The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #1676
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
It's time for the annual, "Who will be the last draft pick to sign?" question.
Joe Haden
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #1677
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Dez Bryant won't carry Roy Williams' pads

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...williams-pads/

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 25, 2010 8:39 PM ET

NFL rookies are often required to carry veterans' pads as a sort of training camp hazing ritual. But Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant wants no part of it.

Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com reports that Roy Williams gave his pads to Bryant today, and Bryant refused to carry them.

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

Bryant says this isn't a case of a first-round pick thinking he's above an NFL tradition. Instead, it's about a player who says he won't tolerate being treated badly.

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing," Bryant said. "I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]."

But Williams says Bryant was wrong to refuse his request.

"Everybody has to go through it," Williams said. "I had to go through it. No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie. I carried pads. I paid for dinners. I paid for lunches. I did everything I was supposed to do, because I didn't want to be that guy."

Although the Cowboys' decision to draft Bryant was widely viewed as a sign that the team is less than thrilled with Williams' performance, both Bryant and Williams have steadfastly insisted that there's no bad blood between them. That stance of unity between Bryant and Williams lasted through all of two days of training camp.

UPDATE: After seeing this item, Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman weighed in on Twitter about what Williams' next step should be.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #1678
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Does this really surprise anyone
Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #1679
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Titans sue Lane Kiffin, USC

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ne-kiffin-usc/

Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2010 5:27 PM ET

Folks in Tennessee have been fuming about Lane Kiffin for months. After all, he took over the state's flagship college football program in 2009, stayed for a year, and then jumped to USC as soon as the job came open.

More recently, Kiffin and USC has angered the state's pro football team by hiring running backs coach Kennedy Pola, who was under contract with the Titans.

The Titans, as it turns out, are heeding the sage advice of Doug Llewellyn.

Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reports that the Titans have sued Kiffin and the Trojans for "maliciously" interfering with Pola's contract with the Titans. Pola also has been sued for breaching his contract.

Though college football coaches routinely regard contracts as meaningless documents that can be disregarded at will, the reality is that most -- if not all -- American jurisdictions recognize a claim for tortious interference with contractual relations, giving a team like the Titans the ability to sue another team like the Trojans that induces an employee to break an existing contract. (If another NFL team had taken Pola, the remedy would have arisen under the league's tampering rules.)

The lawsuit does not specify an amount of financial damages, and the Titans apparently do not attempt to force Pola to remain employed by the Titans. In cases of this nature, damages would be determined by tabulating the actual losses incurred by the Titans in having to scramble to replace Pola. Punitive damages also could be available.

In most cases, football teams move on after an assistant coach is pilfered by another program. It doesn't mean that teams don't have the ability to pursue legal relief.

To the likely delight of everyone in Tennessee, the Titans have.

Meanwhile, Titans coach Jeff Fisher has rocketed to the top of the Al Davis wish list.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #1680
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Titans sue Lane Kiffin, USC

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ne-kiffin-usc/

Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2010 5:27 PM ET

Folks in Tennessee have been fuming about Lane Kiffin for months. After all, he took over the state's flagship college football program in 2009, stayed for a year, and then jumped to USC as soon as the job came open.

More recently, Kiffin and USC has angered the state's pro football team by hiring running backs coach Kennedy Pola, who was under contract with the Titans.

The Titans, as it turns out, are heeding the sage advice of Doug Llewellyn.

Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reports that the Titans have sued Kiffin and the Trojans for "maliciously" interfering with Pola's contract with the Titans. Pola also has been sued for breaching his contract.

Though college football coaches routinely regard contracts as meaningless documents that can be disregarded at will, the reality is that most -- if not all -- American jurisdictions recognize a claim for tortious interference with contractual relations, giving a team like the Titans the ability to sue another team like the Trojans that induces an employee to break an existing contract. (If another NFL team had taken Pola, the remedy would have arisen under the league's tampering rules.)

The lawsuit does not specify an amount of financial damages, and the Titans apparently do not attempt to force Pola to remain employed by the Titans. In cases of this nature, damages would be determined by tabulating the actual losses incurred by the Titans in having to scramble to replace Pola. Punitive damages also could be available.

In most cases, football teams move on after an assistant coach is pilfered by another program. It doesn't mean that teams don't have the ability to pursue legal relief.

To the likely delight of everyone in Tennessee, the Titans have.

Meanwhile, Titans coach Jeff Fisher has rocketed to the top of the Al Davis wish list.
This will be an excellent test case for the coaches contracts in the NFL. The NFL coaches do not have a union and they are not afforded any serious protections by signing an NFL contract. They are basically one sided deals with no signing bonuses like the players get.

TEN will really struggle to prove their case here, especially with an impending lockout on the horizon. USC will just make the best efforts to stall any proceedings until the start of a lockout next year. Then, I bet they argue the contract was one sided as the coaches get screwed because the players are greedy. That would be a great trial to watch....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #1681
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
This will be an excellent test case for the coaches contracts in the NFL. The NFL coaches do not have a union and they are not afforded any serious protections by signing an NFL contract. They are basically one sided deals with no signing bonuses like the players get.

TEN will really struggle to prove their case here, especially with an impending lockout on the horizon. USC will just make the best efforts to stall any proceedings until the start of a lockout next year. Then, I bet they argue the contract was one sided as the coaches get screwed because the players are greedy. That would be a great trial to watch....
Even if Lane and U$C win this case , Kiffen has proven again how he is one of the biggest POS in coaching.

He could have done this a much different way.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #1682
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Not a good start in Baltimore. RT @duffstar: Ravens CB Walt Harris and rookie DT Terrence Cody didn't pass conditioning test. 31 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Surprise, surprise!!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #1683
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
Not a good start in Baltimore. RT @duffstar: Ravens CB Walt Harris and rookie DT Terrence Cody didn't pass conditioning test. 31 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Surprise, surprise!!
Heard he did well at coney island hot dog eating contest though.
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #1684
dbfan21
Broncos Fan in Florida

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbroncfan View Post
heard he did well at coney island hot dog eating contest though.
rofl!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #1685
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson

Don't run that sh*t this way.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post

Surprise, surprise!!
Champ didn't pass ours last year...
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #1686
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Oro_ View Post
Champ didn't pass ours last year...
There's a slight difference, I'd think.
Attached Images

Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #1687
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

NFL | Chester Pitts scheduled to meet with three teams
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:31:42 -0400

Unrestricted free-agent OG Chester Pitts (Texans) is scheduled to meet with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks this week, a source told NFL Network's Jason La Canfora.

Broncos | Two players waived
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:21:43 -0400

The Denver Broncos have waived LB Bruce Davis and OL Chris Marinelli, reports NationalFootballPost.com's Aaron Wilson.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #1688
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

There is only one 1st round draft pick signed so far....I thought that would be well behind last year's pace....but I went back and looked and last year on this date, there were only 4 first round picks signed.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #1689
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The New England Patriots signed first-round draft choice Devin McCourty to a five-year contract.

The contract for the cornerback from Rutgers is worth $13.2 million with $7.825 million guaranteed, according to his agent, Andy Simms.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #1690
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

That's 2 spots after Tebow I think...

So, based on that, I'm guessing we'll see a 5 or 6 year contract for tebow ranging from 14-16 million and 8-10 mill guaranteed with some sort of QB padding as well.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #1691
azbroncfan
Ring of Famer

Angry guntoting,meateating AMERICAN

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TEBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
There's a slight difference, I'd think.
Those are some b!tch T!T's.

Last edited by azbroncfan; 07-28-2010 at 12:55 PM..
azbroncfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #1692
NYBronc
Ring of Famer

pka young wu

Numbers are in: Raiders first-round pick Rolando McClain signed a 5-year, $40 million contract that includes $23 million guaranteed.
NYBronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #1693
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronc View Post
Numbers are in: Raiders first-round pick Rolando McClain signed a 5-year, $40 million contract that includes $23 million guaranteed.
That makes 3/32 first round picks signed.

I expect several more to be signed today.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #1694
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronc View Post
If $23 mil is guaranteed, that's 57.5% of the contract guaranteed. These rookie salaries are getting outlandish. 3-4 years ago IIRC the percentage guaranteed was nowhere near 60%, more like 33% guaranteed. There's obviously a lot of issues to be discussed in the CBA negotiations, and rookie contracts are certainly gonna be one of them.

There has to be some kind of structure to rookie contracts. Seems to me the NFL is gonna destroy itself if the two sides don't come to an understanding on this issue.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #1695
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
There has to be some kind of structure to rookie contracts. Seems to me the NFL is gonna destroy itself if the two sides don't come to an understanding on this issue.
To be fair, technically there is a very rigid structure in place and there has been for quite awhile when it comes to rookie contracts. There is both a "rookie salary cap" that each team must stay under and there is a definite slotting system from year to year that pretty much dictates 90% of what the contract is going to look like.

