The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
easymobee
mobile quarterback

22 for 218 : 5 TD's vs Chiefs

Default Chiefs draft day 1 is gonna be hard to top.

1a. Ryan Sims
1b. Trezelle Jenkins
2. William Bartee

I'm afraid that Carl P. is somehow going to get his "bust" searching all out of his system in one weekend rather than spreading it out over an entire decade as we have previously been conditioned to expect.

Here's to hoping.

Last edited by easymobee; 04-27-2008 at 01:31 AM..
easymobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

the chiefs had an outstanding day............much better than ours........
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:33 AM   #3
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
Perhaps you'd like it better if we'd given away Champ Bailey for a handful of draft picks?
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Perhaps you'd like it better if we'd given away Champ Bailey for a handful of draft picks?
That's pretty much what they did except it would be Bailey at 26 with some DUI's.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
easymobee
mobile quarterback

22 for 218 : 5 TD's vs Chiefs

This thread is just meant to curse the Chiefs. I think Glenn Dorsey is a good DT and if he had gone almost anywhere else he would have a great career (ARZ excluded) , but i think that due to CP's "kiss of death" we could be looking at Ryan Sims 2.0.
easymobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:50 AM   #6
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's pretty much what they did except it would be Bailey at 26 with some DUI's.
No doubt. That's all I kept telling myself when the panel was just talking about how great the picks were for the chiefs and what an awesome job they did. Gee, let's trade Bailey for a mid 1st rounder and say we landed Mendenhall along with our new LT. Then everybody would be saying how great we did. IMHO, Dorsey is gonna be a very good DT but Allen was a very good DE, which has more value. Our LT is better then who they picked up I think so they did okay. Nothing spectacular I don't think. They actually are gonna miss all those sacks. I don't see who they have who can put pressure on the QB. Dorsey, in year 1, I don't think so. Even so, it's easy to chip and help on a DT instead of a DE.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

isnt that the point of the draft? the crappier your team is, the better draft pics you have?
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
TomServo
Ring of Famer

Dancing is Forbidden!

and the chiefs have been so obviously crappy
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:54 AM   #9
StuPedaso
Just Drafted

New to the Planet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Granted our AFC West foe had a good day one.

What they failed to wrap-up this past week and lost in FA conditions the choices made. Not sure Perterson has it wrapped as much as he sure seems bent on proving he is in charge.

Seems the CAP is more the determinant than the excessive moves of the GM and he and therefore they will subject to one man's ego far more than we.

Our picks are more in-line with our needs. Cheifs can do as they please. Our picks better serve OUR needs than their's support theirs.
StuPedaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:03 AM   #10
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Ryan Sims only looked good because Julius Peppers made him look good. On paper this looks like KC's best draft since 1996.

KC has had the best draft by far, but they also needed a great draft. Denver didn't.
What's even better is that KC has THREE 3rd round picks and there is a ton of great players left!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:06 AM   #11
Ugly Duck
Proof: SD fans DO exist!

RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuPedaso View Post
Our picks better serve OUR needs than their's support theirs.
Why? The Chiefs need everything. Any good players would fit their needs....
Ugly Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:18 AM   #12
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Ryan Sims only looked good because Julius Peppers made him look good. On paper this looks like KC's best draft since 1996.

KC has had the best draft by far, but they also needed a great draft. Denver didn't.
What's even better is that KC has THREE 3rd round picks and there is a ton of great players left!
...and all it cost you was your best player....
Old 04-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

cheifs draft looks good on paper but one of these picks has to be an all pro at his position just to match what Allen brought to the table. Let's not forget Cheifs lost there best football player on defense to get those extra picks. If the picks don't hit watch out. Dorsey has to be an all pro then they are even.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:45 AM   #14
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

KC did a pretty good job, I hate to say. KC is gonna be a force in the AFC W for a few years to come. Denver is gonna be hard pressed to win the AFC W title for the next 5 years. I think Denver won't win the AFC W title again until 2015. Jeez, I'm a jerk, but there we are.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:47 AM   #15
alanm
Hanging Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
cheifs draft looks good on paper but one of these picks has to be an all pro at his position just to match what Allen brought to the table. Let's not forget Cheifs lost there best football player on defense to get those extra picks. If the picks don't hit watch out. Dorsey has to be an all pro then they are even.
As much as I hated to see Allen go. That feeling was replaced by Dorsey falling to them at 5. He's going to command double teams freeing up what ever DE replaces Allen. Brandon Alberts is certainly the best guard in the draft. There going to slide him over to LT and McIntosh will play RT. Waters and Alberts will make LJ happy once again. And Brandon Flowers as well with their 2nd.
Now if they can grab Carl Nicks with one of their 3rds I'll be ecstatic.

I thought you guys had a pretty decent day as well.
alanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:59 AM   #16
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
As much as I hated to see Allen go. That feeling was replaced by Dorsey falling to them at 5. He's going to command double teams freeing up what ever DE replaces Allen. Brandon Alberts is certainly the best guard in the draft. There going to slide him over to LT and McIntosh will play RT. Waters and Alberts will make LJ happy once again. And Brandon Flowers as well with their 2nd.
Now if they can grab Carl Nicks with one of their 3rds I'll be ecstatic.

I thought you guys had a pretty decent day as well.

do you think LJs body can handle another 400+ carry season?

I think LJs best days are behind him. Once you hit the 400+ in a single season, you never come back IMO
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #17
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
Are you counting losing the best DE in pro football in that first day?
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:19 AM   #18
SlipperyPete
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Dorsey is gonna be a very good DT but Allen was a very good DE, which has more value.
Is that a serious question? A good DT is more valuable. By far. Hell, Allen was a 4th round pick. So was Dumervil. You can find good DEs. How many top DTs are there in the league? If they were easy to come by, we wouldn't keep signing and trading for castoffs in the hopes of finding one.

Dorsey is an absolute freak. I hoped like hell the Falcons would take him, because I didn't want him anywhere near the AFC West.
SlipperyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:35 AM   #19
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
...and all it cost you was your best player....

That may be, but KC got the better end of the deal. I would rather shell out less money total to BOTH Glenn Dorsey and Branden Albert than pay Jared Allen the biggest contract a defensive lineman has ever gotten
Old 04-27-2008, 04:39 AM   #20
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
No doubt. That's all I kept telling myself when the panel was just talking about how great the picks were for the chiefs and what an awesome job they did. Gee, let's trade Bailey for a mid 1st rounder and say we landed Mendenhall along with our new LT. Then everybody would be saying how great we did. IMHO, Dorsey is gonna be a very good DT but Allen was a very good DE, which has more value. Our LT is better then who they picked up I think so they did okay. Nothing spectacular I don't think. They actually are gonna miss all those sacks. I don't see who they have who can put pressure on the QB. Dorsey, in year 1, I don't think so. Even so, it's easy to chip and help on a DT instead of a DE.
Nowhere close to being true. You see DE's like Jared Allen, Elvis Dumeriville, Mark Anderson et,c being stud DE's that aren't drafted in the first round. There are far more dominant DE's than there are DT's.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:42 AM   #21
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
That may be, but KC got the better end of the deal. I would rather shell out less money total to BOTH Glenn Dorsey and Branden Albert than pay Jared Allen the biggest contract a defensive lineman has ever gotten
If either one of those players winds up being successful in the NFL, you will end up paying them well, too. Or like Allen, you'll see them in a different uniform.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:53 AM   #22
StuPedaso
Just Drafted

New to the Planet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Duck View Post
Why? The Chiefs need everything. Any good players would fit their needs....

Lepsis=gone, Clady HERE
WR signing spree Here= drafted potentially impactful Wide Out AND a Special Teams "likely" up-grade...SPEED

OUR picks answered our needs better n Cheifs
StuPedaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:33 AM   #23
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

I really don't think its wise to start mocking another teams' picks before training camp has even started.....once the draft is over we'll all have to wait and see.

As for comparing the contribution of Dorsey to the contirbution Allen WOULD HAVE made if he was still there, you have to look at 2-3 years from now, not next season. That's certainly what the Cheifs were thinking about when they pulled the trigger. If the 2010 season sees Dorsey in the pro-bowl and Allen getting 7 sacks then you have to agree they did the right thing.

The only thing I take some heart from is that the Cheifs appear to be at least a year or two behind us in their rebuilding program, and they don't have anything like the quarteback we have have to build the new team around......
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Nowhere close to being true. You see DE's like Jared Allen, Elvis Dumeriville, Mark Anderson et,c being stud DE's that aren't drafted in the first round. There are far more dominant DE's than there are DT's.
Well, it depends if Dorsey is dominant at the pro level or not.

He's basically got to be Warren Sapp minus the personality issues, not just some run stopper who occasionally generates pressure, thats a damn tall order.

The talent is there, but DTs are probably the single hardest position to transition to the pros because so many of them live off superior talent in college. He will still need someone to take his fundamentals to the next level, and he needs to show that he isn't too undersized for larger NFL interior linemen.

There is also the big injury question with him. He played through '07 with a bad hamstring, sprained knee, and sore back. On top of that the medical professionals at the combine spotted a calcium deposit of some kind in one of his legs form a previous injury as well.

Next KC took Albert. Great potential for, well, something OL related? I think Floyd Reese, part of ESPN's pre-draft coverage, had one of the best comments on Albert. Even Bruce Matthews, one of the best interior linemen of all time, wasn't capable of moving out to LT. Its a tall order and is something that normally occurs in the opposite direction. I'd be surprised if Albert can do it and be a standout at OT. Now if KC doesn't force him into that role and just puts him where he can be productive (probably at OG) he'll be a very good pickup.

Brandon Flowers has everything you want in a CB except for his 4.55 speed. We'll have to see if that becomes an issue at the pro level. I believe Herm has installed the Tampa Cover 2 defense though which helps mitigate speed needs for CB by relying heavily on zone. If thats true then Flowers could be a solid #2 CB for a good while.

The Chiefs got some good value, but there are question marks about what they'll do with it. Can they finally take a DT to the next level technically? Are they going to tinker with Albert too much and wind up with another Gallery or will they just let him do what he already does best? Will they utilize Flowers in coverage packages that protect him from having his lack of speed used against him?

Wabbit had a good comment on this in one of the Royal threads. It was that Herm is a great guy to draft talent, but not so great at coaching it. He's going to be put to the test here. He's gotten some nice prospects and is going to get a few more early today, but he's got to do something with them for once in his career.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #25
Darkhawk24
Draft Junkie

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The Dorsey pick had nothing to do with trading Allen. You earned that #5 pick with Allen on your team. If I recall Allen also was trying to work a contract out with the Chiefs last year witch would of been no doubt much cheaper... Thank god that didn't happen could you imagine a DL with Allen, Dorsey, and Hall on it?

I'll take KC with a good looking Guard who you hope can move over tackle and a few third rounders instead of Allen please.
Darkhawk24 is offline   Reply With Quote