At first glance, it seems an easy choice ... but if you look closer, it's not as easy as it seems.
Cheney is more associated with evil, but Gramm has probably caused more suffering among Americans.
- Took advantage of the hick rube George Bush (and his hick rube entourage Karen Hughes, Harriett Miers, Scott McClellan, Alberto Gonzalez) by forging a doctor's clean bill of heart-health, and naming himself VP.
- Along with his demonic entourage (David Addington, Scooter Libby, Donald Rumsfeld, Doug Feith), doctored intelligence to go to war, some say to enrich his friends with billions in no-bid contracts to support wartime armed forces and rebuild Iraq (more and more this is looking like the real reason we went to war in Iraq).
- Claims the VP is immune to subpoenas and National Archiving document requirements, because he's a "hybrid branch" of the government between executive and legislative branches
- Consults privately with Big Oil executives to make US energy policy
- Gramm was the force behind the Enron Loophole legislation that permitted oil to be sold as options like commodities, a change that was the major factor in oil prices jumping.
- Top billing in the "Gramm-Leach-Bliley" legislation that led directly to the current Wall Street meltdown ... deregulating the financial services industry, and took cops off the beat on Wall Street.
- Had something to do with the subprime crisis, the details escape me now
- Called Americans in foreclosure who can't afford gas "a nation of whiners."