The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #1676
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

The 10 Most Disturbing Books Of All Time
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #1677
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.artificialowl.net/2009/04...-san-juan.html

Old 06-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #1678
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.wunderkabinett.co.uk/damn...well-Hill.html

A while back Graylien did a piece on cubic UFOs. They are a pretty rare class of UFOs so it is interesting to hear of another report from actor Sam Lathem, which comes with a sketch like a schoolchild's version of something by Blake:

Muswell Hill's growing reputation as "Roswell Hill" for its mysterious night-sky activity has taken another alien turn with the latest UFO sighting.

Actor Sam Lathem was so spooked by the appearance of a large cube-shaped "ship" with orange lights erratically making its way across the sky he sketched an image of the floating object.

The 44-year-old, of Ellington Road, said: "What was really peculiar was it was a cube and had orange lights coming from underneath and it was such a close-up view.

"It was about the distance of a football pitch away and the size of a small truck. It slowed a bit and then suddenly went off again.

"It was really strange because there was no noise and you would have thought at that distance it would have woken up everybody on the street. It doesn't make any sense."

Other shock sightings reported in Muswell Hill in the past include a bright orange ball the size of a helicopter, and a silver two-pronged ship which whizzed across the sky.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #1679
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.wired.com/science/discove...ff_guidestones

American Stonehenge: Monumental Instructions for the Post-Apocalypse
Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #1680
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.disinfo.com/content/story...Murfreesboro-1

Nearly 35 pounds of Psilocybin (hallucinogenic) mushrooms baked into about 500 chocolate peanut butter cups were intercepted by Murfreesboro Police vice detectives before being sold at Bonnaroo music festival beginning Thursday in Manchester.

Vice detectives Wednesday raided the Kingwood Drive home of suspect Charles Culver, 22, and located the illegal drug with a street value of $10,000, said police spokesman Kyle Evans.

“We have seen an increase in LSD over the past several years and this is another form or substitute for that drug,” Evans said.

“The affects are hallucinogenic in nature, similar to LSD. They are very dangerous and there have been incidents of people dying the first time they used this drug.”

Origin of the mushrooms is not being disclosed.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #1681
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://gothamist.com/2009/06/04/luxu...d_into_hom.php

Luxury Condo Being Turned into Homeless Shelter

Instead of boarding up an unoccupied luxury condo in Crown Heights and letting it fall into disrepair, the owner has done the unthinkable: arranged to let homeless people live there. The new apartments, which were originally priced up to $350,000, seem pretty nice; one resident who moved in with his wife and two young daughters tells the Daily News, "When I first saw it, I was like, 'Damn, everything is brand new.' It has marble counters and marble floors in the bathrooms, too. I like the big kitchen. That's my favorite." Another new resident, an out-of-work truck driver from Miami who's living with his teenage son, crows, "The closet in the main room is so big you could put a twin bed in there." Lucky homeless!

Of course, some neighbors who go to work every day to pay obscene rent on their depressing dumps are livid; window salesman Desmond John gripes, "I'm a hardworking taxpayer, and I don't think homeless people should be living better than me. They said it's not for rent. It's a shelter. I was shocked." But developer Avi Shriki just had to go and interfere with the natural process of urban blight; he says that "when the market went south," he jumped at the chance to sign a 10-year contract with the Bushwick Economic Development Corp to turn the 67-unit building on East New York Ave into a shelter.

The city is paying about $2,700 a month for each apartment, which also covers social services like job counseling. Shriki says, "At least we still own the building and we are paying our mortgage, so that's good. The outcome is not as bad as some people I know who had to surrender the whole building to the bank." And as for the neighbors who now envy the homeless, one 18-year-old condo resident called "Boss" had this to say: "Just because a person fell out doesn't mean they don't deserve a place to stay." And it doesn't mean they don't deserve a master bedroom that extends into a ballroom, either!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #1682
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/so...fw_pwFwOg.cspx

Home burglarized after owner 'twittered' he was leaving town
Old 06-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #1683
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Congress, Obama Supporting Expanded Secrecy Law
from Disinfo.com by hypnos1
Glenn Greenwald, Salon.com: The White House is actively supporting a new bill jointly sponsored by Sens. Lindsey Graham and Joe Lieberman -- called The Detainee Photographic Records Protection Act of 2009 -- that literally has no purpose other than to allow the government to suppress any "photograph taken between September 11, 2001 and January 22, 2009 relating to the treatment of individuals engaged, captured, or detained after September 11, 2001, by the Armed Forces of the United States in operations outside of the United States." As long as the Defense Secretary certifies -- with no review possible -- that disclosure would "endanger" American citizens or our troops, then the photographs can be suppressed even if FOIA requires disclosure. The certification lasts 3 years and can be renewed indefinitely. The Senate passed the bill as an amendment last week. What kind of a country passes a law that has no purpose other than to empower its leader to suppress evidence of the torture it inflicted on people? Read the language of the bill; it doesn't even hide the fact that its only objective is to empower the President to conceal evidence of war crimes.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #1684
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Barack Obama Admits U.S. Role in 1953 Iran Coup
from Disinfo.com by davidagillespie
US President Barack Obama has admitted US involvement in the 1953 coup in Iran which overthrew the democratically elected government of premier Mohammad Mossadegh."In the middle of the Cold War, the United States played a role in the overthrow of a democratically elected Iranian government," Obama said during his keynote speech to the Muslim world from Cairo University in the Egyptian capital.The CIA, with British backing, masterminded the coup after Mossadegh nationalized the oil industry, run until then by the British-owned Anglo-Iranian Oil Company.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #1685
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.hplusmagazine.com/article...re-it-yourself

Manufacture It Yourself
A Conversation with FabLab@Home Project Co-Creator Evan Malone

http://www.hplusmagazine.com/article...re-it-yourself

Manufacture It Yourself
A Conversation with FabLab@Home Project Co-Creator Evan Malone

http://www.hplusmagazine.com
Posted by moezilla 11 days ago View profile
130 hackers are now playing with desktop machines which can go directly from raw materials to finished products, according to the founder of the open source Fab@Home project.

Evan Malone worked on the design team for Fermilab's "proton driver" synchroton (and Cornell's robot soccer project), but Malone now says he's focused on "putting manufacturing power directly in the hands of individuals." The project shares designs and software for open architecture, multi-material desktop fabricators, and Malone says he hopes open sourcing the effort will lower the performance/price threshhold, ultimately driving demand for "even better fabbers."

"I suspect that home manufacturing will gradually creep into being over the next decade."
Old 06-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #1686
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.hplusmagazine.com/article...uantum-biology

Using high-speed lasers, a Berkeley research team has discovered cell-level "quantum computing" occurring in plants during photosynthesis.

"Life's very existence may be the consequence and continued operation of a quantum computer," notes this mind-boggling article from a transhumanist science magazine. The light energy first moves through every possible path, but then retroactively "decides" which is most efficient. Humankind's harnessing of this process may be the key to advanced computing, but also much more. Quantum computing instantly calculates every possible state and outcome, and makes it possible to choose the optimal path.

"Ultrafast computing, accelerated by our explorations into the new science of quantum biology, could well be the critical technology that pushes us over the edge into the Singularity ... a vast sentience beyond human comprehension, and we are merely the newest avenue for its expression in the world."
Old 06-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #1687
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Old 06-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #1688
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.disinfo.com/content/story...Internet-Users

The Wall Street Journal explores homeless Americans' use of online access, exemplified by Charles Pitts, a 37-year-old San Franciscan who has Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter accounts, runs an Internet forum on Yahoo, reads news and emails friends online, and lives under a highway bridge. In his words, "You don't need a TV. You don't need a radio. You don't even need a newspaper...but you need the Internet."

Obviously, online access for the homeless is important for finding jobs, shelter, and a million other resources. Part of the solution comes from city and nonprofit planning; New York City has put 42 computers in its homeless shelters and plans to have all shelters wired by next year; inhabitants are limited to 30 minutes of use per day due to demand.

Other homeless computer users struggle with issues of theft, rain, and the challenge of finding electricity and Wi-Fi. But, as San Francisco's Robert Livingston, a homeless unemployed security guard, puts it, "It's frightening to be homeless...When I'm on here, I'm equal to everybody else," and can still feel human and connected.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #1689
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.jrbaldwin.com/boardgame

Old 06-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #1690
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Illegal Downloaders Ten Times More Likely To Buy Music
from Disinfo.com by JacobSloan
From the Guardian: Piracy may be the bane of the music industry but according to a new study, it may also be its engine. A report from the BI Norwegian School of Management has found that those who download music illegally are also 10 times more likely to pay for songs than those who don't. We are made to imagine legions of internet criminals, their fingers on track-pads, downloading songs via BitTorrent and never paying for anything. One of the only bits of good news amid this doom and gloom is the steady rise in digital music sales. Millions of internet do-gooders, their fingers on track-pads, who pay for songs they like - purchasing them from Amazon or iTunes Music Store. And yet according to Professor Anne-Britt Gran's new research, these two groups may be the same.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #1691
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesj523 View Post
Holy ****! I was reading The Girl Next Door summary and just got goosebumps. I have to read this but I imagine it being one you can't set down even though your almost in tears.

Last edited by BABronco; 06-12-2009 at 07:02 PM..
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #1692
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABronco View Post
Holy ****! I was reading The Girl Next Store summary and just got goosebumps. I have to read this but I imagine it being one you can't set down even though your almost in tears.
They should arrest the writer.

I don't care if writing that is cathartic. Something is very wrong.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #1693
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Arrest the author? Why?
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #1694
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
They should arrest the writer.

I don't care if writing that is cathartic. Something is very wrong.
Arrest them for what? Its called freedom of speech. Nobody is forcing you to read it. However, I am half tempted to find out where the b**** is buried and dig her bones up and set them on fire and piss all over them... hell might even **** on em before I light it on fire.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #1695
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

I also really would like to read We need to talk about Kevin, The road, and 120 days of Sodom.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #1696
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
Arrest the author? Why?
Did you read the description?

Somewhere in his mind this guy is dreaming up this girl being kidnapped, tortured in horrid ways, etc.

Sets off a flag to me! Then again, there are several issues I'm admittedly completely fascist about.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #1697
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Arrest them for what? Its called freedom of speech. Nobody is forcing you to read it. However, I am half tempted to find out where the b**** is buried and dig her bones up and set them on fire and piss all over them... hell might even **** on em before I light it on fire.
See above and definitely arrest you too.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #1698
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
See above and definitely arrest you too.
ment her aunt...
Old 06-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #1699
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
Did you read the description?

Somewhere in his mind this guy is dreaming up this girl being kidnapped, tortured in horrid ways, etc.

Sets off a flag to me! Then again, there are several issues I'm admittedly completely fascist about.
So have we really come far enough to punish thought crimes ... for an author no less that based this off a true story.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #1700
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
So have we really come far enough to punish thought crimes ... for an author no less that based this off a true story.
Woops.