The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
kmonty
BT Blogger

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sweet Feet
Default Sundquist was Against Benching Plummer in 06

From Stefan Fatsis' just-released A Few Seconds of Panic:

I watch the [Seattle] game with Ted Sundquist and his staff, and it's clear to me they don't agree with the change. A few weeks earlier, Sundquist had told me he didn't feel Jake was the sole reason for the offense's poor play. On Cutler's first series, the Broncos run three plays and punt. "Same result," someone says. When Cutler fumbles a snap, Sundquist remarks, "He did that about three times in practice." Someone else replies, "I heard six." Then, as he is hit by a defensive lineman, Cutler wings the ball blindly into the air. It's intercepted and returned for a touchdown. Pens and binoculars fly in our box high above the field....

In the locker room afterward, Cutler tells Jake that the team would have won had he been playing.

-
Fatsis interviews Jake the next day, and Plummer is pretty candid about his feelings on the whole thing (he's beyond pissed off).

If you haven't gotten a copy yet, I highly recommend it. It's a great read in and of itself, but it's just got all these extra details Broncos fans will be appreciate. I'll be posting a full book review today on BroncoTalk and will also have a Q&A with the author a bit later.
kmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I think it was dumb (from the team's perspective) to allow a reporter that much access to write a book. These are the salient details that teams do not like getting out to the public.

That said....I will be picking up a copy in the near future.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Guess Sundquist couldnt tell the difference between a 10 year vet making those mistakes and a rookie. No wonder he got canned.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I think it was dumb (from the team's perspective) to allow a reporter that much access to write a book. These are the salient details that teams do not like getting out to the public.

This is so true
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

They would've won that game with Jake playing.

We would've gone to the playoffs with Jake playing.

...but we'd be in a significantly worse situation TODAY had Jake finished that year.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
kmonty
BT Blogger

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sweet Feet

Quote:

It was an eye opener to be sure. I wrote a little about that in the review I'm working on too.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

...but we'd be in a significantly worse situation TODAY had Jake finished that year.

who knows for sure....as great as the defense started that year, they were no match against good offense's.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

That's pretty much it. The Seattle game was Cutler's first and of course he looked like ass. I have no doubt they beat Seattle in that game if Jake plays. But so what? We wouldn't move forward as a franchise.

Two games later Jay's killing in Arizona, though. And the Charger game on the road was the first game where the safeties had to back out of the box that year because they actually were respecting passes over the middle of the field. Tatum freaking Bell racked up over 100 yards rushing in San Diego that year. He was the only back to do so and they played a healthy Sean Alexander, Larry Johnson, and several other elite backs that weren't able to make that happen.

Jay Cutler right now is a better QB than Jake ever was. Jake would have taken us to the playoffs where we would have been one and done like we are every year.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Attached Images

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Bah, its football not international espionage.... These things lend color, life, and insight to our team. Is it really surprising that Sundquist wasn't 100% in love with every decision made? That's true of 100% of businesses everywhere.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
kmonty
BT Blogger

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Sweet Feet

Sundquist's opinion didn't bother me as much as him being open about it to other employees. How could it do anything but undermine Mike Shanahan?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #12
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Shanahan just should have either done it earlier or waited until we were out of playoff contention. He showed no conviction and that's why the team reacted poorly.

That said, even if Plummer was playing well... we didn't have a real defense. It wouldn't have mattered. Same as most years.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Plummer was a good guy. Very likable.

He just wasn't a very good quarterback. True to his likable guy nature, he had his moments where he'd play outside his head and ability. That was fun to watch - at least at first.

But at the end of the day, he wasn't getting it done. No matter what Sundquist (or anyone else) thinks about the move to bench him at the time that it happened, the fact is that he wasn't getting it done. Maybe there *are* other fingers to point. But that doesn't change the fact that Plummer was a problem.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Bah, its football not international espionage.... These things lend color, life, and insight to our team. Is it really surprising that Sundquist wasn't 100% in love with every decision made? That's true of 100% of businesses everywhere.
Considering that Shanny keeps a tight lid on things, I am very surprised he allowed this level of access.

If he had known how freely people would have been talking to the reporter, I doubt he would have ever allowed this.

Heck, he won't even throw the Denver Post or RMN a bone these days.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

As was alluded to in the other thread, there is a reason why good old Ted is still unemployed.....there is no way Shanny stays unemployed for 4 days, much less 4 months if he were ever canned.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonty View Post
Sundquist's opinion didn't bother me as much as him being open about it to other employees. How could it do anything but undermine Mike Shanahan?
Well I think any undermining that may have occurred was quickly erased when Shanny fired Sundquist. Sounds to me like Sundquist was the bad apple. Wabbit has eluded to as much and he is an unbiased party. He has said Sundquist should have went way before this off season.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Plummer was a good guy. Very likable.

He just wasn't a very good quarterback. True to his likable guy nature, he had his moments where he'd play outside his head and ability. That was fun to watch - at least at first.

But at the end of the day, he wasn't getting it done. No matter what Sundquist (or anyone else) thinks about the move to bench him at the time that it happened, the fact is that he wasn't getting it done. Maybe there *are* other fingers to point. But that doesn't change the fact that Plummer was a problem.

Exactly.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #18
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

You know Popps and TJ both posted in this thread. That hasn't happened for a long time. This might revive the classic Popps vs TJ death matches!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #19
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

IMHO Jake should still be starting in Denver.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #20
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
He probably would have if he had any heart left to play. Once his heart wasnt in it, game over.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #21
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:

somebody ban this fool!
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:33 AM   #22
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:

We could have made the Playoffs if Jake does not go into the San Fran game in relief and put up a 0.0 Qb rating.

I am beginning to blame Shanny for even putting Jake in that game. I know hindsight is 20-20 but Jake had no motivation to play he proved it by his terrible play, they get the one FG after Bell has the best run of his career and Shanny has to call a QB sneak to protect the ball and kick the FG.

Not sure if they had a #3 QB active that game but they would have been better off that day with a practice squad guy than a disgruntled Jake.

Can we start some Griese threads? I am tired about making the same points over and over about Jake
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:37 AM   #23
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

Jake was a leader and we've yet to see that from Jay. One has to wonder if we dont spend so many picks on Jay what our team would look like today (and last year) if instead those picks were on the D side of the ball. I'm thinking a Vegas odds to win it all.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #24
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
We could have made the Playoffs if Jake does not go into the San Fran game in relief and put up a 0.0 Qb rating.

I am beginning to blame Shanny for even putting Jake in that game. I know hindsight is 20-20 but Jake had no motivation to play he proved it by his terrible play, they get the one FG after Bell has the best run of his career and Shanny has to call a QB sneak to protect the ball and kick the FG.

Not sure if they had a #3 QB active that game but they would have been better off that day with a practice squad guy than a disgruntled Jake.

Can we start some Griese threads? I am tired about making the same points over and over about Jake
Cutler had a concussion. They decided after watching Jake play that a concussed Cutler was a better option.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #25
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Jake was a leader and we've yet to see that from Jay. One has to wonder if we dont spend so many picks on Jay what our team would look like today (and last year) if instead those picks were on the D side of the ball. I'm thinking a Vegas odds to win it all.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.