The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #2851
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

Jamie Hubley, a 15-year old gay teen who was bullied at school, killed himself on Friday. His suicide note was found on Tumblr.

alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #2852
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Children may be vaccinated with anthrax to test if they can survive bioterrorism attack

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1bp2lVZqD
Old 10-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #2853
Punisher
®Spreading the Wealth

97,98,2015 Champs WOOOOOOOOOOOO!®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7

Sad

I have the utmost respect for gay people because unlike many people they accept them self

Last edited by Punisher; 10-25-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 AM   #2854
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

Three-Eyed Fish Caught Near Argentinian Nuclear Power Plant

http://inhabitat.com/three-eyed-fish...r-power-plant/

In an episode of The Simpsons, nuclear power plant owner Mr. Burns tries to justify the existence of Blinky, a three-eyed fish caught in the local river, by saying it is the next step in evolution and not a horrible mutation. Strangely though, he refuses to eat Blinky when it is served to him — we’re not surprised. But while Blinky is the product of a fictional cartoon, this three-eyed fish caught nearby a nuclear facility in Argentina, is not.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #2855
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

Image Source,Photobucket Uploader Firefox Extension
Old 10-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #2856
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

Portland woman, boyfriend won't face charges in photos with dead horse

WARNING: The video and pictures in this story could be disturbing to some viewers.

Portland woman, boyfriend won't face charges in photos with dead horse

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local...ab_W02A2g.cspx

WARNING: The video and pictures in this story could be disturbing to some viewers.

Washington County investigators have chosen not to file charges in a disturbing incident involving pictures released on the internet of a Portland-area woman and her boyfriend with a dead horse.

The 21-year-old woman told Washington County Sheriff’s Office detectives she wanted to “feel one” with a horse, according to a WCSO incident report.

After the horse had been put down and gutted, the woman undressed and crawled inside the carcass of the dead horse and took pictures to prove it.

"At some point you in your career you say yeah I've seen a lot of bad stuff -- you see this kind of picture and you realize maybe you haven't seen everything, " said Washington County Sgt. Dave Thompson.

In addition to the picture of the naked woman inside the horse, there are other photos, including one of the woman and her boyfriend holding what appears to be the horses’ heart. Another shot shows them holding a piece of the horse in front of their mouth – posing as they’re about to take a bite out of it.

KOIN Local 6 has chosen not to release their names.

Arguably the most artistic photo of the group is a picture of the naked 21-year-old, blood-soaked from head to toe, standing over the horse’s body she had just been inside.

The woman and her boyfriend had recently taken over care of the 32-year-old horse, which was in declining health. The horse had lived in Ridgefield, Washington.

The couple told sheriff’s investigators they fired a single shot with a high powered rifle to put the horse down. Their intent, they told investigators, was to humanely kill the horse and eat the meat.

The WCSO incident report indicated the woman wanted to feel what it would be like to be inside the dead horse. There were photos taken. Several were of her smiling at the camera from inside the stomach of the dead animal, all but the face of her 5-foot-6, 119-pound frame inside the horse.

Her mother says the girl now wishes the entire episode would just go away. The girl has received death threats, hostile contact from people across the country who have viewed these pictures and labeled her everything from a devil worshipper to a pervert. Her mother said she is neither.

Washington County’s investigation is suspended. There has been no evidence of any criminal activity. The horse was not abused, nor was it tortured. It was killed in what law enforcement considers one of the most humane ways to put animals down, a single gunshot to the brain with a high powered rifle. The horse likely never knew what happened. The meat was harvested and eaten.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #2857
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=17311

Scientists crack mysterious "Copiale Cipher"

Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 AM   #2858
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://technoccult.net/archives/2011...Technoccult%29

Last Living Master of Fading Sikh Martial Art Seeks Successor

Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #2859
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column...32168?page=0,0

Mayan Filmmaker Offers Photo as Proof of Aliens, Says Hawking Agrees (Exclusive)

The monument, according to an accompanying letter by archaeologist Hector E. Mejia, dates back to between 3500 and 5000 B.C. and is evidence of a superior civilization unlike any known to have lived on Earth.

Mejia described the photograph as being "of a bust which a first glance can be seen to have an elongated cranium and fine characteristics which are not consistent with pre-Hispanic races of America."

"I certify that this monument presents no characteristics of Maya, Nahuatl, Olmec or any other pre-Hispanic civilization," he wrote. "It was created by an extraordinary and superior civilization with awesome knowledge of which there is no record of existence on this planet."

The photo is one of several purported pieces of evidence that will be shown in Julia-Levy's documentary, which he is making with the cooperation of the Mexican and Guatemalan governments keyed to 2012, the date the Mayan calendar ends.

"This explains who we are," said Julia-Levy, the son of actor Raul Julia. "This explains why these big f---ing monuments are all around the world."

And Julia-Levy then passed along a direct quote that, he claimed, came from no less than Stephen Hawking, who he said "is going to work with us" and will be included in his film:

"'I warn humanity that aliens are out there. Just because the aliens were friends with the Mayans doesn't mean they are our friends. Humans should avoid contact with aliens at all costs.'"

An email sent to a representative for Hawking asking about the authenticity of the quote was not answered.

Hawking has in the past said that that alien life is likely to exist in the universe ("to my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly natural"), and has speculated about the dangers of contact.

"If aliens ever visit us," Hawking has said, "I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

TheWrap has been unable to unearth any Instances of Hawking saying anything about the aliens ever contacting or being friends with the Mayans.

But Julia-Levy insisted that the words are Hawking's. He also claimed government conspiracies surrounding the photo, and the head it depicts: After the photo was taken in the late 1930s, he said, it was only published once, in a magazine that was then immediately withdrawn from circulation by "the government of England."

Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #2860
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...irst-time.html

Dreams read by brain scanner for the first time
Old 10-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #2861
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15458636#

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/4...ungest-planet#

Space news - cool stuff!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #2862
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://naturalplane.blogspot.com/201...nd+Monsters%29

Missouri Caver Encounters Underground Reptilian Humanoid
Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #2863
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/01/t...-alarms-local/

Texas Sheriff's office receives weaponizable drone, alarms local news station
Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #2864
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/10/chine...-s-satellites/

Chinese Military Suspected in Hacker Attacks on U.S. Satellites

Posted by HAL9000 on October 28, 2011

MUOSTony Capaccio and Jeff Bliss report in Bloomberg:

Quote:
Computer hackers, possibly from the Chinese military, interfered with two U.S. government satellites four times in 2007 and 2008 through a ground station in Norway, according to a congressional commission.

The intrusions on the satellites, used for earth climate and terrain observation, underscore the potential danger posed by hackers, according to excerpts from the final draft of the annual report by the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission. The report is scheduled to be released next month.

“Such interference poses numerous potential threats, particularly if achieved against satellites with more sensitive functions,” according to the draft. “Access to a satellite‘s controls could allow an attacker to damage or destroy the satellite. An attacker could also deny or degrade as well as forge or otherwise manipulate the satellite’s transmission.”
Old 11-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #2865
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

GoogleReader changed the share function. Since I am not signing up for a Google+ account - things will be slow - but will be migrated to twitter as I shop for a new aggregate. Content will also still be posted here.

thx

mgmt
Old 11-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #2866
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris
Default Giant prehistoric krakens may have sculpted self-portraits using ichthyosaur bones

http://io9.com/5848192/giant-prehist...thyosaur-bones

Giant prehistoric krakens may have sculpted self-portraits using ichthyosaur bones

For decades, paleontologists have puzzled over a fossil collection of nine Triassic icthyosaurs (Shonisaurus popularis) discovered in Nevada's Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park. Researchers initially thought that this strange grouping of 45-foot-long marine reptiles had either died en masse from a poisonous plankton bloom or had become stranded in shallow water.

But recent geological analysis of the fossil site indicates that the park was deep underwater when these shonisaurs swam the prehistoric seas. So why were their bones laid in such a bizarre pattern? A new theory suggests that a 100-foot-long cephalopod arranged these bones as a self-portrait after drowning the reptiles. And no, we're not talking about Cthulhu.

After considering the more brutal aspects of modern octopus predation, paleontologist Mark McMenamin of Mount Holyoke College came to the conclusion that the shonisaur remains had been deposited in a "kraken" lair by its massive, tentacled squatter. From his abstract of research being presented today at The Geological Society of America's annual meeting:

Quote:
We hypothesize that the shonisaurs were killed and carried to the site by an enormous Triassic cephalopod, a "kraken," with estimated length of approximately 30 m, twice that of the modern Colossal Squid Mesonychoteuthis. In this scenario, shonisaurs were ambushed by a Triassic kraken, drowned, and dumped on a midden like that of a modern octopus. Where vertebrae in the assemblage are disarticulated, disks are arranged in curious linear patterns with almost geometric regularity. Close fitting due to spinal ligament contraction is disproved by the juxtaposition of different-sized vertebrae from different parts of the vertebral column. The proposed Triassic kraken, which could have been the most intelligent invertebrate ever, arranged the vertebral discs in biserial patterns, with individual pieces nesting in a fitted fashion as if they were part of a puzzle. The arranged vertebrae resemble the pattern of sucker discs on a cephalopod tentacle, with each amphicoelous vertebra strongly resembling a coleoid sucker. Thus the tessellated vertebral disc pavement may represent the earliest known self‑portrait.
McMenamin anticipates that this theory will be met with skepticism, as the fleshy body of a giant Triassic octopus wouldn't fossilize well. But the possibility of finding that which is essentially a gargantuan mollusk's macaroni illustration? That's the kind of glorious crazy you hope is reality.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #2867
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/01/a...tes-snack-car/

AmtrakConnect free WiFi added to 12 East Coast routes, snack car will still cost ya

Remember when we noted the existence of AmtrakConnect WiFi on the Adirondack train (number 69) about two weeks ago? Although it wasn't official at the time, it is now -- and it turns out that was just a sliver of what to expect. Amtrak recently announced that the free service is currently available on twelve of its East Coast routes, which should please many a railway commuter accustomed to WiFi deprivation. Eight of those routes (Northeast Regional, Keystone and Empire services, Carolinian, Downeaster, Ethan Allen Express, New Haven – Springfield Shuttle and Vermonter) feature full wireless connectivity from head to caboose, while the others (Adirondack, Maple Leaf, Palmetto and Pennsylvanian) have designated cars that allow for internet access. Factor in its Acela and Northwest Regional lines, and Amtrak says 60 percent of its fleet is now WiFi-capable with more additions due in California before the year's out. Better yet, "4G speeds" are also in the cards for the future, but we won't hold our breath waiting for an equally swift rollout. Full press release after the break.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #2868
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://boingboing.net/2011/11/01/why...Boing+Boing%29

Why being wrong makes us angry
from Boing Boing by Maggie Koerth-Baker

Christie Aschwanden is a science journalist. Last month, she joined a lot of other science journalists at the National Association of Science Writers conference and gave a short Ignite presentation about why people get angry when presented with evidence that their beliefs are wrong. She's posted a storyboard of the presentation to The Last Word on Nothing blog. It's definitely worth a read.

I’m married to an amazing guy. Dave is like those honeybees that always know the way back to the hive. Me, I’ve gotten myself lost in the Hearst building. We’ll be hiking and we’ll come to a split in the trail and I’ll point one way and say, we need to go here. And Dave will say no, actually, this is the right way (as he points in the opposite direction). And I’ll insist that, no, this is the way.

And then he’ll point out that my way peters out below some cliff face. Which only pisses me off. The more evidence he shows me that I’m wrong, the more insistent I become — I’m right and he’s wrong. And it’s not just me. This political scientist named Brendan Nyhan at Dartmouth has documented what happens when you show people evidence that their beliefs are wrong.

So when Dave tells me that his way is right and mine is straight up a cliff, I think, oh yeah? Well I’m smart, independent and capable, so therefore I’m correct. I would never point us in the wrong direction. See, it’s never really about the hiking trail. It’s about some bigger story you’ve told yourself. I’m not taking issue with Dave’s direction. I know he’s right. But the factual mumbo jumbo he’s showing me clashes with the story I’ve told myself. I don’t like what it says about me.

Ouch. I know I've had experiences very much like that one before. I'm sure you have, too. What we believe about ourselves affects how we react to people who show us that we are wrong about something.

What's interesting to me about this, though, is that I don't react this way when I prove my own beliefs wrong. For instance, when I hear about a new study, and then have to dig into the evidence that presents a different perspective than the one I originally came up with. In fact, I kind of like doing that. But, then, challenging my own beliefs makes me feel more capable. It fits the story I tell me about myself.

I came away from this thinking two things. First, maybe we all need more opportunities to comfortably challenge our own ideas. (Although, I'm not sure how to create that space. Especially to cover the things that really matter.) Second, we all (me included) need to remember that being questioned—and being wrong—doesn't mean there's something wrong with us.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #2869
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://feeds.boingboing.net/~r/boing...-honeypot.html

Anonymous vs. Zetas: is #OpCartel a flop, hoax, or honeypot?
from Boing Boing by Xeni Jardin

[Video Link] Over the last few days, word has spread of a purported #antisec operation by Anonymous against the most brutal of all Mexican drug cartels, Los Zetas. What was unusual about the way this story spread, however, was the speed at which it was amplified by credulous reports from larger media outlets. This op got lots of press, fast. Faster, in fact, than it got support from Anons.

Geraldine Juarez and Renata Avila were two of the earlier voices I read expressing doubt about the prevailing storyline—a report by Juarez is here. Some I spoke to within Mexico wondered if the Mexican government (no bastion of purity) might be involved.

At the New York Times, writer Damien Cave digs in here on why the story is important.

And over at Wired News, a must-read piece by Quinn Norton that cinches the deal for me (and in it, she references the aforementioned Global Voices item). Quinn's been covering Anonymous extensively for some time, and I trust her spidey sense on this one.

"Everyone, Anonymous and not, seems to agree that going after the Zetas, who are known for hanging people by their own intestines, would be a new level of ambitious, and might even be the point where Anonymous would bite off more than they could chew," Quinn writes. "But there’s some nagging problems with the video that proposes the op."

Read the rest at Wired.

Of course, this, too, could be wrong (or, not the whole story).

As Damien Cave replied to this post just now, "Boing Boing is right to doubt #opcartel, but remember the Mexican context of fear. If it doesn't happen, it may not be a hoax. It may be that people have been scared off."

And that's the one thing Anonymous and the cartels have in common: the truth about their activities can be really hard to figure out.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #2870
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://feeds.boingboing.net/~r/boing...e-regimes.html

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has more information on Blue Coat, a US company whose "deep packet inspection" products are being used by the Syrian secret police with reportedly horrific consequences for Syrians who dare to express dissent online. Blue Coat denied knowledge of the products' use in Syria, then changed their tune after incontrovertible evidence surfaced. Now they've told the WSJ that they don't want their products used in Syria because it's illegal to sell technology to Syria.

But what they haven't said is, "We don't want our products used in Syria because they're being used to figure out who to kidnap, torture, and murder."

And they haven't said, "We'll stop selling our products to countries like Qatar, Bahrain, and Saudi Arabia" -- repressive states (that are legal to sell technology to) where Blue Coat's products are used in the same fashion as in Syria.

In other words, Blue Coat is only concerned about breaking the law, not about helping in human rights violations. Depending on the program, criminal penalties for violating OFAC regulations can range from $50,000 to $10 million with imprisonment ranging from 10 to 30 years for "willful violations."

Given Blue Coat's early denials, we're skeptical that their violation wasn't willful. As Andrew McLaughlin put it in a tweet, "Shame on Blue Coat. Their denials re knowingly assisting Syria censorship don't ring true."

Blue Coat's blatant lack of concern for human rights is alarming. There are far more repressive regimes in the world than there are embargoed countries. Several United States allies, including Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar, are also using Blue Coat systems for censorship and surveillance. But Blue Coat is surely unconcerned; after all, exporting to those countries isn't against the law; it just helps violate the human rights of the people living under those regimes.

Meanwhile, the list of Syrians detained for blogging or other online activities continues to grow.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #2871
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://feeds.boingboing.net/~r/boing...r-traffic.html

DHS seeks intelligence on "domestic threats" from Twitter traffic
from Boing Boing by Xeni Jardin
Popular uprisings in the Mideast and North Africa, and now, Occupy Wall street: all examples of popular unrest powered in part by Twitter and other online social networks. In response, the U.S. government is reported to now be developing guidelines for culling intel from social media, according to a Homeland Security official.

Department of Homeland Security Undersecretary Caryn Wagner said the use of such technology in uprisings that started in December in Tunisia shocked some officials into attention and prompted questions of whether the U.S. needs to do a better job of monitoring domestic social networking activity.

"We're still trying to figure out how you use things like Twitter as a source," she said. "How do you establish trends and how do you then capture that in an intelligence product?"

Wagner said the department is establishing guidelines on gleaning information from sites such as Twitter and Facebook for law enforcement purposes. Wagner says those protocols are being developed under strict laws meant to prevent spying on U.S. citizens and protect privacy, including rules dictating the length of time the information can be stored and differences between domestic and international surveillance.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #2872
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/1...sa-patriot-act

Ten Years After the Patriot Act, a Look at Three of the Most Dangerous Provisions Affecting Ordinary Americans
Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #2873
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris

http://feeds.boingboing.net/~r/boing...r-youtube.html

SOPA: US House of Reps copyright bill proposes national censorship, attacks on hosting services, Twitter, YouTube

PROTECT-IP is a US Senate bill that establishes a draconian censorship and surveillance regime in America in the name of protecting copyright. Its House version, SOPA, has just been introduced, and it's even worse than PROTECT-IP. Much, much worse:

As with its Senate-side evil sister, PROTECT-IP, SOPA would require service providers to “disappear” certain websites, endangering Internet security and sending a troubling message to the world: it’s okay to interfere with the Internet, even effectively blacklisting entire domains, as long as you do it in the name of IP enforcement. Of course blacklisting entire domains can mean turning off thousands of underlying websites that may have done nothing wrong. And in what has to be an ironic touch, the very first clause of SOPA states that it shall not be “construed to impose a prior restraint on free speech.” As if that little recitation could prevent the obvious constitutional problem in what the statute actually does.

But it gets worse. Under this bill, service providers (including hosting services) would be under new pressure to monitor and police their users’ activities. Websites that simply don’t do enough to police infringement (and it is not at all clear what would qualify as “enough”) are now under threat, even though the DMCA expressly does not require affirmative policing. It creates new enforcement tools against folks who dare to help users access sites that may have been “blacklisted,” even without any kind of court hearing. The bill also requires that search engines, payment providers (such as credit card companies and PayPal), and advertising services join in the fun in shutting down entire websites. In fact, the bill seems mainly aimed at creating an end-run around the DMCA safe harbors. Instead of complying with the DMCA, a copyright owner may now be able to use these new provisions to effectively shut down a site by cutting off access to its domain name, its search engine hits, its ads, and its other financing even if the safe harbors would apply.

Disastrous IP Legislation Is Back – And It’s Worse than Ever
Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #2874
alkemical
Chaos Technician

Aethyr Engineering

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eris
Default Douglas Rushkoff has an interesting perspective on OWS: "It is not a protest, but a prototype....

Rushkoff: OWS is not a protest, but a prototype for a new way of living.

from Boing Boing by Mark Frauenfelder
As usual, Douglas Rushkoff has an interesting perspective on OWS: "It is not a protest, but a prototype for a new way of living. "

But “Occupy” is anything but a protest movement. That’s why it has been so hard for news agencies to express or even discern the “demands” of the growing legions of Occupy participants around the nation, and even the world. Just like pretty much everyone else on the planet, occupiers may want many things to happen and other things to stop, but the occupation is not about making demands. They don’t want anything from you, and there is nothing you can do to make them stop. That’s what makes Occupy so very scary and so very promising. It is not a protest, but a prototype for a new way of living.

Now don’t get me wrong. The Occupiers are not proposing a world in which we all live outside on pavement and sleep under tarps. Most of us do not have the courage, stamina, or fortitude to work as hard as these kids are working, anyway. (Yes, they work harder than pretty much anyone but a farmer or coal miner could understand.) The urban survival camps they are setting up around the world are a bit more like showpieces, congresses, and “beta” tests of ideas and behaviors the rest of may soon be implementing in our communities, and in our own ways.

The occupiers are actually forging a robust micro-society of working groups, each one developing new approaches - or reviving old approaches - to long running problems. In just one example, the General Assembly is a new, highly flexible approach to group discussion and consensus building. Unlike parliamentary rules that promote debate, difference, and decision, the General Assembly forges consensus by “stacking” ideas and objections much in the fashion that computer programmers “stack” features. The whole thing is orchestrated through simple hand gestures (think commodities exchange). Elements in the stack are prioritized, and everyone gets a chance to speak. Even after votes, exceptions and objections are incorporated as amendments.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #2875
Kaylore
Three Lombardis

This one's for Pat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Rushkoff: OWS is not a protest, but a prototype for a new way of living.

from Boing Boing by Mark Frauenfelder
As usual, Douglas Rushkoff has an interesting perspective on OWS: "It is not a protest, but a prototype for a new way of living. "

But “Occupy” is anything but a protest movement. That’s why it has been so hard for news agencies to express or even discern the “demands” of the growing legions of Occupy participants around the nation, and even the world. Just like pretty much everyone else on the planet, occupiers may want many things to happen and other things to stop, but the occupation is not about making demands. They don’t want anything from you, and there is nothing you can do to make them stop. That’s what makes Occupy so very scary and so very promising. It is not a protest, but a prototype for a new way of living.

Now don’t get me wrong. The Occupiers are not proposing a world in which we all live outside on pavement and sleep under tarps. Most of us do not have the courage, stamina, or fortitude to work as hard as these kids are working, anyway. (Yes, they work harder than pretty much anyone but a farmer or coal miner could understand.) The urban survival camps they are setting up around the world are a bit more like showpieces, congresses, and “beta” tests of ideas and behaviors the rest of may soon be implementing in our communities, and in our own ways.

The occupiers are actually forging a robust micro-society of working groups, each one developing new approaches - or reviving old approaches - to long running problems. In just one example, the General Assembly is a new, highly flexible approach to group discussion and consensus building. Unlike parliamentary rules that promote debate, difference, and decision, the General Assembly forges consensus by “stacking” ideas and objections much in the fashion that computer programmers “stack” features. The whole thing is orchestrated through simple hand gestures (think commodities exchange). Elements in the stack are prioritized, and everyone gets a chance to speak. Even after votes, exceptions and objections are incorporated as amendments.
Typical idealistic hand job for a bunch of rich kids who want to pretend they're changing the world. And this guy praises the stupidest thing about "the protest" that is they have no demands, no leader and no timetable. They just want to live in tents to "change the world" in some nebulous way. They probably don't even agree with each other what the change should look like. "They work harder than coal miners." Yeah staying in a tent while everyone buys food for you is the same as working in a coal mine.

I look forward to when bad weather and boredom sets in. A few of these guys will get violent wanting to fulfill their martyr mentality when the media and everyone starts to ignore them. Then the tear gas crew will move in and clear them out.

Last edited by Kaylore; 11-02-2011 at 09:31 AM..
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote