The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #176
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://webecoist.com/2011/03/16/put-...-urban-garden/

Gardening is a skill and a hobby; it is a lifestyle and a talent. It is something that can either be bred into one’s soul or cultivated like a delicate flower, but once the love of growing things takes root it is impossible to dislodge. As addicting and love-inspiring as gardening is, it also defies all efforts to contain or restrain it. Those with the love of green things will find a way no matter what the circumstances. If we don’t have a flower bed we grow herbs and flowers in tiny containers on the kitchen windowsill. In the absence of a yard we grow tomatoes and peppers in buckets on the balcony. But these compromises are small in comparison to what some gardeners are willing to do in order to carve out their own little green spaces.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #177
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I bought a house in Florida and despite never having grown anything successfully (the kid is a work in progress, he might be the first success), I want to look into some plants. Thought you guys might be a good place to look for ideas.

The deal: The house has a great screened in 30x10 patio for grilling and sitting outdoors. The problem: The yard is only like another 10 feet from the patio to the fence (it's wider so there's lawn but the patio takes up much of the lawn in that portion) and I'd like to put something nice there to look at so we're not just staring at privacy fence.

The fence that I'm dealing with is the approximately lateral 4x4 cross sections with alternating 2x6 vertical fence boards. My idea was to get some sort of netting to make a basket between the alternating boards to plant things in and once they blossom out, it could be quite pleasant. If it could be something like a fruit bearing plant for the kid, that'd be a huge plus.

Anyone ever tried something like that? Got ideas? To explain better, here's a photo that I had a professional graphic artist develop.
Dude, you better get a few local landscape experts in there to give you some ideas. You need professionals for your area. You have to get it right the first time.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #178
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

I suggest you move your compost pile into a barn or garage -- or into a greenhouse to protect against radioactive rain.

I consider myself fortunate to grow food in a greenhouse. I water from a deep well -- so will have radiation free food.

It's much less of a problem if you keep it OUTSIDE the body.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #179
Ugly Duck
Proof: SD fans DO exist!

RF

Put the first tomato seedlings in the ground yesterday - Big Beef & Better Boy. Never tried growing a hybrid so figured I'd see what they're like. Planting some Black Krim & Pink Brandywine today if it stops raining long enough...
Ugly Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #180
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
I suggest you move your compost pile into a barn or garage -- or into a greenhouse to protect against radioactive rain.

I consider myself fortunate to grow food in a greenhouse. I water from a deep well -- so will have radiation free food.

Not sure if you are serious?
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #181
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Not sure if you are serious?
Oh, I'm pretty sure he's serious.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #182
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post

BS. I grow most of my veggies on a small farm in Japan. Recently, it's been popping out 50 lb tomatoes and my teeth have never been whiter.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #183
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Oh, I'm pretty sure he's serious.
Then he is a jack ass.

So far this year I have planted New Mexico green chilies (Hatch or Slim Jim), bell peppers, tomatoes, and assorted herbs. The asparagus came back from last year and is doing really well, surprising considering the beagles did their best to dig them up over the winter. I will probably get a few more in the ground over the weekend.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #184
Ugly Duck

RF

Got those tomato seedlings in yesterday, putting down black plastic & mulch today. C'mon, people - put those maters in the ground... yer burning daylight!

Heirlooms
Brandywine (2)
Pink Brandywine
Red Beefsteak (2)
Belgium Giant
Mortgage Lifter
Marglobe
Mr. Stripey
Black Krim (2)
Black Prince

Hybrids
Husky Cherry Red
Big Beef (3)
Better Boy (4)

Last edited by Ugly Duck; 03-29-2011 at 03:00 PM..
Old 03-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #185
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

I'm just doing one early girl, two grapes, and five or so Arkansas Traveler's this year. Had a bad harvest last year because it turned too hot and dry early on. I prefer the Cherokee Purple, but given that it's still pretty dry and water rates are going up, I'm doing them in containers this year, and don't have enough containers to take as many chances. Arkansas Travelers do pretty good here, usually. I'm not even putting peppers in. But in fall I might but some kale or even lettuce where the garden has been. If the rain's there.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #186
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

ive got a weird project going on, my mini greenhouse seed starter finally had a sprout (cucumber) im gonna post a picture of it everyday around the same time, almost like a flipbook to see how it changes. should i post it here?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #187
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
ive got a weird project going on, my mini greenhouse seed starter finally had a sprout (cucumber) im gonna post a picture of it everyday around the same time, almost like a flipbook to see how it changes. should i post it here?
I would say make a photobucket or something.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #188
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I would say make a photobucket or something.
yea i thought of that later, gonna make something else but it will be interesting. have 1 cucumber plant coming up, but they all got flooded yesterday from rain even with the top on it so i hope it didnt kill em all.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #189
Ugly Duck

RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
I prefer the Cherokee Purple, but given that it's still pretty dry and water rates are going up, I'm doing them in containers this year, I might but some kale or even lettuce where the garden has been. If the rain's there.
I'm guessing that you're not really from Folsom cuz this has been one rainy year in the Bay Area. Heck, we've had more rain than Seattle so far this season....
Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 AM   #190
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/dc/o...ain+%28Main%29

Container Gardening: Starting Small and Simple
Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #191
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Duck View Post
I'm guessing that you're not really from Folsom cuz this has been one rainy year in the Bay Area. Heck, we've had more rain than Seattle so far this season....
Naw. Bendog is from the Folsom block in Angola. Completely different place.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #192
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Sheesh, it was 23 degrees F this morning here. Another month to go before I plant any seeds.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #193
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

I didn't get them in the containers this weekend. I was a. struggling with my st augistine which is flat out dead from heat and drought and b. waiting for the rain that is supposed to come tonight to wash out my salvaged containers and fill my waterbarrel. I think containers will save water in the long run, plus I steal a gallon at work every day.

Actually the Folsom prison line is from the Johnny Cash song that I put on whenever my kid's belted in the backseat on a long drive. It pisses her off. But it speaks to me.....

I bet there's rich folks eatin',
In a fancy dining car,
They're probably drinkin' coffee,
And smokin' big cigars,
But I know I had it comin',
I know I can't be free,
But those people keep a-movin',
And that's what tortures me.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #194
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

and here I thought you were marginally incontinent in Angola all these years.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #195
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/04/scien...crop-collapse/

Scientist Warns That Roundup Ready GM Seeds Could Cause Crop Collapse

Posted by phunkychic666 on April 12, 2011

Roundup_herbicide_logo

The Institute of Science in Society’s Dr. Mae-Wan Ho reports that a USDA senior scientist has sent an “emergency” warning to US Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack regarding a new plant pathogen in Roundup Ready GM soybean and corn that may be responsible for high rates of infertility and spontaneous abortions in livestock:

An open letter appeared on the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance founded and run by Judith McGeary to save family farms in the US [1, 2]. The letter, written by Don Huber, professor emeritus at Purdue University, to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack, warns of a pathogen “new to science” discovered by “a team of senior plant and animal scientists”. Huber says it should be treated as an “emergency’’, as it could result in “a collapse of US soy and corn export markets and significant disruption of domestic food and feed supplies.”

The letter appeared to have been written before Vilsack announced his decision to authorize unrestricted commercial planting of GM alfalfa on 1 February, in the hope of convincing the Secretary of Agriculture to impose a moratorium instead on deregulation of Roundup Ready (RR) crops.

The new pathogen appears associated with serious pervasive diseases in plants – sudden death syndrome in soybean and Goss’ wilt in corn – but its suspected effects on livestock is alarming. Huber refers to “recent reports of infertility rates in dairy heifers of over 20%, and spontaneous abortions in cattle as high as 45%.”

This could be the worst nightmare of genetic engineering that some scientists including me have been warning for years [3] (see Genetic Engineering Dream or Nightmare, ISIS publication): the unintended creation of new pathogens through assisted horizontal gene transfer and recombination.

Huber writes in closing: “I have studied plant pathogens for more than 50 years. We are now seeing an unprecedented trend of increasing plant and animal diseases and disorders. This pathogen may be instrumental to understanding and solving this problem. It deserves immediate attention with significant resources to avoid a general collapse of our critical agricultural infrastructure.”

The complete letter is reproduced at the Institute of Science in Society’s site.

Monsanto has released the following statement in response:

In a January 17, 2011 letter to the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, retired Purdue University professor Don Huber proclaims discovery of a plant pathogen “…that appears to significantly impact the health of plants, animals, and probably human beings.” The letter also alleges this pathogen is more prevalent on herbicide-tolerant genetically modified (GM) crops. No data was provided nor cited, and no collaborators were identified. When contacted, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) coordinator of the National Plant Disease Recovery System (NPDRS) was unfamiliar with information or research about the alleged pathogen and was not contacted by Huber regarding the alleged pathogen discovery. NPDRS is charged with mitigating threats to U.S. agriculture from severe plant disease outbreaks.

Huber has previously made allegations related to micronutrient uptake and diseases in connection with GM crops and glyphosate products. Independent field studies and lab tests by multiple U.S. universities and by Monsanto prior to, and in response to, these allegations do not corroborate his claims. Monsanto is not aware of any reliable studies that demonstrate Roundup ReadyŽ crops are more susceptible to certain diseases or that the application of glyphosate to Roundup Ready crops increases a plant’s susceptibility to diseases.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #196
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I consider Monsanto one the most purely evil organizations that have ever existed.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #197
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Well, the hail got me last night. We had a drift 2 feet deep where it emptied from the roof onto the back porch. It Happened over a 6 min period. Crazy, it was mostly pea size so no structural damage but my garden really suffered. Hoping it will bounce back. Anyone from North Texas get caught up in that storm?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #198
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://webecoist.com/2011/04/25/12-o...ug-repellants/

12 Organic Fertilizers & Natural Bug Repellants

Some good info.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #199
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400HZ View Post
I'm going to grow some goddamn tomatoes this year.
talk to like you are a bad ass that will work
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #200
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
http://webecoist.com/2011/04/25/12-o...ug-repellants/

12 Organic Fertilizers & Natural Bug Repellants

Some good info.