The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 04:37 PM   #726
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I think Orlando Pace could very easily pull a Willie Roaf and give a team 3 or 4 decent/good years when everyone thought he was done.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #727
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I think Orlando Pace could very easily pull a Willie Roaf and give a team 3 or 4 decent/good years when everyone thought he was done.
I don't know about that. Pace is pretty beat up and seem to reach of life-cycle on his knees.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #728
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
I don't know about that. Pace is pretty beat up and seem to reach of life-cycle on his knees.
People were saying the same thing about Willie Roaf.

Pace played in 14 games last year and was only called for 2 penalties and gave up only 2 sacks.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #729
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

BURNETT BOLTS THE ‘BOYS FOR THE BOLTS

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2009, 9:22 p.m. EDT

Cowboys linebacker Kevin Burnett, an unrestricted free agent, has agreed to terms with the Chargers, according to Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News (via David White of the San Francisco Chronicle).

We’ve separately confirmed that, indeed, the deal is done.

Burnett has been primarily a reserve for his four-year career, starting only four games in four NFL seasons.

He was a second-round pick of the Cowboys in 2005, when Bill Parcells was the head coach. By all appearances, however, Parcells’ current team (the Dolphins) didn’t make a play for Burnett.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #730
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

BROWNS RELEASE JUREVICIUS

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2009, 8:11 p.m. EDT

The new regime in Cleveland is pushing its luck.

On the heels of rounding up a bunch of players who were collectively good enough to get Eric Mangini fired as head coach of the Jets, the Browns have parted ways with a hometown hero.

Gone is receiver Joe Jurevicius, a veteran wideout who grew up in Mentor, Ohio, rooting for the Browns.

“These types of decisions are always difficult ones, especially with someone like Joe, who has meant a great deal to the Cleveland Browns organization and to the fans of Cleveland,” G.M. George Kokinis said. “Eric and I have had extensive conversations with Joe and his representatives. In the end we were unable to reach an agreement that was in the best interests of both parties. We want to thank Joe for his contributions to the Browns and wish him the best of luck in the future.”

That’s code for the notion that the Browns wanted to pay Jurevicius a lot less than the $2.4 million base salary he was due to receive in 2010, along with any other roster or reporting or workout bonuses that might have applied. It’s unclear what the Browns were willing to pay, and what Jurevicius wanted.

Jurevicius missed all of the 2008 season after developing a staph infection following arthroscopic knee surgery. He had said that he plans to play one more year before retiring.

The former Penn State standout joined the Giants in 1998, and also played for the Buccaneers and the Seahawks. He has played in two Super Bowls, losing XXXV as a member of the Giants and winning XXXVII with the Bucs.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #731
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

OWENS STAKES CLAIMS TO NUMBER 81

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2009, 11:29 p.m. EDT

The first skirmish involving receiver Terrell Owens might not involve Trent Edwards or any other quarterback on the team.

Instead, T.O.’s initial victim in Buffalo could be receiver James Hardy, the person to whom number 81 was issued last year.

In his first Buffalo radio interview, with our pals Shredd and Ragan of 103.3 WEDG, Owens made it clear that 81 belongs to him.

Asked whether he’ll be wearing the only number he’s worn throughout his NFL career, Owens said, “Yes I am. . . . That’s my number.”

Owens then was asked whether he has worked out a deal with Hardy, which is typically the custom when a new player wants to finagle a jersey number that already has been issued to another player on the roster — and which typically entails a sizable cash payment to the player currently in possession of the number.

It was a simple “yes” or “no” question. But Owens opted not to answer it directly.

“When I walked into the building for the first time and they showed me around and I walked into the locker room,” he said, “first thing I saw was a locker and it had the number 81 with Owens . . . on the back and I had some other Buffalo swag hung up in the locker room. As far as working deals out, I don’t know. That’s not my department. I think Russ [Brandon] the General Manager, he’ll have to deal with that.”

Translation? “I ain’t payin’ Hardy sh-t.”

Owens’ name continues to be absent from the team’s official roster — and Hardy’s name on the roster continues to reflect that his assigned number is 81.

Meanwhile, the team is now selling jerseys with Owens’ name appearing over the number 81.

Some might think it’s a small matter. But football players can be very territorial about their numbers. Just ask Clinton Portis, who was sued by Ifeanyi Ohalete after Portis promised to pay $40,000 for number 26 with the Redskins and stiffed Ohalete out of half of it after Ohalete was cut.

That said, Hardy doesn’t have a long history with 81; he wore 82 at Indiana, which Josh Reed wears with the Bills.

Still, it’s the principle that could take on a life of its own. If the team is willing to automatically take Hardy’s number and give it to another player without so much as a head’s up, the message to the rest of the players is that the front office and the coaching staff will cater to T.O.’s every wish and whim.

So if the team doesn’t handle this specific situation properly, it could make it even harder for a guy with a history of locker-room issues to be properly accepted by his newest set of teammates.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #732
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

CARDINALS SHOPPING BOLDIN

Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2009, 3:59 p.m.

Kurt Warner might get to keep his $2 million, after all.

A league source tells us that the Arizona Cardinals are shopping receiver Anquan Boldin to potential trade partners.

Warner recently has suggested that he’d devote a portion of his salary to signing Boldin to a new contract. (We don’t think Warner really means it.)

Boldin, a six-year veteran, is signed through 2010. He has wanted for roughly a year a significant increase from his current range of $2.5 million to $3 million.

With teammate Larry Fitzgerald at $10 million per year, Boldin is believed to want at least $9 million annually.

Boldin previously has requested a trade. At one point after the Super Bowl, Boldin said that he would not sign a new deal with the Cardinals, and that he wanted to be dealt to a new team. More recently, he had softened in his position, expressing a willingness to consider a new long-term contract to stay with the team.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #733
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

BROWNS CUT SHAFFER

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 12, 2009, 6:13 p.m. EDT

The Cleveland Browns cut starting right offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer today rather than pay him a pending $1.5 million roster bonus, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Per a source, Caplan reports that the Browns created $1.45 million in salary-cap room for 2009. Yet, the team will still be forced to hold $4.56 million in dead money due to the proration of the guaranteed money remaining over the final four years of his contract.

Agent Alan Herman, who represents Shaffer, said that the Browns are still interested in possibly re-signing Shaffer.

Ryan Tucker is expected to replace Shaffer in the starting lineup.

According to NFL.com, Shaffer started 15 games for the Browns last season. In seven NFL seasons, Shaffer has started 86 games.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #734
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shaffer might not be a bad option at right tackle for a team like Kansas City.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #735
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

TEXANS RE-SIGN FERGUSON

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 12, 2009, 6:34 p.m. EDT

The Houston Texans announced today that they have re-signed veteran safety Nick Ferguson, a transaction that retains a nine-game starter from last season.

Last season, Ferguson recorded 52 tackles with one fumble recovery and one forced fumble.

According to NFL.com, Ferguson has 265 career tackles and seven interceptions in nine NFL seasons.

Ferguson took a long road to the NFL, playing initially for the CFL’s Sasketchewan Roughriders and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and NFL Europe’s Rhein Fire after going undrafted out of Georgia Tech.

The 34-year-old had previous stints with the Denver Broncos and New York Jets prior to signing with the Texans last year.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #736
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Good for Nick....looks like he might get another year in the NFL.

He fought his way into the NFL and has stuck around for almost a decade.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #737
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

JULIAN PETERSON THE NEXT VETERAN TO BE CUT?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 9:12 a.m.

The purge of high-priced veterans that began roughly a month ago still continues.

KJR-AM in Seattle reported Friday that the Seahawks soon will release linebacker Julian Peterson.

Signed through 2012, Peterson is due to earn $6.5 million in base salary this year, $7.5 million in 2010, $8 million in 2011, and $8.5 million in the final year of the deal.

Per Mike Sando of ESPN.com, Peterson has declined to reduce his salary.

The team’s alternative offer isn’t known, but Peterson’s agents would be wise to find out whether someone else would pay Peterson more than that before telling the Seahawks to stick it.

So, basically, that seven-year, $54 million contract that Peterson signed amid much fanfare three years ago is, in the end, a three-year, $23.5 million deal.

And that’s precisely why league insiders typically focus on the three-year payout when assessing the real value of a contract.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #738
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

REDDING TRADE TALKS CONFIRMED

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 12:04 p.m.

Our pal Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com reports that, indeed, the Detroit Lions are in talks that would send defensive tackle Cory Redding to the Seahawks.

Kowalski reports, and we’ve confirmed, that the deal would ship linebacker Julian Peterson to Detroit.

We’re told that the Lions also would get a draft pick.

For now, the team isn’t talking. “We have nothing to confirm at this time,” Lions spokesman Bill Keenist told Kowalski.

Absent a restructuring by either player, the teams would essentially be swapping more than $30 million each in future salaries and bonuses. But, as we pointed out earlier, the hidden benefit is that the bonus acceleration will allow them to chew up extra 2009 cap space at no actual cost.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #739
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

GALLOWAY SIGNS WITH PATRIOTS

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 14, 2009, 3:11 p.m. EDT

The New England Patriots have signed former Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Joey Galloway to a one-year contract, according to Steve Duemig of WDAE in Tampa.

In four starts last season, Galloway caught 13 passes for 138 yards. In 2007, he caught 57 passes for 1,014 yards and six touchdowns.

According to NFL.com, Galloway has registered 682 career receptions for 10,710 yards and 77 touchdowns in 14 NFL seasons.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #740
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

SAME OLD LIONS?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2009, 7:35 p.m.

With multiple reports that the Seattle Seahawks were going to cut linebacker Julian Peterson after he refused a pay cut, the Detroit Lions opted not to wait for the inevitable release of Peterson.

Instead, they packed up a starting defensive lineman and a fifth-round pick in order to inherit the back end of the puffed up contract paid three years ago to Peterson, who’ll be 31 in July.

The move has renewed criticism of the Lions in league circles.

“If you went 0-16 would you trade a pick and a good young player for a 31 year old?” one league source asked us.

(Actually, if we went 0-16, we’d cash in whatever remaining chips we could scrape together and find a new line of business to screw up over an extended period of time.)

We’ve largely forgotten about the Lions because there are no games for them to lose in March, but league insiders still point to the franchise as a shining beacon of pro football ineptitude.

The arrival of former Jags V.P. of player personnel James Harris has done little to improve the front office’s image in league circles.

“[G.M. Martin] Mayhew is bad enough in trying to evaluate talent,” one source opined. “Instead of one guy not knowing what he’s doing now you have two guys doing the same routine.”

In fact, one league insider has been referring to Mayhew and Harris as the “Millen Twins.”

But there’s possibly good news on the horizon. Some league insiders expect that new coach Jim Schwartz will try to make a power play, if he can win at least five or six games in the wake of last year’s humiliating season.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #741
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

JAGUARS RELEASE MATT JONES

Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 10:49 a.m. EDT

The Jacksonville Jaguars have given receiver Matt Jones plenty of chances to live up to the hype that made the converted quarterback a first-round draft pick nearly four years ago.

Apparently, drinking beer while golfing was the last straw.

According to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, the Jaguars have released Jones, two days after he was released from jail.

Jones was jailed for five days after testing positive for alcohol as part of the diversion program that allowed him to avoid felony cocaine possession charges.

It’s fitting that Mort would report what could be the final bit of news regarding Jones’ NFL career, given that Mortensen gushed in March 2005 regarding the player’s potential.

Said Mortensen at the time: “Matt Jones won’t be among the top 10 players selected in the April 23-24 draft, but I will venture to say that he’ll play in more Pro Bowls than almost any of those guys. And I will laugh, knowing I told you so.”

For the record, Jones has played in, um, zero Pro Bowls.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #742
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
JAGUARS RELEASE MATT JONES

Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 10:49 a.m. EDT

The Jacksonville Jaguars have given receiver Matt Jones plenty of chances to live up to the hype that made the converted quarterback a first-round draft pick nearly four years ago.

Apparently, drinking beer while golfing was the last straw.

According to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, the Jaguars have released Jones, two days after he was released from jail.

Jones was jailed for five days after testing positive for alcohol as part of the diversion program that allowed him to avoid felony cocaine possession charges.

It’s fitting that Mort would report what could be the final bit of news regarding Jones’ NFL career, given that Mortensen gushed in March 2005 regarding the player’s potential.

Said Mortensen at the time: “Matt Jones won’t be among the top 10 players selected in the April 23-24 draft, but I will venture to say that he’ll play in more Pro Bowls than almost any of those guys. And I will laugh, knowing I told you so.”

For the record, Jones has played in, um, zero Pro Bowls.
This loser was a Mane 'darling' before the draft. I need to go look up who was on his jock so I start the harassment.

What a waste of natural ability.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #743
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
This loser was a Mane 'darling' before the draft. I need to go look up who was on his jock so I start the harassment.

What a waste of natural ability.
I thought he was going to be a damn good player.

He started to put it together last year.

65 catches for 761 yards and 2 TDs in 12 games.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 03-16-2009 at 05:16 PM..
Old 03-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #744
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

CARDINALS LAND JASON WRIGHT

Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 7:50 p.m. EDT

The Arizona Cardinals filled the void when J.J. Arrington signed with the Broncos in free agency, signing Browns free-agent Jason Wright on Monday.

The team announced that Wright has signed a two-year deal.

John Clayton of ESPN.com reports that the deal is worth $2 million.

Wright served primarily as a third-down back for the Browns. Per Clayton, he could fill the same role in Arizona.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #745
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Did'nt want to start another thread.........but was Cassell signed to an extension? Basically are we going to see this **** again?
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #746
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

ORLANDO PACE VISITING BALTIMORE

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2009, 8:44 p.m. EDT

On the same day that Ravens G.M. Ozzie Newsome was quoted in the Baltimore Sun as saying that the team had no plans to bring in any tackles, they Ravens . . . are . . . bringing in . . . another tackle.

According to our friend and (for a day last month) colleague Tom Curran of NBCSports.com, free-agent right tackle Orlando Pace will be visiting the Ravens on Wednesday.

Pace, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1997 draft, was cut last week by the Rams after 12 seasons in St. Louis.

“Hey, I’m always looking to improve this football team,” Newsome said Monday. “At this point, we have no plans to bring in any tackles.”

Technically, Newsome’s statement was accurate. At that point, they had no plans to bring in any tackles.

At this point, they apparently do.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #747
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
Did'nt want to start another thread.........but was Cassell signed to an extension? Basically are we going to see this **** again?
I hope not....he will be average at best next year in Kansas City.

I am hoping they give him a big fat new deal.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 03-17-2009 at 06:31 PM..
Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #748
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

well if they didn't they are on the hook for 14 mil.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #749
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
well if they didn't they are on the hook for 14 mil.
Aren't extensions signed right away with a franchised player just for that reason. Why are they waiting? Just seems a little weird but we are talking about the cheeps here!
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #750
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

SAINTS ACQUIRE DARREN SHARPER

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 18, 2009, 6:34 p.m.

The New Orleans Saints have agreed to terms with veteran free agent safety Darren Sharper, according to a league source.

Sharper last played for the Minnesota Vikings and visited the Saints after the free agent signing period commenced.

According to NFL.com, Sharper recorded 69 tackles and one interception last season. The 33-year-old is entering his 13th NFL season and has 564 career tackles and 54 interceptions.

UPDATE: The Saints have announced that Sharper has officially joined the team.

“We are pleased to announce the addition of Darren to our team,” Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis said in a statement. “Darren is an accomplished veteran player that brings a wealth of knowledge and ability to our secondary and has always possessed outstanding instincts and playmaking skills.”