The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #826
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,543
Default

The Jacksonville Jaguars are nearing a deal for free agent wide receiver Torry Holt, but it has not yet been finalized, sources tell ESPN's Chris Mortensen.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #827
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,527
Default

Bills | Kelsay on the block?
Sat, 18 Apr 2009 13:58:04 -0700
Allen Wilson, of The Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills have floated DE Chris Kelsay's name as a trade possibility, according to a league source.
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #828
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 21,527
Default

Broncos | Hillis says he is close to full strength
Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:35:02 -0700
Gray Caldwell, of DenverBroncos.com, reports Denver Broncos RB Peyton Hillis (hamstring) said he is about 95 percent healthy now and should be completely healthy by the team's next minicamp.
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #829
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Broncos | Hillis says he is close to full strength
Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:35:02 -0700
Gray Caldwell, of DenverBroncos.com, reports Denver Broncos RB Peyton Hillis (hamstring) said he is about 95 percent healthy now and should be completely healthy by the team's next minicamp.
I am glad to see that McDaniels has been mentioning the versatility of Hillis as an asset to the offense.

Good to see he is getting healthy and close to 100%.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 04-18-2009 at 09:32 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #830
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,543
Default

Waters, Gonzalez Not At Chiefs’ Minicamp

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...iefs-minicamp/

Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 18, 2009, 1:12 p.m.

The Kansas City Chiefs’ roll call at minicamp today didn’t include either offensive guard Brian Waters or tight end Tony Gonzalez raising their hands and exclaiming: “Here!”

According to a Twitter report from Kent Babb of the Kansas City Star, neither Waters nor Gonzalez is at practice.

Both players have expressed their respective displeasure with the Chiefs this offseason.

Meanwhile, as expected, running back Larry Johnson is participating in the minicamp.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #831
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,543
Default

http://www.esquire.com/print-this/todd-marinovich-0509

Todd Marinovich: The Man Who Never Was

Good read.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #832
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,307
Default

Ronnie Brown Anyone?
Maybe for a 3rd!
Ronnie Brown On The Block?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2009, 8:04 p.m. EDT

As the 2009 draft approaches, Braylon Edwards isn’t the only top-five pick from 2005 who could be available via trade.

According to Michael Lombardi of NFP, the Dolphins “might be interested” in discussing a trade of running back Ronnie Brown, the second overall selection from that same draft.

Brown is signed through 2010, at base salaries of $3.6 million this year and $5 million next year. It’s also possible that the sixth and final season of his rookie deal is voidable, which is a common facet of rookie contracts given to players taken in the upper reaches of round one.

He rebounded from a torn ACL during 2007 to play in every game last season, rushing for 916 yards and scoring ten touchdowns.

In four seasons, Brown has rushed for 1,000 yards only once, racking up 1,008 yards in 2006.

If Brown were to be moved, the Dolphins likely would try to replace him with a rookie, possibly a mid-round pick who could be counted on to move the chains, if adequate blocking is provided to him.

The Fins currently have $7 million in base salary devoted to the top two spots on the depth chart; Ricky Williams is due to earn $3.4 million this year, the final season of his contract.

AddThis
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #833
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
Ronnie Brown Anyone?
Maybe for a 3rd!
Ronnie Brown On The Block?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2009, 8:04 p.m. EDT

As the 2009 draft approaches, Braylon Edwards isn’t the only top-five pick from 2005 who could be available via trade.

According to Michael Lombardi of NFP, the Dolphins “might be interested” in discussing a trade of running back Ronnie Brown, the second overall selection from that same draft.

Brown is signed through 2010, at base salaries of $3.6 million this year and $5 million next year. It’s also possible that the sixth and final season of his rookie deal is voidable, which is a common facet of rookie contracts given to players taken in the upper reaches of round one.

He rebounded from a torn ACL during 2007 to play in every game last season, rushing for 916 yards and scoring ten touchdowns.

In four seasons, Brown has rushed for 1,000 yards only once, racking up 1,008 yards in 2006.

If Brown were to be moved, the Dolphins likely would try to replace him with a rookie, possibly a mid-round pick who could be counted on to move the chains, if adequate blocking is provided to him.

The Fins currently have $7 million in base salary devoted to the top two spots on the depth chart; Ricky Williams is due to earn $3.4 million this year, the final season of his contract.

AddThis
Not sure what his trade value would be....a 3rd round pick sounds about right....with a late round pick tossed in.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #834
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,543
Default

The Dolphins probably figure that Ronnie Brown will be looking for a huge deal next year and they don't want to invest franchise money in a back that will be looking at 30 in a few years....they may be thinking of snagging a 3rd and some change for him before he walks with no compensation.

If I were the Dolphins, I would keep him.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #835
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 16,274

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

Another quality piece by Florio. Repeating the rumor that he may be moved, he may have a voidable final year in his deal (completely forgetting that he'd still be an RFA with only 5 years of service), and he's got no idea what his value might be so he throws out a mid-round pick.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #836
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Another quality piece by Florio. Repeating the rumor that he may be moved, he may have a voidable final year in his deal (completely forgetting that he'd still be an RFA with only 5 years of service), and he's got no idea what his value might be so he throws out a mid-round pick.
Florio throws out a lot of **** and then sees what sticks.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 AM   #837
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,807

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

I'd take Ronnie Brown in a heartbeat! Two years removed from his ACL and he wasn't bad last year. For a 3rd... He'll yeah! He is as good as anyone in this draft at the position and has very good hands.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #838
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,391

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
I'd take Ronnie Brown in a heartbeat! Two years removed from his ACL and he wasn't bad last year. For a 3rd... He'll yeah! He is as good as anyone in this draft at the position and has very good hands.
I hear McDaniels is getting a place in Cabo I'll tell him about Brown when I see him.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #839
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
The Dolphins probably figure that Ronnie Brown will be looking for a huge deal next year
I'd have to ask: based off what?

In four seasons, Brown has rushed for 1,000 yards only once, racking up 1,008 yards in 2006.

His best season was three years ago and wasn't even as good as a Tatum Bell type season when Tatum was sharing his carries. That doesn't exactly scream "huge deal" to me.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #840
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
I'd take Ronnie Brown in a heartbeat! Two years removed from his ACL and he wasn't bad last year. For a 3rd... He'll yeah! He is as good as anyone in this draft at the position and has very good hands.
He doesn't impress me at all. Take away his one monster game against NE last year when they broke out the wildcat offense that had NE completely baffled and he had 800 yds and 6 TDs on the season. He only had 3-100 yard games on the season. Hardly "blow up the skirt" type production if you ask me.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #841
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I'd have to ask: based off what?

In four seasons, Brown has rushed for 1,000 yards only once, racking up 1,008 yards in 2006.

His best season was three years ago and wasn't even as good as a Tatum Bell type season when Tatum was sharing his carries. That doesn't exactly scream "huge deal" to me.
Looking for and getting are two different things.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #842
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,807

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
He doesn't impress me at all. Take away his one monster game against NE last year when they broke out the wildcat offense that had NE completely baffled and he had 800 yds and 6 TDs on the season. He only had 3-100 yard games on the season. Hardly "blow up the skirt" type production if you ask me.
Take away a few games for the Broncos Defense and they didn't suck so bad. Take away a couple wins by the Cardinals and they don't even make the playoffs, let alone the superbowl. That's such a stupid argument, IMO. Even if we did play your game, Ronnie Brown still averaged 4 yards per carry and had over 30 receptions (which he has every year in the league). Keep in mind, he was just coming off an injury. Typically, year two is when a player truly gets back to health. Did I mention he is #230, can break tackles, and runs in the 4.40 range (4.35 combine). If you're all about stats then you probably didn't care for Elway's career passer rating either.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #843
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,583

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

Ronnie Brown was a one man wrecking crew for the hapless 1-15 Dolphins before he got hurt. He had 900+ all purpose yards by like Week 5. And he's been splitting carries with Ricky Williams since then.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #844
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,543
Default

Former St. Louis Rams wide receiver Torry Holt agreed to a three-year deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars on Monday that could be worth as much as $20 million, according to a source.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #845
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Take away a few games for the Broncos Defense and they didn't suck so bad. Take away a couple wins by the Cardinals and they don't even make the playoffs, let alone the superbowl. That's such a stupid argument, IMO. Even if we did play your game, Ronnie Brown still averaged 4 yards per carry and had over 30 receptions (which he has every year in the league).
I'm not talking about a couple of games. I'm talking about ONE game. Big difference there.

And is 4 yds per carry really a benchmark we want to use? Because well over 20 rbs (not even counting the guys with less than 150 carries) accomplished that last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
If you're all about stats then you probably didn't care for Elway's career passer rating either.
Passer rating? Really? That's a poor analogy. Nobody outside of announcers and some media folk EVER talk about passer rating in a serious discussion. QBs still get graded on meaningful stats: TDs, INTs, yards, wins, etc. Tailbacks are no different. You HAVE to take stats into account. Blocking is great but it will only get you so far.

In four years, he's done nothing in this league to indicate he can dominate and take over games. Seriously. Half the journeymen Denver has brought in since TD retired have dominated more games in one season than this guy has in 4 years in the league. And he's injury prone. Why do we need to roll out the red carpet for that when we can easily draft a guy like that in the 3rd round, for a TON less $?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Keep in mind, he was just coming off an injury. Typically, year two is when a player truly gets back to health. Did I mention he is #230, can break tackles, and runs in the 4.40 range (4.35 combine).
Let's not bring up the injury. He was 100% last season. He, the team trainers and his coaches all said so early on (when he didn't seem to struggle at all against NE BTW).

Last edited by Beantown Bronco; 04-20-2009 at 06:45 PM..
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #846
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,586

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
Ronnie Brown was a one man wrecking crew for the hapless 1-15 Dolphins before he got hurt. He had 900+ all purpose yards by like Week 5. And he's been splitting carries with Ricky Williams since then.
His 2007 stats need to be put in some context. Lots of garbage time yards (when they were already out of the game) and not a lot of scores outside of one dominating game (seems to be a trend).

And pretty much every rb in the league splits carries now. Relative lack of production is not an excuse for them.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #847
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,543
Default

Shanahan Eventually To Surface With ‘Skins?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ce-with-skins/

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2009, 9:59 p.m.

As the Washington Redskins continue to prepare for the second year of the Jim Zorn era, we’re hearing ongoing chatter that, come 2010, the head coach of the team will be former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

Of course, the ‘Skins might not end up getting a clear shot at Shanahan. With Cowboys coach Wade Phillips entering the final year of his contract and a new deal unlikely, Jerry Jones likely will be looking for a new head coach, too.

In the end, Shanahan’s final destination might come down to money. Specifically, the question will be the extent to which any team is willing to exceed the $7 million that Shanahan is due to receive from the Broncos regardless of whether he works next season.

So maybe, just maybe, the team’s flirtation with USC quarterback Mark Sanchez has less to do with making an impact in 2009, and more to do with helping set the table for Shanahan in 2010.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #848
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
The Fixer

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 61,391

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Shanahan Eventually To Surface With ‘Skins?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ce-with-skins/

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2009, 9:59 p.m.

As the Washington Redskins continue to prepare for the second year of the Jim Zorn era, we’re hearing ongoing chatter that, come 2010, the head coach of the team will be former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

Of course, the ‘Skins might not end up getting a clear shot at Shanahan. With Cowboys coach Wade Phillips entering the final year of his contract and a new deal unlikely, Jerry Jones likely will be looking for a new head coach, too.

In the end, Shanahan’s final destination might come down to money. Specifically, the question will be the extent to which any team is willing to exceed the $7 million that Shanahan is due to receive from the Broncos regardless of whether he works next season.

So maybe, just maybe, the team’s flirtation with USC quarterback Mark Sanchez has less to do with making an impact in 2009, and more to do with helping set the table for Shanahan in 2010.
Ha, maybe that has something to do with Bowlen steering Cutler away from Washington, did not want to reunite Cutler with Shanahan. Nah!
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #849
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,807

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

I'd rather see Shanny go to Dallas than Washington, but either one has "lose" written all over it. Tough decision. Who would you rather coach, the Skins with Snyder or the Cowboys with Jerry Jones?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:32 AM   #850
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,807

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
His 2007 stats need to be put in some context. Lots of garbage time yards (when they were already out of the game) and not a lot of scores outside of one dominating game (seems to be a trend).

And pretty much every rb in the league splits carries now. Relative lack of production is not an excuse for them.

You can make an argument either way for Ronnie Brown. Last year he was not at full health. It was a surprise that he was able to play as well as he did early in the season. By the time the Pats game came around people were pretty much done talking about his injury, but that doesn't mean he wasn't still feeling the affects from it. Do you disagree that it typically takes a player two years to fully return from an ACL?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Denver Broncos