The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Default The Outdoors/Nature Thread

A thread to talk about all things outdoors/nature related.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Just signed up for scuba certification...first time rolling in the deep will be this summer when we do our open water dives. I am looking for good suggestions for gear as I just bought some hard sole tusa boots today.

2015 - Scuba certification & Grand Teton Crest Trail (40mi)
2016 - Philmont Trip (78mi)
2017 - 13 dives scheduled (3 night dives) in Florida

With my 2 oldest sons...going to be fun next 2-3 years!!! But truly, if anyone has done these or wants to hit the Tetons in Late July, send me a PM. We have room for up to 13 and only 7 going thus far.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I've been hunting for morel mushrooms in the spring ever since I was a little boy.

It's my favorite two or three week time of the year....it usually starts at the very end of April and a few weeks into May, although it started a little later this season in NW Ohio.

Different parts of the country start later/earl, depending on location.....they start coming up earlier down south.

Northern Michigan is know as the hallowed grounds of morel hunting, but I do well in NW Ohio.

Here is my haul of morel mushrooms and a few Dryad's Saddles (polyporus squamosous) that I found today.

Morels sell for about $50 a pount fresh in the stores, but I cook up a bunch and give the rest away to old timers in the neighborhood.

Any other morels/other mushroom hunters on the board?

204 morels, which is an excellent one day haul:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Old 05-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

wow that's sweet...good haul
Old 05-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I predict somebody will mention something about sun eating or sun gazing in this thread
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I predict somebody will mention something about sun eating or sun gazing in this thread
Not before mud falcons though...
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
69bronco
Ring of Famer

All time great

69bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I love this time of year everything turning green, Spring Turkey Season, Crappie Spawn, Camping..........Good times
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
pricejj
jungle

Bill Walton 4 Mod

First time I've ever seen it rain, sun, hail, and snow all in the same day. Gotta love Colorado!
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

I just had a job interview at the local paper, but was told they wouldn't decide until their last two applicants interview next week. I plan on going out and doing some long trail hiking and camping. Weather permitting, I'll be able to test out this gift I got for my birthday:

Still have $50 on my gas card and a piggy bank filled with change, so I plan on going somewhere next weekend (hopefully I hear good news on the job which will make my experience more fun) to test it out. I love camping and being outdoors. Forecast looks good (70s, low in 50s), but a chance of rain each day.

Also got this too on my birthday, a Gerber Gator Machete.

My pack is pretty much complete. I have two of them so I'll decide if I'm going with the external or internal frame, likely internal frame for this adventure. Will take pictures. Thinking of going back up north to the Sheyenne Grasslands. I pretty much owned that place last summer and fall, but there are places there I haven't even got to touch. Excited about doing so.

Last edited by Requiem; 05-09-2015 at 08:42 PM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #11
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Sounds like a lot of fun if it doesn't rain next weekend I'll be hitting the lake to do some fishing!!!
Old 05-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #12
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shane Ray

The MS Gulf Coast is fairly nice this time of year. We get a swarm of mosquitoes, termites, gnats and horseflies, but the temperature and humidity aren't quite unbearable yet.

I'm kind of a bamboo enthusiast, and being this far south, I can grow some semi-tropical type clumping bamboos. My parents actually want to move back to MS from Colorado because they miss being able to garden in March. We have really diverse plant & tree life down here.

If you're into hunting and/or fishing, southern MS & southern Louisiana are great places for it.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
pricejj
jungle

Bill Walton 4 Mod

Req, is that a hammock?
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #14
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Req, is that a hammock?
Yep, Yukon Outfitters, earth tone, with a mosquito net. Packs less than a pound, as does my fleece sleeping bag. I have a 5 x 7 tarp that fits in a little pouch too, so shelter is very easy and lightweight. I'm a pretty big minimalist camper. My food and water National Wildlife bag weighs more than those. A picture of that is below, I got it for $1 at a thrift store.

I have a Frostline day pack which I attach to my internal frame pack, which is a classic from Broomfield, CO that I found at a thrift store for $1. I've seen them on EBAY and ETSY as much as $100 for what I have. Mine is green, but basically the same thing.

I put my first aid kit, gloves, wool socks, fire starting materials and other randoms in there, like flashlights, headlamp, glow sticks, paracord, etc. Absolute bargain find and something that has a lot of memories no doubt. What stories does the pack have from another person? I couldn't believe I found it. I took a roll of quarters and go absolutely everything I needed to complete my kit at the St. Francis thrift store in town, as well as a few camping and outdoors books as well.

What doesn't fit in there goes into my Northwest Territories fanny pack () -- this is a picture from online, but mine has leather on the top and bottom.

I currently rock the Swiss Alps / Wenger SA pack, the mini day-pack above attaches to the top of this on the outside:

I'm not sure what it is liter wise for size, but it's 26" x 14", which is roughly 50L or 3000 cubic inches. It can be compressed and includes a rain cover. I got it for $40 and they can't be found anymore (one exists online I've seen) and they want double the price. It fits most everything I need, I'd just like more storage for some other things for extended trips. The only hassle is if I bring a tent, I have to bungee it and a blanket to the outside of the pack, which can be done, but it isn't at study as I would like.

None of my gear is packed loose, which saves a ton of space. It has enough loops and hooks where I can simply tie my hammock and fleece sleeping bag on the outside, which means all the serious stuff can go inside of it. Everything has a small sack, compression bag or water proof storage container. It is awesome.

The only thing I really lack is a cool, modern portable cooking stove and a solar charger. Other than that, I'm set -- those are luxuries anyways. It has done me very well everywhere I go and has no signs of wear and tear. I carry that animal tooth (wolf), a dream catcher and an old dutch shoe antique on the side of it (homage to my grandma) just for looks.

My secondary pack is an external frame. I can't remember the name, maybe it shows up on the picture, but it is vintage. I got for $5 at the Salvation Army, they sell for $50-$100 online on EBAY and mine is in better condition than most. Just need to lube up the zippers and sew up some of the pack that has a few little tears. It's pretty comfortable, but I like the bottom of it and how you can attach things to it with ease.

If there is one thing I want to get down the road when I can afford it, it's the AlpsOutdoor Commander Pack:

Would never, ever need to upgrade a pack again and my set would be complete. I never plan on getting rid of any of the stuff I have. So much memories, so much history and they haven't failed me yet. Worth every penny. My complete gear set was less than $100 out of my own pocket, but the value is easily three times that in worth.

Last edited by Requiem; 05-09-2015 at 10:14 PM..
Old 05-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #15
baja
Headmaster

Not 2 shabby isn't good enough-JE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Here is a Bucket List trip for me.

http://arcticwild.com/destinations/yukon-river/
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #16
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Old 05-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #17
Castinkas
Half Full

LOVE them WInLossES

FORE!!!! About 30 rounds so far this year. Still playing ****ty but the tan is coming in nicely.
Castinkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #18
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I just had a job interview at the local paper, but was told they wouldn't decide until their last two applicants interview next week. I plan on going out and doing some long trail hiking and camping. Weather permitting, I'll be able to test out this gift I got for my birthday:

Still have $50 on my gas card and a piggy bank filled with change, so I plan on going somewhere next weekend (hopefully I hear good news on the job which will make my experience more fun) to test it out. I love camping and being outdoors. Forecast looks good (70s, low in 50s), but a chance of rain each day.

Also got this too on my birthday, a Gerber Gator Machete.

My pack is pretty much complete. I have two of them so I'll decide if I'm going with the external or internal frame, likely internal frame for this adventure. Will take pictures. Thinking of going back up north to the Sheyenne Grasslands. I pretty much owned that place last summer and fall, but there are places there I haven't even got to touch. Excited about doing so.
That's a solid machete....you can't go wrong with a Gerber.

I've got a lot of sweet knives and a few nice machetes.

My favorite EDC is probably my SOG-TAC Auto.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #19
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
That's a solid machete....you can't go wrong with a Gerber.

I've got a lot of sweet knives and a few nice machetes.

My favorite EDC is probably my SOG-TAC Auto.
Those SOG's are badass, but really spendy. I have two pocket knives my grandpa had in World War II and I believe some off-brand knife that seems to work well and do what is necessary. It'd be a luxury at this point to get something that nice.

I haven't tried out the Gerber yet. The plastic handle looks weird, but it is double bolted. I can't complain, it was a gift and I'm excited to use it because the saw blade on the back end will come in really handy.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #20
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I have one of these Kershaw Cryo Knives that is dirt cheap at $24.99.

Great EDC at an affordable price.

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Cryo-Knife/dp/B00P6M1WPE
Old 05-10-2015, 12:23 AM   #21
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Another affordable quality knife is this one....it's a fixed blade. A Swedish company makes these Morakniv (Mora) Knives. I've got one and it's a solid quality outdoor knife at a decent price.

You can pick one up for $16.01 plus shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Compa...=swedish+knife

Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife with Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade, 4.1-Inch
Old 05-10-2015, 06:09 AM   #22
Powderaddict
Koolaid Homer

Sissies Ite Domum!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I'm going to be doing a week long motorcycle back country trip in August.

I've been wanting to do something like this for years, I can't wait. 5 of the days we are going to camp, and 2 days stay in a room in Ouray.

Here's the details of the route we are going to take. I'm taking a street legal Kawasaki KLX 250.

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #23
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I've been hunting for morel mushrooms in the spring ever since I was a little boy.

It's my favorite two or three week time of the year....it usually starts at the very end of April and a few weeks into May, although it started a little later this season in NW Ohio.

Different parts of the country start later/earl, depending on location.....they start coming up earlier down south.

Northern Michigan is know as the hallowed grounds of morel hunting, but I do well in NW Ohio.

Here is my haul of morel mushrooms and a few Dryad's Saddles (polyporus squamosous) that I found today.

Morels sell for about $50 a pount fresh in the stores, but I cook up a bunch and give the rest away to old timers in the neighborhood.

Any other morels/other mushroom hunters on the board?

204 morels, which is an excellent one day haul:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I love hunting and eating morels too, especially smothered over an elk steak.

I am in Texas now and the season starts in the middle of March here. It was a great year this spring and I am hearing that from all over the country.
I am through my stock and will have to buy them now so I hope prices will drop do to supply. A local upscale grocery store here sales them for $59/pd.

The best hunt I ever had was when I was kid in Wyoming. We found about 30 pounds of blacks.
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:08 AM   #24
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

it's hot outside.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #25
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Outside?