The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #2501
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #2502
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Police called to a flat in Berlin by neighbours who said it sounded like someone was using an electric drill through the night smashed down the door to find a vibrator had switched itself on and was jiggling around on the floor.

Officers who answered the desperate call tried repeatedly to contact the 23-year-old woman whose flat it was.

But they could not get a response, and eventually decided to break in the door in an attempt to find out what was going on in the flat. “You could hear the noise out on the street,” one neighbour said.

When the officers smashed their way into the flat they found nothing more dangerous than the vibrator which was doing its best on the floor. Now the young woman is not only going to have to face her neighbours when she returns home – she will also have to pay for the smashed door.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #2503
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Go the **** to Sleep: a storybook for exhausted parents

Go the **** To Sleep is a bedtime book for parents who live in the real world, where a few snoozing kitties and cutesy rhymes don't always send a toddler sailing off to dreamland. Honest, profane, and affectionate, Adam Mansbach's verses and Ricardo Cortés' illustrations perfectly capture the familiar--and unspoken--tribulations of putting your little angel down for the night, and open up a conversation about parenting in the process. Beautiful, subversive, and pants-wettingly funny, Go the **** to Sleep is a perfect gift for parents new, old, or expectant. Here is a sample verse:

Quote:
The cats nestle close to their kittens now.
The lambs have laid down with the sheep.
You're cozy and warm in your bed, my dear
Please go the **** to sleep.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #2504
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.naturalnews.com/032057_ho...es_pollen.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...s-entomb-hives

Honeybees 'entomb' hives to protect against pesticides, say scientists

By sealing up cells full of contaminated pollen, bees appear to be attempting to protect the rest of the hive
(NaturalNews) A crucial lifeblood to agriculture, bees continue to face threats of extinction by things like pollution and pesticides, both of which are implicated in causing mass bee die-offs, also known as "colony collapse disorder" or CCD (http://www.naturalnews.com/honey_be...). And scientists say that because of this massive onslaught of toxins, bees are actually entombing, or sealing off, their hive cells in an attempt to quarantine polluted pollen and prevent it from destroying the entire colony.

The Guardian writes that scientists began noticing differences among hive cells containing normal pollen, and others containing tainted pollen. The tainted cells were sunken and covered with a waxy layer of propolis, a sticky resin substance with antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. Upon analysis, the propolis-covered cells were found to contain high levels of pesticides and other toxic pollutants, indicating that the bees were purposely covering them in propolis to protect the hive.

"This is a novel finding, and very striking," said Jeff Pettis, an entomologist at the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). "The implication is that the bees are sensing [pesticides] and actually sealing it off. They are recognizing that something is wrong with the pollen and encapsulating it. Bees would not normally seal off pollen."

Researchers also noted that while the sealing efforts are a type of emergency reaction by bees to being bombarded with toxins, they are not really all that effective in the end. According to Pettis, most of the colonies with entombed cells ended up dying off anyway.

Though there are likely other factors contributing to CCD, pesticides play a considerably substantial role in the devastating phenomenon. In fact, a document leaked back in late 2010 revealed that a popular pesticide known as clothianidin, which was approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 1993, is directly responsible for killing off bees -- and the EPA has known this for a while but has done nothing about it (http://www.naturalnews.com/030921_E...).
Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #2505
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...-research.html

The brain really can be half asleep, claims research
Moments of absent mindedness such as losing your keys could be the result of tiny parts of the brain taking "naps" to recharge, a study finds.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #2506
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/p...ie-proof-house

Zombie proof house

Check it out - more pics @ source
Old 04-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #2507
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

from www.camionetica.com

Old 04-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #2508
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://sittingnow.co.uk/2011/04/28/k...nbridge-wells/

Ninja brings justice to the mean streets of Tunbridge Wells

Ever found yourself wandering the mean-streets of Tunbridge Wells, a small town nestled in the leafy county of Kent? Ever wandered if the police can handle potential crimes, such as: Littering, Cat loss, Parking in disabled spots when able-bodied, and of course hooliganism?

Well wonder no more, The Tunbridge Wells Ninja is here to right wrongs, and … erm … prevent fraudulent parking:

Quote:
The masked vigilante – who looks remarkably like a man in judo pyjamas and a balaclava – patrols the streets, righting wrongs and giving hope to the residents of the Kent town.
His feats include heroics such as returning lost cats to their owners and warning illegally parked drivers that they risk a parking fine.
The Ninja even has a Facebook page where he posts videos of his heroic acts, and corrects peoples assertions that he doesn’t actually exist:

Quote:
Facebook seems to think I am not a real person but I can assure you that I am. The rumours are true. I am a ninja and I am patrolling Tunbridge Wells,’…‘It is my aim to help people, I am inspired by Neighbourhood Watch, which people seem to have forgotten about. So I’ve created Ninja Watch.
Well it looks like – at least for now – the people of Tunbridge Wells can sleep safe once again.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #2509
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

haunterInterested in investing in demonic real estate? The home was built in 1763 by Stephen Harris, a wealthy merchant. Subsequently his children died and his wife descended into madness — in real life, not the Lovecraft story. Additionally, there likely are colonial-era corpses buried in the backyard. The Lovecraftian notes ominously:

The home at 135 Benefit Street in Providence, Rhode Island, that’s featured in H.P. Lovecraft’s story “The Shunned House” is for sale. And if you’re looking for “a particular house on the eastern side of the street; a dingy, antiquated structure perched on the abruptly rising side-hill, with a great unkempt yard dating from a time when the region was partly open country” and you’ve got $925,000, it could be yours.

The house had a colorful history even before Lovecraft wrote about it, none of which is mentioned in the real estate listing however. Aside from a giant monster buried in the basement (which can, admittedly, be killed with acid), it has four bedrooms, a koi pond and a library.

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/04/lovec...e-is-for-sale/
Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #2510
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/04...trophe-coming/

Paul Farrell notes that “Many, many experts did predict and warn of the 2008 meltdown years in advance.” Yet it seems that business, finance and political leaders ALWAYS fail to see the next collapse coming. Why is that?

To answer this, Farrell channels Jeremy Grantham:

“Why do national leaders fail over and over to learn the lessons of history? Grantham said it best in a Barron’s interview a couple years ago: “Why is it that several dozen people saw this crisis coming for years? I described it as being like watching a train wreck in very slow motion. It seemed so inevitable and so merciless, and yet the bosses of Merrill Lynch and Citi and even Treasury Secretary Paulson and Fed Chairman Bernanke, none of them seemed to see it coming.”

Farrell enumerates seven reasons this always has, and is likely again, to lead to more trouble. He advises you to not forget any of the following elements:

1. Many, many experts did predict and warn of the 2008 meltdown years in advance.

2. Wall Street banks, corporate executives and Washington politicians are short-term decision-makers.

3. Most business, banking and financial leaders are short-term thinkers, focused on today’s trades, quarterly earnings and annual bonuses. Long-term historical thinking is a low priority.

4. As a result, it is virtually certain that America’s leaders will focus on upbeat, good news and always miss the next meltdown because warnings of a coming catastrophe are ignored.

5. Warnings from the few with a long-term perspective will always be dismissed during every investment cycle and every future recession/recovery cycle. Always. It’s in their DNA, trapped in their brain cells and demanded by their followers.

6. If you are a typical left-brain Wall Street or corporate executive, it’s virtually certain that you will miscalculate the timing/impact of the next meltdown, the next big collapse that’s off your radar. As a result, your company’s assets are at risk of suffering massive losses that are “predictable, not random.” But because you’re in denial, you will not deem it necessary to take steps to protect your assets.

7. If you’re a right-brain thinker, your longer-term historical perspective will give you a clear advantage in preparing for the next crash and the depression that follows.

File this away, and look back at it in a few years — I like to do that with Outlook or Yahoo Calendars, and get a pop message. This one is scheduled for 2014 . . .

>

Source:
2008 crash deja vu: We’ll relive it, and soon
Paul B. Farrell
Marketwatch, April 26, 2011
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/200...oon-2011-04-26
Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #2511
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #2512
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
I LOVE philoso-raptor
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #2513
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I also like the "praying mantis crazy girlfriend" meme:

Old 05-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #2514
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Going Underground

If you visit here often you've probably noticed it's been real quiet for a while.

I mean, it's not like there's nothing going on in the world that can't be commented on, it's just that I've stopped caring and have come to the conclusion that it's impossible to determine exactly what's really taking place since all media is propaganda in one form or another.

That's what the internet has become. That's what people have created. It's gotten old and dull to me.

Basically, the web is saturated in so much ****, and bombards you with so much unverifiable information, that I no longer care or take any interest.

The world is going to hell in a hand basket, and quite frankly, it's pointless highlighting the obvious when nothing I say or do here will change anything anyway. So my advice is to look after No.1, detach yourself from all of it, and go spend some time with the people you love and care about.

These days it's all Facebook and Twitter and everyone has something to say but little of it worth taking an interest in. In other words, it's all about ego and displaying how popular you are and who you're connected to.

I tire of people's self-centredness real quick!

If you want to network socially with people then have a barbeque, or go to the pub and interact with people in person. Maybe grow some vegetables, enjoy a nice meal together, or embark on a project with like-minded individuals. In other words, quit wasting your time online, that's what everyone is doing and it's unimaginative to be like everyone else.

If you're unhappy about the political environment, or pissed at the current financial meltdown, then take to the streets.

Join a protest group, throw a brick through a window, or take a dump on the floor of your local financial institution. Blogging about it will achieve nothing but taking action will send a clear message.

The era of the browser is over for me. The Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP) that we've all come to accept as "the internet" is dead. The future of the internet lies perhaps in the old protocols and most definitely in more modern ones such as BitTorrent.

Perhaps the rediscovery and use of protocols like Telnet or FTP is where Media Underground will go in the future, reopening long forgotten communication portals and doing so with the latest technology.

This site has never been about popularity, or advertising, or making money. Media Underground was setup primarily for the exchange of information and at its peak a few years ago, it achieved that and more. But times change and methods need to be readjusted.

It's time the underground went underground.

If you have any ideas about how we go about this then email me before I quit using IMAP, POP3 and SMTP as well (due to the constant influx of spam-saturated bull****).

Humanity ruins everything that becomes popular. Email and browser-based interactions are now highly inefficient, clogged up, and deeply uninspiring.

The modern internet is about selling you products, and I don't like products.

The modern internet is about selling you as a product, and I don't want to be prostituted.

The modern internet is about popularity, and I despise popularity.

So, let's move forward. If we're going to continue we need to distance ourselves from the methods that everyone else is using.

Let's become unpopular. Let's go underground.
It is becoming impossible to do anything online without linking yourself to something else. It's getting pretty disturbing as a trend.

Screw Facebook!
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #2515
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

"I Would For You"

I'm everybody's slave
I made you my slave
You said
This I do for you
If it would help
To give the world back
What it gave
Then I would
I would
I would
I would
I would for you
I would for you

You say my eyes
Are crazy eyes
Sometimes they are
And so are you
And if you wonder
What I would do
I would do
Anything
If I could
You know I would
I would
I would
I would for you
I would for you
I would for you
I would for you
I would for you
Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #2516
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
It is becoming impossible to do anything online without linking yourself to something else. It's getting pretty disturbing as a trend.

Screw Facebook!
I'm on it - but I don't use it to put a huge part of my life up there - but I do use it for making "connections" to certain things.

I do know more and more of my friends in the 30's age range that are "unplugging".
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #2517
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://mindhacks.com/2011/04/30/the-death-of-the-mind/

Business Week has an important article on how internet companies are using the massive data sets collected from the minutia of users’ behaviour to influence customer choices.

The article is a useful insight into how tech companies are basing their entire profit model on the ability to model and manipulate human behaviour but the implication for psychology is, perhaps, more profound.

Psychological theories and ideas about how the mind work seem to play a small, if not absent role in these models which are almost entirely based on deriving mathematical models from massive data sets.

Quote:
Sometimes the objective is simply to turn people on. Zynga, the maker of popular Facebook games such as CityVille and FarmVille, collects 60 billion data points per day—how long people play games, when they play them, what they’re buying, and so forth. The Wants (Zynga’s term is “data ninjas”) troll this information to figure out which people like to visit their friends’ farms and cities, the most popular items people buy, and how often people send notes to their friends.

Discovery: People enjoy the games more if they receive gifts from their friends, such as the virtual wood and nails needed to build a digital barn. As for the poor folks without many friends who aren’t having as much fun, the Wants came up with a solution. “We made it easier for those players to find the parts elsewhere in the game, so they relied less on receiving the items as gifts,” says Ken Rudin, Zynga’s vice-president for analytics.
Although the example given might seem trivial, it is a massive generator of profit and can be applied to any sort of online behaviour.

What’s striking is that the relationships between the context, motivations, evaluation and behaviour of the users is not being described in terms of how the mind or brain understand and respond the situation but purely as a statistical relationship.

It is psychology devoid of psychology. Rather than the wisdom of crowds approach, it’s the behaviour of zombies model. Unsurprisingly, none of the entrepreneurs mentioned are cognitive scientists. They’re all mathematicians.

I am reminded of the Wired article ‘The End of Theory’ which warned that big data crunching computers could solve scientific problems in the same way. The generated mathematical model ‘works’ but the model is uninterpretable and does not help us understand anything about what’s being studied.

Similarly, while the experimental psychologist’s dream for more than a century has been to work with large data sets to have confidence in our conclusions about the mind, the reality, currently being realised, may actually make the mind redundant in the majority of the commercial world.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #2518
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/02/a...res-to-mit-sa/

Amar Bose donates majority of Bose Corporation shares to MIT, says thanks for the education

If you haven't heard of Dr. Amar Bose directly, you've surely heard of his eponymous audio equipment company. Late last week, the 81-year old founder and chairman of Bose Corporation announced that he's donating the majority of shares in the privately held company to his alma mater, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. A member of that college's graduating class of 1951 and its electrical engineering faculty all the way until 2001, Bose felt compelled to give something back and he's opted for the most grandiose of gestures. MIT won't be able to sell its shares in Bose Corp. nor have any say in the way it is run, but it'll receive dividends as and when they're paid out, which will then be reinvested in its research and education programs. In making this perpetual endowment public, Amar Bose took the time to credit Professors Y. W. Lee, Norbert Wiener and Jerome Wiesner as his mentors -- in the image above, you can see him pictured with Lee (left) and Wiener (right) back in 1955. Chalkboards, that's where it all began.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #2519
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://webecoist.com/2011/05/02/lost...ed-in-mystery/

Lost Civilizations: 12 Societies that Vanished in Mystery

Why would a flourishing civilization, advanced for its time, suddenly cease to exist, its inhabitants gone and its architecture abandoned? Conspiracy theorists offer all manner of offbeat explanations including alien abduction, but in the case of these 12 societies, the causes were likely more mundane: natural disasters, climate change, invasions and economic irrelevance. Still, we don’t know – and likely never will – exactly what happened to bring about the end of the Khmer Empire of Cambodia, the Minoan society of Crete or two ancient civilizations right here in the United States.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #2520
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/di...omment-trolls/

It sounds like the deranged words of a conspiracy theorist: The U.S. military is (not so) secretly creating software that’ll generate phony online personae in order to subtly influence social media conversations and spread propaganda. But what may sound like wacky theory is actually wacky reality, or at least will soon be, depending on whether it’s already in the works.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #2521
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/05/why-f...dia-discourse/

Why Facts No Longer Matter In The Media Discourse

Posted by Danny Schechter on May 1, 2011

birthHow should we understand this latest and most troubling insight into the reality of our media ecology?

In the aftermath of the resolution of the Great Birther bash-up, even as President Obama tried to lay the issue at rest by producing the document that showed, proved, verified, documented, and validated his birth in one of the great states of our disunion, it was said that its release would only fuel more debate, and convince no one.

In other words, in the end, this long debated fact didn’t matter.

Facts no longer seem to matter on other issues, too, as articulated in the now infamous memo issued by retiring Senator Jon Kyle whose office, when confronted with evidence that he misspoke on the matter of how much money Planned Parenthood spent on abortions—he claimed 90%, the truth was but 3%—issued an advisory that said, “The statement was not meant to be factual.”

Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert had a lot of fun with that but one thing that’s not funny is that even when media coverage discredits or exposes some canard, public opinion is not necessarily impacted.

It doesn’t change the minds of those whose minds are made up.

Once some people buy into a narrative or worldview they seem to be locked into a way of thinking. For some, efforts to discredit a conspiracy theory offer more evidence that the conspiracy is valid, because why else would THEY want to refute it.

If you don’t trust the President, don’t believe he is an American or do believe he is a socialist, nothing he or his supporters say will change your mind. After all, what would you expect them to say?

So even refutation can turn into reinforcement and trigger more stridency.

Dismissing critics as “silly,” as Obama has done, only annoys them and makes them more determined to cling to their ideas, attitudes and anger.

The values (and prejudices) people grew up with often shape their worldviews. Their parochialism limits what they are exposed to. Their schooling and narrow range of experience seem to have had little impact in broadening their views.

Political scientist Thomas Patterson describes this as “The process by which individuals acquire their political opinions is called political socialization. This process begins in childhood, when, through family and school, Americans acquire many of their basic political values and beliefs. Socialization continues into adulthood, when peers, political institutions and leaders, and the news media are major influences.”

Writes Edward Song on Huffington Post,

“For example, people who believe in health care reform value helping the poor and needy. For progressives, it is moral to help the poor.

For conservatives, helping the poor is helping people who are irresponsible, and goes against their principle of individual responsibility. The conservative’s solution to poverty is called “Tough Love.” Whether you believe in helping the poor is a matter of values and not a matter of logic. Believing otherwise is the big progressive mistake over the last 40 years.”

Conservative columnists like John Hawkins seem to subscribe to this view too. Writing on Townhall.com, he argues,

“The sad truth of the matter is that most Americans don’t pay much attention to politics and those that do often just parrot doctrine instead of investigating issues with an open mind. This allows lies, myths, and dubious assertions to live on long after they should have shriveled and died in the light of day.”

Surprisingly, he also quotes JFK: “No matter how big the lie; repeat it often enough and the masses will regard it as the truth.”

Media outlets play a role in fashioning a culture of repetition, producing armies of “ditto heads” who are exposed to message-point pseudo journalism that they in turn regurgitate to advance partisan agendas. This approach is built into the design of the new polarizing and politicized media system.

This leads in the words of Vietnam War chronicler Tim O’Brian to how “you lose your sense of the definite, hence your sense of truth itself.” He was writing about military wars abroad but his insight applies to political wars at home as well. We are all becoming casualties of a media war in which democracy is collateral damage.

No surprisingly, the dominance of conservative media produces more people who align themselves as conservatives and will only understand the world that way. The shortage of progressive media outlets limits the mass the circulation of progressive perspectives. No wonder the media marketplace is so devoid of competing ideas.

Beyond that, media outlets legitimize virtually all controversies as valid, however contrived they may be, just to have something to talk about. This legitimates subjects with the noise of continuing blather and contentious discussion featuring superficial analysis by unqualified pundits.

One consequence, according to GOP political consultant Mark McKinnon is that voters cast ballots on attributes not issues. “They want to see the appearance of strength in leaders, and are less persuaded by what they say.”

That means, news programs ultimately trade in fostering impressions, not conveying information. Viewers trust their feelings over facts.

Remember, one of the most profitable formats on cable TV is not news but wrestling driven by cartoonish characters and invented confrontations. Is it any wonder that ratings hungry news programs take a similar approach to political combat. They are in the business of producing numbers for advertisers more than explanations for viewers.

John Cory commented on the media role in legitimating the birther issue and turning it into a form of entertainment, calling it ” a sorry and sad day for America.”

“What does it say about our ‘media’ that they have spent so much time and so much effort promoting crazy over reality? That our ‘media’ relishes circus clowns jumping out of their clown-cars and spraying clown-seltzer everywhere and then giddily covers the wet and stained audience reaction while ignoring the burning of fact?”

So, it is the media system itself, not Donald Trump or some crazy, that is the real “carnival barker” in the President’s words, Their programs program the audience by constantly and continually framing issues in a trivial matter. Manipulating emotion is their modality, doubt their currency and cynicism their methodology, except, of course, on issues like the economy, Israel or US wars.

The shame of it is that they know what they are doing, know what the impact of what passes for “coverage” will be, but do it anyway.
Filmmaker and News Dissector Danny Schechter edits Mediachannel.org.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #2522
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia
Default Xerox

We've all known that a copy of a copy of a copy loses parts of the original. Here's something cool that showed up on BoingBoing. think about this, in terms of many different things:

Culture - when things get borrowed or recycled to the point that the original meaning is lost (traditions/ceremonies/holidays)....

Music, etc

....and now...on with our show:

http://feeds.boingboing.net/~r/boing...mbodies-l.html

Artist Daniel Bejar had a key copied and then a new key copied from it, and so on, until the information embodied in the original key had been lost. He calls the resulting piece "The Visual Topography of a Generation Gap": "A copy was made from my original apartment key, then a copy was made from that copy. This process was repeated until the original keys information was destroyed, resulting in the topography of a generation."

"The Visual Topography of a Generation Gap"(#2, Brooklyn, NY) (Thanks, Fipi Lele!)
Old 05-04-2011, 06:04 AM   #2523
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Holy bad ass:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/03/a...compatibility/

Adobe Photoshop update ushers in new era of iPad compatibility

We've been quite enamored with Adobe's demos of iPad / Photoshop interactivity for some time, and now it looks as if we'll finally be able to take the whole thing for a spin. As promised, the company today released Creative Suite 5.5, which offers, among other things, the ability to use tablets and smartphones to interact with the company's flagship image editing software. While there's still no word of apps for other platforms, Adobe has given Apple's "magical" device a special namecheck, and those previously announced Eazel, Color Lava, and Nav apps will likely be hitting the App Store any minute now. Owners of the now ancient Photoshop CS5 will also be able to utilize the new feature through the recently released 12.0.4 update. Press releases after the break.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #2524
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.kurzweilai.net/flexible-p...hone-or-tablet

PaperPhone, an interactive computer that looks, feels, and operates like a small sheet of interactive paper, has been developed by engineers at Queen’s University Human Media Lab.

The flexible paper computer can be bent into a cell phone, flipped like a book, or written upon with a pen. It does everything a smartphone does, like store books, play music, and make phone calls.

But its display consists of a 9.5 cm diagonal thin film flexible E Ink display. The flexible form of the display makes it much more portable that any current mobile computer: it will shape to your pocket.

The ability to store and interact with documents on larger versions of these light, flexible computers means offices will no longer require paper or printers, say the engineers. They say the invention heralds a new generation of computers that are super-lightweight, thin-film, and flexible. The computers use no power when users are not interacting with them. When users are reading, they don’t feel like they’re holding a sheet of glass or metal.

The new thin-film paper computer will be unveiled May 10 at the Association of Computing Machinery’s CHI 2011 (Computer Human Interaction) conference in Vancouver.

**Embedded links & vids @ source
Old 05-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #2525
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia