The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2015, 03:51 AM   #1
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM
Default Kenny Anunike

Is it time to get excited about this guy?

Broncos have been impressed by defensive end Kenny Anunike this offseason

Denver's head coach and star pass-rusher gave high praise to one of the team's young defensive linemen.

As Day 1 of Broncos training camp approaches, there are still a few unanswered questions on the defensive side of the ball.

Perhaps the biggest question is who will replace Derek Wolfe for four games?

A name that came up twice during the team's media BBQ on Thursday was second-year defensive end Kenny Anunike. The 6-5, 260-pound lineman was first mentioned by head coach Gary Kubiak, then by veteran linebacker DeMarcus Ware.

"He's a young guy, hurt his arm last year and he had a whole offseason to really get himself right, and I've seen how hungry he was coming into the minicamp," Ware said of Anunike. "He was right there behind Wolfe and played on both sides, both tackles in the three-four and he was actually out there with the ones sometimes making plays and doing well, so Kenny really stood out to a lot of guys. He's coming along really well."

Kubiak echoed Ware's praise.

"Kenny has been one of our outstanding players throughout our offseason," Kubiak said. "I think Kenny's challenge as a player is size can he hold up physically with his size and what you're asking him to do in a 3-4 look? But he's put some weight on, hopefully we can hang on to that. The effort's there; the ability's there."

Kubiak went on to mention Vance Walker as another potential replacement for Wolfe.

"Vance had a really good offseason. The thing about Vance, he gives us some flexibility. He's going to play some nose also, he's going to play the end position.

"We know that somebody has to replace Derek Week 1. Its like having an injury, somebody has to step up. Its an opportunity for somebody on this football team, and maybe we dont know who that is right now, but well find out along the way. Thats why were here, to go to work and fill those holes."

On the eve of training camp, it sounds like the team has players available that are capable of replacing Wolfe at least temporarily. That belief will be put to the test starting tomorrow morning when the team takes the field at 10.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/7...y-anunike-this
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2015, 05:40 AM   #2
rmsanger
Elway > PFM

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

A new nike

rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

Every year there is a new nike, i hope this one lasts
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
DENVERDUI55
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This year's camp All pro.
DENVERDUI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

this guy has nothing on the claw
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:33 AM   #6
Br0nc0Buster
You honeydicking?

2014 AFW Champs

I think this is the guy from Duke, who I liked a lot coming out of college

If I remember I think he also showed some potential last pre-season

With Q Smith being a bust maybe this guy can step up and grab a spot

Not sure how many OLBs we will keep but I would guess Von, McCray, Ware, and Ray are all locks
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:46 AM   #7
BroncoBuff

My new show will be SCARY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jordan Taylor

Keep your eyes on Jordan Taylor cause he can play ....

And keep your eyes on Dillon Day cause he's .... dreamy!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

The guy definitely put in some muscle. There was a recent video the Broncos put out about a "mom football event" of some sort. Kenny spoke in that video for a little, and he looked pretty jacked. Hopefully, that work in the weight room can transfer to the field.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Jon's our guy for MHR at camp this year and apparently Kenny is the one player they have (coaches, players) been ravin' about like Ray Lewis. It would be nice if he would pan out!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:27 AM   #10
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Been keeping an eye on him but I thought they liked him as an OLB in this system
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

So basically Kenny is what we all hoped Q would have become at DE.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:41 AM   #12
BroncoBuff

My new show will be SCARY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jordan Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
So basically Kenny is what we all hoped Q would have become at DE.
That's a mighty stretch for a pre-camp feelgood fluff piece ....
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #13
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
That's a mighty stretch for a pre-camp feelgood fluff piece ....
Not really, Q was all hype as well due to his ACL injury. We replaced one camp darling with another one.
Granted Kenny might be able to actually do some damage since he is healthy.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Time for the young guns to step up
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
baja
Headmaster

Not 2 shabby isn't good enough-JE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cody Latimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Jon's our guy for MHR at camp this year and apparently Kenny is the one player they have (coaches, players) been ravin' about like Ray Lewis. It would be nice if he would pan out!
Does he write reports similar to what so cal and kaylor and others do for us here
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #16
Guess Who
Rookie

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PMFM

Broncos camp: Kenny Anunike working to be unstoppable

Denver Broncos defensive end Kenny Anunike probably would have made the final roster in 2014 if not for a season-ending injury. This year, hes hoping to do much more than just make the team.

As Derek Wolfe prepares for a 4-game suspension to start the season, the expectation has been that Anunike would get an additional spot on the roster while hes out. His teammates, including Pro Bowl pass rusher DeMarcus Ware, who has spoken very highly of the former Duke Blue Devils pass rusher.

Anunike, however, is no longer sharing positions with his mentor Ware. Hes now playing the defensive end position in a 3-man front, which presents a new challenge all in itself.

First of all, the main thing that Coach Kubiak talked to me about was that I have all of the tools and everything is there, but I need to hold weight because were moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 to a now, Anunike said. So Ive gained since last offseason. Ive gained about 12 pounds, so Im about 272 pounds now. Thats a pretty good weight and Im holding down that three or holding down the four

Some might fear the added weight would take away from what made Anunike such a strong roster candidate last year. He says not only has it not taken away from his speed and quickness, but the weight gain has added to his skills.

Ive maintained my speed. Ive gotten bigger, Ive gotten stronger and Ive gotten faster. Im just using that and implementing everything that [Defensive Line] Coach [Bill] Kollar is teaching me right there on the field. Im learning from my guys like [DE] Malik Jackson, Derek Wolfe and everything that [OLB] DeMarcus Ware has taught me too, and bringing that on the inside to help make myself unstoppable.

One of the most critical offseason additions the Broncos made was bringing on Anunikes defensive line coach, Bill Kollar. Kollar has worked with some great defensive linemen in the NFL, perhaps none better than J.J. Watt in Houston. Anunike says the fire of Kollar has helped bring out the best in him already.

Hes really just bringing the dog out of me. Hes on us. You guys hear him out here every day. Hes the loudest coach we have, and I love that. I love when hes getting on us. Hes making sure that well be the best players that we can for this football team.

Last year, the Broncos obviously loved what they saw from Anunike, and apparently hes made big strides from that this offseason. If he can crack the defensive line rotation, the Broncos might have a lot better depth than some think right now, even in the absence of Derek Wolfe.
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #17
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Guess Who did you write this? If you did and it's published may want to get a link in there. Media type folks get upset at that.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #18
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

This year's Kevin Casper! lol. Seriously, hope the guy is legit. Will help replace Wolfe after the season if true.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:17 PM   #19
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Man that's a small 3-4 DE. I'm wondering if they see him more as a situational pass rush guy or someone who can play in the base D and defend the run.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:16 AM   #20
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

He said in a recent interview he's up to 272lbs. Still light but going in the right direction. He's only 10lbs less than Malik weighs and will probably be brought along the same way.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote