The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #2001
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
He markets himself well....but I don't see him being a huge and marketable star once his playing days are over.
I could see him going the Shannon Sharpe route very easily after he retires.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #2002
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I could see him going the Shannon Sharpe route very easily after he retires.
I think he's much more likely to go the Shaq route. He will be in plenty of terrible movies, probably have a TV show along the way, will do guest spots on the sports shows, and just generally think up dumb crazy stuff to do that people like me will continue to eat up.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #2003
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Jon Gruden says get on the Oakland Raiders bandwagon

..."If you look at their front seven, I know all the years I was coaching, I'd love to have that group. Adding guys like (Kamerion) Wimbley, (John) Henderson, trading for Richard Seymour (in 2009), (having) Tommy Kelly, getting (Rolando) McClain in the first round. That's a good front seven. (Nnamdi Asomugha is) arguably one of the top corners in all of football. I like everything about their defense. And I think I should. These are talented football players."

..."If they can take care of the ball, run the ball and develop a couple of these young offensive linemen -- and I've heard good things about some of their sleepers that they have in camp -- I think they can win the division. I really do. I like the Raiders a lot."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raid...nclick_check=1
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #2004
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Michael Bush expected to be out a while

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-out-a-while/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 2, 2010 10:44 PM ET

Darren McFadden will finally get his chance to prove he can be a feature running back.

Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune says that it's "highly unlikely" Raiders running back Michael Bush will be ready for the season opener and could miss "up to a quarter of the season or more."

The Raiders have kept injury information tight, but Bush said it was a "Bennett fracture" on his Twitter page and posted pictures of his surgery on Twitter. McDonald learned that a 4-6 week recovery for a running back would be a "best case scenario" after speaking to an orthopedic surgeon in general terms about the injury.

Oakland may now keep both Rock Cartwright and Michael Bennett on the roster to back up McFadden early in the season. We're excited to see what McFadden can do with the chance to be The Man.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #2005
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Initial diagnosis for Browns back Montario Hardesty isn't good

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...sty-isnt-good/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 3, 2010 11:27 AM ET

The Browns drafted Montario Hardesty because they loved his smarts and his skills. But they also knew he was only available late in the second round because of his injury history.

On Thursday night, that history caught up to him in heartbreaking fashion.

The initial diagnosis following Hardesty's injury is that the impressive rookie suffered a torn ACL, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Further tests will be taken today to confirm the news.

Hardesty was expected to lead the Browns backfield, but this is one position the team has sufficient depth. Jerome Harrison is a quality option, and Peyton Hillis will probably play more tailback now. James Davis also looked impressive on Thursday night.

UPDATE: The diagnosis was confirmed. Hardesty is out for the year.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #2006
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Hillis will finally get his oportunity to show what he can do
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #2007
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog...king-defensive

Jack Del Rio still seeking defensive resurgence

Submitted by Gene Frenette on September 1, 2010 - 8:30pm

The politician in Jack Del Rio always campaigns hard each preseason on behalf of his defense. He promises it’s going to be this aggressive, swarm-to-the-ball, quarterback-harassing unit that will regularly be part of the Jaguars’ identity.

There’s no doubt Del Rio passionately believes that, but the harsh truth is it’s been a thing of the past. His defenses have been hideous for two years and were only average during that 2007 playoff season. Either because of advanced age at some positions or overvaluing players, the defense became the exact opposite of Del Rio’s core belief as a coach.

It was soft, undisciplined and alarmingly weak against the pass. How long can this go on?

Not surprisingly, Del Rio insists this eyesore stops now. It’s going to be different in 2010 because, in his mind, the meat and potatoes of that line around Terrance Knighton (aka Pot Roast) is of better quality.

Del Rio looks at Knighton being paired inside with rookie Tyson Alualu and envisions a John Henderson-Marcus Stroud reincarnation, circa 2005-06, the last time the defense was really the team’s backbone.

I’m not convinced yet, but at least the Jaguars are shaking things up in hopes of achieving a different result. Henderson, as good as he was in his prime, had become too unreliable. Coaches were tired of his act, not knowing which Big Hen they were getting from one week to the next, so they released him. If anybody can help the underachieving Derrick Harvey get to the quarterback, having a proven veteran like Aaron Kampman on the other side might invigorate him.

“It starts up front,” Del Rio said. “I think those guys give us a reason to be optimistic about what we can do on defense. Our linebackers are good. Our front is very good. We’re going to have a good defense this year. I really believe that.”

But will it happen? Veteran Jaguars safety Sean Considine has fresh memories of what a great defense looks like, having played on the Philadelphia Eagles’ third-ranked unit in 2008.

“Right now, the word that comes to mind with this defense is potential,” Considine said. “Everybody knows how potential works. You got to go out there and do it.

“If we’re going to take that next step here down in Jacksonville, we need to have players that you might not look at as playmaking guys come out this year and be that guy. Having average or middle-of-the-pack starters having career years. That’s what’s going to take this team to the next level.”

It’s fitting that tonight’s last preseason dress rehearsal brings a visit from the Atlanta Falcons, coached by former Jaguars defensive coordinator Mike Smith. He left Jacksonville at the right time, getting a promotion just as his unit was going into decline. After that 2007 season, Del Rio admitted the defense was “getting by on smoke and mirrors.”

It’s time for the defense to execute with dependable playmakers. Or it could be another long season.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #2008
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

http://jacksonville.com/sports/footb...ones-drew-says

Back on Monday, Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew says
Posted: September 3, 2010 - 12:30amPhotos

Maurice Jones-Drew was on the sidelines for the Jaguars' preseason game against Atlanta on Thursday night at EverBank Field.Blog: Final observations on Jaguars preseason, who gets cut and who stays

By Vito Stellino
Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew, who declined interview requests earlier in the week, said Thursday night he will be ready to return to practice Monday after missing the final two preseason games.

Jones-Drew didn’t play last Saturday in Tampa Bay or in Thursday night’s 13-9 victory over the Atlanta Falcons and hasn’t practiced for the past two weeks.

“I will be back Monday doing everything I need to do to get ready to beat Denver [in the season opener],” he said.

Although the Jaguars and Jones-Drew’s agent denied a report that he underwent knee surgery, they aren’t required to give out injury reports during the preseason, and they haven’t said exactly what sidelined him. And Jones-Drew said he was getting “rehab,” but didn’t specify what injury he has been rehabbing.

“After having a tough offseason, OTAs, a tough training camp, obviously I wanted to be out there with my teammates, but we felt the best thing for me was rest and rehab and getting my body back right, taking care of all the nicks and bruises,” Jones-Drew said. “I feel great. I can’t wait to get out there and play Denver. They are the first hurdle in our road to success, and I can’t wait to get out there.”

Of the speculation about his injury, Jones-Drew said, “It’s been a big mess over nothing. There have been some false reports out there about what
happened, which is fine. People are going to speculate, but that is not going to hurt anything that happens with this team. More than anything else, guys understand. They want me back. I want to be back, and I will be back on Monday.”
Old 09-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #2009
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

http://jacksonville.com/sports/footb...-bay-10-6-half

Jaguars: Still a work in progress in victoryStarters inconsistent, backups pull out win
Posted: August 29, 2010 - 12:38amPhotos

RICK WILSON/The Times-Union
By Vito Stellino
TAMPA — In what was supposed to be a dress rehearsal for the regular season on Saturday night, the Jaguars looked as if they’re still not ready for Broadway.

Against a Tampa Bay team that was playing without injured starting quarterback Josh Freeman, the Jaguars trailed 13-9 when they pulled the starters deep into the third quarter.

The Jaguars did pull out a 19-13 victory, their first of the preseason, with their backups.

Luke McCown threw a 27-yard pass to John Matthews with 1:14 left in the third quarter for the go-ahead score.

With the regular season two weeks from today against Denver after they wrap up the preseason Thursday night against Atlanta, the Jaguars continued to be plagued by inconsistent play.
The starters — the Jaguars were missing running back Maurice Jones-Drew and all three linebackers — lost a chance to take control of the game when they had a second down on the Tampa 1 with 4:21 left in the first half.
Montell Owens was stopped for no gain and the Jaguars tried a pass on third down and David Garrard telegraphed a throw to Greg Jones that linebacker Barrett Rudd picked off and returned 80 yards to set up the Bucs’ only touchdown.
“Obviously that is a missed opportunity there,’’ Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said of the interception. “What I talked to the guys about tonight was as a football team we have to learn how to respond positively. It’s not always going to go the way you want. I thought we did a nice job coming back on the two-minute drill, moving down the field, having a shot at a touchdown, securing the points, so we go into halftime at least feeling good about how we finished the half. That was a positive.
“Clearly we have to punch it in when we are sitting down there.”
Said Garrard of the interception: “I saw Greg Jones going into the flat. I didn’t really have enough time to look anywhere else. It was him or nobody, and the best thing I can do right there is keep it in front of him so that he catches it or no one does. That’s the only way I can help myself right there.”
After the interception, the Jaguars then put together a two-minute drive from the Jaguars 26 to the Tampa Bay 15 with 11 seconds left.
But Eugene Monroe was called for two penalties on the next play, illegal formation and holding. The Jags then settled for a 43-yard field goal by Josh Scobee.
It was the third time in the first half that the Jaguars moved into the Bucs’ red zone. They settled for two field goals.
Garrard put up solid numbers, completing 24 of 31 passes for 211 yards.
But he couldn’t get his team in the end zone and the interception resulted in a 14-point swing.
The Jaguars’ mistakes weren’t limited to Garrard’s interception. Cornerback Derek Cox fell down on the Bucs’ first offensive play, allowing Mike Williams to catch a 53-yard pass.
The Jaguars also had nine penalties in the first three quarters and their starters didn’t sack Johnson.

They also had little success running the ball in the first half when they played all but one series with Uche Nwaneri at center and Justin Smiley and Vince Manuwai at guard. Tynan Forney, who had been starting at guard, didn’t make the trip because of an injury and the Jaguars will now have to decide their second guard starter.

Playing without Jones-Drew, they ran for just 33 yards in 11 carries in the first half. Rashad Jennings started and had nine yards in four carries.

The defense limited the Bucs to just three points after the first quarter.

Related: Jaguars' offense falls short in red zone against Buccaneers

“We played real stout up front,’’ said defensive tackle Terrance Knighton. “We are hitting the quarterback but we are just a step late. We have to get there a little quicker, just be more precise with details when we are rushing.”

Added cornerback Rashean Mathis: “I thought we played well. It was an improvement.

“We gave up a big one on the first play of the game, but then we recouped. That is what we have been trying to do. When adversity plays come it’s about how you respond. We responded well and held them to a field goal.”
Old 09-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #2010
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Falcons | Dan Klecko released
Comment (0)
Fri, 03 Sep 2010 11:15:56 -0400
The Atlanta Falcons have released DT Dan Klecko, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0yUuDNVQE

Patriots | Damione Lewis released
Comment (0)
Fri, 03 Sep 2010 10:53:46 -0400

The New England Patriots have released DL Damione Lewis, according to Jason La Canfora, of NFL Network.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0yUuTG8ws
Old 09-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #2011
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21’s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Seattle OL coach Alex Gibbs, an all-time great assistant coach, abruptly resigned a week before Seahawks opening game. More at ESPN.com.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/23008013333
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #2012
Naggle Nole
Team Intern

Soul Brotha

Figures with ol' Coach Gibbs
I think the guy was truly done when he left us, but he is one of those high-strung types that gets bored with retired life and can't completely give it up
Naggle Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #2013
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggle Nole View Post
Figures with ol' Coach Gibbs
I think the guy was truly done when he left us, but he is one of those high-strung types that gets bored with retired life and can't completely give it up
I can picture Gibbs as one of those old dudes that yells at all the kids in the neighborhood. The entire neighborhood is relieved when he finds a job somewhere else.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #2014
Naggle Nole
Team Intern

Soul Brotha

I think Eastwood should have cast Gibbs into his role for Gran Torino
Naggle Nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #2015
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Eagles ship Stacy Andrews to Seattle

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ws-to-seattle/

Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2010 6:21 PM ET

Eagles guard Stacy Andrews took a pay cut to stay in Philly, and they got rid of him anyway.

Per a league source (and as we broke on Twitter, the new portal of record for NFL news in 140-character chunks), the Eagles have shipped Andrews to the Seahawks.

Signed as a free agent from the Bengals in 2009 as a right tackle, the Eagles quickly moved Andrews to guard, at a time when they also employed his brother, Shawn, a former Pro Bowl guard whom they decided to move to tackle.

Andrews recently bristled at suggestions that he was out of the picture in Philly, and he likely welcomes the opportunity for a second fresh start in two years.

It's unclear whether he'll play guard or tackle in Seattle. In Philly, there's a chance he would have played end, guard, and tackle -- and we'll give a free one-year subscription to PFT to anyone who can finish that age-old insult in the comments.

UPDATE: The Eagles got only a seventh-round pick in 2011 for Andrews.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #2016
NYBronc
Ring of Famer

pka young wu

Source: PFT
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 5, 2010 10:09 AM ET

Remember Mike Mitchell? He was the No. 47 overall pick in the 2009 draft, the safety from Ohio University that Mike Mayock and the rest of the nation of draftniks thought Oakland took about five rounds too early.

On Saturday, Mitchell was reportedly the subject of a behind-the-scenes battle between Raiders owner and the team's coaching staff. We'll let you guess who won.

Let's back the story up for a minute. 2010 Seventh-round Raiders safety Stevie Brown practiced on Saturday. He spoke with the media about making the team. But when the Raiders officially released their cuts Saturday afternoon, they still had one move left to make.

Here's where it gets fun.

A former Raiders employee-turned Florida radio host Andy Slater said that Brown was going to get the axe on his Twitter page. This was hours before he news came out. He also reported that "everyone in the organization" except wanted to cut Mitchell instead of Brown. Davis essentially wanted to avoid the P.R. hit and admit he made such a big mistake last year. (Maybe Davis told them Mitchell "is a great player. Get over it.")

Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune breaks down the timeline of Slater's tweets, which are fascinating. It's hard to doubt him when he nailed the news before it happened.

Apparently the coaching staff pushed hard for Brown, who also has impressed teammates. But after the Raiders couldn't find a taker for Mitchell in a trade, they cut Brown. (Even if they didn't officially mention it on their website until very late last night.)

"Let me be clear, for those tweeting me on Mitchell/Raiders, coaches do NOT want him. Addition by subtraction," Slater wrote.

But as we know, coaches don't always get what they want. Especially in Oakland.

Just another day in Raider Nation.
NYBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #2017
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

That is too good.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #2018
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

So is Brown any good?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #2019
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I think the Ravens just signed TJ Houshmanzada

https://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/23153938134
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #2020
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Supposedly Brady is about to sign his contract extension:

3 years $58 mil

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...p1=Upbox_links
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #2021
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronc View Post

Remember Mike Mitchell? He was the No. 47 overall pick in the 2009 draft, the safety from Ohio University that Mike Mayock and the rest of the nation of draftniks thought Oakland took about five rounds too early.

On Saturday, Mitchell was reportedly the subject of a behind-the-scenes battle between Raiders owner and the team's coaching staff. We'll let you guess who won.

Let's back the story up for a minute. 2010 Seventh-round Raiders safety Stevie Brown practiced on Saturday. He spoke with the media about making the team. But when the Raiders officially released their cuts Saturday afternoon, they still had one move left to make.

A former Raiders employee-turned Florida radio host Andy Slater said that Brown was going to get the axe on his Twitter page. This was hours before he news came out. He also reported that "everyone in the organization" except wanted to cut Mitchell instead of Brown. Davis essentially wanted to avoid the P.R. hit and admit he made such a big mistake last year. (Maybe Davis told them Mitchell "is a great player. Get over it.")

Jerry McDonald of the Oakland Tribune breaks down the timeline of Slater's tweets, which are fascinating. It's hard to doubt him when he nailed the news before it happened.

Apparently the coaching staff pushed hard for Brown, who also has impressed teammates. But after the Raiders couldn't find a taker for Mitchell in a trade, they cut Brown. (Even if they didn't officially mention it on their website until very late last night.)

"Let me be clear, for those tweeting me on Mitchell/Raiders, coaches do NOT want him. Addition by subtraction," Slater wrote.

Wasn't Brown one of the defensive players that all the media hype prognosticated about?

So, if Brown is so damn good, another team will certainly pick him up. On the other hand, the fanstatic faiders defense is now just that much more suckified...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #2022
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

suckified is a Bush term...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #2023
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos

out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronc View Post

According to SoCal, this is the correct way to handle the situation.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #2024
Ugly Duck
Proof: SD fans DO exist!

RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
So is Brown any good?
Stevie Brown was all over the ball in preseason. Became a fan favorite real fast. Pulled in 2 INTs & then snagged a blocked kick out of the air & ran it into the end zone... but that was all against scrubs. He's signed on to the Raider practice squad right now but will probably see the field if someone gets hurt or screws up.
Ugly Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #2025
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis has signed a five-year, $37 million contract extension, making him highest-paid tight end in NFL history, according to league sources.

The deal will pay Davis a guaranteed $23 million, according to sources.