE, in October, isn't the same story circulating 2 months later!

Fake news which is lying, should be prosecuted. There is no basis in truth. Google and FB should make sure to jump on it and delete them as fast as possible. Of course those same people will put the tagline, "Facebook is deleting this because they don't want you to know the truth!"
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVine View Post
Every reasonable American (dem and repubs alike) should be very concerned about the influence of social media on our populace. Especially social media posting fake news.

Paul Horner, admits to making up fake news and creating websites that mimic legitimate websites claims he is responsible for putting Donald Trump in the White House. Some of this stories include protesters being paid $3500 by the democratic party, Obama's executive order to end the National Anthem at Sporting Events and a gay wedding mobile van service that also specializes in abortions, Wikileaks confirms Hillary sold weapons to ISIS. The man claims to not be a Trump supporter "I hate Donald Trump" but does not plan to stop doing fake news because he said he makes $10,000/month from ad agencies that work with him. He also said that Donald Trump supporters are gullible idiots will believe anything and are not interested in fact checking.

Main story

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-t...esponsibility/

Information about the effect fake news has on the electorate

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook...investigation/

A couple of his fake news articles. Notice that it is supposed to fool the viewer to think it's from ABC News or CNN. Also notice the social media share links right on top near the headline.

http://abcnews.com.co/gay-wedding-mo...-gay-marriage/

http://cnn.com.de/news/obama-signs-e...tional-anthem/

So, what should be done about this? Should Paul Horner face any charges? Is posting fake news supported by the 1st amendment? Is Paul Horner nothing more than an entrepreneur?

I personally believe he should face serious penalties as I would think impersonating legitimate news companies has to be against the law.
Nope, not against the law. It's a civil matter.

Good thing the first amendment protects people, even the ones that make "fake" news stories. The solution, or best solution, is for people to educate themselves about what are legitimate news sources and which ones are not. FaceTwiiter book are not legitimate news sources. They never have been and they never will be. Right now they are all in the not-legitimate category after news organizations were exposed in the DNC leaks. So-called traditional respected news sources have been colluding with both political parties to frame messages and news stories. They are untrustworthy and I am not sure they can get that trust back.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Wow. There were legitimate links a few minutes ago. This is really strange. I'll try to fix them.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shaq Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Most of the people at Fox News would be in prison right now if fake news was a crime.
As would the people at CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS.......
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #8
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Wow. There were legitimate links a few minutes ago. This is really strange. I'll try to fix them.
The links of his other fake stories work on bottom of those links you used.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
All link are fixed and as of RIGHT NOW, are working.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Yeah, I talked about a similar topic yesterday in the thread linked below (see post #391, for example). The right wing propaganda machine is great at spreading this stuff.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...124959&page=16
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
As would the people at CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS.......
Exactly 55, none of them are unbiased good news sources. All of them exhibit unethical conduct. It amuses me when one side denotes the one over the others.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #12
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Yeah, I talked about a similar topic yesterday in the thread linked below (see post #385, for example). The right wing propaganda machine is great at spreading this stuff.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...124959&page=16
Oy Veh
Old 11-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #13
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Exactly 55, none of them are unbiased good news sources. All of them exhibit unethical conduct. It amuses me when one side denotes the one over the others.
You're comparing two very different things. Or at least you're trying to.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #14
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Nope, not against the law. It's a civil matter.

Good thing the first amendment protects people, even the ones that make "fake" news stories. The solution, or best solution, is for people to educate themselves about what are legitimate news sources and which ones are not. FaceTwiiter book are not legitimate news sources. They never have been and they never will be. Right now they are all in the not-legitimate category after news organizations were exposed in the DNC leaks. So-called traditional respected news sources have been colluding with both political parties to frame messages and news stories. They are untrustworthy and I am not sure they can get that trust back.
Someone deep in Trumpland and unfortunately it might take a economic depression to dig you out.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #15
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You guys have it backwards. Social media is the news now. The fake news in large part and what you should be really concerned with is MSM. The reason MSM is pushing this idea of "fake" news is because of how horribly wrong they got EVERYTHING about this election. They continue to double down on their ideological narratives while the only stories and events you can find are all on social media. You won't anything about how Clinton supporters are literally destroying and vandalizing their communites and also assaulting anyone who dares disagree with them. All the while attempting to box Trump supporters all in the "violent bigot" category. No ****e people go elsewhere to get the real news.

These are corporations that on the surface would have you believe they are legitimate, but will actively subvert from within to push their political and ideological stances on the public.

These outlets (CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS, all of them) need to acknowledge that they ARE the problem. The media is objectively one of the most out of touch, insulated, provincial and ignorant institutions (not including Holywood of course, which would take the cake here easily).

Things like "diversity" are not just about race or moving further and further left to align with the left's fascist thinking. And the left is very much closer to fascisim than the right. Anyone who disagrees with them is immediately dismissed and labeled any number of things; racist, bigot, sexist, blah blah blah. They would love for everyone to be forced (by the gov) to agree with their ideals. And the MSM promotes this behavior.

Last edited by Atwater His Ass; 11-18-2016 at 10:01 AM..
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Someone deep in Trumpland and unfortunately it might take a economic depression to dig you out.
Did not refute and/or discuss one thing I said. You're b****ing about "fake" news stories when the large majority of things published are not-genuine.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
You guys have it backwards. Social media is the news now. The fake news in large part and what you should be really concerned with is MSM. The reason MSM is pushing this idea of "fake" news is because of how horribly wrong they got EVERYTHING about this election. They continue to double down on their ideological narratives while the only stories and events you can find are all on social media. You won't anything about how Clinton supporters are literally destroying and vandalizing their communites and also assaulting anyone who dares disagree with them. All the while attempting to box Trump supporters all in the "violent bigot" category. No ****e people go elsewhere to get the real news.

These are corporations that on the surface would have you believe they are legitimate, but will actively subvert from within to push their political and ideological stances on the public.

These outlets (CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS, all of them) need to acknowledge that they ARE the problem. The media is objectively one of the most out of touch, insulated, provincial and ignorant institutions (not including Holywood of course, which would take the cake here easily).

Things like "diversity" are not just about race or moving further and further left to align with the left's fascist thinking. And the left is very much closer to fascisim than the right. Anyone who disagrees with them is immediately dismissed and labeled any number of things; racist, bigot, sexist, blah blah blah. They would love for everyone to be forced (by the gov) to agree with their ideals. And the MSM promotes this behavior.
Case and point...Svine has already suggested there ought to be a law to put people in jail for "fake" news stories
Old 11-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Did not refute and/or discuss one thing I said. You're b****ing about "fake" news stories when the large majority of things published are not-genuine.
You do understand that there is a difference between "bias" and "fake", right? And you also understand that there are differing degrees/levels of bias?
Old 11-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Case and point...
Just fyi, the expression is "case in point".
Old 11-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #20
Bronx33
lets go partner

Camaraderie-ship for all

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von

Facebook has been running them as well.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #21
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

There has always been distrust in the media. It really is quite amazing and sad how all this distrust in the media is now a driving force in what our electorate believes and wants to believe.

Consider that our country prides itself on freedom of speech, what has been created is conspiracy that a huge chunk of our country wants to believe, even with little evidence to support their beliefs.

Seriously, I never understood why the media should be distrusted? At least it's not state media as you would get in repressive countries.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #22
SVine
Ring of Famer

Broncos 2017!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Case and point...Svine has already suggested there ought to be a law to put people in jail for "fake" news stories
What is acceptable to impersonate? A police officer? The media in attempting to spread false information? That's very serious. It's really sad that people want false information spread to combat what they view as bias from msm.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #23
Bronx33
lets go partner

Camaraderie-ship for all

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post

I listened to Ross Kaminski this morning and this was the topic facebook is a real problem for sure as are alot of other news outlets this **** needs to be exposed.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #24
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Seriously, I never understood why the media should be distrusted? At least it's not state media as you would get in repressive countries.
Seriously? The bias in many stories is what creates these feelings. Add the Wikileaks showing media outlets and reporters actually showing biased is the reason for these feelings.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #25
NE Cheaters
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Well, the left think they have the corner on truth, but their side spews as many fake stories as infowars does.
NE Cheaters is offline   Reply With Quote