The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #701
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

SPRINGS TO SIGN WITH PATS

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2009, 2:50 p.m.

Last year, the New England Patriots lost a cornerback to Philadelphia, when Asante Samuel jumped to the Eagles on the first day of free agency.

This year, the Pats have managed a small measure of revenge, winning the two-team derby with the Eagles for the services of veteran corner Shawn Springs.

According to Shalise Manza Young of the Providence Journal, Springs is expected to sign with the Patriots.

Springs was released last Friday by the Redskins.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #702
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

PAYMAH VISITING RAVENS

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 5, 2009, 2:13 p.m.

Denver Broncos free agent cornerback Karl Paymah is visiting the Baltimore Ravens today, according to Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com.

A league source has confirmed to us that Paymah is currently meeting with team officials at the Ravens’ training complex after arriving in Baltimore today.

Per the article, Payman is regarded as a reserve cornerback who excels on special teams.

He washed out as a starting cornerback in place of an injured Champ Bailey last season and was benched after two starts with the Broncos installing rookie Josh Bell in his place.

The 26-year-old former third-round draft pick from Washington State has started five games in four NFL seasons.

He recorded 39 tackles last season and one interception. For his career, Paymah has registered 101 tackles and three interceptions.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #703
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

EAGLES SHIP GREG LEWIS TO NEW ENGLAND

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2009, 4:17 p.m. EST

The Eagles made a move with a receiver on Thursday — but not the move that the PFT Planet-influenced poll hoped to see.

The Patriots have acquired Lewis in a trade with Philadelphia, along with an undisclosed pick in the 2010 draft.

In exchange, the Eagles picked up an undisclosed selection in the 2009 draft.

Lewis, who has 23 career starts and 90 total appearances, has a history with the Pats. In Super Bowl XXIX, Lewis caught a fourth-quarter touchdown pass, cutting the New England lead to 24-21. It was Lewis’ first career touchdown.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #704
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Saints finish deals with Greer, Henderson
Both players receive four-year contracts
Thursday, March 05, 2009

Saints officials hit two free-agency goals Wednesday, returning one offensive player to the fold and filling a glaring need in the secondary.

Around midday, the team re-signed veteran wide receiver Devery Henderson and a few hours later signed Bills cornerback Jabari Greer.

Each agreed to four-year deals.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #705
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

HONOLULU -- The Pro Bowl is returning to Hawaii.

The Hawaii Tourism Authority board voted 9-1 on Friday to accept the NFL's offer to return to the islands.

The board rejected two previous proposals, but under mounting pressure reconsidered its latest refusal to pay the NFL $4 million a year to host the all-star game at Aloha Stadium in 2011 and 2012.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #706
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

PACKERS|UNLIKELY TO ACQUIRE PEPPERS
Fri, 06 Mar 2009 16:42:40 -0800

Pete Dougherty, of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, reports the Green Bay Packers likely will not trade for Carolina Panthers DE Julius Peppers.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Last edited by Traveler; 03-07-2009 at 03:24 AM..
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #707
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

PAYMAH KEEPS MAKING THE ROUNDS

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2009, 9:10 p.m.

Broncos free-agent cornerback Karl Paymah has been drawing interest in several cities.

He recently traveled to Baltimore, and is expected to visit with the Vikings next week.

In between, he’ll squeeze in a trip to Tampa, according to our friends at Pewter Report.

Paymah has appeared in 60 games during his four-year career, and he has started five games.

The Bucs need a replacement for Philip Buchanon, who signed with the Lions earlier this week.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 AM   #708
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

PACMAN GETS INTO A PROS VS. JOES FIGHT

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2009, 5:46 p.m.

Adam “Pacman” Jones continues to find new and innovative ways to harm his chances of ever playing in the NFL again.

A free agent after being cut by the Cowboys, Jones is participating in Spike TV’s latest incarnation of Pros vs. Joes, a contrived competition between has-been and never-were professional athletes.

According to Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, who attended one of the sessions, Pacman and one of the “Joes” got into a fight not long after said “Joe” made like Sheldon Brown on Reggie Bush during a game of three-on-three football in full pads.

The hit came from Dan Adams, a former linebacker at Holy Cross who once made 21 tackles in a single game. Pacman had been calling Adams “Waterboy,” and Adams apparently imagined that Pacman had called him “needled–k.”

A few minutes after the hit, the two started punching each other, and they had to be separated. (I have an image in my mind of co-host Jay Glazer clinging to someone’s leg, a la Jeff Van Gundy.)

“He hit me 10 yards out of bounds, kind of a cheap shot,” Adams said. “I couldn’t sit there and not retaliate. You’ve got to have some pride and dignity.”

Pride and dignity? That would be a first for Pacman.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #709
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

RAMS “TRYING LIKE HELL” TO TRADE PACE

Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2009, 10:03 p.m. EST

The end of the road could soon be coming for tackle Orlando Pace in St. Louis.

But before the Rams cut the No. 1 overall pick in the 1997 draft, they’re doing everything they can to get something of value in exchange for his services.

Per a league source, the Rams are “trying like hell” to trade Pace.

After injuries limited Pace to eight games in 2006 and only one in 2007, he started 14 in 2008. But with the Rams moving forward, guys like Pace who won’t be part of the future are destined to be let go.

It’s unlikely that any team would take Pace via trade absent a new contract. Currently, he’s due to earn $5.975 million in 2009, $7.175 million in 2010, and $8.375 million in 2011.

Our guess? Pace soon will be released, and if he wants to continue his career he’ll have to take a lot less money than he is due to earn this season.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #710
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

NO TAKERS FOR GARCIA, LEFTWICH, LOSMAN, GROSSMAN

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2009, 12:52 p.m.

In a week that saw quarterbacks like Dan Orlovsky, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chris Simms, and J.T. O’Sullivan secure gainful employment, former starters Jeff Garcia, Byron Leftwich, J.P Losman, and Rex Grossman can’t get a sniff.

So what gives? Though each of the latter quartet remains sufficiently skilled to secure a spot on a depth chart, no one is biting.

Garcia, while long in the tooth, has played well if not spectacularly the past two seasons. Leftwich looked good during his cameo appearances in 2008, despite that catapult-slow release. Losman looks like Adam Sandler. (That’s the only semi-good thing we could come up with about J.P.) And Grossman recently helped keep Jim Rome’s legendary “Rex Streak” alive. (DiMaggio is starting to get nervous.)

Each guy arguably is better than Wrong-Way Orlovsky, Fourth-Down Fitzpatrick, O’Crappy J.T., and the son of a Super Bowl winner who has thrown roughly as many passes as his dad in the past two years.

It makes no sense. Then again, not much about the free-agent market is making much sense to us now.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #711
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

BREES ADMITS TO RECRUITING L.T. TO N.O.

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2009, 10:48 a.m.

In an interview with XX 1090 AM (via SportsRadioInterviews.com), one of the radio stations in his old stomping grounds of San Diego, Saints quarterback Drew Brees recently addressed the current contract impasse involving the Chargers and running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

And if Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith ever smiles (then again, he never does), he surely wasn’t smiling after hearing what Brees had to say.

Following what seemed like 20 minutes of Brees talking about nothing that was all that compelling or humorous (with the exception of something about his wife once asking him if he had a sausage in his pocket), Brees addressed L.T.’s status.

As to whether Tomlinson should accept a reduction from the $6.725 million salary that he’s due to earn in 2009, Brees was unequivocal.

“I don’t think he should accept less money from the Chargers at this point,” Brees said, “because look at his track record . . . . Many people could say he had a decline this year, but I disagree with that. He was banged up for the majority of the year, and I think that’s just part of the game at times.

“I mean the guy hasn’t missed one start his entire NFL career, so if you’re going to sit here and tell me he’s, you know, not a durable guy, then you’re crazy. Like I said I think he’s still got a lot of motivation. I think he’s got a lot of fight and fire left in him. And you know he can still be a very productive player. So I don’t see any reason why he should be taking a pay cut at this point.”

So if Tomlinson refuses to take a pay cut, Brees would love to be reunited with his former San Diego teammate.

“I mean, come on, it’s an easy question,” Brees said. “I’d love to have him in New Orleans. I’d love to be his teammate again. I think L.T.’s got a lot of great years left in him so we’ll see what happens.”

Brees also admitted to having conversations with Tomlinson, and that the conversations have touched on L.T.’s status.

And Brees at first became very coy when asked point-blank about whether he has made it known to Tomlinson that Brees would like to have him in New Orleans.

“For me, I’m just waiting for the opportunity if he is available to come and snatch him,” Brees said.

As to the specific issue of whether Brees has shared that sentiment with Tomlinson, Brees was surprisingly candid.

“I think that’s pretty obvious, don’t you think?” Brees said.

Then reminded of the tampering rules, Brees said it was “just two buddies talkin’ on the phone.”

Yeah, and soon it could be two buddies playin’ some football together, again.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #712
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

MCFADDEN JOINS CARDINALS

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 8, 2009, 5:46 p.m. EDT

Pittsburgh Steelers free agent cornerback Bryant McFadden has agreed to a two-year, $10 million contract with the Arizona Cardinals, according to a league source.

McFadden received $5 million in guaranteed money, compensation that will be paid out entirely during the first year of the deal.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #713
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

TITANS TO TAKE A LOOK AT TORRY?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2009, 5:10 p.m.

Though they didn’t take a run at receiver Terrell Owens, the Tennessee Titans might decide to take a run at Torry Holt, who likely will be cut soon by the Rams, according to Terry McCormick of the Nashville City Paper.

The Titans know Holt all too well — he was a rookie in 1999 when the Rams beat Tennessee in Super Bowl XXXIV.

Holt is likely to be cut before a roster bonus comes due on March 17. He has asked to be traded or released.

McCormick also writes that the Titans might be eyeballing a veteran quarterback, given the recent departure of Chris Simms for Denver.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #714
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Torry Holt would be a solid pickup for the Titans if he is released.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #715
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

ANOTHER ARREST FOR MATT JONES

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2009, 7:43 p.m. EDT

Just as the “Days without an Arrest Meters” was hours away from getting back to double digits, Jaguars receiver Matt Jones has been arrested, again.

A reader has forwarded to us this link to the Washington County, Arkansas Sheriff’s office, which shows that a man named Matt Jones, a 25-year-old white male with brown hair and blue who stands six feet and five inches from the ground and weighs 205 pounds and having an address in Jacksonville, Florida, was arrested at 6:21 p.m. CDT for possession of a controlled substance.

Jones is listed on the Jags’ official web site as 6-6 and 216 pounds. He’s also 25.

We suppose there’s a chance that it’s not the same Matt Jones as the one from Arkansas who plays for the Jacksonville Jaguars, especially since a mug shot as of this posting has not yet been posted with the arrest information.

If it is Jones, he could be in big trouble with the NFL, and the law. Last year, he was arrested for felony cocaine possession, but agreed to enter a diversion program, which among other things requires him to stay out of trouble.

He also was suspended three games by the NFL.

So if the Matt Jones from Arkansas who plays for the Jags is the same Matt Jones of identical age and similar dimensions and Jacksonville address who was arrested within the past half hours in Arkansas, he’s got a big problem.

UPDATE: The mugshot is now posted. Yep, it’s him.

SECOND UPDATE: Jones also apparently is charged with violating the terms of his probation.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #716
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
PACMAN GETS INTO A PROS VS. JOES FIGHT

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2009, 5:46 p.m.

Adam “Pacman” Jones continues to find new and innovative ways to harm his chances of ever playing in the NFL again.

A free agent after being cut by the Cowboys, Jones is participating in Spike TV’s latest incarnation of Pros vs. Joes, a contrived competition between has-been and never-were professional athletes.

According to Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, who attended one of the sessions, Pacman and one of the “Joes” got into a fight not long after said “Joe” made like Sheldon Brown on Reggie Bush during a game of three-on-three football in full pads.

The hit came from Dan Adams, a former linebacker at Holy Cross who once made 21 tackles in a single game. Pacman had been calling Adams “Waterboy,” and Adams apparently imagined that Pacman had called him “needled–k.”

A few minutes after the hit, the two started punching each other, and they had to be separated. (I have an image in my mind of co-host Jay Glazer clinging to someone’s leg, a la Jeff Van Gundy.)

“He hit me 10 yards out of bounds, kind of a cheap shot,” Adams said. “I couldn’t sit there and not retaliate. You’ve got to have some pride and dignity.”

Pride and dignity? That would be a first for Pacman.
what an idiot
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #717
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:

Just as the “Days without an Arrest Meters” was hours away from getting back to double digits, Jaguars receiver Matt Jones has been arrested, again.

A reader has forwarded to us this link to the Washington County, Arkansas Sheriff’s office, which shows that a man named Matt Jones, a 25-year-old white male with brown hair and blue who stands six feet and five inches from the ground and weighs 205 pounds and having an address in Jacksonville, Florida, was arrested at 6:21 p.m. CDT for possession of a controlled substance.

Jones is listed on the Jags’ official web site as 6-6 and 216 pounds. He’s also 25.

We suppose there’s a chance that it’s not the same Matt Jones as the one from Arkansas who plays for the Jacksonville Jaguars, especially since a mug shot as of this posting has not yet been posted with the arrest information.

If it is Jones, he could be in big trouble with the NFL, and the law. Last year, he was arrested for felony cocaine possession, but agreed to enter a diversion program, which among other things requires him to stay out of trouble.

So if the Matt Jones from Arkansas who plays for the Jags is the same Matt Jones of identical age and similar dimensions and Jacksonville address who was arrested within the past half hours in Arkansas, he’s got a big problem.

SECOND UPDATE: Jones also apparently is charged with violating the terms of his probation.
I hope this guy has someone in his life that can help him. Sounds like he needs help.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #718
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Another individual with all the talent in the world, who is going to piss it all away.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #719
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

REPORT: UFL TO CHASE VICK

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2009, 10:37 p.m.

Last year, UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue was candid regarding his league’s desire to offer an opportunity to Falcons quarterback Mike Vick, who might very well be suspended for a year (or more) after being released from federal custody in July.

Last month, Huyghue backed off considerably, suggesting that the UFL would bow to the will of the fans.

Are there any?

Apparently, there are — and Huyghue apparently has consulted with them.

And they apparently want Vick.

According to Howard Balzer of the Sports Xchange, the UFL is believed to be plotting a run at Vick.

The only potential impediment would come from a decision by the Falcons, if they don’t release him, to invoke the language in his contract preventing him from playing in any other league while on suspension.

But assuming the Falcons don’t cut Vick, perhaps they’d be able to conjure a trade market for 2010 by letting Vick run circles around the slappies that will be populating the UFL.

Then again, Michael Vick playing in the UFL would give the league even more credibility than the initial slate of head coaches (Ted Cottrell, Jim Fassel, Dennis Green, Jim Haslett), whom Balzer points out will be paid $500,000 each per year.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #720
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 View Post
Another individual with all the talent in the world, who is going to piss it all away.
Thank goodness we did not grab this guy in the draft.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #721
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

PATS PICK UP BODDEN

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2009, 3:35 p.m.

On the heels of inking free-agent cornerback Shawn Springs, the Patriots have hauled in another veteran defensive back.

According to Christopher Gasper of the Boston Globe, the Pats have agreed to terms with cornerback Leigh Bodden. Per Gasper, it’s a one-year deal.

Bodden visited the Pats on February 27, the first day of free agency. (If it was reported, we didn’t notice, probably because we were trying to put out the server fire.)

He spent five years with the Browns before being traded to the Lions last year as part of the Shaun Rogers deal. But the Lions cut Bodden last month, on the first day for releasing players.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #722
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Falcons took the first step toward revamping their linebacker corps on Tuesday morning, reaching an agreement with unrestricted free agent Mike Peterson.

Peterson 32, will sign a two-year contract, league sources confirmed; financial details were not immediately available. Peterson visited with team officials and coaches on Monday and Tuesday.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #723
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

ST. LOUIS -- Orlando Pace, the seven-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle who was dogged by injuries in recent seasons, has been released by the St. Louis Rams.

The 33-year-old Pace was the first overall pick of the 1997 draft. The move on Tuesday cleared $6 million in cap space for the Rams, after they were 2-14 last season.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #724
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
TITANS TO TAKE A LOOK AT TORRY?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2009, 5:10 p.m.

Though they didn’t take a run at receiver Terrell Owens, the Tennessee Titans might decide to take a run at Torry Holt, who likely will be cut soon by the Rams, according to Terry McCormick of the Nashville City Paper.

The Titans know Holt all too well — he was a rookie in 1999 when the Rams beat Tennessee in Super Bowl XXXIV.

Holt is likely to be cut before a roster bonus comes due on March 17. He has asked to be traded or released.

McCormick also writes that the Titans might be eyeballing a veteran quarterback, given the recent departure of Chris Simms for Denver.
Why in the heck are the Rams trying to get rid of Holt? The logic of the game makes no sense to me anymore...
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #725
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Torry Holt would be a solid pickup for the Titans if he is released.
He'd also be a solid pickup for the Broncos if he's released as insurance for a Brandon Marshall suspension, assuming that he wouldn't be looking for too much $.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote