The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Ryan Harris draft pick a waste?

Seriously, between his back and his inability to keep on weight, and the fact that we just drafted Clady makes the Harris experiment seem like a big waste of time. Does anyone really see him suited for anything but LT?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
Dukes
Ring of Famer

I don't know what else he can play, but if he's strickly a LT and nothing else then yes he's a waste
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I personally think he's our RT for the next decade with Clady, Kuper, Hamilton and Holland filling out the best OL we've had since the SB years.

At the least, he could be a capable backup OT which is extremely valuable in today's NFL. Certainly you'd like your 3rd rounders to be on the field (which I believe Harris will be soon), by OL and DL are positions where you can never have enough talent.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

I think he'll wind up at center. He's not big or physical enough for RT and I'm not sure how he is at pulling in space but he might be groomed to take Nalen's spot. Maybe he becomes a utility guy who fills in at more than one spot off the bench. It's to early to call him a bust when he wasn't even healthy last year.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

From what I've heard the front office likes Harris at this point.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
I think he'll wind up at center. He's not big or physical enough for RT and I'm not sure how he is at pulling in space but he might be groomed to take Nalen's spot. Maybe he becomes a utility guy who fills in at more than one spot off the bench. It's to early to call him a bust when he wasn't even healthy last year.
has he ever played this before?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #7
easymobee
mobile quarterback

22 for 218 : 5 TD's vs Chiefs

I feel good having Clady and Harris both availiable for time at LT, I don't want to flashback to when Erik Pears was our only option after Lepsis got hurt during Cutlers rookie yr.
easymobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:20 AM   #8
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Give Harris time. Give Clady OLT.

When have the Broncos had too much depth on the OL?
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:35 AM   #9
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

The coaches love him. I expect Clady to be at RT to start competing with Kuper for the Job. I think Harris and Pears will be competing for the LT job.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:13 AM   #10
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

I'm starting to feel much better about our talent/depth on the Oline.

Cutler with time to throw is a scary prospect for other teams
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:15 AM   #11
wabbit
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The coaches love him...
The staff does like Harris. He's a particularly smart young guy and has smooth mechanics in both run and pass blocking.

The knock on him has been more health related than anything else.

Not so sure about the LT competition for Harris, but getting Clady experience at RT isn't bad idea at all, especially considering the supposition that his run blocking needs to most work.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:17 AM   #12
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
The staff does like Harris. He's a particularly smart young guy and has smooth mechanics in both run and pass blocking.

Not so sure about the LT competition for Harris, but getting Clady experience at RT isn't bad idea at all, especially considering the supposition that his run blocking needs to most work.
Wabbit, this is OT I know. But have you heard anything about Mcdonald Bag's injury?
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:27 AM   #13
wabbit
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
Wabbit, this is OT I know. But have you heard anything about Mcdonald Bag's injury?
Only that the staff is still very concerned and has extracted a promise from Marshall that he will stick to a very rigid re-hab regimen.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #14
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Clady will be our starting LT this year. The guys we had just are no match for this serious upgrade at the position. I know some of you harbor homeristic attitudes to Harris and pears but give me a break. Clady at #12 will be our starting LT, hands-down (not RT). If he can't win a starting job THIS year at LT over Kuper, Pears or Harris then we had no business drafting this guy.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:38 AM   #15
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post

Isnt the right tackle normally supposed to be a good run blocker?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:39 AM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
has he ever played this before?
Not that I know of, but they seem to move some of these backup guys around on the line a lot so it won't surprise me if we see him slotted in there at some point. He's not an RT, that much I'm pretty sure of. Then again...neither is Pears...a least not a starting caliber one IMO. Right now I don't really care becaue I'm just glad we finally adressed the pass protection for Jay. I'd love it if we picked up another true power tackle to challenge the right side. The Ohio State kid Nicks is a monster with 1st round talent but very raw an inexperienced and he's still there.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:10 AM   #17
Drek
Ring of Famer

Having watched Harris through basically his entire college career I'd have to say that he could make a very good RT, if he can stay healthy. But then I think he'd also make a very good LT or OG if healthy as well.

He's very mobile, so the various shifts and pulls required by our OL, both inside and out, should be very easy for him. In fact, in Weiss' pro style offense at ND Harris was typically the guy most often asked to make key blocks in space, get downfield, etc..

It really all comes down to how his back will fare when he starts to see regular NFL action. If he can stay healthy he'll be able to stay at the 305-310 range that gives him enough bulk and power to be effective at basically any OL position, given his excellent technique and mobility. If he keeps having back problems though it'll drive his weight down just like it did at ND and he'll never be a reliable OT.

I think the back problems will clear up and that he'll establish himself as our RT. Shanahan has said that LT is Clady's job to lose and I don't think he's going to lose it. He's so much more significantly talented than our other OT options that its basically a rigged competition. The biggest obstacle Harris will face other than injury is Kuper, who I think could become a standout RT himself.

One thing to keep in mind though, even if Kuper wins the RT job we still have value in Harris. He can backup both OT spots and given some time we could probably expand his effectiveness to backing up at OG as well. He also played special teams every year at ND until his senior year and is a very mobile blocker on kick and punt returns, something we need a lot more of. He's got versatility, and if he stays healthy we'll get good value for him.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:12 AM   #18
Atlas
Draft Defense Early&Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Having watched Harris through basically his entire college career I'd have to say that he could make a very good RT, if he can stay healthy. But then I think he'd also make a very good LT or OG if healthy as well.

He's very mobile, so the various shifts and pulls required by our OL, both inside and out, should be very easy for him. In fact, in Weiss' pro style offense at ND Harris was typically the guy most often asked to make key blocks in space, get downfield, etc..

It really all comes down to how his back will fare when he starts to see regular NFL action. If he can stay healthy he'll be able to stay at the 305-310 range that gives him enough bulk and power to be effective at basically any OL position, given his excellent technique and mobility. If he keeps having back problems though it'll drive his weight down just like it did at ND and he'll never be a reliable OT.

I think the back problems will clear up and that he'll establish himself as our RT. Shanahan has said that LT is Clady's job to lose and I don't think he's going to lose it. He's so much more significantly talented than our other OT options that its basically a rigged competition. The biggest obstacle Harris will face other than injury is Kuper, who I think could become a standout RT himself.

One thing to keep in mind though, even if Kuper wins the RT job we still have value in Harris. He can backup both OT spots and given some time we could probably expand his effectiveness to backing up at OG as well. He also played special teams every year at ND until his senior year and is a very mobile blocker on kick and punt returns, something we need a lot more of. He's got versatility, and if he stays healthy we'll get good value for him.
Harris will be fine or he won't who cares.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:57 AM   #19
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
The coaches love him. I expect Clady to be at RT to start competing with Kuper for the Job. I think Harris and Pears will be competing for the LT job.
So once again, we're going to take a guy out of his natural position, and put him somewhere else.......WTF?

Clady is an LT.....PLAY HIM AT LT.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:06 AM   #20
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
So once again, we're going to take a guy out of his natural position, and put him somewhere else.......WTF?

Shanahan has already said he's the No1 LT as of now.

Last edited by eddie mac; 04-27-2008 at 07:08 AM..
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #21
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Harris will be fine or he won't who cares.
Well, I'm guessing we do. Hence the thread.

I don't know about you but I'm a Bronco fan. I enjoy watching them succeed and I enjoy discussing the personnel and attached personnel moves that lead to said success.

Therefore, when we have a potentially very talented young guy like Harris, but no clear home for him and questions about if he can succeed, I enjoy discussing it with equally interested peers, giving feedback to one another through informed and articulate discussion.

Maybe I mistook the purpose of a message board dedicated to a football team though.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #22
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post

well in college, the guy played Guard, RT, LT, and DEFENSIVE TACKLE ... so i'm not sure it's fair to use this logic...I'm more or less with you though, in that if he is good enough to start at LT right off the bat, then do it, cause he's most valuable there
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #23
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

yeah it has been said but Harris will end up at RT with Clady at LT...I don't think it was a waste at all personally
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #24
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

If Harris can be our guy at RT with Clady working out at LT, we've got a great set of pass-blocking OT's to protect Jay for the next decade.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #25
Billy Clyde Puckett
Billy=Semi Tough Big Guy

Looking down on KC, SD and Oakland

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

Harris was a desperation pick last year. The Broncs had to draft an OT after Lepsis injury and the Foster debacle. Unfortunately, last year there were only 2 legit tackles in the draft and they went in the first 5 picks.
Billy Clyde Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote