The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If Cutler has a pro-bowl season in 2008, will Denver make the playoffs?
Yes, if Jay emerges as a pro bowl QB, Denver will make the playoffs. 115 90.55%
No, that would not be enough for them to make the playoffs. 12 9.45%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default If Cutler has a pro-bowl season in 2008, will Denver make the playoffs?

Want to see how strongly people believe Denvers fate is tied to the arm of Jay Cutler.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

or better question, if he has a pro bowl season, will he actually make the probowl?
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Obviously the playoffs are preferable to Jay in Hawaii ... but the point is: Our emphasis on the running game on offense, coupled with a poor run defense that keeps Jay on the sideline a lot, means Jay will have a hard time running up the kind of raw numbers needed to impress the dimwitted Pro-Bowl voting myopics.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Obviously the playoffs are preferable to Jay in Hawaii ... but the point is: Our emphasis on the running game on offense, coupled with a poor run defense that keeps Jay on the sideline a lot, means Jay will have a hard time running up the kind of raw numbers needed to impress the dimwitted Pro-Bowl voting myopics.
Could not disagree more. The popular vote is the only time it turns into a stat show, and the majority of the popular votes are popularity contests anyways, and not based on stats. 2/3 of the voting comes from players and coaches. If it was all a stat show, no reason Champ goes in this year or from 2003-2004, but the players who line-up against him, and the coaches that re-arrange game plans around him would've placed their votes else-where.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Drek
Ring of Famer

He won't get enough press if we aren't a playoff competitor, so yes.

Short of Jay putting up 5000 yards, 40 touchdowns, and a QB rating over 100 he has no shot of getting to the Pro Bowl without us being a playoff competitor. Even then it'll be a stretch, the Pro Bowl is too often guys getting rewarded for the previous season's efforts, not the current one.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Its too early to say. If our defense is ok like in the top 15 or so. Then we will be better to say if we could the playoffs.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Popps
It's so easy

We've seen plenty of QBs put up great seasons without playoff success. A solid year from Cutler certainly is part of the puzzle, but this team's success will lie with the defensive front seven.

As you may recall, this team could have been a playoff team LAST year if our defense could get out of their own way.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

If the defense is anything like last year, we won't make the playoffs even if Elway were the QB....
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #9
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
If the defense is anything like last year, we won't make the playoffs even if Elway were the QB....
I don't think i can get much worse than it was last year?!?! Robertson should give us help in the middle and with a year under Thomas' belt i think we can expect at least average play from the line. The O line will be interesting to watch!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

can't be worse only better, the broncos only get better not worse...........

duh
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
Hotwheelz
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
douchey mcdouche

Last edited by Hotwheelz; 07-05-2008 at 03:26 PM..
Hotwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #12
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

The real question might be is if Cutler has a pro bowl worthy season and they don't make the playoffs will he go? I think the answer is no. It also depends on the defense not just the QB.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
NW Bolt Fan
Ring of Famer

San Diego, AFC WEST CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
The real question might be is if Cutler has a pro bowl worthy season and they don't make the playoffs will he go? I think the answer is no. It also depends on the defense not just the QB.
Why would you say that? If he has a worthy season- he'll go- AND you guys will make the playoffs.
NW Bolt Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I'm curious about how ignorant Bronco fans will fail to see how Reeves=Shanny in how they handled their franchise QB's. You kids that were born in 1983 or later don't have any idea what happened in Elways first 10 years in the League.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #15
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Bolt Fan View Post
Why would you say that? If he has a worthy season- he'll go- AND you guys will make the playoffs.
It would basically take an injury to Manning and/or Brady, and Palmer numbers-wise is usually in the hunt. Even if Cutler did pull off a monster upset and beat out one of those guys for a spot, there's no guarantee our defense can stop anyone.

We've seen plenty of teams with huge offenses miss the playoffs, and particularly huge passing games.

Every year I'm on this board preaching that defense and running games win championships and every single year it pans out to be true. I don't expect this year to be any different.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Bolt Fan View Post
Possibly but in the AFC with Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and Tom Brady its already difficult. I think Denver has to be winning and in the hunt or else media interest will be sparse save for negative press and it will reflect in the voting.

Now if he is chosen by the coaches thats a different matter.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #17
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Could not disagree more. The popular vote is the only time it turns into a stat show, and the majority of the popular votes are popularity contests anyways, and not based on stats. 2/3 of the voting comes from players and coaches. If it was all a stat show, no reason Champ goes in this year or from 2003-2004, but the players who line-up against him, and the coaches that re-arrange game plans around him would've placed their votes else-where.
I guess you're saying 'Pro-Bowl' and 'All-Pro' are two different things? Did you have a point there?
Old 07-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #18
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
We've seen plenty of QBs put up great seasons without playoff success. A solid year from Cutler certainly is part of the puzzle, but this team's success will lie with the defensive front seven.

As you may recall, this team could have been a playoff team LAST year if our defense could get out of their own way.
The team could have been a playoff team last year without the worst Bronco D in 40 years. But to win a playoff game you need good ST's also.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
NW Bolt Fan
Ring of Famer

San Diego, AFC WEST CHAMPS

Popps & ApaOps5,

While I agree that those 3 are the front runners (particularly Peyton seems to be a shoe-in), it's not out of the question for someone else to make it. However, I'll agree with you on this- if everything were equal, statswise between Manning, Brady, Palmer, and Cutler, then he probably doesn't make it.

But the fact that 2/3 of the voting comes from players and coaches means it's not strictly a popularity contest. Overall record definitely has something to do with it... LT had the 2nd most yards from scrimmage in NFL history in '03 and missed it... Whatever.

But, I also think one of the 3 "early leaders" is likely going to faulter a bit- probably Palmer. With all the waves "Ocho" has been making, coupled with the fact that their O-line isn't all that great, and their head coach is even worse, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see him play at a sub-standard level.

I think it'll take A-LOT for Cutler to make it though. He's just got a lot working against him. How will the O-line be this year? Will Marshall actually be recovered and in the form he was last year? Personally, I like a few of your wideout acquistions. D. Jackson has speed and a knack for the endzone, but he'll also probably drop 5 or 6 VERY catchable balls that could have been drive/game/season changers. He's had a history of that in Seattle. I actually like Colbert the best for you guys. When he had a decent QB and didn't have to be "the guy," he plays well- AND he's been known to step it up in some bigger games.

I'm not entirely convinced that Kubiak didn't have a lot of the innovation for the offense despite Shanahans track record. As a gameday coach, I think he's one of the best in the game, but I wonder too, about him juggling too many hats for the team.

Couple all that stuff with the defense coming together, and not putting the offense into big holes, and that's why I see it as a long, LONG uphill road for Cutler. Simply getting the diabetes in check has got to be a HUGE boost for him. If Selvin Young lives up to even 2/3 of his expectations, Cutler plays like many of you think he can, the D does indeed make some progress, then you guys will be a surprise team in the NFL this year. Happens every year...
NW Bolt Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #20
BroncosinDC
Now Live From Baltimore!

True Men have Facial Hair

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
I'm curious about how ignorant Bronco fans will fail to see how Reeves=Shanny in how they handled their franchise QB's. You kids that were born in 1983 or later don't have any idea what happened in Elways first 10 years in the League.
I was born in 85, I remember the SI issue. I remember the disdain for Reeves, hence the reason I tried to engineer some hate for Reeves in the hate poll. I also remember the day Wade became the coach and watching the press conference in the kitchen on our black and white TV. I thought my Dad had won the lottery he was so happy.

Are you referring to him not letting Jay loose? Or the constant emphasis on trying to run first. Because the big difference is a solid running game for us now, open up our passing play book. So in order to let Jay do bootlegs, PA passes we need a running game to make the defense respect it.
BroncosinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #21
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
The team could have been a playoff team last year without the worst Bronco D in 40 years. But to win a playoff game you need good ST's also.
well last year, if you look at the GB and chicago game, 2 games that we gave away the win, we could have been a playoff contender..
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #22
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
It would basically take an injury to Manning and/or Brady, and Palmer numbers-wise is usually in the hunt. Even if Cutler did pull off a monster upset and beat out one of those guys for a spot, there's no guarantee our defense can stop anyone.

We've seen plenty of teams with huge offenses miss the playoffs, and particularly huge passing games.

Every year I'm on this board preaching that defense and running games win championships and every single year it pans out to be true. I don't expect this year to be any different.
And every year I'm telling you it takes all three phases to win a League Title. I can't argue with a good D and running game, but you need all three phases to win consistently in the playoffs. Good coaching staffs will shut down a two-dimensional team, you gotta have all three phases.

I don't mind a two-dimensional team, they usually can win a Div Title and maybe a Conf Title, and that's nothing to sniff at.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #23
400HZ
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ed Hochuli

With spots one and two pretty well locked up, there is going to be a crowd for that final spot. Roethlisburger, Palmer. Rivers if he carries over his play from the second half of last year. Anderson. Garrard. Definitely some tough competition for the third spot. I don't think Cutler has a chance if the Broncos are sub .500 again.
400HZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #24
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosinDC View Post

I was born in 85,
Exactly my point. You have no direct reference to Reeves/Elway's first ten years. You were 7 years old when Reeves was fired, barely out of kindergarten. I see a lot of you on this board, kids that have an opinion but it's all second-hand.

Quote:
I remember the disdain for Reeves, hence the reason I tried to engineer some hate for Reeves in the hate poll. I also remember the day Wade became the coach and watching the press conference in the kitchen on our black and white TV. I thought my Dad had won the lottery he was so happy.
I say there's a lot of ignorant fans out there. How do you win 3 AFC Titles if the HC is a bum? Just got lucky? It was all Elway? Please. Reeves also took Atlanta to the SB with Chris Chandler at QB.

[QUOTE]Are you referring to him not letting Jay loose?[QUOTE]

Yeah, certainly.

Quote:
Or the constant emphasis on trying to run first.
Certainly.

Quote:
Because the big difference is a solid running game for us now, open up our passing play book.
You were too young to see Reeves OL's or running game. Reeves=Shanny. Same O philosophy. Reeves taught Shanny pretty good, eh? Except Shanny can't hold Reeves jockstrap winning Titles.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #25
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
well last year, if you look at the GB and chicago game, 2 games that we gave away the win, we could have been a playoff contender..
Good point. Trouble is, SD kicked the living daylights out of us twice, and Oakland once.