The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #201
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Well, the hail got me last night. We had a drift 2 feet deep where it emptied from the roof onto the back porch. It Happened over a 6 min period. Crazy, it was mostly pea size so no structural damage but my garden really suffered. Hoping it will bounce back. Anyone from North Texas get caught up in that storm?
If it did not kill it will make them bushy.. sorry to hear. It has rained so damn much here I went out and put dirt on 500 squash plants .. they were damn near unplanted..I have lost almost 500 feet of 1000 feet of cucumber seeds .. this will be the 3rd time I will have replanted them this year.. if does not stop raining I am going to lose all my tomatoes plants I planted them 5'' deep so that will not bother em but they have dirt all over them so I need to stake them and wash as much dirt as I can and get some anti fungus on em I got 400 plants so pulling them off the ground is going to be a b****
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #202
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/apart...d-table-146997

alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #203
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

The strawberries are blooming nicely, I always look forward to this time of year. Fresh off the plant strawberries in the morning is a great treat.

The grapevines are leafing, the fruit from them is a long ways away, but always something to look forward to in the autumn.

The apple tree bloomed, didn't get frosted out and scented the yard nicely. Same with the peach tree.

The green onions from last year have been providing well for a few weeks, and this year's crop is popping up.

The spinach, radish are starting to produce. I'll seed the pole beans, squash, cantaloupe, lettuce, chard, cukes in the next couple days.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #204
Meck77

We're harvesting 1,000 lbs of beautiful tomatoes each week along with other product. Each plant is growing about 2 feet per week.

I've always been a dirt gardener but hydroponics is where the party is at. We're growing 125 heads of lettuce in the space of a full size bed. Takes just 5 weeks to mature.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Meck77; 05-21-2011 at 09:44 PM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #205
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Finally got all my garden out for the year. The list includes: peppers, onions, carrots, lettuce, parsley, oregano (I couldn't kill it if I wanted to), rosemary, and thyme.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #206
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
We're harvesting 1,000 lbs of beautiful tomatoes each week along with other product. Each plant is growing about 2 feet per week.

I've always been a dirt gardener but hydroponics is where the party is at. We're growing 125 heads of lettuce in the space of a full size bed. Takes just 5 weeks to mature.

That's awesome. I have no idea what I would do with 125 heads of lettuce. Do you go to a farmer's market or something?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #207
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
That's awesome. I have no idea what I would do with 125 heads of lettuce. Do you go to a farmer's market or something?
You basically become a vegitarian is what happens.

We sell product to farmers markets, direct to restaurants, and other resellers. A percentage each week goes to charity.

Some people are building the perfect bomb. We're building the perfect tomatoe.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #208
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:

Very nice!!! We have a few places out here that tested "our" product and have claimed at least a 50% increase in biomass, bigger yields, they use less food no matter their media - but in the hydro the results are fast: decreased the salt build up in their systems, less food needed, larger plants and root zones, etc.

The Royal College of Ag tested it, and stated that they won't need to buy near the plant food due to our product and OMRI stated they've never seen an organic product with the complexity we have.

I'm very excited about these new ventures. I hope yours do well, and if you want to do better - hit me up.

****for anyone else - this product works in soil and water medias - and if anyone else is interested - hit me up. I can get you a sample @ cost. (16oz, 32oz, GAL)

http://hydroponics-inc.com/index.html

It's a new site, but it's going to be going live soon - (it's still beta) - if you are looking for something we can help - and we can ship anywhere. If you need more info - hit me up, or I can put you in touch with my partner and he can go into more detail if you need.

Last edited by alkemical; 05-23-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #209
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Very nice!!! We have a few places out here that tested "our" product and have claimed at least a 50% increase in biomass, bigger yields, they use less food no matter their media - but in the hydro the results are fast: decreased the salt build up in their systems, less food needed, larger plants and root zones, etc.

The Royal College of Ag tested it, and stated that they won't need to buy near the plant food due to our product and OMRI stated they've never seen an organic product with the complexity we have.

I'm very excited about these new ventures. I hope yours do well, and if you want to do better - hit me up.

****for anyone else - this product works in soil and water medias - and if anyone else is interested - hit me up. I can get you a sample @ cost. (16oz, 32oz, GAL)

http://hydroponics-inc.com/index.html

It's a new site, but it's going to be going live soon - (it's still beta) - if you are looking for something we can help - and we can ship anywhere. If you need more info - hit me up, or I can put you in touch with my partner and he can go into more detail if you need.
Alkemical...I have not forgotten about your offer. Just been real busy. Happy growing everyone. Tis the season!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #210
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Alkemical...I have not forgotten about your offer. Just been real busy. Happy growing everyone. Tis the season!
Well, we are going live - so i'm opening this up to everyone!!!

We have a golf course here testing it - and so far they are impressed.

I'm just excited about it, i've seen how much this has really helped - and not in that bull**** sales meaning of "help".
Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #211
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://dornob.com/vertical-home-gard...n-wall-system/

Dazzled by dangling gardens, but wish you could have one of your own? This neat and simple system of stackable modules makes it easy to create indoor or outdoor garden ‘plots’, hung from walls or built up from floors, window ledges and deck railings.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #212
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
http://www.disinfo.com/2011/04/scien...crop-collapse/

Scientist Warns That Roundup Ready GM Seeds Could Cause Crop Collapse

Posted by phunkychic666 on April 12, 2011

Roundup_herbicide_logo

The Institute of Science in Society’s Dr. Mae-Wan Ho reports that a USDA senior scientist has sent an “emergency” warning to US Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack regarding a new plant pathogen in Roundup Ready GM soybean and corn that may be responsible for high rates of infertility and spontaneous abortions in livestock:

An open letter appeared on the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance founded and run by Judith McGeary to save family farms in the US [1, 2]. The letter, written by Don Huber, professor emeritus at Purdue University, to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, warns of a pathogen “new to science” discovered by “a team of senior plant and animal scientists”. Huber says it should be treated as an “emergency’’, as it could result in “a collapse of US soy and corn export markets and significant disruption of domestic food and feed supplies.”

The letter appeared to have been written before Vilsack announced his decision to authorize unrestricted commercial planting of GM alfalfa on 1 February, in the hope of convincing the Secretary of Agriculture to impose a moratorium instead on deregulation of Roundup Ready (RR) crops.

The new pathogen appears associated with serious pervasive diseases in plants – sudden death syndrome in soybean and Goss’ wilt in corn – but its suspected effects on livestock is alarming. Huber refers to “recent reports of infertility rates in dairy heifers of over 20%, and spontaneous abortions in cattle as high as 45%.”

This could be the worst nightmare of genetic engineering that some scientists including me have been warning for years [3] (see Genetic Engineering Dream or Nightmare, ISIS publication): the unintended creation of new pathogens through assisted horizontal gene transfer and recombination.

Huber writes in closing: “I have studied plant pathogens for more than 50 years. We are now seeing an unprecedented trend of increasing plant and animal diseases and disorders. This pathogen may be instrumental to understanding and solving this problem. It deserves immediate attention with significant resources to avoid a general collapse of our critical agricultural infrastructure.”

The complete letter is reproduced at the Institute of Science in Society’s site.

Monsanto has released the following statement in response:

In a January 17, 2011 letter to the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, retired Purdue University professor Don Huber proclaims discovery of a plant pathogen “…that appears to significantly impact the health of plants, animals, and probably human beings.” The letter also alleges this pathogen is more prevalent on herbicide-tolerant genetically modified (GM) crops. No data was provided nor cited, and no collaborators were identified. When contacted, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) coordinator of the National Plant Disease Recovery System (NPDRS) was unfamiliar with information or research about the alleged pathogen and was not contacted by Huber regarding the alleged pathogen discovery. NPDRS is charged with mitigating threats to U.S. agriculture from severe plant disease outbreaks.

Huber has previously made allegations related to micronutrient uptake and diseases in connection with GM crops and glyphosate products. Independent field studies and lab tests by multiple U.S. universities and by Monsanto prior to, and in response to, these allegations do not corroborate his claims. Monsanto is not aware of any reliable studies that demonstrate Roundup Ready® crops are more susceptible to certain diseases or that the application of glyphosate to Roundup Ready crops increases a plant’s susceptibility to diseases.
Monsanto is the devil.
MplsBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #213
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsBronco View Post
Monsanto is the devil.
You won't have me argue with you on that.

Have you run into any problems with them/products?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #214
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:

No, just watched a documentary or 2 about them. Their genetically modified seeds and patents and the way they treat farmers is particularly appalling. Not to mention all their work with chemicals and the damage they done to land/communities.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #215
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
No, just watched a documentary or 2 about them. Their genetically modified seeds and patents and the way they treat farmers is particularly appalling. Not to mention all their work with chemicals and the damage they done to land/communities.
I didn't know much about them before I started working in a garden shop and running into information as well.

I now try to stay away as much as possible from GMO.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #216
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

The thing is, they go around looking for farms where their patented seeds have sprouted and then sue the farmers for growing their products. Thing is, their product ends on these farmers land from pollination from the wind or what have you. I guess you could blame the Supreme Court for allowing this crap to happen.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #217
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
The thing is, they go around looking for farms where their patented seeds have sprouted and then sue the farmers for growing their products. Thing is, their product ends on these farmers land from pollination from the wind or what have you. I guess you could blame the Supreme Court for allowing this crap to happen.
I know, it's pretty nuts. Did you see that the GM alfalfa is being looked at for livestock "aborting" their young?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #218
MplsBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I know, it's pretty nuts. Did you see that the GM alfalfa is being looked at for livestock "aborting" their young?
The first I had heard of it was from your article. It's horrifying. A true Pandora's box.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #219
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
The first I had heard of it was from your article. It's horrifying. A true Pandora's box.
It's pretty nuts, i agree. I also read about bees "walling off" pesticide laden pollen:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...s-entomb-hives

Honeybees 'entomb' hives to protect against pesticides, say scientists

By sealing up cells full of contaminated pollen, bees appear to be attempting to protect the rest of the hive

If bees are doing this...it's kinda nuts.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #220
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/06/mirac...o-killer-weed/

Miracle-Gro Expands From Weed Killer To Killer Weed

Posted by majestic on June 14, 2011

I fear the worst … previously healthy cannabis plants being infused with chemicals that are then smoked and, well, you know the rest. Dana Mattioli reports for the Wall Street Journal:

Scotts Miracle-Gro Co. has long sold weed killer. Now, it’s hoping to help people grow killer weed.

In an unlikely move for the head of a major company, Scotts Chief Executive Jim Hagedorn said he is exploring targeting medical marijuana as well as other niches to help boost sales at his lawn and garden company.

“I want to target the pot market,” Mr. Hagedorn said in an interview. “There’s no good reason we haven’t.”

Sales at Scotts rose 5% last year to $2.9 billion. But the Marysville, Ohio, company relies on sales at three key retailers—Home Depot Inc., Lowe’s Cos. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc.—for nearly two-thirds of its revenue. With consumers still cautious about spending, the retailers aren’t building new stores as quickly as they used to, making growth for suppliers like Scotts harder to come by. Against that backdrop, Mr. Hagedorn has pushed his regional sales presidents to look for smaller pockets of growth, such as the marijuana market, that together could produce a noticeable bump in sales.

Sixteen states have legalized medical marijuana, the largest being California and Colorado. The market will reach $1.7 billion in sales this year, according to a report by See Change Strategy LLC, an information data services company.

While the report focuses on revenue from growers and dispensaries, Kris Lotlikar, president of See Change, said the market for companies selling hydroponic equipment and professional services is also thriving.

“We see very good growth for these types of companies as the medical-marijuana business grows,” he said…

[continues in the Wall Street Journal]
Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #221
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:

Trouble is, Monsanto makes the herbicides, then GM's seeds to resist their herbicides. It's like they're trying to corner the market on growing food.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #222
Cito Pelon

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

My garden is doing fine. Radish, green leaf, strawberries, spinach, all producing. Cukes, squash, pole beans, onions, they'll do fine once they hit their stride. Apples, grapes likewise. Carrots from last year's fall seeding are getting harvested for more radish and chard.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #223
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Trouble is, Monsanto makes the herbicides, then GM's seeds to resist their herbicides. It's like they're trying to corner the market on growing food.

http://news.change.org/stories/organ...modified-seeds

Quote:
Monsanto has a history of suing farmers — even the little guys! — for patent infringement. The worst part is that oftentimes this "infringement" isn't even farmers' faults. GM seeds' DNA makes its way over to organic and conventional crops through processes like pollen transfer — through no fault of the small farmer — yet Monsanto holds these parties accountable for infringing upon the company's patented, GM technology.

“It seems quite perverse that an organic farmer contaminated by transgenic seed could be accused of patent infringement, but Monsanto has made such accusations before and is notorious for having sued hundreds of farmers for patent infringement, so we had to act to protect the interests of our clients," said Dan Ravicher, executive director of PUBPAT, in a press release.

http://www.truthout.org/obama-deregu...ion/1307023149

Obama Deregulates GMO Crops Despite Supreme Court Injunction

Quote:
Early this spring, while the world was distracted by Egypt’s uprising, President Barack Obama pushed the Secretary of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Agriculture to deregulate genetically engineered alfalfa and sugar beets in the United States. The USDA came through as he directed, totally deregulating these Monsanto-patented genes in early February.

In so doing, Obama and the USDA have chosen to override and ignore decisions and injunctions made by the U.S. Supreme Court that banned planting of genetically engineered alfalfa and sugar beets without consideration of the Environmental Impact Assessments, which showed high risks to organic and conventional (chemical) farmers.

So how does this affect you and me? Neither of us remembers seeing alfalfa or sugar beets on our breakfast table or even on our Seder table. Or do we?

Sugar beets provide over 50 percent of the sugar Americans use in their coffee, cereals, and desserts. For the moment, let’s not focus on the fact that sugar beets can cross-pollinate with red beets and make our borscht genetically modified.

Alfalfa reaches our tables within milk, cream, butter, and meat, as it is used as a major animal feed in the dairy industry. It is also used to enrich soils in organic farming.

At this time, no genetically engineered crops are permitted for sale in the European Union (though WikiLeaks has revealed that the U.S. government is exerting strong pressure on the EU to allow them). Thus this new deregulation will potentially close off present markets for organic farmers’ crops.

Last edited by alkemical; 06-17-2011 at 11:12 AM..
Old 06-17-2011, 10:54 AM   #224
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
My garden is doing fine. Radish, green leaf, strawberries, spinach, all producing. Cukes, squash, pole beans, onions, they'll do fine once they hit their stride. Apples, grapes likewise. Carrots from last year's fall seeding are getting harvested for more radish and chard.
We've had some wet weather out here, but it's been hot and wet. Things here are growing well, but we've had some blight/mold issues on some crops.

Pretty good overall. Back in the 90's next week.

How big is your grapevine?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #225
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth
Default Great thread!

Quote:
I've started this thread for a few years now, so I figure I'll start it again. It's time to get the earth turned over and get ready to seed and plant. Same old deal with me - pole beans, squash, radish, green leaf, cukes, onions, tomatoes. Strawberries I get plenty every year, raspberries the birds get them too fast. I'll get the grapes, apples later in the year. Wild plums I'll get plenty of them come late August.

So, what are your gardening plans?
I need help identifying websites for plants shipped to my home in Colorado.

I need to identify cool gardening methods of composting that can be stored with minimal space.

I want to create an outdoor perennial garden that is somewhat portable. I am looking for a small hydroponic herb garden that can be ground indoors or outdoors.

PM me with whatever cool websites, ideas, or concepts you think can help me pull this off.

What is the link to your previously posted thread? Anything cool there?
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote