The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #1926
uplink
Ring of Famer

top 200 NFL players in the AFC West http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...n-the-afc-west
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #1927
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
They got Albert and two third round picks (Brad Cottam and DeJuan Morgan?).

Wow, what a lopsided trade.

I just imagine them sticking with the 4-3 with Herm and having Allen and Hali at DE and Dorsey and Jackson at DT. I think that could be a scary d-line.
Do you think Jackson gets traded? Do you like how AJ Smith runs the team?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:22 AM   #1928
Ugly Duck
Proof: SD fans DO exist!

RF

The Kids Are All Right: 10 under-the-radar rookies to watch

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-264959
Ugly Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #1929
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Do you think Jackson gets traded? Do you like how AJ Smith runs the team?
Unless Jackson lowers his contract demands ($30M guaranteed?!) I don't see how he's getting traded. Seattle has already passed on him and rumor has it Washington is now not interested.

If Danny Snyder is unwilling to fork out the cash, you know something is wrong.

I absolutely love how AJ Smith runs the team. He's one of the best GMs out there IMO. The only thing I don't like about him is the way he airs dirty laundry in the media. I guess that contributes to his no-nonsense, hard-nose persona but I wish he would use more "coach speak" when dealing with the media.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #1930
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I don't know if it's an indictment of the rest of the teams in the AFC West, or a matter of SD being awesome, but no AFC West team has won four AFC West titles in a row since Oakland 1972-1976, until SD did it last year. And only SD has won 5 AFC West titles in six years.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #1931
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
I don't know if it's an indictment of the rest of the teams in the AFC West, or a matter of SD being awesome, but no AFC West team has won four AFC West titles in a row since Oakland 1972-1976, until SD did it last year. And only SD has won 5 AFC West titles in six years.
I'd say it's more an indictment of the rest of the teams. KC and Oakland have been plain awful and we trip on our ***** near the finish line every year. We've given both the Chargers and the Chiefs a trip to the playoffs courtesy of our consistent mailing it in.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #1932
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6899396.story

Martz feeling the love with Cutler
New Bears offensive coordinator as enamored as ever with QB

Jay Cutler talks with Lance Briggs on the sidelines against the Raiders. (Jonathan Daniel, Getty Images / August 22, 2010)

8:43 p.m. CDT, August 24, 2010

For anyone wondering how the Jay Cutler-Mike Martz marriage is progressing, the honeymoon appears to be ongoing, based on the way the Bears offensive coordinator gushed Tuesday.

"There's nothing about Jay that I worry about,'' Martz said. "I just wish all of you could know him like I know him right now. I know that this sounds syrupy and sappy and all that, but every day that I get to know him as a man and as a player he's pretty unusual now.

"He has great character and class and dignity with the players. Professionally, he's trying to do everything just exactly the way we ask him to do it. He's brilliant. He's not smart, he's brilliant.''
If only Martz could speak as highly of the offensive line.

Surprisingly, Martz did not lash out — at least in front of the media — about his line allowing Cutler to be sacked five times in the first half of Saturday night's loss to the Raiders. Left tackle Chris Williams struggled miserably, surrendering three sacks.

"I think with Chris, it's an aberration,'' Martz said. "I see him every day out here. I don't know what happened to him. When I look at him on tape, the technique and everything is just not who he is.

"You're always concerned when you have sacks,'' Martz continued. "… But from what we see in practice every day against what's a real good front, I think they'll be just fine. I really do.''

Cutler chuckled when asked Tuesday about displaying his mobility.

"I don't think we want to use the scrambling abilities the way we did on Saturday,'' he said. "We want to try to incorporate some nakeds and some bootlegs and stuff, maybe not in the manner that we did.

"The offensive line, they had some struggles. They were in the right spots. It was just more of a lack of setting correctly and stuff like that. They're going to take care of it. I'm not worried about it. This week (against the Cardinals) is going to be a good test for them.''

The Bears have as many as 37 different protection schemes in their arsenal, but don't expect Martz or offensive line coach Mike Tice to start exhausting their resources now. Plus Tice said the line has not had a true opportunity to develop cohesion with right guard Lance Louis in and out with an ankle injury.

"We have chosen to let our players just work and get better,'' Tice said. "We're still evaluating our players. I've only been around Chris for a couple of months. I have to find out all of his weaknesses. I have to find out where I can help him, where I can get him better.

"If I guy has a bad night, technique-wise, you continue to push him to stay focused on his technique when he's tired, stressed, whatever's bothering him. … When things are going badly, technique wins.''
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #1933
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
So basically they dominated division when the other teams were down, but couldn't win a Superbowl.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #1934
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Don't take Cutler in Fantasy. He will get sacked 40 times this yr, throw 15-20 picks, and probably only 25 tds to make up for it. Unless he falls out of the top 10 qbs I would pass on him.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #1935
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Holy crap Mike Martz is ridiculous.
I wonder if he gives Cutler bj's every day after practice... sheesh.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #1936
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #1937
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
Holy crap Mike Martz is ridiculous.
I wonder if he gives Cutler bj's every day after practice... sheesh.
I like Martz the guy and he can pretty creative as an offensive coordinator. He does need someone to tell him "no" or he'll get crazy. If Martz can teach Cutler to have some restraint and learn to play within himself, he could realize his potential. Otherwise Cutler will continue to flatline. With that line and that offense in it's first year, though, I expect Jay to throw upwards of 30 picks this year.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #1938
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
It's a little of both. They got lucky to get in in 2008 but the rest of the years they've earned it, though the rest of the division could have presented more of a challenge.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #1939
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
It's a little of both. They got lucky to get in in 2008 but the rest of the years they've earned it, though the rest of the division could have presented more of a challenge.
they better hurry and win it all.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #1940
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I like Martz the guy and he can pretty creative as an offensive coordinator. He does need someone to tell him "no" or he'll get crazy. If Martz can teach Cutler to have some restraint and learn to play within himself, he could realize his potential. Otherwise Cutler will continue to flatline. With that line and that offense in it's first year, though, I expect Jay to throw upwards of 30 picks this year.
I think Martz has helped more on the WR side than with Cutler. They are running crisper routes and not giving up on plays. Haine was tearing up duh bears secondary the day I went to camp they really seemed to work on the routes and finishing plays but Hester wasn't on the field that day.

Last year there were guys who were not the primary target not running crisp routes or going all out. This year ALL the WR's are more into the plays and vs Oakland when a play in the redzone broke down due to the rush Cutler was able to buy time while Knox worked the back of the endzone for a TD. Last year that would have been a bad pick.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #1941
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
they better hurry and win it all.
Didn't you hear? No Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill this season. The window has already closed!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #1942
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Cutler is going to get his brain beaten in this year behind that line the Bears got
Martz loves his seven step drops and his timing routes that take 5 seconds to develop
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #1943
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

DIE JAY CUTLER DIe
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #1944
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Didn't you hear? No Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill this season. The window has already closed!!!
I haven't watched SD this pre season. how do you guys look?
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:56 PM   #1945
BMF Bronco
Offseason sucks...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ME

Am I the only one in the NFL world that doesn't quite understand the hype surrounding Vince Young? Um, he's still going to suck, he had a decent run at the end of last year but I am not convinced he can carry it through the entire season.
BMF Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #1946
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF Bronco View Post
Am I the only one in the NFL world that doesn't quite understand the hype surrounding Vince Young? Um, he's still going to suck, he had a decent run at the end of last year but I am not convinced he can carry it through the entire season.
I'm with you on that one, it's a wait and see approach with Young. I think he's just as erratic as they come.

Besides, isn't this the year that Kerry Collins is supposed to be the starter? They trade off every year it seems.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #1947
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
I haven't watched SD this pre season. how do you guys look?
Running game looks 1000x better. Mathews looks like the real deal.

The passing game has been modified to do more quick passes. Rivers hasn't attempted a deep pass yet. No doubt this is to take the pressure off of Dombrowski at LT and because they don't have Jackson to throw to.

On defense, Cason and Cam Thomas, who both need to contribute big, are having a good pre-season so far. The d-line rotation they have now looks very strong as they've been stuffing the run so far (#1 rushing defense). The pass rush still looks to be anemic though, unless they bring a heavy blitz. The one concern that I have is that Jammer hasn't looked like his solid self so far. I don't know what's going on there.

But overall I think the defense should be an improvement over last year, if they can continue to stop the run.

In a strange way, it might be a blessing in disguise that Jackson and McNeill are holding out. I've been waiting for a more ball control offense from them. And it will play well with the defense being strong against the run. Maybe a little return to Martyball, if you will.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #1948
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF Bronco View Post
I'm with you, I don't see what the hype is all about
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #1949
Bronco Yoda

Quote:
So basically they dominated division when the other teams were down, but couldn't win a Superbowl.
That about sums it up.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 PM   #1950
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Rams fear Donnie Avery won't play again in 2010

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...again-in-2010/

Posted by Mike Florio on August 26, 2010 10:48 PM ET

Though the diagnosis can't be confirmed without an MRI exam, the early news regarding the knee injury suffered by Rams receiver Donnie Avery isn't good.

Adam Caplan of FOXSports.com reports that the Rams fear receiver Donnie Avery, who injured his right knee against the Patriots on Thursday night, will miss the rest of the season.

As Caplan explains it, team doctors can check for loose ligaments via manipulation of the knee.

Without Avery, the job of catching passes from Sam Bradford or A.J. Feeley or someone else will fall to Laurent Robinson, Keenan Burton, Mardy Gilyard, Danny Amendola, Jordan Kent, Brandon Gibson, Brandon McRae, Dominique Curry, and/or Danario Alexander.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote