The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Other Sports Discussion > NHL
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #326
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post
Hell, it's better then losing 6 games in a row headed into the playoffs. Get the ugly's out of the way now.
remember dood just before christmas we lost 6 in a row, and then went on to go 13-1-1 , so we are a very streaky team, all it takes is a good streak at the right time, it only takes 16 wins to win the cup come playoff time.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #327
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Totally agree Chad. I firmly believe ANYONE has a chance to get to the finals in the east.
phillybroncosnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #328
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Link
On Briere. Everyone who thinks Danny Briere has been a waste of money needs to take a deep breath.

Of the top three free-agent centers available last summer - Briere, Chris Drury and Scott Gomez - only Gomez has found the right partners on the ice and is on the "plus" side, barely. It took a while for Gomez to achieve that with the Rangers. Both Briere and Drury have not found chemistry, and it's affecting their offensive numbers. Both are minus players.

Of the players who have earned millions of dollars, Briere is the least-defensive-minded center the Flyers have ever had, but the team knew that and accepted it based on his projected offensive numbers.

If Simon Gagne is healthy, this probably is a nonissue. Losing Gagne for much of the season has hurt Briere considerably. Briere should get a one-year pass.
Bronx33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #329
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Coburn in, Lupol out and Downie out. (As I type, Richie just scored a SH goal to tie the game 1-1).

I hate this pattern. Last night we get Upshall back from a 2 week injury and lose Lupol. Tonight we get Braydon Coburn back and lose Downie. WTF!!!!!!!!

Lupol is in a cast with a high ankle sprain. Downie has an "upper body injury".

BTW Bronx, according to the Flyers website, the Flyers have 213 man games lost this season. With Gagne, and Lupol out indefinately, and the uncertainty of Downie's injury, that number will climb quickly. This blows.

We just have to find a way to stay competitive. Just don't fall to far out of the playoffs before the troops get back.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #330
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybroncosnut View Post
Coburn in, Lupol out and Downie out. (As I type, Richie just scored a SH goal to tie the game 1-1).

I hate this pattern. Last night we get Upshall back from a 2 week injury and lose Lupol. Tonight we get Braydon Coburn back and lose Downie. WTF!!!!!!!!

Lupol is in a cast with a high ankle sprain. Downie has an "upper body injury".

BTW Bronx, according to the Flyers website, the Flyers have 213 man games lost this season. With Gagne, and Lupol out indefinately, and the uncertainty of Downie's injury, that number will climb quickly. This blows.

We just have to find a way to stay competitive. Just don't fall to far out of the playoffs before the troops get back.

This is where you find out how deep you are and what youngsters are willing to step it up and well as veterans.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #331
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx33 View Post
This is where you find out how deep you are and what youngsters are willing to step it up and well as veterans.
not very deep if losing 3 forwards makes us put a d man up instead of bringin up somebody.

side note, how is that begin hit any different then downies 20 gamer ? he took a run, at an unsuspecting opponent, and it was a blow to the head while he was jumping off the ice.

i wont even start on what was wrong with the last 10 seconds of the period.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #332
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
not very deep if losing 3 forwards makes us put a d man up instead of bringin up somebody.

side note, how is that begin hit any different then downies 20 gamer ? he took a run, at an unsuspecting opponent, and it was a blow to the head while he was jumping off the ice.

i wont even start on what was wrong with the last 10 seconds of the period.

Huh?
Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #333
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

the guy that hit tolpeko, who yeah had his head down like mccamond, the guy that smith tried to fight with. he was off the ice just as much as downie, tolpeko had his head just as far down as mccamond, and begin took just as much of a run as downie did, it was a clear head shot.

once again i dont think either hit deserves anything more then the 2 minute penalty, BUT why does downie get 20 games for the exact same hit.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #334
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

well that was pathetic, it didnt bother me sucking last week cuz i was on afternoons and didnt waste my time watching the games, im on days this week so they better play better then that or ima be pissed.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #335
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Totally agree about the Begin hit. Whatever though. I guess we can add Tolpeko to the injury list as well. Why won't they call up Ruzicka? I gotta check out his contract. Tolpeka, and Greentree. Ruzicka is by far the best scorer on the Phantoms.
We are now out of the playoffs but I am not surprised. Why Stevens hasn't come under fire I have no clue. The guy's system blows. You can't play a "zone" D at even strength anymore. There's a reason we are grossly outshot every game.
I always thought it was a bad idea to have a passive coach with no experience coaching a bunch of inexperienced players. I'm rambling but I'm grasping here.

Oh yeah, and when did Guy Carbaneau become the Bill Lambeer of the NHL? Does that guy cry like that after every penalty called on his team?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #336
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

yup apparntly downie suffered a concusion last night, i dunno when, and tolpeko is listed as out 7-10 days.

bring on the senaturds

i cant wait to get to work tommorrow and listen to all the damn habs fans, thank god for ipod and ear plugs
Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #337
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
yup apparntly downie suffered a concusion last night, i dunno when, and tolpeko is listed as out 7-10 days.

bring on the senaturds

i cant wait to get to work tommorrow and listen to all the damn habs fans, thank god for ipod and ear plugs

Meh, the Habs aren't going anywhere anyway. So, they bust ur balls now, you bust their balls later. You'll get the last laugh. Besides, judging by this post, their fans are really dumb......

"I am glad Boullion made the Flyers pay for that hit to the head...I am almost 100% sure that will be reviewed by Colin Campbell and whoever laid that hit on Kosboobiesyn...I think it was Upshall? will be suspended...that was a ridiculous shot and the NHL is trying to get rid of that garbage. On a side note...LOVE how begin set the tone and gave whoever that was some frequent flyer miles!!! GO GO"

Wow, talk about bass ackwards! That was from the board you linked earlier. It was the game thread, post 67.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #338
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

ya know being in canada im surrounded by leaf fans and hab fans, last year when we sucked was perfect, neither of them could say a thing cuz they both missed the playoffs, this year the leafs have takin our place, and the habs are actually doing good, which makes there fans all that much more obnoxious .
Old 02-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #339
Bronx33
lets go partner

Rumpson Rocks

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard
Default Kaberle to Flyers?

Just a rumor i found...

Link

By BRUCE GARRIOCH, Sun Media

NAPLES, FLA. - Tomas Kaberle could be on the move.

Two league executives told the Sun talks to send the Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman to the Philadelphia Flyers have intensified in the last 24 hours.

The belief is Kaberle may have been asked to waive his no movement clause and if he agrees a deal could be completed.

Toronto Maple Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher was asked today if he had requested that any of his five players with no movement clauses waive them? He said he hadn't, but admitted there was nothing stopping him from doing that.

"They have no trade clauses so they control their own destiny," said Fletcher.

Fletcher and Flyers GM Paul Holmgren were seen meeting briefly earlier today. They are in Georgia along with the other NHL GMs for their annual mid-season meetings.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #340
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

in more important news, forsberg wont be coming back, thank god, now the team can get on with things.

not sure how i feel about kaberle, depends on what he costs.

also claude giroux is supposed to be an emergency call up for the game in ottawa, just 1 day after taking over the scoring lead in the Q. i hope its true id love to see what he can do.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #341
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

I am excited about Giroux. However, I wish the Flyers would give Ruzicka a look. I think he is more then ready for the NHL.
Kaberle is an interesting name. We've been hearing he is coming to Philly since the Lindros soap opera. I would take him. He's a puck moving defenseman and lord knows, we need another one of those. Every team is looking for one though so I hope there isn't a bidding war for Kaberle. If there is, I don't want to overpay for him. Toronto isn't gonna want a veteren for him so it will have to be a young player or pick. A pick won't take some of the cap hit we will take on. I worry what we may have to give up. Carter is too much to give up, as is Umberger. Maybe Ryan Parent? I hope not. I wouldn't do it.
I got it. I just came up with the player and you won't like it..... Scottie Upshall. His contract is up soon and I don't think he will be resigned anyway.

Would you do Kaberle for Upshall? I think I know you will say no. I would do it though. We have enough young talented wingers. You can never have enough skilled defenseman.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #342
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

i would but i dont think upshall gets the deal done, if i was toronto i wouldnt do that deal. maybe upshall and a third.

i really think they had upshall with briere to try and showcase him to trade him, but i realy dont think hes enough to get a puck moving d man with a resonable price tag.

plus we would still have to clear cap room, so we gotta get hatcher off the books, and probally knuble or kapanen just to fit kabrele under.

dont see it happening, less we trade knuble for a pick then trade upshall and that pick to toronto.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #343
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Chad, did you ever see the Downie/Clarkson fight from about a month ago? Funniest chit I've ever seen. Downie was literally laughing in the dude's face as he was trying to hit Downie. Heres a clip from youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e85uC-vXGyo

and another in slowmo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO9Z5...eature=related
Old 02-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #344
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
i would but i dont think upshall gets the deal done, if i was toronto i wouldnt do that deal. maybe upshall and a third.

i really think they had upshall with briere to try and showcase him to trade him, but i realy dont think hes enough to get a puck moving d man with a resonable price tag.

plus we would still have to clear cap room, so we gotta get hatcher off the books, and probally knuble or kapanen just to fit kabrele under.

dont see it happening, less we trade knuble for a pick then trade upshall and that pick to toronto.
I don't know. Upshall is a pretty good chip. I would throw in the 3rd rounder if thats what they held out for.

Kap's if a fan favorite yet has zero trade value. if you can't get anything for him, they should just keep him to keep the natives happy. Knuble is another story. I look at it this way.... the old saying is sell high buy low. Well, Knuble is a major reason why we were the #1 PP for virtually the entire year (now #2). Mike has 15 PP goals. That should make him very attractive to other teams. We all know he is useless on 5 on 5 because he has no stick handling ability and is slower then my grandmom on skates. When he is able to camp out in front on the PP, he is a beast.
I think you can find any big stiff to fill that role. Hell, throw Hatcher down there on the PP (jk, sort of). I think if we can find a trade partner for knuible, make the deal. i'm not even looking for much in return. Just getting his salary off the books is enough for me.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #345
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

apparently we got modry of the kings for a third rounder, everything ive seen of him tells me hes a bigger slower less physical version of hatcher, god help us.

maybe champ can shed some light on modry for us
Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #346
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:

King fans have hated Modry for YEARS, but on the bright side though he had a solid season thus far. He is consistent as a 5/6 dman. Don't expect much from him, he can be solid and thats it. Probably an OK trade since your looking for depth on D.

What I've been traded to Philly?

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #347
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

thanks champ, hes gotta be better then rory fitzpatrick and jim (turnover) vandermeer
Old 02-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #348
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

Quote:
apparently we got modry of the kings for a third rounder, everything ive seen of him tells me hes a bigger slower less physical version of hatcher, god help us.

Maybe this means Hatcher is done. I've heard worse news in my life.

I swear, Umberger is the second best all around player on this team. Giroux looks very poised out there. You'd never know he is 20.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:58 AM   #349
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I like umberger
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #350
phillybroncosnut
Ring of Famer

The HOF is BLIND!!!

I for one thought Modry looked good. he is was more mobile then Hatcher and can actually move the puck up ice. The Flyers also finally called Stefan Ruzicka up. He looked good in his first game collecting an assist. Giroux looks great.
Richards, briere, Carter and Umberger should be ashamed of themselves. I understand that the massive amounts of injuries have really hurt but all of them HAVE to step it up and not one of them has.
Thank god Vandermeer is gone. I have been pleading for this since his second game back with the Flyers.

We've just picked up an extra $5.2 million of cap money with Gagne being done for the year. with that said, I think the Flyers should be sellers an d not buyers at the deadline. Kapanen, Knuble, and at this point I'd consider trading Jason Smith. I think we are set at D going into next season. Timonen, Coburn, Randy Jones, Parent, Kukkenon, and Andre Picard. We could get a boatload for Jason Smith.

This could go either way. I don't see the Flyers throwing in the towel. The Flyers always have tried to do everything and anything to put a winner on the ice. I would'nt be surprised to see the Flyers go after a Marian Hossa with all that new found cap money, but, I would rather see the Flyers sell though.