The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default Shanny: WWIII will eventually be a starter

Shanahan: Broncos' youth is served
By Mike Chambers
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 09/24/2008 01:29:09 PM MDT

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was riled against the Saints. (AP | Bill Ross)Two relatively young teams will meet Sunday at Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said the difference between his 3-0 team and the 0-3 Chiefs could be the play of his youngsters.

"I'm not exactly sure the way (Kansas City) went about it," Shanahan said of the Chiefs' youth movement. "I just know we've been very fortunate to see our young players and step up and play at the level they've played, and hopefully they can keep it up."

Shanahan pointed to rookie tackle Ryan Clady second-year tackle Ryan Harris as players that have solidified the offensive line, and rookie fullbacks Peyton Hillis and Spencer Larsen, plus rookie cornerback Jack Williams and rookie linebacker Wesley Woodyard, as difference makers on special teams and solid backups with long careers in front of them.

Shanahan also noted rookie receiver Eddie Royal, a no-brainer. Royal is a starter who is second on the team with 18 catches, and a star in the making.

"You look at Ryan Clady, he's playing like a vet, and Ryan Harris, even though he's a second-year player, he had back surgery last year and has come back played the way he has," Shanahan. "And a guy like Eddie Royal, who is playing good on offense and special teams.

"Peyton Hillis and Spencer Larson, both at the fullback position and a couple guys that have played extremely on special teams. And you get a guy like Jack Williams that comes in and proves he can play in the preseason, not only at the corner position but also on special teams.

"Wesley Woodyard comes in and is probably one of our top special teams players that we have and will eventually be a starter at linebacker."

Shanahan wasn't done. He also spoke highly of rookie punter Brett Kern and rookie tackle Tyler Polumbus. "A couple free agents that we had at draftable grades and were able to get them as free agents," Shanahan said.

The bottom line, Shanahan said, is that "we feel very good that these guys are not only part of your 53 (man roster) but part of your 45 that dress on game day."

Mike Chambers: 303-954-1357 or mchambers@denverpost.com

Interesting. Maybe Shanny will switch him to MLB when he gains more weight as I have been clamoring for publicly, as he has no future at WLB. Given these comments and the fact that both OLBs have long term deals, it seems that we may not address MLB early in the draft.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10547611

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He didn't say he'd be a starter in Denver.

I love the way the guy plays though, it would be great to see him excel at the MLB position if he can do it.
Atwater His Ass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Woodyard won't go anywhere...we love our LB's a little too much sometimes. He'll be in the starting rotation next season. I'm not entirely convinced that Nate Webster is an every down linebacker. He is definitely playing with some passion, but we'll need a superstar at MLB soon enough.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco View Post
Woodyard won't go anywhere...we love our LB's a little too much sometimes. He'll be in the starting rotation next season. I'm not entirely convinced that Nate Webster is an every down linebacker. He is definitely playing with some passion, but we'll need a superstar at MLB soon enough.
I dont think the question is will he be a starter ( just a matter of time)... the real question is at what positon will he be playing. DJ is not going anywhere. So is it MLB or Strong Side ?? Position of need is MLB but ... the dreaded question... is he big enough?
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

The article just upset me. I wish Larsen was at MLB. I think Hillis can be the man for years at FB. At least give Larsen a legitimate shot at MLB. Even on the 3rd team at least he'd be getting practice reps.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:44 AM   #6
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Also as much as I like what Shanny is saying, I think we should take it with a grain of salt. There's every chance that he's just trying to give so of the kids some confidence and added motivation.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
Vladimir
#1 Oregon Broncos fan

Go Ducks!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Dawkins!!

I would love to see one of our young linebackers starting in the middle. I am NOT a huge fan of Nate Webster.

If we switch to a 3-4 or 4-4 or whatever we would get to see what they're made of I hope. I am excited to see what they can do.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post

Interesting. Maybe Shanny will switch him to MLB when he gains more weight as I have been clamoring for publicly, as he has no future at WLB. Given these comments and the fact that both OLBs have long term deals, it seems that we may not address MLB early in the draft.
Boss's contract is 5 years, $17.5M with only a $4.3M guarantee.

I don't think he's cemented into his starting job by any means.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:31 AM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

This is good. WWIII gets a chance to continue developing at his pace, and he's going to get a greater opportunity to crack the line-up with our current defensive woes working in his favor.

Let's hope for diamond in the rough. If SOMEONE can step in play the mike at a pro-bowl level here, this team is going to be unstoppable for quite sometime.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap454 View Post
I dont think the question is will he be a starter ( just a matter of time)... the real question is at what positon will he be playing. DJ is not going anywhere. So is it MLB or Strong Side ?? Position of need is MLB but ... the dreaded question... is he big enough?
Id like to see Larsen get a shot at Mike. I have a feeling he will follow the play inside out unlike what you often see with Webster.

Sometimes I wonder if Shanahan is a little to dedicated to insisting that players, in particular young players, practice well. Some guys are just better when its live bullets and in some cases getting that chance leads to more reps which leads to better practice time. I dont know.

BTW, does anyone think of using the 3-4 is either a way to get the younger LB(s) on the field OR a way to minimize the playing time of Robertson...or both. Thats not to say that those are the primary reason but something that might make it more appealing.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Id like to see Larsen get a shot at Mike. I have a feeling he will follow the play inside out unlike what you often see with Webster.

Sometimes I wonder if Shanahan is a little to dedicated to insisting that players, in particular young players, practice well. Some guys are just better when its live bullets and in some cases getting that chance leads to more reps which leads to better practice time. I dont know.

BTW, does anyone think of using the 3-4 is either a way to get the younger LB(s) on the field OR a way to minimize the playing time of Robertson...or both. Thats not to say that those are the primary reason but something that might make it more appealing.
No, it's a way to have opposing QBs line-up, make their pre-snap reads and say "...wtf...?"
Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 AM   #12
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
No, it's a way to have opposing QBs line-up, make their pre-snap reads and say "...wtf...?"
If you read the entire post, the last sentence acknowledged that the items you highlighted were not the primary reason. WTF? Reading is fundamental, dude.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #13
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Robertson is limited by his knee.

If what I saw Sunday was our version of the 3/4, we are ****-ed. I saw 8 guys deep, 4 who were completely lost.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:11 AM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
If you read the entire post, the last sentence acknowledged that the items you highlighted were not the primary reason. WTF? Reading is fundamental, dude.
Likewise. And to think I just told someone that it was safe to take you off ignore. I was wrong. Gotta go apologize.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #15
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Likewise. And to think I just told someone that it was safe to take you off ignore. I was wrong. Gotta go apologize.

I would like to invite you to put me on ignore as well. It would spare me the clean up.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #16
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I would like to invite you to put me on ignore as well. It would spare me the clean up.
Right. Let me re-cap because you're slow.

You asked a question.

I answered YOUR QUESTION without any shred of condescention.

You freak out.

Needless to say, others were right and I was wrong. I gladly accept your invitation.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #17
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

The truth already mentioned is what shanny did not say. He didn't say that woodyard would start at ANY LB position. Mr. Woodshed, meet your new position--safety.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #18
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
The truth already mentioned is what shanny did not say. He didn't say that woodyard would start at ANY LB position. Mr. Woodshed, meet your new position--safety.
Huh? His quote in the article explicitly stated linebacker.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #19
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Huh? His quote in the article explicitly stated linebacker.

*issues retraction and signs up for remedial reading comprehension class*

thanks BB
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #20
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
*issues retraction and signs up for remedial reading comprehension class*

thanks BB
That's what he's here for.

BB is an outstanding clean-up hitter, and the go-to guy for obscurely situational appropriate funny movie quotes.

Really... he's the free safety of the orangemane.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Rev:

Just when I thought you couldn't possibly get any dumber, you go and do something like this........and totally redeem yourself!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 AM   #22
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
That's what he's here for.

BB is an outstanding clean-up hitter, and the go-to guy for obscurely situational appropriate funny movie quotes.

Really... he's the free safety of the orangemane.
Dammit! So i'm back to the "bench cheerleader" again................
Friggen beantown.............
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

My point stands.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Dammit! So i'm back to the "bench cheerleader" again................
Friggen beantown.............
Don't worry. It's only a matter of time before I throw my shoulder out (most likely from tossing my remote against the wall the next time the Bronco defense takes the field) and you're back in there.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #25
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Boss's contract is 5 years, $17.5M with only a $4.3M guarantee.

I don't think he's cemented into his starting job by any means.
Speaking of Boss. Not that it matters for anything, I was just curious...

Boss and Champ both seem to have just 'Bailey' on the back of their jersey. Was wondering why they didn't have to have a first name initial.

Anybody know?
worm is offline   Reply With Quote