I think people are more upset by the numbers and the percentage of the overall salary cap that is allocated to rookies, but for some reason confuse this anger with "a lack of structure" when in reality it's not that at all.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #1696
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver

6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
To be fair, technically there is a very rigid structure in place and there has been for quite awhile when it comes to rookie contracts. There is both a "rookie salary cap" that each team must stay under and there is a definite slotting system from year to year that pretty much dictates 90% of what the contract is going to look like.

I think people are more upset by the numbers and the percentage of the overall salary cap that is allocated to rookies, but for some reason confuse this anger with "a lack of structure" when in reality it's not that at all.
It's really just the top 15 that are out of control. Their value each year is appreciating exponentially and are worth more than the player's real market value. This results in high picks like Vernon Davis being the highest paid tight end in football. He's not even the best receiver on their team. It's ridiculous. They fix the top fifteen and the rest will fall into place.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #1697
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Jared Odrick agrees to terms with the Dolphins

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-the-dolphins/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 29, 2010 3:57 PM ET

Slowly, but surely, the draft picks taken at the bottom part of the first round are beginning to sign.

Defensive lineman Jared Odrick agreed to terms with the Dolphins Thursday, a league source tells PFT. The No. 28 overall pick had a template to work from after Patriots cornerback Devin McCourty signed, but it's a mild surprise Odrick agreed before Miami's second round pick, linebacker Koa Misi.

Odrick was one of our favorite draft prospects, a heady defensive lineman with consistent effort that can line up at multiple positions.

Four first-round draft picks have now signed.

UPDATE: Odrick's five-year deal has $7.133 million in guaranteed money and a maximum value of $13.071 million.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #1698
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Signing Status of First Round Picks:

1 Rams Sam Bradford QB
2 Lions Ndamukong Suh DT
3 Buccaneers Gerald McCoy DT
4 Redskins Trent Williams OT
5 Chiefs Eric Berry SS
6 Seahawks Russell Okung OT
7 Browns Joe Haden CB
8 Raiders Rolando McClain LB - signed
9 Bills C.J. Spiller RB
10 Jaguars Tyson Alualu DE
11 49ers Anthony Davis OT
12 Chargers Ryan Mathews RB
13 Eagles Brandon Graham DE
14 Seahawks Earl Thomas SS
15 Giants Jason Pierre-Paul DE
16 Titans Derrick Morgan DE
17 49ers Mike Iupati OG
18 Steelers Maurkice Pouncey C
19 Falcons Sean Weatherspoon LB - signed
20 Texans Kareem Jackson CB
21 Bengals Jermaine Gresham TE
22 Broncos Demaryius Thomas WR
23 Packers Bryan Bulaga OT
24 Cowboys Dez Bryant WR - signed
25 Broncos Tim Tebow QB - signed
26 Cardinals Dan Williams DT
27 Patriots Devin McCourty CB - signed
28 Dolphins Jared Odrick DT - signed
29 Jets Kyle Wilson CB
30 Lions Jahvid Best RB
31 Colts Jerry Hughes DE
32 Saints Patrick Robinson CB

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 07-29-2010 at 06:23 PM..
Old 07-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #1699
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Sean Weatherspoon comes to terms with Falcons

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-with-falcons/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 29, 2010 4:27 PM ET

Falcons linebacker Sean Weatherspoon has a chance to be the next "Mouth of the South," an excitable first-round Falcons pick that can back up his talk more than DeAngelo Hall ever did.

Weatherspoon made sure he'll get to training camp on Thursday when he agreed to terms on a five-year deal, as originally reported by Jay Glazer of FOX. The Falcons quickly confirmed the news once it was out.

It's uncertain if Weatherspoon will start as a rookie. Mike Peterson looks like the man at Weatherspoon's natural weak side position, so Weatherspoon could possibly challenge Stephen Nicolas on the strong side.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #1700
NYBronc
Ring of Famer

pka young wu

Flozell signs with Pittsburgh according to Schefter.

Pittsburgh strengthening its line. Steelers signed former Cowboys OT Flozell Adams to a two-year contract, according to team official.
NYBronc is offline   Reply With Quote