The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #2151
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Fractals describe anything that is self organizing and repeats the same patterns at multiple levels of scale. Blood vessels are very much fractal, to some extend so are nerve cells. Water currents are fractal as well.

The simplicity of fractals is that you can formulate a few simple rules, and from those rules you can generate a system that as it grows, always serves the perfect function. Look at a tree or a bush, no matter where you look, you always see thicker branches sprouting thinner branches, for ever and ever, it never ends.
I like this, thanks for your input. I am very interested in this topic...If you want to discuss more or share more - please by all means, i appreciate it.

I agree, and that's what i'm trying to express/illustrate.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #2152
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Can Our DNA Electromagnetically 'Teleport' Itself? One Researcher Thinks So

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21676...nner_says.html

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...cher-thinks-so
Old 01-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #2153
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Hole's on First?: New Evidence Shows Black Hole Growth Preceding Galactic Formation

An accidental find in a star-forming dwarf galaxy shows that black holes may mature early in galaxy evolution

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...axy-black-hole

Discovered: Biggest ever black hole that is so big it could swallow our ENTIRE solar system

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz1BWNAeu1d

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ar-system.html

http://www.astronomy.com/News-Observ...0universe.aspx

Planck peels back the layers of the universe
Although cosmology results won’t be ready for another 2 years, initial results include observations of specific objects in our Milky Way, as well as more distant galaxies.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #2154
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://technoccult.net/archives/2011...lectric-field/

The Human Brain Changes Its Own Behavior with Its Electric Field

Your brain is electric. Tiny impulses constantly race among billions of interconnected neurons, generating an electric field that surrounds the brain like an invisible cloud. A new study published online July 15 in Neuron suggests that the brain’s electric field is not a passive by-product of its neural activity, as scientists once thought. The field may actively help regulate how the brain functions, especially during deep sleep. Although scientists have long known that external sources of electricity (such as electroshock therapy) can alter brain function, this is the first direct evidence that the brain’s native electric field changes the way the brain behaves.

Scientific American: Neural Feedback: Brain Influences Itself with Its Own Electric Field
Old 01-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #2155
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
I like this, thanks for your input. I am very interested in this topic...If you want to discuss more or share more - please by all means, i appreciate it.

I agree, and that's what i'm trying to express/illustrate.
Fractals are really interesting because they are so complex to look at, yet often so simple to generate. Normally you would think a pattern of infinite complexity and scale would require an infinite amount of rules, but that is not at all true.

I especially love the Mandelbrot set, which I know is the most basic fractal, but also illustrates so beautifully what fractals are about. It is generated from a single equation: Z(n+1)=Z(n)^2+c, c is in the complex plane and is in the set if Z(n) remains below a threshold for any value of n. If you look at that equation you would think the set would be trivial, but when you look at it you see the iconic shape of a pacman like figure with a smaller circle attached to it and a tail sticking out with hair around the edge, but when you zoom on the edge of the set you see the same shape again, and when you zoom on that the same shape again, and so on forever, and I do mean forever.

It is really mindboggling how one really simple equation and condition can produce a set of that complexity, a set that you couldn't reproduce in any other way no matter how many equations and conditions you are allowed to use.

It is the same for a tree, if you look at the ration of the thickness of a branch over the distance from the base of the branch to the first offshoot branch, it is almost constant, for any branch on the tree and it is identical for any tree of that type (for instance oak). Instead of making a complex set of rules, the tree just knows that when the branch is this thick I have to grow a branch here, and that instruction is repeated over and over, and it yields a structure with optimal coverage that won't break under its own weight no matter if it is big or small.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:08 AM   #2156
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Fractals are really interesting because they are so complex to look at, yet often so simple to generate. Normally you would think a pattern of infinite complexity and scale would require an infinite amount of rules, but that is not at all true.

I especially love the Mandelbrot set, which I know is the most basic fractal, but also illustrates so beautifully what fractals are about. It is generated from a single equation: Z(n+1)=Z(n)^2+c, c is in the complex plane and is in the set if Z(n) remains below a threshold for any value of n. If you look at that equation you would think the set would be trivial, but when you look at it you see the iconic shape of a pacman like figure with a smaller circle attached to it and a tail sticking out with hair around the edge, but when you zoom on the edge of the set you see the same shape again, and when you zoom on that the same shape again, and so on forever, and I do mean forever.

It is really mindboggling how one really simple equation and condition can produce a set of that complexity, a set that you couldn't reproduce in any other way no matter how many equations and conditions you are allowed to use.

It is the same for a tree, if you look at the ration of the thickness of a branch over the distance from the base of the branch to the first offshoot branch, it is almost constant, for any branch on the tree and it is identical for any tree of that type (for instance oak). Instead of making a complex set of rules, the tree just knows that when the branch is this thick I have to grow a branch here, and that instruction is repeated over and over, and it yields a structure with optimal coverage that won't break under its own weight no matter if it is big or small.
I had found a ton of fractal youtube videos with the Mandelbrot and other fractals that show the illustration of this.

I love it. I don't know if i can discuss it on a mathematical level with you, but I'd be happy to share the appreciation in some of it.

What also impresses me, is how the mandalas are also fractals. I think of fractals like those magic eye puzzles, and if you look at them right - you see the "true" nature.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:24 AM   #2157
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:

That is fascinating and makes me wonder how anyone can believe life is random chance.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #2158
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Print your own flute

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/ns...ef=online-news
Old 01-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #2159
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/01/solar...er-of-america/

Solar Roads Can Beat Peak Oil And The Icing Over Of America

Posted by majestic on January 19, 2011

This is a pretty amazing idea — the roads might even be able to charge electric cars while they travel using mutual induction! Check out Solar Roadways:

Suppose we made a section of road out of this material and housed solar cells to collect energy, which could pay for the cost of the panel, thereby creating a road that would pay for itself over time. What if we added LEDs to “paint” the road lines from beneath, lighting up the road for safer night time driving? What if we added a heating element in the surface (like the defrosting wire in the rear window of our cars) to prevent snow/ice accumulation in northern climates? The ideas and possibilities just continued to roll in and the Solar Roadway project was born.

In 2009, we received a contract from the Federal Highway Administration to build the first ever Solar Road Panel prototype. During the course of its construction, we learned many lessons and discovered new and better ways to approach this project. These methods and discoveries are discussed throughout this website…
Old 01-20-2011, 06:34 AM   #2160
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.kurzweilai.net/flexible-s...of-new-devices

Flexible screens expected to inspire a host of new devices
January 20, 2011

Source: PhysOrg.com — Jan 19, 2011

Hewlett-Packard researchers expect to deliver to the U.S. Army this year a working prototype of a “Dick Tracy wristwatch” — a lightweight, wearable device that soldiers in the field can use to view digital maps and other data on a flexible plastic screen that won’t shatter or crack like glass. The prototype could be one of the first in a new wave of products incorporating flexible electronic displays.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #2161
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Do it to parking lots and power the store they support and charge the cars while they are parked there.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #2162
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Do it to parking lots and power the store they support and charge the cars while they are parked there.
Agreed.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #2163
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default Solar flares

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...vastation.html

Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation
Britain could face widespread power blackouts and be left without critical communication signals for long periods of time, after the earth is hit by a once-in-a-generation “space storm”, Nasa has warned.

___

Since I listen to C2C, and am familiar with Maj. Ed Dames' stance that a series of solar flares will drastically change life as we know it:

http://www.remoteviewingproducts.com/killshot.cfm

A number of forecasts by Ed Dames' team of professional remote viewers have come to pass, exactly as described. In the course of standard operations, however, the team stumbled across a catastrophic event - now dubbed 'The Killshot' - actually a series of powerful, deadly solar flares which will be impacting the Earth in the near future! The effects of Killshot are seen as causing such an extreme amount of destruction and loss of life that a large portion of RV data collection resources has been allocated for study and analysis.

In the Killshot DVD, Major Dames presents all of the data that he and his professional team have amassed, looking through time, in an attempt to piece together the global effects of this catastrophic geophysical event.

___

He's been calling this for several years.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 AM   #2164
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Danger Room What's Next in National Security

Homeland Security Junks Billion Dollar ‘Virtual Fence’
Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #2165
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Military or prison is a paradigm that many Americans are increasingly being forced to choose between. Institutional crime versus criminal institutions versus corporate greed? A lot of families are trapped in that triangle. Work three jobs, join the military or play the crime game.

What amazes me is how many congressman belong in jail. How is that statistic not on the front pages of major media?
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #2166
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...vastation.html

Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation
Britain could face widespread power blackouts and be left without critical communication signals for long periods of time, after the earth is hit by a once-in-a-generation “space storm”, Nasa has warned.

___

Since I listen to C2C, and am familiar with Maj. Ed Dames' stance that a series of solar flares will drastically change life as we know it:

http://www.remoteviewingproducts.com/killshot.cfm

A number of forecasts by Ed Dames' team of professional remote viewers have come to pass, exactly as described. In the course of standard operations, however, the team stumbled across a catastrophic event - now dubbed 'The Killshot' - actually a series of powerful, deadly solar flares which will be impacting the Earth in the near future! The effects of Killshot are seen as causing such an extreme amount of destruction and loss of life that a large portion of RV data collection resources has been allocated for study and analysis.

In the Killshot DVD, Major Dames presents all of the data that he and his professional team have amassed, looking through time, in an attempt to piece together the global effects of this catastrophic geophysical event.

___

He's been calling this for several years.
This is well documented but nobody seems to be doing anything about this at the upper levels. Y2k was bull****. This is actually real.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #2167
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Military or prison is a paradigm that many Americans are increasingly being forced to choose between. Institutional crime versus criminal institutions versus corporate greed? A lot of families are trapped in that triangle. Work three jobs, join the military or play the crime game.

What amazes me is how many congressman belong in jail. How is that statistic not on the front pages of major media?
Collusion.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #2168
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
This is well documented but nobody seems to be doing anything about this at the upper levels. Y2k was bull****. This is actually real.
I've been following this for a bit and agree.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #2169
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

The Killshot DVD is on Youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tFc...eature=related
Old 01-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #2170
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:

I'm reposting this, I feel it's worth it.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #2171
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
http://www.disinfo.com/2011/01/solar...er-of-america/

Solar Roads Can Beat Peak Oil And The Icing Over Of America

Posted by majestic on January 19, 2011

This is a pretty amazing idea — the roads might even be able to charge electric cars while they travel using mutual induction! Check out Solar Roadways:

Suppose we made a section of road out of this material and housed solar cells to collect energy, which could pay for the cost of the panel, thereby creating a road that would pay for itself over time. What if we added LEDs to “paint” the road lines from beneath, lighting up the road for safer night time driving? What if we added a heating element in the surface (like the defrosting wire in the rear window of our cars) to prevent snow/ice accumulation in northern climates? The ideas and possibilities just continued to roll in and the Solar Roadway project was born.

In 2009, we received a contract from the Federal Highway Administration to build the first ever Solar Road Panel prototype. During the course of its construction, we learned many lessons and discovered new and better ways to approach this project. These methods and discoveries are discussed throughout this website…
I read about this and it is amazing technology. I have to admit I am skeptical as to its ultimate benefits because I still foresee a replacement of wheels within the reasonable future, but the concept of thin surface solar generators has a LOT of applications, think roofing, parking lots as suggested, walls of industrial complexes etc. There is a plant in Germany I know of that make super efficient solar panels, they generate 2 to 3 times more electricity than regular panels using some highly sophisticated technology, but combined with the flexible thin screens a lot of companies are working on for electronics, this could ultimately be something you put on top of your roofing or parking lot and generate all the power you need.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #2172
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
That is fascinating and makes me wonder how anyone can believe life is random chance.
Because you can create a system like that with 1 rule. There is no design required, just 1 rule and you get infinite complexity.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #2173
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
I read about this and it is amazing technology. I have to admit I am skeptical as to its ultimate benefits because I still foresee a replacement of wheels within the reasonable future, but the concept of thin surface solar generators has a LOT of applications, think roofing, parking lots as suggested, walls of industrial complexes etc. There is a plant in Germany I know of that make super efficient solar panels, they generate 2 to 3 times more electricity than regular panels using some highly sophisticated technology, but combined with the flexible thin screens a lot of companies are working on for electronics, this could ultimately be something you put on top of your roofing or parking lot and generate all the power you need.
You and I are in agreement, and we also seem to follow the same tech feeds. I know you've spent time on this thread...so I appreciate your interests and conversation.

I also had seen solar paint, etc as well. I'm very excited about the solutions coming up for real problems.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #2174
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Because you can create a system like that with 1 rule. There is no design required, just 1 rule and you get infinite complexity.
Your own words defeat you.

Do you really think something so elegantly designed is just a random occurrence?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #2175
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Despite the intense skepticism, a small community of scientists is still investigating near-room-temperature fusion reactions. The latest news occurred last week, when Italian scientists Andrea Rossi and Sergio Focardi of the University of Bologna announced that they developed a cold fusion device capable of producing 12,400 W of heat power with an input of just 400 W. Last Friday, the scientists held a private invitation press conference in Bologna, attended by about 50 people, where they demonstrated what they claim is a nickel-hydrogen fusion reactor. Further, the scientists say that the reactor is well beyond the research phase; they plan to start shipping commercial devices within the next three months and start mass production by the end of 2011.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-...on-video.html#

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...akthrough.html

Super-fast quantum computers could soon be a reality after scientists make silicon breakthrough

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...n_811864.html#

Earth could be getting a second sun, at least temporarily.

Dr. Brad Carter, Senior Lecturer of Physics at the University of Southern Queensland, outlined the scenario to news.com.au. Betelgeuse, one of the night sky's brightest stars, is losing mass, indicating it is collapsing. It could run out of fuel and go super-nova at any time.

When that happens, for at least a few weeks, we'd see a second sun, Carter says. There may also be no night during that timeframe.

The Star Wars-esque scenario could happen by 2012, Carter says... or it could take longer. The explosion could also cause a neutron star or result in the formation of a black hole 1300 light years from Earth, reports news.com.au.

But doomsday sayers should be careful about speculation on this one. If the star does go super-nova, Earth will be showered with harmless particles, according to Carter. "They will flood through the Earth and bizarrely enough, even though the supernova we see visually will light up the night sky, 99 per cent of the energy in the supernova is released in these particles that will come through our bodies and through the Earth with absolutely no harm whatsoever," he told news.com.au.

In fact, a neutrino shower could be beneficial to Earth. According to Carter this "star stuff" makes up the universe. "It literally makes things like gold, silver - all the heavy elements - even things like uranium....a star like Betelgeuse is instantly forming for us all sorts of heavy elements and atoms that our own Earth and our own bodies have from long past supernovi," said Carter.