The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #6851
CEH
Ring of Famer

The basketball players still make about 3x more in endorsements than the other 3 leagues combined thanks to shoe sales.
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #6852
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
The basketball players still make about 3x more in endorsements than the other 3 leagues combined thanks to shoe sales.
Is that true? I don't pay attention to this sort of thing, but I'd imagine that only a handful of guys are getting these big shoe sales endorsements, similar to Peyton plastered everywhere.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #6853
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Is that true? I don't pay attention to this sort of thing, but I'd imagine that only a handful of guys are getting these big shoe sales endorsements, similar to Peyton plastered everywhere.
Jesus! Kobe Bryant making 42 million a yr just in endorsements.

PM only made 13 million last yr in endorsements.

Last edited by peacepipe; 03-24-2014 at 09:22 AM..
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #6854
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
Jesus! Kobe Bryant making 42 million a yr just in endorsements.

PM only made 13 million last yr in endorsements.
No kidding? I don't think I've even heard the name Kobe Bryant since his rape case.

I don't watch basketball, so I guess I'm just missing all these ads.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #6855
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
basketball, tennis and golf makes all the money on endorsement. mike and mike in the mornings was comparing all top money makers as far as endorsement. Peyton, Lebron, Federer, Tiger, Jeter and Ronaldo are tops at their respective sport.

Here is a comparison for you.

Peyton (12mil), Jeter (9mil), Earnhart (13mil), and Serena Williams (12mil) who are all at the top when it comes to endorsements in their respective sport in America barely tops Lebrons 42mil, but looses to Tiger and Federer who are both at 65mil.

I think the social class of the sport makes a huge difference on how much you get paid rather than the popularity the player.

Roger Federer has 1,080,000 followers on twitter and makes 62mil in endorsements. That's nearly $60 per follower. Ronaldo has 22,800,000 followers on twitter, yet only makes 21mil in endorsements. Thats a paltry .92 per follower.

of the top 10 earners, 5 are either golf and tennis player. top 20, 10 are golf or tennis player. Think about it, soccer has by far is the most watched sport, but their top earner is at #9 at 21mil compared to that of Tiger at 65mil. If Ronaldo played Golf, with his charisma and good looks, he could easily top 100 mil.

Then there is basketball. its the shoes...

http://opendorse.com/top-100-highest...rsers-of-2013/

SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #6856
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

^ one of the top posts of the off-season. Repped.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #6857
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
Ronaldo has 22,800,000 followers on twitter, yet only makes 21mil in endorsements. Thats a paltry .92 per follower.
Further proof that women don't pay for a damn thing.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #6858
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Further proof that women don't pay for a damn thing.
thats not true, look at Andre Agassi. He was always the top earner for tennis and always around the #2 or #3 mark each year and always behind Jordan when it comes to endorsements. Yet he wasn't really successful on the courts until he was in the later stages of his career.

I stand behind my statement that if Ronaldo played golf or tennis and he dominated the sport like he does in soccer, he could top $100mil a year.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #6859
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
thats not true, look at Andre Agassi. He was always the top earner for tennis and always around the #2 or #3 mark each year and always behind Jordan when it comes to endorsements. Yet he wasn't really successful on the courts until he was in the later stages of his career.

I stand behind my statement that if Ronaldo played golf or tennis and he dominated the sport like he does in soccer, he could top $100mil a year.
While I was joking above, it's even simpler:

Golf, tennis and basketball = major, major shoe and equipment sales to adults and teens with lot's of disposable income and a huge pool of participants.

Soccer = parents buying the cheapest cleats they can find for their little kids. 99% of which are done playing by the time they could fit into Ronaldo's/Messi's endorsed cleats.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #6860
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Golf, tennis and basketball = major, major shoe and equipment sales to adults and teens with lot's of disposable income and a huge pool of participants.

Soccer = parents buying the cheapest cleats they can find for their little kids. 99% of which are done playing by the time they could fit into Ronaldo's/Messi's endorsed cleats.
I partially agree with the, but soccer is pretty serious in some wealthy suburban areas. The "travel" soccer leagues in particular. Fancy adidas uniforms, often endorsed, and the kids with all the top notch gear and parents who are competing to make sure their kid has the best stuff.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #6861
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
basketball, tennis and golf makes all the money on endorsement. mike and mike in the mornings was comparing all top money makers as far as endorsement. Peyton, Lebron, Federer, Tiger, Jeter and Ronaldo are tops at their respective sport.

Here is a comparison for you.

Peyton (12mil), Jeter (9mil), Earnhart (13mil), and Serena Williams (12mil) who are all at the top when it comes to endorsements in their respective sport in America barely tops Lebrons 42mil, but looses to Tiger and Federer who are both at 65mil.

I think the social class of the sport makes a huge difference on how much you get paid rather than the popularity the player.

Roger Federer has 1,080,000 followers on twitter and makes 62mil in endorsements. That's nearly $60 per follower. Ronaldo has 22,800,000 followers on twitter, yet only makes 21mil in endorsements. Thats a paltry .92 per follower.

of the top 10 earners, 5 are either golf and tennis player. top 20, 10 are golf or tennis player. Think about it, soccer has by far is the most watched sport, but their top earner is at #9 at 21mil compared to that of Tiger at 65mil. If Ronaldo played Golf, with his charisma and good looks, he could easily top 100 mil.

Then there is basketball. its the shoes...

http://opendorse.com/top-100-highest...rsers-of-2013/

bro also you need to look at the sponsors and the deals that each received. Where did Tiger and Jordan make their money (nike). Where does PFM make his money (papa J's?). Pretty sure Federer is the face of rolex and several other luxury items.
rmsanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #6862
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
broncosteven, I think you're missing Cuban's point. He's talking mostly about the increase in NFL broadcasts on days other than Sunday. It used to be that Sunday was NFL football day, which made it special. Then they added a Monday night game. Now they sometimes have 2 games on Monday and 2 on Thursday. What's next? The product just isn't as "special" when it's on multiple times a week. Would Christmas be as much fun if we had it every month?
Is Baseball or Basketball or even Hockey any less special?

To be honest I would rather be able to see more games live on different days.

Still sounds like Cuban is pissed at the NFL for not giving him a franchise.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #6863
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
I partially agree with the, but soccer is pretty serious in some wealthy suburban areas. The "travel" soccer leagues in particular. Fancy adidas uniforms, often endorsed, and the kids with all the top notch gear and parents who are competing to make sure their kid has the best stuff.
Both of my kids are in park district leagues in an upper middle class area. I buy them the cheapest shoes (Nike usually) I can find them as they grow out of them so fast. I get them the cheapest shin guards that they don't grow through as often. For the price of the league fee they get socks, shorts, and a uniform top which are nice.

Other than maybe a chair for the wife and I as they wear down or break we don't really spend money on anything else.

I will look at Sports Authority for sales and I bought my pre-teen daughter some undergarments for her jersey that she would grow into only because they were on sale for a great price. The kids have sweats but if I find them in the clearance rack and they are growing out of them I will pop for it but really other than <$20 for shoes each year there isn't much expense.

I have friends with kids in travel and they don't need much either but they do seem to actually wear their shoes out sometimes rather than grow out of them.

Oh and there is the cost of a ball which they have until they change sizes as they get older and the balls get bigger. Again not a huge or frequent outlay.

The cost is really joining the league and any Tourney fees that they decide to enter. Tourneys are nice because the kids get shirts and my daughter loves to wear her tourney tee's around the house and I haven't had to buy her athletic black shorts because she gets a new pair every year and they last her for years.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #6864
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Is Baseball or Basketball or even Hockey any less special?
I would say yes, they are "less special". Their seasons are too long and have too many games, so individual games are less important. Because of this, and probably other factors, their TV ratings are considerably lower. I would expect that if the NFL oversaturates the schedule with games their ratings will also drop, but because of the shorter season and more meaningful games they will stay higher than baseball/basketball/hockey.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #6865
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Both of my kids are in park district leagues in an upper middle class area...
You're demonstrating common sense, something many people don't do!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #6866
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 3m
Broncos coach John Fox did say on ESPN Insiders the team has not closed door on return by Knowshon Moreno.
Price must be right, obviously
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #6867
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Cuban is right.
No he's not. Reason being there's 7 months between the end of the Super Bowl and the start of the next season. People are itching for it to start back up again by the time it kicks off. So what if there's NFL football on 3, sometimes 4 nights a week during the 5 month long season? During baseball season, there are games on TV EVERY night. He's right about the league getting a little greedy, but it's popularity is stronger than it's ever been. Until these guys are running around out there playing tag, the NFL will reign on.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #6868
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 3m
Broncos coach John Fox did say on ESPN Insiders the team has not closed door on return by Knowshon Moreno.
Price must be right, obviously
Damn I would love this. I still want a big RB in the draft either way though.
Elway has played the market perfectly.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #6869
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Eagles are going to sign Buttfumble.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...delphia-eagles
Old 03-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #6870
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Former Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito has said he would love to play for the Raiders. The Raiders aren’t totally opposed to the idea.

Raiders owner Mark Davis didn’t say the Raiders are definitely interested in signing Incognito, but he did say he would “have to think about” it.
Raiders to look into signing Igcognito
Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #6871
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Eagles are going to sign Buttfumble.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...delphia-eagles
I don't get what Kelly is trying to accomplish this offseason?

Sure he is depth but can you trust Dirty to run a high speed O and make the right reads and calls should Foals go down?

Might be better off with a rookie that Kelly can develop on his own.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #6872
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
I don't get what Kelly is trying to accomplish this offseason?

Sure he is depth but can you trust Dirty to run a high speed O and make the right reads and calls should Foals go down?

Might be better off with a rookie that Kelly can develop on his own.
I think Kelly wants a proven backup to Foles. Barkley isn't exactly lighting the world on fire and do you really think Kelly will trust him to run the team in a playoff run?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #6873
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Every single NBA player makes serious bank on shoes. Occasionally you will actually hear (or at least I heard it in the 80s a few times) that so-and-so has been signed to a 10-day contract, he'll be at practice "as soon as his shoe deal is wrapped up."

... and speaking of fringe players becoming visible, Mark Sanchez is suddenly a hot commodity. Giants, Eagles, Browns, Rams, Titans, Seahawks all mentioned as possible destinations ... with the Titans even dangling a starting spot.

Earlier tonight, Sanchez was the topic of 7 out of 9 Rotoworld blurbs ... and because two of our former starting QBs were the other two, I thought I'd post the string:

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #6874
Bronc0guy
Struttin' that ass

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
No kidding? I don't think I've even heard the name Kobe Bryant since his rape case.

How dare you not keep up with the black mamba . Life long Kobe\Laker fan. I'm sure I'll get s*** for that.
Bronc0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #6875
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I find that hard to believe since he has won a couple titles since he stuck it in her ass unwilling. Lol He has washed rape rep under the rug as much as I hate to admit and I don't like the guy.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote