The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #2101
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #2102
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Old 10-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #2103
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

"Suppose we were able to share meanings freely without a compulsive urge to impose our view or conform to those of others and without distortion and self-deception. Would this not constitute a real revolution in culture?"
-David Bohm
Old 11-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #2104
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I'm about to "retire" from the mane.

For those of you whom are interested, i can let you know where to find me - and where the news articles are going.

Thanks all.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #2105
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.disinfo.com/2010/11/engin...cy-at-airport/

Engineer Invents Underwear To Protect Privacy At Airport

If it’s easy enough for an engineer to manufacture underwear to maintain some privacy when going through the body scanners, how long before people wear entire outfits like this rendering the scans useless. The New York Daily News reports:

While holiday travelers may not get through this week without a Transportation Security Administration agent touching their junk, a man in Colorado has a new invention he says will prevent anyone from looking at it.

Jeff Buske has created a special kind of underwear with strategically placed fig-leaf designs he says will shield TSA scanners from viewing fliers’ private parts and keep travelers safe from radiation emitted from the notorious “backscatter” x-ray machines.

Buske, an engineer, said his briefs, bras and inserts, which he’s marketing under the name Rocky Top Gear, use a special metal that protects people’s privacy when undergoing medical or security screenings.
“The object is…to protect the public, educate people and ultimately see these X-ray machines put in the Dumpster,” Buske told CBS4 Denver.

[Continues at NY Daily News]
Old 11-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #2106
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523 View Post
I'm about to "retire" from the mane.

For those of you whom are interested, i can let you know where to find me - and where the news articles are going.

Thanks all.

Hmmmmmm?!?
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #2107
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:

If it’s easy enough for an engineer to manufacture underwear to maintain some privacy when going through the body scanners, how long before people wear entire outfits like this rendering the scans useless. The New York Daily News reports:

While holiday travelers may not get through this week without a Transportation Security Administration agent touching their junk, a man in Colorado has a new invention he says will prevent anyone from looking at it.

Jeff Buske has created a special kind of underwear with strategically placed fig-leaf designs he says will shield TSA scanners from viewing fliers’ private parts and keep travelers safe from radiation emitted from the notorious “backscatter” x-ray machines.

Buske, an engineer, said his briefs, bras and inserts, which he’s marketing under the name Rocky Top Gear, use a special metal that protects people’s privacy when undergoing medical or security screenings.
“The object is…to protect the public, educate people and ultimately see these X-ray machines put in the Dumpster,” Buske told CBS4 Denver.

fine wear that and I bet they jut make you strip them off or you don't fly.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #2108
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Or they would say fine you have to be groped if you underwear block part of the scan.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #2109
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Welcome back Aames!
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #2110
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:

So are you back from your hiatus, refreshed and ready to post crazy stories again? Or is this temporary?
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #2111
randomtask
Thomas is my hero.

Like a complete unknown

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Walton

If it's alright I'd like to post some articles in here from time to time. These articles are a little old, but are still very interesting nonetheless.
http://www.livescience.com/technolog...low_light.html

Technology
Light Packets Slow to Jet Speed
By Michael Schirber, LiveScience Staff Writer
posted: 12 November, 2004 6:30 a.m. ET

The speed limit for light is 186,000 miles per second, but that doesn't mean it can't travel slower than that. Light moves through glass at about 60 percent of its maximum.

By bundling up light waves into special packets, physicists have proposed a stable way to slow light signals to one-millionth of the speed limit, which is about as fast as a jet aircraft.

Light has been made to go slower than this, even made to stand still. But most light packets will lose their shape when their speed is decreased -- a fact that hurts their application in the telecommunication industry.

The new packets, however, belong to a type of wave pattern, called a soliton, which has a robust shape that does not easily decay.

"Solitons were discovered in the 1800s as water waves that propagate without losing their height for miles and miles," said Lu Deng of the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Optical solitons generally are light waves that travel close to the speed of light. But Deng and his colleague, Ying Wu, have devised a way to make optical solitons that travel much slower, giving them more applicability in data transfer applications.

Currently, when an optical signal traveling down a fiber needs to be routed, it is converted to an electrical signal, so that it can be stored in a buffer, while the address is read. Once its destination is known, the signal is converted from electrical back to optical and sent on its way.

But Deng said that these conversions waste resources. It would be favorable to instead simply slow down the main signal while the address is read.

This is possible in tiny cells filled with gas atoms. By shining a laser into the cell, the speed of light can be tuned to whatever the researcher wants.

The problem, though, with these cells, or "optical buffers" as they are called, is that slowing down a wave can cause it to break up -- thereby losing the signal you are trying to send.

"People have been working for years on an optical buffer," Deng said. "Unfortunately, they all have significant loss and terrible distortion."

Deng compared the signal to an ice cream scoop sliding along a table. If it moves too slowly, the ice cream melts before it arrives at its destination.

But if the signal can be converted into a soliton it should maintain its shape. Deng and Wu have shown, in a recent issue of Physical Review Letters, how this soliton transformation can be done theoretically. They are now gearing up to prove their calculations in an experiment.

Continuing with the ice cream analogy, Deng said that a slow-moving soliton wave would be like a scoop with a metal shield.

"Analogies are never perfect," he admitted. "The point is that [the non-soliton] degrades, but the soliton does not."

Last edited by randomtask; 11-27-2010 at 03:19 PM..
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #2112
randomtask
Thomas is my hero.

Like a complete unknown

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Walton

And it's companion article...
http://www.livescience.com/technolog..._backward.html

Technology
Light Travels Backward and Faster than Light
By Robert Roy Britt, LiveScience Managing Editor
posted: 18 May 2006 12:51 pm ET

It sounds nuts, but a scientist says his team has made light go backward. And this is not a simple trick of mirrors.

Previous work has slowed light to a crawl. But in the new research, a pulse of light is given a negative speed and—as if just to make your head spin—the researcher says the experiment made light appear to exceed its theoretical speed limit.

If you totally confused, don't worry. This reporter doesn't get it either. Nor do a lot of really smart scientists.

"I've had some of the world's experts scratching their heads over this one," says Robert Boyd, a professor of optics at the University of Rochester. "It's weird stuff."

The research was reported in the May 12 issue of the journal Science. Though not normally stated in news reports, Science is a peer-reviewed journal. That means some experts read Boyd's paper and said it was good to publish.

That said, nobody would blame you if you stop here. Otherwise, grab a couple aspirin, have a look at depictions of the experiment in this graphic or this animation, and read on.

We're going to let Boyd do the explaining. And this next sentence is the crux of it all:

"We sent a pulse through an optical fiber, and before its peak even entered the fiber, it was exiting the other end. Through experiments we were able to see that the pulse inside the fiber was actually moving backward, linking the input and output pulses."

"The pulse of light is shaped like a hump with a peak and long leading and trailing edges. The leading edge carries with it all the information about the pulse and enters the fiber first. By the time the peak enters the fiber, the leading edge is already well ahead, exiting. From the information in that leading edge, the fiber essentially 'reconstructs' the pulse at the far end, sending one version out the fiber, and another backward toward the beginning of the fiber."

Faster than light

Let's put that another way, verbatim from a statement issued by the University of Rochester:

"As the pulse enters the material, a second pulse appears on the far end of the fiber and flows backward. The reversed pulse not only propagates backward, but it releases a forward pulse out the far end of the fiber. In this way, the pulse that enters the front of the fiber appears out the end almost instantly, apparently traveling faster than the regular speed of light."

What about Einstein, who said nothing can exceed light-speed?

"Einstein said information can't travel faster than light, and in this case, as with all fast-light experiments, no information is truly moving faster than light," Boyd said.

A spokesperson at the university's communications department added this: "Everything that defines the pulse that enters, also defines the pulse that exits. But the energy of the light does not travel faster than light."
randomtask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #2113
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Yeah....it's time to start funneling cash into solar power beyond the token amounts we currently do.

That's the energy in maybe three square meters of sunlight if the guys sun bather situation was correct.

We should have closed system steam plants all over the deserts.

Last edited by snowspot66; 11-27-2010 at 03:26 PM..
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #2114
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

[QUOTE=amesj523;2627747]I'm about to "retire" from the mane.

Thanks all.

Don't retire from the Mane. Thanks. That is all. (Don't be a quitter!)
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #2115
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
Yeah....it's time to start funneling cash into solar power beyond the token amounts we currently do.

That's the energy in maybe three square meters of sunlight if the guys sun bather situation was correct.

We should have closed system steam plants all over the deserts.
The desert is a beautiful place. I used to go out there all the time. It would be a shame to litter it with technology.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #2116
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

best thread ever
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #2117
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #2118
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
I had that up on my twitter & google reader pages...

Do you guys know the legend of the gollum?

They are beings created out of clay and they have no souls.
I think one of my brother in laws is a Gollum. I don't know. Just saying...
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 AM   #2119
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth
Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
best thread ever
Most people on this board fall into basic categories.

1. Funny / Informative
2. Retarded / Funny
3. Retarded / no really!
4. Retarded / What do you mean!?
5. Retarded / Crazy
6. Retarded / General retardation
7. Retarded / Captain OBVIOUS!

I am pretty sure I am either 6 and sometimes a 2. I am rarely a 1. Your posts are almost always food for thought agree or disagree good stuff.

You are appreciated here even by the ones who don't say they read your stuff. Think about it. 10 years from now when there brain stem actually catches a spark it might be one of your posts that actually created the connection!

Who knew!

Maybe we should have a category for Politics Board Jeebus. Save us JEEBUS!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #2120
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Where the White Stag Runs - Boundary and Transformation in Deer Myths, Legends, and Songs - by Ari Berk

Down from the houses of magic,
Down from the houses of magic,
Blow the winds, and from my antlers
And my ears they stronger gather.

Over there I ran trembling,
Over there I ran trembling,
For bows and arrows pursued me.
Many bows were on my trail.

—Black Tailed Deer Song, Pima

This is a good read on the Deer mythology. Read then when sipping on jagr in a rocks class with some ice....

Then go dance and run in the light of the moon.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #2121
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default It's time to go to work

Good Morning Americans;

I wanted to address you this morning with the aim of driving progress towards a goal. This goal isn't "my" goal, but should be our goal. I need your help though in trying to get us to where we need to be.

There is going to be pain in reaching this goal. We are going to have to work for it, and sacrifice for it. We need to hold ourselves accountable, first and foremost.

This goal involves us evolving past the current state of affairs in which we find ourselves in presently. Through my own growth, I have moved through out different point of views, as well as looking at the world through others' eyes.

This is a time for work. Not relating to your job specifically, as this relates to the core items we need to start undertaking if we want to ensure our future. We need to grow up, and move out of the adolescence and selfishness we have grown accustomed to. Currently we seem to be in a state like teenagers. We have grown used to things as they are, but we aren't prepared for what is coming next.

We need to prepare ourselves for these next 30 years. This isn't about buying gold and silver...But it is about reclaiming responsibility and freedom.

This starts and the individual level. For those of you whom are very scared and worried for varied reasons: Crime, Terror, Economics, etc. I offer you no promises that events will be "peachy" and the world will be "awesome".

As stated over the next 30 years, there is a lot of work to be done. I want you to do things based out good intention. Don't be reactionary and do things about of fear or panic.

Fear and panic is part of the problem. Do things out of different intentions. For example:

With rising food costs, concerns over GMO, general economic conditions; many people are turning to farming and gardening. Everything from growing food in their gardens, to the urbanAG movement going on in cities and suburbia. Those embracing hydroponics for reasons beyond the typical stereotype.

If enough people grow their own food, the impact of the food "crisis" won't be nearly as severe. In some ways, what i'm advocating is that we do things that may seem the opposite of our conditioning: Hoarding, panic, disorder.

With all of this talk, speculation, commercialization of 2012 many people are looking for a magical solution to the problems of today. those people will become further disillusioned, as we have seen with the hopes and dreams that people have pegged onto political elections.

I find hope to be one of the evils in Pandora's box. This is where I decided to write you a letter:

One thing I've learned is that the future takes root in the present. What are you doing right now, today to make tomorrow better? What are you doing right now today, to get to where you want to be?

This is where it's time to go to work. This is where it's time to stop b****ing, moaning, blaming, and theiving. This is the time to stop being petty and to be adult. This is the time where we have to work to achieve the goals of putting us on the track of where we need to be.

If this means that we stop participating in the systems that have failed us, and create new systems to compete and possibly replace the failing ones - then we need to work today, and tomorrow, and the day after. You can't put 15 minutes into something and expect results.

Our short attention spans, our envy, our inflated sense of satisfaction for minimal effort will not cut it.

I'm engaged in setting up an expansive network of local growers, expanding the number of growers, and getting local business involved in purchasing localAG.

In addition, i'm working on getting a local currency launched in my area. I view this as a way to help stabilize a local economy, and helps keep things fluid in the local ecology.

I feel, as difficult as it maybe to suggest - and with the amount of time that has been spent on "language", and "rhetoric" in the past few days - that we all change our language. Language is more powerful than you may realize. If you change the words you use each day, the words you consume each day - the world will become different.

I urge you to expand your boundries of thought in reaching out to people with different ideas and finding ways to work together. You don't have to agree, that's the point and intention. The goal is to be proficient in your own mindshare to work with people and ideas that aren't the normal for you.

All of this takes work. If you are really serious about changing things, it starts with you - each day - everyday - to get yourself where you want to be. If you focus on going to work, and accomplishing these goals - as well as your neighbor, and my neighbor - eventually the changes will come to a position where we won't be participating in obligations that are currently failing us.

I'm going to work today: I have a business plan to write up, I have a few calls scheduled after work - and i'm installing an indoor garden for a client of mine who has his lettuces, tomatoes, peppers lined up for his pizza shop.

In addition, i'm also changing words I've used and focusing on empowering people each day to realize that most of the shackles are imaginary.

Thanks for your time...

Now it's time to get back to work.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #2122
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.gizmag.com/superstrong-me...veloped/17557/

Superstrong metallic glass developed

By Jude Garvey

21:03 January 11, 2011

The team from the Berkeley Lab and the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) created a pure glass material with a unique chemical composition that when placed under pressure, makes the glass form multiple shear bands rather than developing a crack. This property makes it much more damage-tolerant than other metallic glass.

Robert Ritchie, a materials scientist who led the Berkeley contribution to the research, said, “These results mark the first use of a new strategy for metallic glass fabrication and we believe we can use it to make glass that will be even stronger and more tough,”

“Because of the high bulk-to-shear modulus ratio of palladium-containing material, the energy needed to form shear bands is much lower than the energy required to turn these shear bands into cracks,” Ritchie said, “The result is that glass undergoes extensive plasticity in response to stress, allowing it to bend rather than crack.”

Initially, the Berkeley-Caltech collaboration made a metallic glass where the propagation of cracks was blocked by micro-structural barriers. This new work produced a glass that increased plasticity ahead of an opening crack, through the addition of palladium. The initial samples of the glass were microalloys of palladium with phosphorous, silicon and germanium, this yielded glass rods that were about one millimeter in diameter. By adding silver the researchers were able to expand the thickness of the rods to six millimeters.

“The rule of thumb is that to make a metallic glass we need to have at least five elements so that when we quench the material, it doesn’t know what crystal structure to form and defaults to amorphous,” Ritchie said.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #2123
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Can Vertical Farming Scale?

Quote:
The barge used one-tenth as much water as a comparable field farm. There was no agricultural run-off, and chemical pesticides were replaced with natural predators such as ladybirds. Operating all year round, the barge could grow 20 times more than could have been produced by a field of the same size, says Dr Caplow.

Solar panels and wind turbines on the barge meant that it could produce food with near-zero net carbon emissions. But the greenhouses on the barge were only one story high, so there was not much need for artificial lighting. As soon as you start trying to stack greenhouses on top of each other you run into problems, says Dr Caplow. Based on his experience with the Science Barge, he has devised a rule of thumb: generating enough electricity using solar panels requires an area about 20 times larger than the area being illuminated. For a skyscraper-sized hydroponic farm, that is clearly impractical. Vertical farming will work only if it makes use of natural light, Dr Caplow concludes.

One idea, developed by Valcent, a vertical-farming firm based in Texas, Vancouver and Cornwall, is to use vertically stacked hydroponic trays that move on rails, to ensure that all plants get an even amount of sunlight. The company already has a 100-square-metre working prototype at Paignton Zoo in Devon, producing rapid-cycle leaf vegetable crops, such as lettuce, for the zoo’s animals. The VerticCrop system ensures an even distribution of light and air flow, says Dan Caiger-Smith of Valcent. Using energy equivalent to running a desktop computer for ten hours a day it can produce 500,000 lettuces a year, he says. Growing the same crop in fields would require seven times more energy and up to 20 times more land and water.

But VertiCrop uses multiple layers of stacked trays that operate within a single-storey greenhouse, where natural light enters from above, as well as from the sides. So although this boosts productivity, it doesn’t help with multi-storey vertical farms.
Via Technoccult

Quote:
One idea, developed by Valcent, a vertical-farming firm based in Texas, Vancouver and Cornwall, is to use vertically stacked hydroponic trays that move on rails, to ensure that all plants get an even amount of sunlight. The company already has a 100-square-metre working prototype at Paignton Zoo in Devon, producing rapid-cycle leaf vegetable crops, such as lettuce, for the zoo’s animals. The VerticCrop system (pictured) ensures an even distribution of light and air flow, says Dan Caiger-Smith of Valcent. Using energy equivalent to running a desktop computer for ten hours a day it can produce 500,000 lettuces a year, he says. Growing the same crop in fields would require seven times more energy and up to 20 times more land and water.

But VertiCrop uses multiple layers of stacked trays that operate within a single-storey greenhouse, where natural light enters from above, as well as from the sides. So although this boosts productivity, it doesn’t help with multi-story vertical farms.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #2124
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Scientist developing self-healing biorenewable polymers

Materials that can repair themselves are generally a good thing, as they increase the lifespan of products created from them, and reduce the need for maintenance. Biorenewable polymers are also pretty likable, as they reduce or even eliminate the need for petroleum products in plastic production, replacing them with plant-derived substances. Michael Kessler, an Iowa State University associate professor of materials science and engineering, and an associate of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Ames Laboratory, is now attempting to combine the two.

Self-healing materials generally incorporate microcapsules containing a liquid healing agent, and catalyst elements, which are embedded within the material’s matrix. As cracks form within the matrix, the microcapsules rupture, releasing the healing agent. As soon as that agent encounters the catalyst, it hardens into three-dimensional polymer chains, thus filling and securing the cracks. Such technology has been used not only to create self-healing plastics, but also self-healing concrete.

Since 2005, Kessler has been working with Iowa State’s Prof. Richard Larock on the development of biorenewable polymers made from vegetable oils. Larock is the inventor of a process wherein bioplastics can be created that consist of 40 to 80 percent inexpensive natural oils – these plastics reportedly have very good thermal and mechanical properties, are good at dampening noises and vibrations, and are also very good at returning to their original shape when heated.

Kessler is now trying to create self-healing versions of these same plastics.

One thing he has deduced so far is that a healing agent for a tung oil-based polymer works too fast. Kessler and his colleagues are now working on slowing down the reactive process of that agent, while also developing biopolymer-friendly encapsulating techniques, and bio-based healing agents.

The big challenge, he says, is to match the 90 percent healing efficiency of standard synthetic composites.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #2125
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Key protein discovered that allows nerve cells to repair themselves

A team of scientists at Penn State University has discovered an unexpected process that is required for regeneration after severe neuron injury. The research will be published in the print edition of the scientific journal Current Biology on 21 December 2010.

The study might provide insights for future researchers who are developing drug therapies for patients with nerve disease or damage.

“We already know a lot about axons — the part of the nerve cell that is responsible for sending signals,” said Melissa Rolls, an assistant professor of biochemistry and molecular biology. “However, dendrites — the receiving end of nerve cells — have always been quite mysterious.”

Unlike axons, which form large, easily recognizable bundles, dendrites are highly branched and often buried deep in the nervous system, so they have always been harder to visualize and to study.

However, Rolls and her team were able to get around these difficulties. They looked inside dendrites in vivo by using a simple model organism — the fruit fly — whose nerve cells are similar to human nerve cells. One of the first mysteries they tackled was the layout of microtubules.