|09-20-2008, 08:23 PM||#1|
Ring of Famer
Join Date: Jul 2007
Great book: Boys will be Boys, Dallas Cowboys
I finished the book in one day. Great football book about the 90's cowboys and their quest to become a dynasty.
Some highlights (or lowlights, if you will): IF YOU WANT TO READ THE BOOK, DO NOT READ FURTHER!
* Charles Haley is the craziest mofo in the world. He is like a character out of the HBO series OZ. Among the crazier things he did: a chronic masturbater in the lockerroom, film room, and meetings. Would walk into the middle of the defensive line film meetings, lay in the middle of the room, and start jerking off. And he did this all the time! He would walk upto Joe Montana when he was with the 9ers and say, "you want to blo(w) me, don't you?" He threw used toilet tissue at his position coach. He called Jerry Jones "Masa Jerry." He would pick on EVERY SINGLE TEAMMATE IN THE LOCKERROOM VISCIOUSLY. Just a bully, through and through. But teams dealt with him because he was so good.
* Jerry Jones is a pimp off the field. Parties just as hard as the rest of the team.
* Michael Irvin was the hardest working, hardest partying, most p***Y-getting player on the Cowboys. Would routinely take out rookies to bars, pay the tab, and quickly mind-**** some ladies at the bar to sleep with his teammates. EVERYBODY wanted to hang out with Irvin. Would party all night and be the first guy at practice, and last guy to leave. Truly a remarkable individual.
* Jimmy Johnson really hated Jerry Jones, and the players really didn't like Jimmy Johnson.
* The Cowboys had a house behind their practice facility for all the players to goto to ****ed up on drugs, alcohol, and to sleep with the constant flow of women. Genius.
* Dieon Sanders was lazy in meetings and on the practice field.
* Emmit Smith was all about Emmit Smith. Great running back, but wouldn't even sign autographs for his teammates. Big ego.
* The team really didn't take the next step until Norv Turner arrived and Charles Haley was acquired. The book makes Norv Turner out to be one of the smartest coaches in the league.
* Barry Switzer was considered a baffoon by some of his players, but most of the players and coaches loved the man to death and loved playing for him.
Overall, a great sports book.
|09-20-2008, 09:09 PM||#2|
You're not really here.
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
The story about Irvin damn near killing a teammate with a pair of scissors is mind-boggling.
|09-20-2008, 09:26 PM||#4|
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berkeley, CA
There is some more summary of the Charles Haley stuff here:
pretty unbelievable.. very funny in a wtf kind of way.
|09-20-2008, 09:44 PM||#5|
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Back In The 303!