The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 05:30 PM   #8276
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 19,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
8 million dollars flushed away on Matt Schaub. That's gotta hurt. Not as bad as giving Alex Smith an extension, but still pretty painful.
Didn't they give $15mil to Matt Flynn?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #8277
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 19,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
11 tackles and 3 sacks during the preseason
It's a numbers game....and Sam being less versatile, he was the odd man out. Vickerson had a good pre season too, but he like Sam happen to be on a team with a deep DL
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #8278
ScottXray
Opinionated A******
 
ScottXray's Avatar
 
We will NOT lose!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PDX (Portland OR)
Posts: 7,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Didn't they give $15mil to Matt Flynn?
Seattle.? .no ..9 Million. Imagine that! Shaub is 8 million, Gabbert 8 Milllion.

When you consider those two KC got an absolute steal for Smith at 15 million.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #8279
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 33,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
circle-jerk boner squad
Nope
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #8280
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 19,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Exactly what you mentioned. There were two firm camps on him. The ones who said he was the second coming and the ones who said he sucked. And the more it was discussed, the more entrenched both sides got.

This sorta thing doesn't exist in the sam story
Well actually there is....some who think his preseason body of work earned him a roster spot and those who think his numbers were inflated by playing against guys who were camp fodder
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #8281
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,978

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Well actually there is....some who think his preseason body of work earned him a roster spot and those who think his numbers were inflated by playing against guys who were camp fodder
Come on, no one really gives a ****. There's no factionalism here. Stop creating any
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #8282
Kaylore
Three Lombardis
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
This one's for Pat

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 50,677

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Yeah I think he played well enough to develop on a practice squad at least. That whoever took him was going to be nagged incessantly by the media about a marginal player hurt him. That he doesn't play special teams has hurt him more. I still feel like he's worth a practice squad spot.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #8283
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 25,189

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I'm not "pushing" anyone. I'm saying if you like his talent, the perceived "distraction" shouldn't dissuade you. I don't think there will be any hub bub about a DL on the practice squad
You mean poster like you making a big issue of this, or maybe the media (hello ESPN) talking about Sam showering with the other players and trying to tell everyone how good he is (hello John Clayton), or maybe his reality show on the Opie network?

You know what, this songs for you (its a great song but I digress):

Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #8284
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 24,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Beal doubled Sam's college production and couldn't even make the Broncos roster when we had the worst DL in the NFL. He looked good in preseason too.
Any idea whether or not Ihenacho was good enough to make another squad, or is he out of the league like you confidently announced he was after the Broncos cut him?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #8285
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 33,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Any idea whether or not Ihenacho was good enough to make another squad, or is he out of the league like you confidently announced he was after the Broncos cut him?
Signed by Washington
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #8286
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
IndelibleScribe's Avatar
 
Commitment or Fear

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 23,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
Shouldn't Von be seeing the QB as lamb chops and salivating?
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #8287
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Any idea whether or not Ihenacho was good enough to make another squad, or is he out of the league like you confidently announced he was after the Broncos cut him?
He's not good enough to make the Broncos. I'm also pretty sure the Redskins will drop him off the roster when Brandon Meriweather comes back from suspension in 2 weeks, but thanks for chiming in. I don't wish bad on the kid. Hope he sticks somewhere this year.

I bet you're really upset that the Broncos Defense had a #10 overall DVOA in 2013. Kinda blows your narrative of how bad the Broncos Defense was last year out of the water doesn't it?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #8288
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Michael Shofield sucked at pass pro tonight.
Bet you EatANacho makes the team
You mad bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
16. Duke Ihenacho did nothing as usual. This should be his last game as a Bronco.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #8289
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 
For Gort

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,978

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
You mean poster like you making a big issue of this, or maybe the media (hello ESPN) talking about Sam showering with the other players and trying to tell everyone how good he is (hello John Clayton), or maybe his reality show on the Opie network?

You know what, this songs for you (its a great song but I digress):

How am I making a big issue? AGAIN I said if you believe in his talent, your fears of a "media circus" are overblown. There's no real factionalism with him nor is there a story about a practice squad DE. It'll be news if he gets signed to one and that's the last you'll hear of it. Just like Jason Collins
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #8290
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 33,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
You mad bro?
No Schofield did suck and I was glad to be wrong about Nacho. It was based of media reports about the team playing all over in Special teams packages.

I am glad you were right about Nacho
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #8291
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 25,189

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
How am I making a big issue? AGAIN I said if you believe in his talent, your fears of a "media circus" are overblown. There's no real factionalism with him nor is there a story about a practice squad DE. It'll be news if he gets signed to one and that's the last you'll hear of it. Just like Jason Collins
I don't believe in his talent, he's a classic tweener that doesn't fit in well to a 3-4 or 4-3 defense and he refuses to play special teams. Also, he didn't get a spot on the practice squad because he doesn't practice particularly well. He is what he is, a guy who doesn't particularly dazzle anyone with his physical skill set (he had a lousy combine too) nor his practices, and no one wants to waste a roster spot on him if he won't play special teams.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #8292
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
No Schofield did suck and I was glad to be wrong about Nacho. It was based of media reports about the team playing all over in Special teams packages.

I am glad you were right about Nacho
The day before the Dallas game, another poster asked me what I thought about Ihenacho, and I said, "Ihenahco has 24 hours left in the NFL.". That was my honest opinion about him, but I'm glad he got picked up. Those back-to-back tackles he had in the 1st half against Dallas must have saved him, because he was invisible the rest of the preseason.

What do you think was so bad about Schofield? He didn't give up any sacks or pressures. He looked a lot better than he did against SF. Media was saying he looked horrible too, but I didn't see that. He's not the best run blocker in the world, but he's shown progress. I advocated keeping Cornick as the swing Tackle, because Schofield isn't ready (even though Cornick got shook a couple times against Dallas). And I caught crap for that too.

Last edited by pricejj; 09-01-2014 at 09:05 PM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #8293
mennonite
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Center A.Q. Shipley Takes First Team Reps At Monday’s Colts Practice

http://t.co/khyBNzfhvb






The Colts' starting center, Khaled Holmes, is trying to come back from a high ankle sprain. Shipley was cut by the Ravens earlier this week. He was competing for a backup spot on their roster.
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #8294
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 33,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The day before the Dallas game, another poster asked me what I thought about Ihenacho, and I said, "Ihenahco has 24 hours left in the NFL.". That was my honest opinion about him, but I'm glad he got picked up. Those back-to-back tackles he had in the 1st half against Dallas must have saved him, because he was invisible the rest of the preseason.

What do you think was so bad about Schofield? He didn't give up any sacks or pressures. He looked a lot better than he did against SF. Media was saying he looked horrible too, but I didn't see that. He's not the best run blocker in the world, but he's shown progress. I advocated keeping Cornick as the swing Tackle, because Schofield isn't ready (even though Cornick got shook a couple times against Dallas). And I caught crap for that too.
He was getting beat off the snap a lot, especially in the first quarter. It didn't lead to sacks, but it lead to a lot of pressures and Oz had to either move to avoid the pocket collapse or deliver the pass early. He looked like he was on skates a lot. He got better later, but dint know if that was due to Dallas playing scrubs or he just settled down.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #8295
mennonite
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

J.J. Watt agrees to six-year, $100 million deal with the Texans

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...with-j-j-watt/


Watt’s extension includes $51.876 million guaranteed, the most money ever guaranteed.

Last edited by mennonite; 09-01-2014 at 11:01 PM..
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 PM   #8296
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
"Win from now on" - Elway

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 69,068

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
J.J. Watt agrees to six-year, $100 million deal with the Texans

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...with-j-j-watt/
Guess we know what Von is going to cost.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #8297
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
"Win from now on" - Elway

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 69,068

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut
Default

...and we got 5 days left if we hope to extend DT.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #8298
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,992
Default

Why would they do that 2 years before his rookie contract is up?

Does it take effect after 2015? They certainly don't have any cap space to pay that this year. Head scratcher. Guess they plan on starting backup QB's for awhile.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 PM   #8299
mennonite
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,723

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Yeah, I don't get it either. From the article:

Watt, the 11th overall pick in the 2011 draft, had two years left on his contract, including a base salary of $1.9 million this year and a $6.9 option year in 2015.


Watt had two years left on his contract, and the Texans could have used the franchise tag on him after that.



What incentive did the Texans have for doing this deal now?

Last edited by mennonite; 09-01-2014 at 11:13 PM..
mennonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #8300
baja
Headmaster
 
baja's Avatar
 
"Win from now on" - Elway

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 69,068

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Leo-TailGateNut
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennonite View Post
Yeah, I don't get it either. From the article:

Watt, the 11th overall pick in the 2011 draft, had two years left on his contract, including a base salary of $1.9 million this year and a $6.9 option year in 2015.


Watt had two years left on his contract, and the Texans could have used the franchise tag on him after that.



What incentive did the Texans have for doing this deal now?
Maybe they are betting the cap is to greatly increase, so much so this deal will look like a steal in a year.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 AM.


Denver Broncos